• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

David Wooderson

Bluelighter
For a kid who grew up reading and collecting comics in the late 80's through the mid 90's almost all comic book movies have disappointed me.

I was in grade school when The Dark Knight Returns came out and in junior high for The Death of Superman.

Those two different stories resuscitated the comic industry and could have done the same to the movie industry it now supports, but because Hollywood can seemingly screw anything up they decided to warp elements of the two stories into one movie. I really wish they would just let me handle it ;)

When I watched the first trailer for the movie I was impressed, but after reading more about the script and watching the following trailers I decided before watching it that it sucked really bad.
That way if it was even remotely watchable it would impressed me.

But!

IMO it was a pretty good movie, WAY better than anticipated.

I had hopes but this is one of the times the reviews will keep me away.

IMO The Death of Superman story line was a terrible marketing ploy, but never the less could have made a great trilogy.

The Dark Knight Returns is still one of my favorite mini series and I feel it had the depth to make a brilliant Batman movie, I just don't understand why on earth they didn't just adopt that story into a movie and follow through.

Without spoilers this is my pro and cons of the movie:

Pros:
Ben Afflek (I never thought he would be as great for this roll as he is, he makes a great Batman)

Film Score (The score of the film was surprisingly awesome)

Plot (With everything written it appears on paper to be a clusterfuck of characters, but the story is pretty on point, given the nature of blending two comic stories and the multitude of characters it could have gone very wrong like it does in 99% of most comic book movies, BUT they did a good job)

Aesthetics (I like the overall look and style of the movie, I was bracing myself for a "Batman Forever'esque" style and was pleasantly surprised it is much more like Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight. The new Batmobile is pretty awesome as well)

Cons:
Casting (My biggest gripe about the movie is casting and not in relation to Ben Afflek, he was great, but Jesse Eisenberg and Gal Godot were TERRIBLE choices)

Lex Luther (I can understand rebooting Lex Luther as some millennial rich twat, but he seems to be confused as he really tries to act like The Joker. Had he not tried acting like some fake nutcase he would have gotten a pass but I got the feeling that he was auditioned as The Joker, lost the role but never stopped acting like one. Also since when is Jessie Eisenberg so big that he can just play his arrogant self? Dude has no range as an actor)

Wonder Woman (I am not against women at all, just female supremacists, and you get the feeling that some powerful bulldyke twisted someone's arm to include a "strong female lead" and instead of using the plot of WW in The Dark Knight Returns, they instead created a character that is as powerful, rich and flamboyant as Batman and Superman. She has NO depth, she has NO lines, she basically just shows up to either outsmart or physically save Batman and Superman.....because they're dumb men of course (Kinda reminds me of the Rey from Star Wars:!). She looks NOTHING like WW, she doesn't even have an American accent! (because she can't act) She seems more like a foreign spy than an asset of the United States. She is not buff like Wonder Woman is in the comics, she looks like what the actor really is....a model. So instead of giving er character any depth, most of her face time is spent posing. They should have left her in the mind numbing world of Fast and Furious where she belongs)

Superman's Costume (It looks like material used on cheap vinyl/plastic ghetto purses. It looked better to me in the Superman movie, but the costume looks so fake and computer generated (like all he Hobbit movie costumes) they did a better job on Batman maybe because his costume isn't made up of strong primary colors)

I think the reason for opposition for this movie is related to the fact that the plot blends two very popular comic story lines together.
Many people like myself want to see TDKR on film faithful to the source material, every time they take elements from that story they drive fans crazy because Hollywood will never get it right.
If someone had created all this from scratch.....it would be a phenomenal film, but because it's an adaptation of two very big story lines it can only deliver so much.

If I was a kid (who is unfamiliar with the comic plots) I would be insanely satisfied, as an adult who grew up on those plots I am still satisfied.

Last edited:
Another Pro (Aquaman, The Flash and Cyborg (what don't remember cyborg, neither does anyone else) had very incredibly brief cameos instead of plot characters)

I for one hope that someone makes an edited version of this film without the cameos and Wonder Woman, you literally could delete their scenes and it would change nothing other than being more enjoyable.

Another Con (Casting choice of The Flash, the actor Ezra Miller looks like michael jackson in the Remember the Time video, you could blink and miss the cameos for the most part but I don't see myself watching anymore DC movies for a while. I don't like the concept of the Suicide Squad movie, nor does any justice league movie have any appeal.

Last edited:
Another con (whoever played Senetor Finch is a terrible actress and I would bet money on the fact that before last year's editing job (The movie was supposed to have come out last year, instead they have been deleting (editing) for a whole year to make the film watchable for it's actual base) the version presented to moviegoers is a romantic twist between her and Lex Luthor because watch her, she acts like some prone cougar on a young male lad vs a senator out for justice.

Another con (Superman Saving a kid from fire in Juarez...........when in reality Superman could RESIDE in Ciudad Juarez and I sincerely doubt he would make a single difference in actual crime because just like American politicians the writers of this movie only care about money ("Oh yeah imagine Superman lifting an injured mexican immigrant child SURROUNDED BY PEOPLE IN SKELETON FACE PAINT! OMFG that would sell tickets....to idiots who don't speak English!", not actual moral ground or life in general. It looks so much "COOLER" for a man in a digital outfit "save" a child (Future Democrat) from ONE burning building to a crown of assholes in zombie makeup (because he saw a report from a TV in the kitchen filled with ILLEGAL immigrants, telemundo no doubt) seriously that is the actual plot, lmfao) I would bet my soul that in actuality Superman would make a deal with a drug kingpin, because he would realize how corrupt and weak humans are as a species and wipe us all out for good measure.

Last edited:
Some (maybe most/all? I Don't know) of this movie was shot in my town. Jesse Eisenberg came into my work one day and everybody lost their shit.

That's probably all I'll have to say about this film.

I folded and watched it last weekend. It was okay. Decent eye candy since I saw it in IMAX 3D.

Agreed they fucked up Lex Luthor.

bravenewmetropolis1.jpg

Wonder Woman (I am not against women at all, just female supremacists, and you get the feeling that some powerful bulldyke twisted someone's arm to include a "strong female lead" and instead of using the plot of WW in The Dark Knight Returns, they instead created a character that is as powerful, rich and flamboyant as Batman and Superman. She has NO depth, she has NO lines, she basically just shows up to either outsmart or physically save Batman and Superman.....because they're dumb men of course (Kinda reminds me of the Rey from Star Wars). She looks NOTHING like WW, she doesn't even have an American accent! (because she can't act) She seems more like a foreign spy than an asset of the United States. She is not buff like Wonder Woman is in the comics, she looks like what the actor really is....a model. So instead of giving er character any depth, most of her face time is spent posing. They should have left her in the mind numbing world of Fast and Furious where she belongs)

Why would WW have an American accent, when she is an Amazonian Greek goddess?

I liked this movie, a little long, but visually it was great and it was a nice follow up to Man in Steel. I went with my 9 yr old son, who obviously is DC crazy, and even he wasn't enough of a cynic to pan it.

I'm looking forward to the Wonder Woman film next year now

Why would WW have an American accent, when she is an Amazonian Greek goddess? I liked this movie, a little long, but visually it was great and it was a nice follow up to Man in Steel. I went with my 9 yr old son, who obviously is DC crazy, and even he wasn't enough of a cynic to pan it. I'm looking forward to the Wonder Woman film next year now
I too am amazed that it didn't suck as much as it was anticipated to, I myself thought there was zero chance that I would even agree with the movie much less like it, I guess my love of star wars (which was destroyed 1,000,000,000 times over) has made me protective of my toys (Universe...bulldykes, fuck you corporate bulldykes for your wrong assumption of thinking "If boys like it, lesbians like it".... Fuck Superman and all the assholes who wasted their lives writing/drawing Superman! Seriously Superman is a horrible character that has aged accordingly so, lfao seriously if DC wasn't racist than Superman would have been the black alter ego "Steel", lmfao For a male who alwayd hated super"man" I am so happy with the ending Seriously Superman only exists due to a Nazi-like attraction to figures or numbers, something on paper seems extraordinary, but in reality sucks ass Fuck Superman and his entire history, seriously Superman Sucks Ass....literally I got about as much enjoyment watching his funeral as I would watching my favorite team win their division!

Last edited:
I have yet to see this movie, but I do plan on it.. I just recently watched Man of Steel, and really liked it.. I think I will wait for DVD release before watching though!! I also came across the Barbie Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman dolls... I bought them... Alot better detail and quality vs. the smaller action figures!!

lol all this film says is hollywood are high and dry of ideas lol actually getting the good superheroes against eachother ill never watch it but I know it will never be as good as the dark knight such a good actor the joker cant remember his name shame he passed away

... and Cyborg (what don't remember cyborg, neither does anyone else)

woah, hold up! Cyborg is freakin' awesome! just cuz you don't recall him from your limited pool of comic book knowledge, doesn't mean he is weak / lame character ~ when he is, in fact, quite bad ass!!

tumblr_n1eajybDnr1r6oak3o1_500.gif

seriously, man. DC has a whole cadre of stereotypical, flat, one-sided characters to call out. my man Cyborg simply ain't one of them!

Fuck Superman and all the assholes who wasted their lives writing/drawing Superman! Seriously Superman is a horrible character that has aged accordingly so, lfao seriously if DC wasn't racist than Superman would have been the black alter ego "Steel", lmfao For a male who alwayd hated super"man" I am so happy with the ending Seriously Superman only exists due to a Nazi-like attraction to figures or numbers, something on paper seems extraordinary, but in reality sucks ass Fuck Superman and his entire history, seriously Superman Sucks Ass....literally I got about as much enjoyment watching his funeral as I would watching my favorite team win their division!

and although I vehemently agree with you on your Superman hatred, calling Supes a Nazi is a little bit of a hilarious mistake. Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster were New Yorkers that both were the product of Jewish immigrants. during WW2 comic books would often-times feature Supes battlin' it out with Adolph Hitler, himself, on the cover. one can even take it a step further and connect some dots and say that Superman is a modern retelling of the old Jewish golem story, or perhaps a twisted take on Nazi Germany's "ubermansch"... but Nazi?

nah. Superman is fucking lame, I've always said it, but calling him a Nazi is a bit dumb of an opinion (no offense, I'm sure you are extremely bright & talented)

as far as the movie, I haven't seen it yet. solely because it appears to be exactly what I think it is. also because just like the poster I quoted, I wonder why they don't just let me fucking write/produce the 1st meeting of Batman/Wonder Woman/Supes? instead of borrowing heavily from the 2 aforementioned titles, I would borrow heavily from my fave DC Comics 3 way:

154765.jpg

also, I can't believe this butt of a Director is allowed to direct the upcoming Justice League movie? god fucking dammit, DC Comics. it is insanely hard to screw up a movie with all these loveable characters ~ steeped in Americana ~ but just us watch how one company single-handedly destroys their franchise

you didn't dig that 2004 effort featuring Thomas Jane? I thought it was pretty decent. I mean yah, it wasn't mind-blowing by any means, but a quick Google search revealed that it was universally shat on by those movie critic types... but I think it's wayyy better than that, at least?

the most memorable scene from that movie was that epic fight between the Punisher VS the Russian. damn! even if that take on ol' Big Pun was butt, you can't talk spliff on that very brutal, very long, fight scene!

EX3vre.gif

also, look @ the big picture here. I've always thought that Punisher '04 kinda spurned big-budget (and big-awesome) Marvel movies that we all know & love, today. whatever film studio that took Punisher on, took a not-so-famous comic book character & made an (at least) decent movie out of it. even if the critics universally panned it, I remember comic book nerds being quite mildly surprised... in a good way

fast-forward like 2 years later and ka-BOOM! you got Iron Man. and that was such a big hit & money-maker that it started the comic book assault that we all know of today

however, I am down with your hot take that it could be time for another Punisher movie. Big Pun is a common accessory to Daredevil, and since that DD show has become such a big hit - I reckon they gotta introduce him here pretty soon??

Bad casting for Lex Luthor.
Bad casting for Lois Lane.
Wonder Woman is stupid.
Otherwise, this was okay.

Same film as Captain America: Civil War.
But, this felt less forced to me.

Avengers movies, and other super hero film, make too many in-jokes and self-references.
Deadpool is the worst. The jokes are awful. Like something a little boy might come up with.
I don't want to watch a gangster film full of gangsters are making fun of gangster films.
It's not as clever as some people think.

Comic relief is easy in this (super hero) context.
The jokes don't even have to be good.

Like that annoying little bearded troll in LOTR.
I saw this in the cinema. And everything he said was, apparently, hilarious?

The original Superman movies were great, because they had constraints.
There weren't fourteen super heroes competing for screen time.
I liked Man of Steel for the same reason.

Most super hero films that come out these days are a mess.
They are not even functional films, really. But, they please crowds with explosions and CGI.

although this film sucked, just by watching the new teaser / trailer for Justice League, it seems as if this director has learned from son of his major mistakes and made Justice League better cuz of it

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Movie Blurb by Shale
March 25, 2016

I had trepidations about this movie, more than the fact that it is two and a half hours long. The whole premise was ridiculous to those who know these comic book characters. Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) is a dark, morose crime fighter in Gotham as Batman, but altho he is exceptionally well built fysically, his powers are limited to his technology and get past that and he can be hurt. Whereas Superman (Henry Cavill) is - well, Superman. He is impervious to anything Earth or Earthlings can throw at him, so aside from Kryptonite being in the mix, how could Batman ever go mano-a-mano with Superman?

Actually, Kryptonite is thrown into the mix as well as Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) the young CEO of LexCorp, who as we all know is out to get rid of Superman who foils his nefarious plots.

Clark Kent, Lex Luthor & Bruce Wayne Being Civil
post-104726-0-22156700-1458957298.jpg

So, why would these two crime fighters be at each others throats? This movie opens a year and a half after that Extraterrestrial battle between Superman and General Zod, that destroyed much of the high rises in Metropolis with thousands of ppl killed. Bruce Wayne lost some of his favorite colleagues in the destruction and all the other aliens are gone, leaving Superman holding the guilt. He is even being summoned by a Senate Investigation led by Senator June Finch (Holly Hunter).

Batman Pissed Off
Ben-Affleck-is-really-proud-of-Batman-v-Superman-Dawn-of-Justice-670x388.jpg

Meanwhile, as Clark Kent working at the Daily Planet, Superman is appalled by the Batman vigilante who is now branding criminals before leaving them for authorities. He starts investigating this against the wishes of his boss Perry White (Laurence Fishburne),

OK, we all know that Batman is dark, conflicted and generally messed up character, working morosely in his basement with his trusted butler/confident/technician and only friend Alfred (Jeremy Irons) but this movie brings out some of that anger in Superman as well and they get into a skirmish before they finally have a knock down drag out fight.

Superman Pissed Off
batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice_superman_angry-t3.jpg

On a good note, Superman is now shacking up with Lois Lane (Amy Adams) making all the fan boys wonder anew how she handles the "Man of Steel." And, you know Lois is going to be part of Lex Luthors plot.

In the end, this mysterious woman Diana Prince (Gal Gadot) who has been keeping an eye on Bruce Wayne while he was spying on Lex Luthor, turns up to join the epic battle as Wonder Woman.

Batman, Wonder Woman & Superman Join Forces
trinity-1.jpg

I actually liked the movie and the way it played off the problems caused in "The Man of Steel" movie. This is the beginning of DC comix Justice League and hints of some of the future characters were flashed by on a computer monitor.

The aggregate critics on Rotten Tomatoes only gave it a 31% but 73% of audiences liked it. The film was apparently made for fans and not critics.