• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Mindfulness Based Harm Reduction Resources

Finished and updated a number of sections. More stuff coming soon :)

Although I see I totally skipped over the third link :\ I'll get to it sooner or later.

Thanks for linking me to this toothpastedog! I'm very rusty with my meditation and now in recovery I yearning to practice it more than ever. Also going completely straight edge and trying to follow the vows and noble path for 3 months on a trial basis :) Then see how I go from there (I have a feeling it will turn into something much more than trial, but we can only wait and see). :)

Many thanks

F'loki

I'm really glad you are going to use it to your advantage! Basically all the stuff I have included in the MBHR Resource Sticky is most of what my practice consists of. I'll respond to your other posts regarding your mindfulness and meditation experience tomorrow. Sleep well you beautiful human being :)

16 years doing Buddhist meditation and will never ever give it up. Mindfulness sorts everything out, blooming amazing. And easy to practice once you get the hang of it. Loving kindness/meta-bhavna a lifesaver as well, especially if you start doing it regularly. It has really helped to appreciate all the people in my life more, even if they are giving me hell.

Last edited:
16 years doing Buddhist meditation and will never ever give it up. Mindfulness sorts everything out, blooming amazing. And easy to practice once you get the hang of it. Loving kindness/meta-bhavna a lifesaver as well, especially if you start doing it regularly. It has really helped to appreciate all the people in my life more, even if they are giving me hell.

16 years is extremely impressive. Even people I met at retreats in Nepal admitted they 'fell off the wagon' and found that the daily meditation slipped slowly to once every 3 days and then once a week....Then just sporadic.
Glad you have seemed to find Right Motivation. As I have been constantly told by numerous teachers and monks, it's not about how long you meditate every day as long as you are doing at least some meditation, even if it's just 5 minutes on a day you are genuinely incredibly busy or perhaps travelling.

Great to see we have a little Sangha here for people in recovery (can we not make a sangha sticky thread for like minded Buddhists in recovery? That would be cool). :D That's fantastic and I am sure this support network here is going to help me and others just as much as my outpatient rehab programs.

And thanks Toothpaste - I ended up meditating over 30 minutes last night and it turned into a loving kindness meditation, gave me a lot of peace I have not felt in a loooooong time. I only realised that I hadn't meditated properly with real focus for a few years - much longer than I thought. It was like a "going back home" feeling.
And the meta has made me reevaluate the difficult people in my life and bring me a lot closer to forgiveness already, just after one session, and turned a lot of anger into compassion for them and focusing hard on sending positive energy there way to heal their suffering. :) Now I just have to keep the motivation up. But recovery is really driving that...In a way, becoming a junkie and self-destruction actually seems to have put me on the right path again.

I slept much better last night btw: 7 hours pretty solid. That is amazing for me tbh.

Already reaping the benefits after just one session is a good feeling. :)

Thanks again.

Same here. Drug addiction and self-destruction turned out to be the things that forced me to go in the right direction. In the end, you stop hating that part of yourself because you realise that without it you would never have got to where you are today, or where you are heading.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't religiously kept my meditation practice solidly over those 16 years. But there has barely been a moment, and in the last ten years I don't think a single one when I have questioned the validity of what I wanted to do, which is to follow the example and teachings of Buddha. My main practice is maintaining and strengthening Motivation. And eventually you realise that your entire life can be transformed into a meditation which takes you closer and closer to where you want to go. One of the most beautiful things about Buddha's philosophy is that it enables you to take whatever crap there has been and is in your life and change your perspective so it actually becomes something really positive. I really feel like now that if I really try and practice there is almost nothing I can do that won't be powerful fuel for my journey. My life and the world around me are a constant teacher, all that we are trying to do is see things as they really are, without any of the illusion, lies and hallucinations that normally totally pervert how we see things. I could never have been religious because I don't like being told what to think, but for me Buddhism is not a religion, through it I have simply been guiding to dig deeper in myself and try and see everything more clearly, for what it is. it's amazing. Sometimes I sit here and think 'what have I done to get this opportunity and to be in a position where I am beginning to understand these things.' And it actually couldn't be simpler, we are not looking for anything new, everything we need to discover is already there, we just need to get our hands dirty, put a bit of effort in, and try and uncover them.

All my advice comes from my (limited) personal experience of Buddha's philosophical teachings anyway and they have helped me so much I am confident they will do nothing but benefit others. I don't need people to think like me, I just want people to be healthy and happy (including myself!).

I don''t want to sound holier than thou here, I will happily put my hands up and say I can be totally hypocritical, that as a human being I am flawed and that I have and will make mistakes. But that's ok. And at least I am trying.

Much love to all of you making big courageous steps on your journey to recovery and self-realisation. It takes guts. I am going to be living in a Buddhist community, probably for six months, from next Wednesday (exciting as well as scary but a necessary step in my own journey. I will have internet so will be on here regularly to say hello and see how everyone is doing.

Last edited:
Don't worry you don't sound holier than thou at all. I can tell from what you say you have a fantastic motivation and a solid practice.

Saying you are not perfect is a sign you have your ego (in the Buddhist sense) under pretty good check. Being able to be brutally honest with yourself is a sign of ego softening, and being able to take criticisim - even if it's unfair - without reacting negatively and violently/aggressively is a great sign too. At the end of the day we are all hypocritical. I know of monks and teachers who smoke cigarettes, i've even hung out with monks at a funeral in Laos who were getting drunk all night on beer. lol
Accepting your imperfections is vital.

It does take guts, you are right. Looking inside yourself and facing everything your ego tries to hide and trick you into believing about the world takes real courage and strength. A monk put it like this to me once: "It takes the strength of a warrior to look really honestly inside yourself and at all your weaknesses and accepting them without aversion. In a way we are dharmic warriors."

WOW. 6 months in a Buddhist community!? And I thought those 10 day vipassana retreats were insanely tough! lol Best of luck to you with that, glad you will have internet so you will be around here.

Best of luck to you

Thanks very much for your kind words and encouragement. We are warriors indeed. We must be to face those demons.

4781360059_97f3a9fe72.jpg

You're doing great things by posting all this. Helping a lot of people for sure, probably more than you know. :)

One thing I didn't see in your posts (or maybe missed) is a practice someone bought up yesterday at the clinic about how to deal with difficult situations, cravings or any high stress moments: It's called S.O.B.E.R

SOBER Breathing SpaceThis is an exercise that you can do almost anywhere, anytime because it is very brief and quite simple. It canbe used in the midst of a high-risk or stressful situation, if you are upset about something, or when you areexperiencing urges and cravings to use. It can help you step out of “automatic pilot”, becoming less reactive,and more aware and mindful in your response.A way to help remember these steps is the acronym SOBER.

S – Stop. When you are in a stressful or risky situation, or even just random times throughout theday, remember to stop and do this exercise. This is the first step in stepping out of automatic pilot.
O – Observe. Observe the sensations that are happening in your body. Also observe any emotions,moods or thoughts you are having. Just notice as much as you can about your experience.
B – Breath. Allow your attention to settle on your breath.
E – Expand. Expand your awareness to include the rest of your body, to your experience, and to thesituation, seeing if you can gently hold it all in awareness.
R – Respond. Respond (versus react) mindfully, with awareness of what is truly needed in thesituation and how you can best take care of yourself.

http://www.sdtherapist.com/tools/forms/SOBER.pdf

I think it is a useful supplementary practice for those in recovery.

That sounds like a fantastic practice. Useful for everyone but especially those in recovery. Mindful responses to everything in our lives is what we need, then we can be in the driving seat and not get carried away with ego nonsense chatter.

Awesome to see folks taking an interested in the MBHR resource sticky! :D <3

I will share my thoughts in detail when I have enough time to do your thoughtful posts the credit they deserve :)

Vipassana Excise 1: Metta-Vipassana

Instruction: Sit in a comfortable position, repeating each phrase in your mind, mouthing it silently if you wish, for 2 to 45 minutes depending on skill and familiarity. Remember, go easy on yourself. There is no rush, you have you whole life ahead of you.

First, bring to mind the image of someone who brings to mind peaceful, pleasant feelings. It could be a teacher or a friend. Generally these will be people you do not have a very close relationship with, as the closer our relationship with someone the more complex it tends to be. It could be a person you know personally or an a public figure you relate to. Begin with silently repeat the phrase in your mind, "may you be peaceful," while visualizing their image. You may also add their name into the phrase. Work with various people until you find someone who reliably produces a peaceful feeling state, representative of the relaxed coolness and calmness that is the mind state of lovingkindness.

Once you are comfortable working with two or three difficult people who's images reliably produce the mind state of metta, move on to working with yourself. Use the phrase, "may I be peaceful." Visualize yourself or the outline of your body, your general presence, meditating.

After you have spent some time working with yourself, begin to work with a friend or loved one. This should also be someone who brings to mind more of a mind state of metta than more difficult emotions, so again these will probably not be someone you experience a challenging relationship with.

It is suggested you work with those first three categories until you are comfortable and familiar with them before moving on to more challenging categories. Further categories to explore in practice include neutral figures, those you have challenging and activating relationships with such as parents or family members, those who bring to mind highly difficult, activated feelings such as your enemies.

Metta practice is traditionally ended with a focus on all beings. Repeat the phrase, "may all beings be peaceful," while you visualize those around you in building, your local region, your country, your continent, the world and the universe. Try and focus on the expansive quality to this practice.

Other basic phrases you may wish to explore working with:
  • May my body be at ease just as it is right now.
  • May my mind be at ease just as it is right now.
  • May I live with ease in the face of life's challanges.

This is fantastic and is what I am practicing at the moment with amazing results (after less than a week of practicing this after a few years of letting my practice slip away), I would highly recommend once you have become adept at simple mindfulness you move onto this more advanced technique. It's extremely powerful.

The only thing i'd say is that I was taught this differently in Laos and Thailand by monks - but of course there are millions of variations on meditation techniques depending on what school of Buddhism you approach (which is the beauty of it).

This is how I was taught how to do Metta-Vipassana combination technique.

1. Practice mindfulness meditation; Count your breathe until the mind is settled. Be patient with this: Sometimes it can take me just 2 minutes, other times 15 minutes. Be patient with yourself, the mind is different everyday.
2. Start with developing feelings of loving kindness to YOURSELF. This may seem counter-intuitive to the teachings of Buddhism and it's selflessness, but the fact is you cannot love others without first loving yourself. This is what I was taught and I find it makes perfect sense.
You may also find it's very hard at first to do: Like when you try to write down "good" things about your personality, it is difficult for most of us, but easy to do for people we admire!
So if you have issues you can first focus on someone you admire and love a lot and have no issues with, build that loving kindness energy in your chest area: You can even visualise it as a ball of powerful soothing white energy. Hold it there. Then repeat mantras to yourself like: "I deserve happiness, I have the Buddha nature within me like all other living beings, I am imperfect like everyone else and that is absolutely fine." etc. If you have real issues you can also combine this with the Forgiveness Exercise below posted by toothpastedog.
3. Once you feel that love towards yourself, then again move on to someone you admire (though not a lover or anyone you feel sexual feelings towards, as this can really ruin the whole practice by distracting you). Sit with the metta. Be patient, don't rush it.
4. Now move onto someone you feel neutral about. The guy at the shop that serves you from time to time, the bus driver, a neighbor you feel indifferent about etc. Develop the metta again for this person. You will probably find it's a little more difficult now, but you can repeat those mantras above, and also contemplate how you do not know them and what there life is like, times they may have been surly or hostile towards you were days they were having bad days or they don;t enjoy there jobs at all or they were having a bad time with depression or family problems at home. Contemplate that and build metta for them. If you have real trouble, go back to the person you admire, and re-build the metta, then try again.
5. Now it's time to work with those difficult people. They may be enemies. Make sure they aren't too overwhelming, just people you have difficulties with, not outright hatred (these people that have caused you real abuse will be too difficult at this stage for most to deal with - you can deal with these people as your practice improves, as it will).
Again, contemplate how they are suffering inside for some very powerful reason, and this is why they have been hostile and aggressive towards you, or hurt you. They may have had an abusive childhood or some terrible thing happen to them. Really contemplate this. Forgive. If you feel anger in your stomach rising, sit with it, breathe it out, and return to developing metta.
Be really patient with this part. You can now test by going through from self to admirable person to neutral person to this enemy or difficult person. Is the feeling of metta the same for all of them? Then congrats! You have made a genuine change to your perception of people.
6. Now take this metta and spread the feeling across your neighbourhood, your city, your country, the whole world, to all animals, humans all living beings. Wish them all happiness. Sit with the metta as long as possible.
You can at this point even progress into a meditation on 'interconnectedness of all things' - contemplating how we are all interconnected and so any feelings of animosity is really pointless and the metta can then really flow naturally to everything.
7. When it feels like a natural time to come out of meditation, do so very slowly. Stretch your legs slowly. If you have a Buddha statue focus on the face while stretching out of your lotus or cross legged position. Let the insight and compassion you have developed wash over you for a couple of minutes and maybe say a prayer to your Buddha statue wishing all living beings happiness. Dedicate your practice to the world including your own peace and happiness!

If you are practicing this with someone you can then chat after 5 or 10 minutes about your experiences. Or if you are doing it alone, post your experience online.

After you have done this practice after some time you should start seeing results in the "real world": The insights and changes of feelings towards difficult or neutral people you gained in the metta-vipassana practice should manifest itself in some powerful and wonderful ways that will bring you a lot more inner peace and happiness and less stress in your life: You will find yourself being more friendly to strangers (those neutral people), you will love those close to you even more, you will be more grateful, you will notice things in nature you perhaps didn't notice before that are very beautiful, and those difficult people who may still try to attack you: It wont affect you nearly as much, because you know they are suffering, so how can you really be angry back (which just causes you suffering too)? You may find you respond to their hostility with gentle jokes that calms the situation down, or you may ask questions like "How is your day going? Is everything ok?" which will over time soften their ego too and you may even find they become friendly towards you over time.

But as always don't expect over night results. This is not a particularly easy meditation, but with persistence it will become easier and will have a profound affect on your life.

It really works and anyone can do it. If it didn't work it wouldn't still be practiced by millions of people 2500 years on lol

Hopefully this proves helpful. It's just an alternative way I have been taught by Therevada monks on my long stints living and travelling in South East Asia.

Love to all of you.

F'loki

Actually now I read back the two aren't so different at all lol My lack of mindfulness and haste! haha

You're doing great things by posting all this. Helping a lot of people for sure, probably more than you know. :)

One thing I didn't see in your posts (or maybe missed) is a practice someone bought up yesterday at the clinic about how to deal with difficult situations, cravings or any high stress moments: It's called S.O.B.E.R

SOBER Breathing SpaceThis is an exercise that you can do almost anywhere, anytime because it is very brief and quite simple. It canbe used in the midst of a high-risk or stressful situation, if you are upset about something, or when you areexperiencing urges and cravings to use. It can help you step out of “automatic pilot”, becoming less reactive,and more aware and mindful in your response.A way to help remember these steps is the acronym SOBER.

S – Stop. When you are in a stressful or risky situation, or even just random times throughout theday, remember to stop and do this exercise. This is the first step in stepping out of automatic pilot.
O – Observe. Observe the sensations that are happening in your body. Also observe any emotions,moods or thoughts you are having. Just notice as much as you can about your experience.
B – Breath. Allow your attention to settle on your breath.
E – Expand. Expand your awareness to include the rest of your body, to your experience, and to thesituation, seeing if you can gently hold it all in awareness.
R – Respond. Respond (versus react) mindfully, with awareness of what is truly needed in thesituation and how you can best take care of yourself.

http://www.sdtherapist.com/tools/forms/SOBER.pdf

I think it is a useful supplementary practice for those in recovery.

I like this a lot, it is basically the same thing as stop with some of the steps being a bit more explicit. I like STOP because I find that anyone can relate to it a bit easier than the more recovery oriented mindfulness practices, but they are just different names for exactly the same thing :)

Thanks for your contributions! I have been meaning to respond to some of your other messages, I apologize for the delay. Been busy (which is good :)). I'll get around to them sooner or later, and I look forward to replying!

I like this a lot, it is basically the same thing as stop with some of the steps being a bit more explicit. I like STOP because I find that anyone can relate to it a bit easier than the more recovery oriented mindfulness practices, but they are just different names for exactly the same thing :)

Thanks for your contributions! I have been meaning to respond to some of your other messages, I apologize for the delay. Been busy (which is good :)). I'll get around to them sooner or later, and I look forward to replying!

haha no problem! Keeping busy is good (though not too busy of course!) and I know you do a lot for the site. I've tried PM'ing you are a couple of times but your inbox is always full which is testament to that!

I'm glad you are okay with my contributions. I am just finding mindfulness, vipassana-metta and meditation on 'emptiness' practices extremely helpful at the moment in every area of my life: I am finding I need less sleep - which is fantastic for benzo withdrawals and tapering - even if I feel groggy in the morning then I still feel positive rather than slipping back into old thinking "OMG I am so tired now my day will be ruined because I might get a headache and wont be able to be as productive"....lol Now I just laugh and ask myself why can't I be productive? It's a choice like everything else. Like, if I get a headache I can take some herbal teas, do 10 minutes meditation at lunch, or if it's really really bad take some ibuprofen (though I am trying to avoid that)...A lot of my phobia of not being able to sleep has come from this negative thinking/anxiety. And insomnia is really the root cause of all my opiate and benzo problems. So if others have a similar problem I encourage you to try these meditations, stick with them for at least month to see if they work for you (for most I find if they really stick with them they do). They really change your perspective on everything very deeply.

Anyway, thanks for everything you've done here and your hard work.

F'loki.

Really? My inbox isn't nearly at capacity, but I'll go through it and delete some stuff. And you are very welcome, BL and SL have done a lot for me, and I get a lot out of working for the site. So it works out well for everyone involved :)

Really? My inbox isn't nearly at capacity, but I'll go through it and delete some stuff. And you are very welcome, BL and SL have done a lot for me, and I get a lot out of working for the site. So it works out well for everyone involved :)

Weird, though this was a few days ago so it might've cleared...Or just a bug.

Well if you ever need help with any of the meditation sections and Buddhist psychology I am at your service. Though not sure what I can really add to what you have already built up. Everyone from Tihtch Nhat Hanh to Noah Levine :D Pretty awesome.

"Dharma Punx" is a great documentary for those who like there punk music and lifestyle but want to still carry it on throughout recovery and being straight-edge :) It shows you can still enjoy shows and all those punk bands being sober, and removes that fear of "OMG if I give up my drug of choice/problem use I will not be able to do the things I used to do and will destined for a life of being bored and sober". lol

Just decided today after talking with a very cool psychologist and my wife that we are going to India, Nepal and Sri Lanka for 2 years after my recovery and rehab is done and I am completely clean (so hopefully this june/july). Feels like the right time to go back, and every single family member and friend I have mentioned it to has said absolutely go for it. I want to eventually build up the strength and wisdom to maybe teach meditation, yoga or perhaps explore Ayurveda medicine: I think I have a lot of potential that's only just being released by hitting absolute rock bottom with heroin and benzos. I want to build on that and just go for it, be a healer, focus on helping others and getting attention away from my anxiety that is the root cause of many of my problems (not just the drug meltdown the past 2 years i've had). Got a real feeling I had to completely self-destruct to come out stronger and to find my real purpose in life (I mean I enjoy my travel writing - it's a cool job, but I have had a feeling I want to do more, something more purposeful).

Definitely bee-lining it to Dharamsala to do retreats and build my way up past intermediate meditation and take it as far as I can. :)

You should think about adding Myanmar to your list and check out Mahāsi Sayadaw. His Manual of Insight is one of the premier pieces of literatures on the vipassana tradition (well, technically his thing is metta-vipassana, but as you know already the two practices feed off and into one another).

That sounds like a wonderful adventure you're planning, definitely something to be excited about and look forward to! It's pretty fucking awesome your partner is so supportive!

Yep an absolutely crazy 2 weeks i've just gone through - to having a mini-OD on heroin and waking up choking on my puke then spending the rest of the day puking and the next 7 days in cold turkey withdrawals. Then benzo withdrawals.
Then throwing myself (almost literately) into an outpatient rehab, actually shutting up and accepting help, going to a billion different therapy sessions. Getting back into Buddhism and my vipassana-metta-mindfulness meditation, deciding today to go to India-Nepal-Sri Lanka for 2 years with my wife once I get off the benzos (opiates and everything else are gone for good - 2 weeks today and counting :)) hopefully by late summer, cutting my mega beard and hair for charity in a couple of weeks, taking up running, buying a punchbag and boxing gloves, getting back into painting, dabbling with the idea of going vegetarian.....This whole being straight-edge thing isn't so bad.

2 weeks sober (benzos aside which I am tapering) :) Feeling positive as I have a life to look forward to now. Had some really hard days but that is life.

Congrats to all of you and ENJOY being clean and what it can give you!

F'loki

I would love for you to help me add to the MBHR thread F'Loki! Please post any ideas or suggestion you might have for exercises, meditation instruction, or anything related to mindfulness's application to harm reduction and recovery! It would be a real honor to have another BL helping me with the project :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You should think about adding Myanmar to your list and check out Mahāsi Sayadaw. His Manual of Insight is one of the premier pieces of literatures on the vipassana tradition (well, technically his thing is metta-vipassana, but as you know already the two practices feed off and into one another).

That sounds like a wonderful adventure you're planning, definitely something to be excited about and look forward to! It's pretty fucking awesome your partner is so supportive!

I would love for you to help me add to the MBHR thread F'Loki! Please post any ideas or suggestion you might have for exercises, meditation instruction, or anything related to mindfulness's application to harm reduction and recovery! It would be a real honor to have another BL helping me with the project :)

Went to Myanmar in 2008 - retraced my grandfather's footsteps through his old photos (he was stationed there as a Military Policeman during WWII and the Korean War). Was quite crazy back then with the military junta in control and the revolution (mainly lead by monks) in the air, I was followed a few times by very amateurish secret police which the monks would point out to me and basically yell at to go away (and they always would lol).

But anyway, to the point: I am looking into Mahāsi Sayadaw right now - tbh I had never heard of him so should be an interesting read. :) Thanks for that!
It's strange the first retreat I ever did was in the Tibetan tradition but I have gradually shifted to metta-vipassana naturally over time (though Tibetans have their own form of the metta practice).

Yes I am very fortunate my wife really is my soulmate - we don't have the typical marriage. lol Never even planned to get married just sat on the sofa one night watching breaking bad in 2012 and said, "Should we just get married? Yeah okay, why not? I don't want to be with any one else." Get my credit card out and we went online and chose an engagement ring lol Romantic huh? lol Yet we see so many marriages with huge problems and we just don't get it. The only problems we've had is been recently and that was all due to my heroin and benzo addiction. The rest of the time we literately travel the world and just write....Always broke but pretty happy (until recently). We've been through a hell of a lot, seen so much together, and we are absolutely fine now (and I am sure always will be), she has got counseling to deal with me lol She is going back to Canada for a few months because she misses her home and we've been living in each others pockets on the road for over a year now, which is not healthy for any couple (space is important no matter how much you love someone) - she and the therapists we've seen individually both say they think it's a mature decision and may give me the time to recover too without any pressure. Though I will of course miss her and her support dearly. :( But I understand - she has been really burnt out (she is over-compassionate and can't say no to people and bottles things up and then really explodes) and deserves this time to herself and I will not let my attachment get in the way :) It's not as if we cannot skype and I am in jail or in a warzone anyway lol

Well I would be delighted to help in any way I can with the MBHR sticky, though you've really done an excellent job in covering so many teachings and teachers and the different techniques I am not sure what else I can help.

Thanks for your commitment to this site - you are making a real difference to A LOT of people.

F'loki