Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

malakaix

Bluelighter
latest

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

"A police detective in the asteroid belt, the first officer of an interplanetary ice freighter and an earth-bound United Nations executive slowly discover a vast conspiracy that threatens the Earth's rebellious colony on the asteroid belt."

Has anyone else been watching this?

I was poking around yesterday for something to watch as I've exhausted every other show and I came across this Sci-Fi series. I had zero expectations with this, and to be honest I was just looking for a filler show in the evening after work but wow what an unexpected surprise. This has to be one of the best sci-fi series i've seen in a long time, it's based off a series of books consisting of five main novels - I honestly think this is what makes this show so interesting, there's a lot of detail and depth both with establishing the structure of the narrative and also with the tech involved and the politics surrounding it.

I'm only four episodes in but I highly recommend checking it out.

Last edited:
I liked the first episode. There was enough there to keep my interest. I just haven't really been in the mood for space TV. There were enough storylines that it had a good pace.

okay, y'all - the expanse is THE best scifi television show ever. for one thing, it's SCIENCE fiction, not space fantasy. notice how when the ship wants to go back, rather than making a wide turn, it stops accelerating, flips a 180 then starts back accelerating. and no damn lasers - which, btw, are invisible in space anyway. and no oh so convient artifical gravity. in fact, when the detective pours a drink on ceres, you can see how it pours at an angle due to spin gravity.

but that doesn't make a great show. consider the characters - UN Assistant Undersecretary Shohreh Aghdashloo, third in line for ruler of earth, a crassly spoke Indian woman, with beautiful saris and voice like a lifelong two packs a day smoker. Julie Mao, who is dead or worse when the show starts, but as Detective Miller investigates her disappearance, and, indeed, falls in love with her, we build a huge sympathy for her. she's the daughter of an uberrich corporate father, silver spoon, who abandons all that to join the oppressed outer planets alliance, becoming a true hero of the people - only to suffer a fate worse than death when she's infected with an alien bioweapon.

i could go on for days...

in all honesty i did watch this and i did enjoy it from what i recall... that being said i can not remember one single characters name =/

anyways hopefully a refresh before new season premiere will get me hype again.

mainly i watch it for the space visuals.

pewpew

Somewhat old news but Netflix acquired the show last month, so it should get greater exposure to a wider audience. - http://deadline.com/2016/10/space-drama-the-expanse-streaming-netflix-1201834745/

"Netflix has acquired Syfy space drama The Expanse as an original series internationally. Season 1 will be available to stream for Netflix members outside of North America and New Zealand beginning November 3, with Season 2 slated for 2017. Legendary Global TV Distribution acquired the international distribution rights to the series from Alcon TV Group in 2014. It premiered on Syfy in the U.S. in summer 2015, and Season 2 is set for premiere in 2017."

Yeah I can't remember a single characters name either, I think what stands out for me with this sci-fi compared to other recent ones is the depth of politics and social dynamics while bearing a close sense of realism in science fiction which is likely the next step in human civilisation (Asteroid mining, Mars colonisation). It helps tremendously that the source material is from a series of written novels.

Last edited:
Just watched it all through. Great series, looking forward to the second next year.

I finished the series and it really does grow on you. A 2nd season would be great.

does this mean netflix is making season 2? that's when it gets really hairy and the protomolecule shows its teeth.

The first two episodes of season 2 are out, seems to be combined into a 1 and half hour episode

The 2nd season seems to be better or at least off to a great start.

Goddamn I'm really loving this show. Season 2 is really picking up.

all i have to say about the last ep is...

i'm bummed [spoil]miller[/spoil] has been killed off

Second series going great. Also thujone, do we really know that, given the whole proto-molecule thing?

i guess not but i actually hope so because it's such a played-out gimmick to show characters in unsurviveable situations miraculously come back into the story.

no new ep this week :(

thanks, i misread the air date as the release date :) sooo now it is sounding like they're going to find something (or someone) on Venus :\ so much for my assumption that the plot would pivot away from that!