• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Worried about amphetamine abuse

poochypooch

Greenlighter
I am currently prescribed dexmethylphenidate (focalin) for ADD/ADHD. I usually take 10mg a day or less, but took 30 mg through sublingual administration two days ago. The most noticeable problem I have noted is that one of my legs periodically throbs and feels numb. I have returned to my therapeutic dosage since I got high. Is it possible that this one-time abuse caused permanent damage to my cardiovascular system?

30mg is not that high of a dose, so you should be fine, do you suffer from anxiety?
But shit happens so you might want to go to a doctor and get checked, just to be safe

I suffer from some anxiety, and have a history of heart attack in my family. Last time I had my blood pressure checked, I recall it being slightly higher than normal. I think this is hereditary. Also, I still have a reduced appetite, two days later from abusing it. I know this isn't a high dose, and I'm also young, but I just want to make sure.

Maybe take a break, eat healthy and work out etc.
Got to a doctor, better be safe than sorry :)
Edit: You don't have to tell him that you took too much focalin, just tell him your symptoms and tell him that your family has a history of heart attacks

It is highly doubtful that it caused any damage at all, never mind any serious or irreversible damage. Is it an instant-release form, or an extended-release? If it's Extended, it is even less likely because sublingually, it would not have even absorbed all at once, it would have digested and released when you swallowed it, as it normally would, throughout the course of the day. I am more inclined to think that your anxiety is the root of the problem. If you were able to relax about the increased use, you would probably find your symptoms disappear, they are most likely psychological manifestations. If not, it never hurts to get things checked out, but don't get yourself too psyched up about it. Even if there were something wrong, worrying isn't going to make it better. In the future, remember this feeling and it will hopefully prevent you from doing it again.

Still, it's highly doubtful that there was any damage, not to down-play anything, it's definitely not a great thing to do to yourself. A single dose like that probably didn't do anything harmful, getting yourself checked out would probably be a good idea if symptoms continue, if to do nothing besides set your mind at ease, but I think that's likely the root of the issue. I bet if you were able to relax a little about it, you would find your symptoms disappear rather quickly. If you find yourself obsessing over it, have a check-up to ease your mind. The stress and worry is probably worse for your heart than the Focalin was. Lessons learned?

yea dude you are totally fine. I have ADHD too and I'm prescribed 40mg focalin a day. 20mg xr capsule in the AM and 2 10mg IR tablets in the afternoon. I have also taken more on some days when I have alot of work to do.

Still, it's highly doubtful that there was any damage, not to down-play anything, it's definitely not a great thing to do to yourself. A single dose like that probably didn't do anything harmful, getting yourself checked out would probably be a good idea if symptoms continue, if to do nothing besides set your mind at ease, but I think that's likely the root of the issue. I bet if you were able to relax a little about it, you would find your symptoms disappear rather quickly. If you find yourself obsessing over it, have a check-up to ease your mind. The stress and worry is probably worse for your heart than the Focalin was. Lessons learned?
I definitely am not going to take that much in such a short period of time anymore. At the time, I was really depressed and upset about something, and just wanted to feel good. I need to figure out healthier ways to cope with my emotionall problems. Thanks for the help, guys.

I definitely am not going to take that much in such a short period of time anymore. At the time, I was really depressed and upset about something, and just wanted to feel good. I need to figure out healthier ways to cope with my emotionall problems. Thanks for the help, guys.
Good decision, working out and just walking outside while the sun is shining always helps me, when I'm down

^^^^agreed. If you don't get control over this now, you could wind up addicted to more powerful, potent, life-altering substances in the future. Getting a handle on it now is certainly the way to go.

yea dude you are totally fine. I have ADHD too and I'm prescribed 40mg focalin a day. 20mg xr capsule in the AM and 2 10mg IR tablets in the afternoon. I have also taken more on some days when I have alot of work to do.
I take a higher dose than OP as well and I'm just fine and their dose is pretty low but I've learned to avoid using that as an example of why something is safe or unsafe.
Some of the amounts of drugs people here talk about using would put me in a coma!

I am currently prescribed dexmethylphenidate (focalin) for ADD/ADHD. I usually take 10mg a day or less, but took 30 mg through sublingual administration two days ago. The most noticeable problem I have noted is that one of my legs periodically throbs and feels numb. I have returned to my therapeutic dosage since I got high. Is it possible that this one-time abuse caused permanent damage to my cardiovascular system?

What you did, I myself did it about 4,400x, every single time it felt like my heart would stop, and it never did. I guess you learn to ignore it.