25463018156_a67f4ae359_z.jpg

Sigmond
YzFaHOP.jpg

SKL
mundane_street_scene.jpg

hydroazuanacaine
tumblr_o3t45frId01v9quoao1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
A while back I came across a peculiar fellow, quite ostentatious, at times egocentric and magnanimous, patently grandiloquent, who taught me the value of juxtaposing the profane with the mundane. I shall try to honor him with my submission in this weeks contest.

Last edited:

On my way home from Michigan the longest and most monotonous part of the drive hands down was western Iowa and Nebraska--I kept joking to my son that it was the cure I have been seeking all my life for insomnia. But in reality, I found it to be very beautiful in an understated way.

I have to come up with a plan B. I was thinking I would be able to capture my urine stream by utilizing the long exposure on my camera. Sadly, capturing urine mid-flight turns out to be quite difficult.

No offense socko but I think you should be disqualified because your photo is too complex and creative to be considered mundane.

nice photo herbavore! its good to see that you're participating again :)

good luck everyone!

No offense socko but I think you should be disqualified because your photo is too complex and creative to be considered mundane.
How come? I was actually trying to follow the suggestion you had in the first post : "A while back I came across a peculiar fellow...who taught me the value of juxtaposing the profane with the mundane..". It's a photo of a rain puddle with plastics bags, a lemon peel, and other trash reflecting the sky, trees, and the old Roman Thermal Baths. So I thought it fit the topic. Would it be better if I were to crop it just below the level of the street? The spot of sky would stand out more and draw the eye. I also took a picture of a pair of old shoes in the gutter, but I didnt like the angle so I didnt post that one. My other idea was a telephoto of a turd hanging halfway out of a dog's butthole while it poops with the Eifle Tower or Notre Dame Cathedral in the background. But that is a very hard shot to take and I would spend all day trying to find the right moment. Cropped;
NSFW:
LS35B0u.jpg

Last edited:
I was half-joking, more like 3/4 joking. At the time I was thinking the reflection in the puddle enlivened the photo rendering it invigorating.

I was being complimentary!

lol, I must admit that I considered the 'dog taking a shit in the city' option. One issue was the fact that I do not own a dog and the possibility that someone would have noticed me photographing their dog taking a shit was a risk I was not willing to take. -yet anyway- %)

switching submission- It's going to seem coincidental, possibly ironic, but I had no intention to imitate your photo in anyway. I came across this scene during a walk earlier today. I was sort of conflicted about posting this because its similar to your photo. In light of the tag used for the graffiti I feel almost obligated though.
YzFaHOP.jpg

mundane_street_scene.jpg

A few days after a disabling snowstorm, the city streets are back to their mundane routines—groceries and the mail are delivered, people shop, go to and leave work.

(6000x1000 original)

On my way home from Michigan the longest and most monotonous part of the drive hands down was western Iowa and Nebraska--I kept joking to my son that it was the cure I have been seeking all my life for insomnia. But in reality, I found it to be very beautiful in an understated way.

Hahaha! It truly is... Iowa isn't all like this, but this is really what you've got to look at from the highway.

lots of cool entries this round. i've been trying my hand at analog to scan ...

Last edited:
lots of cool entries this round. i've been trying my hand at analog to scan ...

Wow! While I don't know how well it relates to "mundane," I really love the photograph.Edit

Edit: This kind of reminds me of Rush's Roll the Bones album cover. :)

Last edited:
Agreed, many great entries.

Many different ideas of what "mundane" is ... certainly not all the photographs are, which is fine, that's the subject, something which we can use to fuel creativity I guess :)

Open till midnight tonight (i.e. 11:59pm EST Thursday 3/12), voting to commence then

Next topic, by way of contrast, will be Outrageous

This is going to be a hard one for me to vote on! I'm going to literally have to flip a coin between Hydro's and Socko's. Who wants to be heads and who tails?;)

... and it's socko and hydroazuanacaine in a tie:

FvB8UXx.jpg

Damn I forgot to vote! Oh well, it was for the best as I could never have decided between those two--they both deserve the win.:)