• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Baseball 2016 v Stand Up and Ring your Bell

5.5 games at this stage is not insurmountable. long way to go but the giants look pretty good to win the division.

alasdair
I agree, too soon! Look at 2014 world champs from the wild card. I'm born and raised in The Bay Area but I am a huge Dodger fan. It's a lot of fun with the family and friends!
Lots of fun in general with the rival teams are playing each other.

ouch. saw that in the highlights. With the Yankees in the basement I have little positive to post here except that baseball is a cruel sport, with much dependent upon what's going on behind the scenes, the simple maxim that you win ⅓, lose ⅓, and talent decides the rest, but above all, reversion to the mean (we had a little streak going a while back.) Simply have to dump some of these big contracts and (by traditional Yankee practice) pick up some new ones, hopefully actual young studs this time (although this might be banging our heads against the proverbial wall), our farm system is systemically shit although full of decently talented young players at all positions who might just have a chance at making a difference but are systematically hyped and thus just have a chance of breaking our collective hearts as well.

boston is losing 20-2 at home to the angels :(

alasdair
My QUESTION is even with a win like that how does mike scioscia have a job! All these years and no proformance from the "Los Angeles of Anahiem" ( that is not LA it's Orange County). I shake my head! Dodgers swept Rockies.....

which pirate outfielder is going to dethrone mccutchen as pittsburgh's baseball hero?
starling marte (.321 avg, 6 hrs, 31 RBI, 24 SB(2nd in ML), was clocked at 104mph throwing a guy out at home from LF, 2015 gold glover

or

gregory polanco?
.297avg, 12hr, 50 rbi
he won't hit 30 HRs this year but he will do it back to back seasons before he retires

i promise pirates don't miss the playoffs

which pirate outfielder is going to dethrone mccutchen as pittsburgh's baseball hero?
starling marte (.321 avg, 6 hrs, 31 RBI, 24 SB(2nd in ML), was clocked at 104mph throwing a guy out at home from LF, 2015 gold glover

or

gregory polanco?
.297avg, 12hr, 50 rbi
he won't hit 30 HRs this year but he will do it back to back seasons before he retires

i promise pirates don't miss the playoffs
Gregory Polanco

Gregory Polanco

i hate that he tries to speak english to the press, he sounds like a retarded white man

i like that marte just speaks his native spanish and let's some dude translate it, i like to beleive he speaks no english because he's too busy studying all the pitchers delivery to the plate

i hate that he tries to speak english to the press, he sounds like a retarded white man

i like that marte just speaks his native spanish and let's some dude translate it, i like to beleive he speaks no english because he's too busy studying all the pitchers delivery to the plate
Two each is own! It's not about language, it's about the game .

Last edited:
i come from baseball royalty, coach at the HS level and have played some form of the game at a high level since '93

you really think i care how they speak? my least favorite players are white guys and i'm a stupid redneck

just trying to bust my favorite players balls, you know, like dugout talk?

you must not have any personal experience to the game...baseball players are kings of ball busting

good luck to your doyers, because i'd rather face them in the play offs over cubs, mets, marlins, or giants

i come from baseball royalty, coach at the HS level and have played some form of the game at a high level since '93

you really think i care how they speak? my least favorite players are white guys and i'm a stupid redneck

just trying to bust my favorite players balls, you know, like dugout talk?

you must not have any personal experience to the game...baseball players are kings of ball busting

good luck to your doyers, because i'd rather face them in the play offs over cubs, mets, marlins, or giants
I apologize , I took your response incorrectly. You can talk ball! I come from a huge baseball family that had been drilled into my head since I can remember. I respect when a person knows there stuff , hard to find!
My Uncle is a former Brooklyn Dodger.
I don't think The Dodgers will make it to post season with Kershaw out and I have a feeling it's more than a month. We'll see ! Those Orange and Blacks just don't quit.... Things will be more in action after The All-Star game.
Once again sorry for being curt.

lol @ brewers getting charged with an out for accidentally batting out or order. the weird and crueller thing about it was from what I saw he actually had a hit—is that the technicality or were the imps not paying attention until that point either?

who for the al pennant? rangers I think; surprised Vegas favors boston. lester has not been in top form. the top of that division (sadly not including my yanks down by 7) is tight they're currently back by 2 which means nothing; the wc race is just as tight. idk maybe we see a long shot. cleveland?

people loves the cubbies for the nl but they got bent over the proverbial barrel and just embarassed by the mest who have been their kryptonite. gotta come back at wrigley. obviously for the pennant the next choice (by a rather large margin in current Vegas future terms) is gints but love a dark horse. nats? dodgers getting not quite the respect they describe imo (+750 vs giants +375; cubs are something crazy like +180)

Once again sorry for being curt.
i'm just fucking around man

that's cool about your uncle, my great uncle is joe collins
my older brother was a first team D2 all star his junior year in college
he's convinced that if i worked 1/2 as hard as he did i could have played minor league ball but i refused to lift weights in HS so by default i also refused to try out in college, i was a career 4-4 with 3 doubles off of player of the year in my high school's division - never faced a pitcher that could blow a fast ball past me

i kind of suck at hitting these days(fast pitch men's softball), i peaked back in like '09, playing slow pitch for a summer when i lived in GA in '10 kind of fucked with my swing and '10-'12 i went a little too hard with the substance abuse

i still play a dope 3rd base though, i've got long ass arms that allows me to knock down anything near me and have an accurate strong arm/quick release

where's the confidence with the doyers man? pirate's starting rotation has been dogshit and are without gerrit cole for another few weeks and i'm not worrie

brewers pitcher junior guerra(31 year old rookie) is looking like NL ROY potential - good for the brews, they are not a threat

i'm rooting for the indians or mariners in the AL, like it's the mid 90s

yeah I like the indians as a contrarian choice in the AL; my yankees I'm afraid are pretty much out of it unless there's a real confluence of circumstances with at least two out of baltimore, boston, and toronto, or in the wild card race, and then pretty much are limited from there :( so at this point we really need to be selling/looking to trade for young talent even developing the minor leagues or trading for promising kids to develop there. the old men aren't hitting that well except Beltran at .296/.337/.567 and 19 HR, he's been DHing a bit, AROD isjust not delivering (.222/.259/.383 "just" 8 HR he had I think 20ish at this point last year and a way more solid OBP in particular); some of the younger guys are promising, didi went from the laughingstock of the city to one of our better and reliable players (walkoff HR the other day, I'm tired of typing out stats here on my phone lol but he's doing pretty good9 HT and an .752 OPS. anyway, apart from just a few, sell, sell, sell … but who's looking to buy?) we're stuck in tail-end-of-contract/"development" hell and there's nothing NY sports fans hate more than the word "development ..."

jose reyes to mets, now activated; people will complain because of his dv incident. but he did his suspension and lost $6 million for his trouble. he was playing terrible before the suspension iirc so it will be interesting to see him compete with flores for 3b assuming that's whats gonna be happening

yankees don't even really have any stars anymore

which upsets me because their AAA team is only a 15 minute drive from me

rehab assignments are the shit, i remember when clemmons pitched for AAA scranton
there was some buzz floating around the real twin cities leading up to that start

prior to that schilling was the once in a lifetime appearance for the scranton/wilkes-barre red barons(R.I.P. 1990ish-2005ish) back in like 2000
in HS we used to go to a good 8 games in the summer and watch rising stars like chase utley, ryan howard, brett myers, mark madson, marlon byrd and nick punto play against guys like coco crisp and milton bradley

I love a good minor league ball game. I'm directly in Manhattan, not very far from Yankee Stadium, and don't drive, so nio real minor league games are accessible. Growing up though in upstate NY we could take a bit of a drive (but that's all relative, if you're in the country or in the city, isn't it? What would be "a bit of a drive" up there is a "long ass ride" down here even though it's the same length of time.) to see the single-'A' Oneonta Yankees, who were way back affiliated with the Red Sox instead, and eventually became the Oneonta Tigers (1998), and then eventually moved out of state :( but I have many fond memories of Damaschke Field, small, a bit out of the way in a small college town with lots of bars many of which would admit us even when we were (quite) underage and a lot of weed, etc. So we had some times there. I miss for sure.

15 minute drive is about 16 miles

i'm in the sticks but only a few traffic free miles away from interstate 81

i could have sworn that brooklyn has a minor league club? no? or maybe i'm confusing them with altoona (south central PA..birthplace of SHEETZ) curve, because of the roller coaster at the stadium lol

that is a shame that none of the 5 Burroughs have minor league or independent league baseball or hockey

i've only been to one minor league game in the past 10 years and only because the school i coach at gave the team free tickets to opening day, which was called after like 5 innings because of rain :(

speaking of seeing professional players before they make it big, i got to see sean burroughs(earthquake kid, '91 or '92 pretty sure played for northridge, CA.....don't think he's currently in the bigs) and todd frasier(tom's river, NJ, believe that his squad made the finals in back to back years) play in the little league world serie

from '91-'00 williamsport was our yearly poverty family vacation

brooklyn does indeed have a minor league team, the cyclones, part of the Mets system I forget what level but they are all the way out in Coney Island.

The Long Island Ducks are an independent baseball team which has a really great small but faithful following out there I've been to one game it was really fun.

the college i went to played at an independent team's stadium like 25 miles off campus in washington, PA

the washington WILD

never did make it out to a game, it's hard being around the game and not being eligible to play or coach non-professional baseball, i get antsy as shit as a spectator

i hope they have an on campus stadium by now

I would actually really like to coach kids, maybe in the 13-15 yo level but not having kids I dunno if that's looked on poorly or whatever besides I don't have any baseball experience since high school. I was not that great tbh mostly played outfield did not hit for power but got on base enough and did have some modest moments of glory like bunting in the winning run of a local playoff game ;)