Widespread Panic threaddddd.

I am seeing them again this month. It will be my 5th Panic show and I have yet to attend a bad one.

I can see them in two months near were I'm at. I think it's time to see them.

Last edited:
I like my next door neighbour. I know she likes Phish. Would Widespread be a nice just friends/date concert?

I've seen more panic shows than I care to admit. I still see them when they come through town, but I like the old Mikey stuff and have kinda lost interest. Regardless, I'm glad they still tour. I spent the best years of my life chasing that band around the country. I did the New Years run at the fox. That was a good time. Nothing spectacular, musically, but always a good damn time.

This was my first show:

05/06/95 Chastain Park, Atlanta, GA
1: Proving Ground > Travelin' Light, A of D > Wondering, West Virginia > It Ain't No Use > I'm Not Alone, Can't Get High, Radio Child, Pickin' Up The Pieces > Fishwater
2: Conrad, Happy Child > Driving Song > Low Rider > Driving Song, Help Me Somebody, Gradle, Papa's Home > Drums > Papa's Home, Smoke And Burn, Diner > Porch Song > Blackout Blues
E: Dream Song, Ain't Life Grand
[Slow 'Porch Song']
Song Stats

Thanks. Well answered. Btw, the tickets are something like 2 for 1 or $23.50 a piece. It's on.

Word on the streets is that the band will be taking most of 2017 off, so see them this year while you can.

Thanks for the update. Just found out, the show is 3 hours away. That's no big deal.

I'm a fan of most famous jam bands but Panic never really did it for me. I've seen them around 5 times now and never left with that feeling of awe you get leaving a phish or dead show. Their sound reminds a bit of a southern AC DC

Im with scratch as far as liking earlier panic much more.. but I will be dropping in on panic for a few show run whenever I get a chance. my boy just jet set off to catch them.. little jealous... wish i was in a panic in Austin.

Last edited:
Saw them with the Allman Brothers once. Won't bad won't good.

I also saw them once when they opened for the Allmans in '09 and that's how I felt about them it wasn't bad but it wasn't like seeing phish, the Allmans or the dead live for the first time for me, and I have no huge urge to see them lots of times, or travel far to see them.

I thought they sounded better with Houser, and I'm a huge Jimmy Herring fan. My friends who I went to the show with love WSP but don't like how they don't play in the Northeast for multiple nights that much compared to how often they play in the Southeast/South, or even Midwest.

If I were going to see WSP again I'd only go to hear Herring, and if they were playing with another band I liked to see the other band. Or I'd go if friends who I used to go to lots of shows with who I rarely get to see now that we're all adults with careers, and no longer in university, had an extra ticket and the show was local I'd go.

Last edited:
All good answers. Helping me decide. I agree, they are no Phish. I never seen them, so first time is my reason. The shoes I saw on YouTube were good, but they were different years. I have time to decide. The input is great.

Dave Schools is one of the best players on the planet. I go for him. The dark under belly and housers grinding guitar was lost on a lot of people. Jimmy plays over the band and drowns out that dark underbelly sound that drew me to them in the first place.

Agree with Priest, Jimmy is a complete badass, I just don't think he fits with panic.

All good answers. Helping me decide. I agree, they are no Phish. I never seen them, so first time is my reason. The shoes I saw on YouTube were good, but they were different years. I have time to decide. The input is great.

Just go to the show. You said your neighbor wants to go with you, so go and have fun. :) The music itself isn't bad it's just not something I personally like. Everyone's different. They're worth seeing at least once.

Dave Schools isn't bad on bass either. I saw him as a guest at a mule show after Woody died.

Dave Schools is one of the best players on the planet. I go for him. The dark under belly and housers grinding guitar was lost on a lot of people. Jimmy plays over the band and drowns out that dark underbelly sound that drew me to them in the first place.

Agree with Priest, Jimmy is a complete badass, I just don't think he fits with panic.

I agree that he's not a good fit with WSP and is even wasting his talent playing with them. But I've seen him with the dead, Allmans, and with Col. Bruce Hampton.

Last edited:
IMO schools is one of the more technical and best bassists of our generation. Dude is a total stud. Musically, he's always been on another level than everyone else in the band until jimmy came along. It's so weird that Jimmy can't fit the mold. Pretty much everyone I grew up seeing panic with agrees. Houser wasn't anything great as far as guitarists go, but his sound just worked. He played with the music, not over it. It was smooth as butter, like riding a wave.

Agree on jimmy with all those other bands. He's outstanding with them all and he was also really good with jazz is dead and PLQ.