• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Pot almost killed me.

Concernedhypocrit

Greenlighter
Okay so here's my (friends) story, question, voiced concerns, and entire reason I finally made an account here. A friend of mine has done various chemicals for several years from dmt to meth and all the in betweens. They've had extensive experience with iving pretty much all of them as well. But recently, well 20 minutes ago something happened that has never happened before so I would like to share in an attempt at harm reduction, and to gain possible insight , bc if this can so carelessly happen to my friend it can happen to anyone. About an hour ago a solution of mdma and water was injected, seconds later the effects were felt as usual. Nothing different then the previous 100 times. About 30 mins ago another solution was being prepared, this time though when the powder was scooted into the water, some keif from the card I was using fell into the water... Oh well, right? No big deal just some plant matter right? So it was left in it. The solution was brought to a boil and then sucked up through a filter. This time the effects were very unusual, very unpleasant. Within seconds a heat wave hit the skin followed by harsh seemingly restricted breathing, a pins and needles sensation all over, huge welts starting from the injection site and continuing up the arm, as well as on the face, itching, redness all over, swollen lips, dizziness, nausea all getting worse over the next five minutes. I'm almost 100 % certain it was an anaphylactic reaction, however, thankfully without the last two (most serious) symptoms, which are anaphylactic shock and ultimately death. I'm sharing this to stress how Important it is to remain sterile when dealing with anything thats going in your vein. Even if it's just a little keif. I'd like anyone to chime in if something similar has happened to you or if you have another explanation of what might have happened. Thank you all and I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to bluelight.
Just so you know, we don't refer to ourselves in third-person here.
So you can just say "i" rather than this "my friend" stuff :)

That is a pretty scary story. You really cannot be too careful when it comes to intravenous drug use and cleanliness, as well as doing all you can to prevent these kinds of contaminations getting into solutions intended for injection.

Seeing as this happened a short time ago, i would urge you to seek medical attention.
Even if you feel fine, there is a serious risk of complications, such as endocarditis - an infection of the heart which can eat away at the valves of your heart and cause very serious health problems (and death).
Thank you for posting this warning - to be honest i don't think it is safe to assume you are out of risky territory yet.
If you go to your local emergency dept, or see your doctor as soon as possible, they will be able to run some observations and tests - and if necessary treat any further complications that could arise from putting unsterile plant matter directly into your blood stream.

I don't want to alarm you or sound dramatic, but this sort of mistake does warrant a medical follow-up, especially as it only happened a short time ago. The sooner you can get checked out, the better.
Take care, be safe.

Hey, thank you for being welcoming and clearing that up. And I appreciate your concern as well. As of now all the symptoms have resided, except a Light redness where the welts/hives were. No labored breathing or pain at site of injection. I live with a trauma nurse, although she doesn't know what happened I was very close to seeking her aid. With that being said I do plan on talking to her about what she thinks and also if anything at all persists until tomorrow morning then I will most certainly seek medical attention, worry not. Now just to clarify, the solution was sterilized after the contaminate ( pot) was introduced. Bc I decided it wasn't worth It to dump it out and start over bc I already added the last of the powder. And furthermore there were no particulates in the solution after it was filtered and put into the syringe. I believe once the pollen from the plant material dissolved into the water, a micron filter couldn't separate the two. Even if it could have sufficiently filtered it out, I believe I am actually a very unlikely and unlucky candidate for one of the few people that develops allergies to cannabis specifically. To back up that claim, second hand pot smoke alone will irritate my eyes and trigger a sinus/ allergic reaction watery nose etc, cigarette and wood smoke don't. Not to mention on more then one occasion I have touched nothing but fresh unmolested cannabis flower and proceeded to wipe sweat from my face, low and behold 10 mins later I've got serious hives on my face, in fact similar to the ones from just a few minutes ago. So along with needle safety, the additional point I'd like to add is that allergies are nothing to play with. Even something as simple as cannabis, even when you're so minimally allergic to it, can be deadly if put into your blood stream. If I would've died tonight I may have very well been the first death attributed to anaphylactic shock triggered by cannabis

Pot almost killed me

I'm rewriting this bc I accidentally deleted the original trying to edit. As follows
Okay so here's my story, question, voiced concerns, and entire reason I finally made an account here. I have done various chemicals for several years from dmt to meth and all the in betweens. I've had extensive experience with iving pretty much all of them as well. But recently, well 20 minutes ago something happened that has never happened before so I would like to share in an attempt at harm reduction, and to gain possible insight , bc if this can so carelessly happen to my friend it can happen to anyone. About an hour ago a solution of mdma and water was injected, seconds later the effects were felt as usual. Nothing different then the previous 100 times. About 30 mins ago another solution was being prepared, this time though when the powder was scooted into the water, some keif from the card I was using fell into the water... Oh well, right? No big deal just some plant matter right? So it was left in it. The solution was brought to a boil and then sucked up through a filter. This time the effects were very unusual, very unpleasant. Within seconds a heat wave hit the skin followed by harsh seemingly restricted breathing, a pins and needles sensation all over, huge welts starting from the injection site and continuing up the arm, as well as on the face, itching, redness all over, swollen lips, dizziness, nausea all getting worse over the next five minutes. I'm almost 100 % certain it was an anaphylactic reaction, however, thankfully without the last two (most serious) symptoms, which are anaphylactic shock and ultimately death. I'm sharing this to stress how Important it is to remain sterile when dealing with anything thats going in your vein. Even if it's just a little keif. I'd like anyone to chime in if something similar has happened to you or if you have another explanation of what might have happened. Thank you all and I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum

Last edited:
As noted there has already been some discussion on this thread before the OP accidentally deleted it.
(I wonder if any mods or senior staff that see this could possibly resurrect the old thread and merge with this one?)

Anyway, just for posterity, i will post the last response i added before the thread disappeared, as i think there are some points still worth adding to this;
spacejunk said:
Cannabis pollen/resin isn't water soluble, so i very much doubt it dissolved.
You may have had a bad reaction for a number of reasons, but i think the particulate matter in the shot is a prime suspect (in my medically uninformed opinion).

How did you sterilise the shot after the contamination happened?
The reason i ask is simply because heating, for example, is not sufficient to sterilise solution at boiling temperature - to properly sterilise something you need a higher temp than boiling, which can only realistically be achieved with an autoclave or pressure cooker.

It is a common (and dangerous) misconception that cooking up a shot on a spoon will sterilise it - it doesn't, unfortunately.

Glad to hear you will be seeking medical attention. You might need a course of antibiotics or something, because you really can't have any idea what sort of microscopic contaminants were in the kief.
I hope that you get a clean bill of health; but the only way to know and be safe at this stage is to go to a doc or hospital and be completely honest about what happened.

If anything like this happens again (to you or anyone else) i would urge you to plug the hit rather than IV it.
Your body's defences can handle all kinds of shit, but when you shoot it into your bloodstream it bypasses all of these defence systems.

Thank you

Thank you very much lol still getting used to things. This was my response btw. To discourage people from thinking I'm stupid

Hey yeah that was my fault I was trying to edit it and accidentally deleted it. I reposted it again. Thank you for your insight, Im aware that the and most of the oils are non water solvent. I supposed I shouldve worded it as such. The shot was considered sterilized bc it was sterile water previous to any added chemical, then boiled and filtered through a wheel filter.

So to clarify do you believe it was a standard histamine reaction due to the particulate and it wouldn't of mattered what type of contaminate it was? Or do you believe that was an anaphylactic reaction just short of going into shock, due to a mild allergy to cannabis?

I honestly don't know, and any response is simply a guess - because i don't know enough to support either answer with adequate evidence. I'm far from an expert on these matters, but i've heard enough horror stories to always advise people to err on the side of caution.
In other words health implications of something serious having happened are way to serious to be blasé about (not that I'm saying you are - but i don't want to make an uninformed guess about something that could be nasty)
If you put it through a micron filter after the contamination happened, i suppose it seems unlikely to have been caused simply by particulate matter...but I would seek the diagnosis of a doctor, as they can run some tests and give you a check-up which will give a far better picture of what happened - and how much risk there is for you to still have complications after the fact.

I think it is worth mentioning again that even if you feel ok, doesn't mean you're completely out of the woods yet as far as complications go.
As it happened a short time ago, you're in a good position to identify and treat some of the potential health issues that could arise from taking a contaminated shot. I don't know how long it takes for patients to be aware of conditions like endocarditis - but i am fairly sure that by the time it becomes obvious to you, it has already done permanent damage to your heart.

Again, not trying to alarm you, but you really can't be too careful when it comes to stuff like this.
All the best. :)

I agree, endocarditis is a risk absolutely. As are other things, I understand I'm not 100% in the clear until checked out by a doctor. But I think I'm safe enough tonight to wait until the morning. Now don't get me wrong if the burning sensation hadn't let up and I was having difficulty breathing at all I would already be in a hospital. I guess why I'm asking is bc if I would've gone into anaphylactic shock and ultimately died, my case of death would be due to allergic reaction to cannabis.

I've dealt with missed shots, dirty shots (cotton fever) abscesses, and even temporary loss of feeling from the elbow down. Never have I been through this or felt as close to needing medical attention

I just wanted to check in and say everything is back to baseline, the redness is gone. Im still going to ask the doc about what happened though just to be safe. And I'd really like to know if I was just having a bad allergic reaction or if it was a legitimate anaphylactic reaction

Damn this is why i stay away from needles, unless your 100 % certain its safe and clean and not cut or anything

I just wanted to check in and say everything is back to baseline, the redness is gone. Im still going to ask the doc about what happened though just to be safe. And I'd really like to know if I was just having a bad allergic reaction or if it was a legitimate anaphylactic reaction
Good to hear man, i'd be interested to know what they have to say, if you don't mind reporting back when you have an update?

Yeah that's a reasonable approach and I'm usually very strict about my safety however last night I got lazy and didn't realize what I was doing.

My roommate (which is a trauma nurse) had a look at it and from what she says all is good. Its impossible to tell how bad the reaction was bc it has resided as of now. And I took benadryl immediately after the reaction

Damn this is why i stay away from needles, unless your 100 % certain its safe and clean and not cut or anything

Absolutely agree with you. However I'm one of the firm believers of intravenous drug use due to it being the most efficient, with regard to safey and proper preparation.

As noted there has already been some discussion on this thread before the OP accidentally deleted it.
(I wonder if any mods or senior staff that see this could possibly resurrect the old thread and merge with this one?)
Done. Title was also changed as per the OP's request.

just saying, not the pot almost killed you but you injecting a dirty solution containing coarse plant matter almost killed you. maybe filter your solutions before injecting...?

Okay so here's my (friends) story, question, voiced concerns, and entire reason I finally made an account here. A friend of mine has done various chemicals for several years from dmt to meth and all the in betweens. They've had extensive experience with iving pretty much all of them as well. But recently, well 20 minutes ago something happened that has never happened before so I would like to share in an attempt at harm reduction, and to gain possible insight , bc if this can so carelessly happen to my friend it can happen to anyone. About an hour ago a solution of mdma and water was injected, seconds later the effects were felt as usual. Nothing different then the previous 100 times. About 30 mins ago another solution was being prepared, this time though when the powder was scooted into the water, some keif from the card I was using fell into the water... Oh well, right? No big deal just some plant matter right? So it was left in it. The solution was brought to a boil and then sucked up through a filter. This time the effects were very unusual, very unpleasant. Within seconds a heat wave hit the skin followed by harsh seemingly restricted breathing, a pins and needles sensation all over, huge welts starting from the injection site and continuing up the arm, as well as on the face, itching, redness all over, swollen lips, dizziness, nausea all getting worse over the next five minutes. I'm almost 100 % certain it was an anaphylactic reaction, however, thankfully without the last two (most serious) symptoms, which are anaphylactic shock and ultimately death. I'm sharing this to stress how Important it is to remain sterile when dealing with anything thats going in your vein. Even if it's just a little keif. I'd like anyone to chime in if something similar has happened to you or if you have another explanation of what might have happened. Thank you all and I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum
THC is minimally soluble in water so the adverse reaction was probably do to the plant matter itself.Much bacteria would be on it and can leave you open to any bad scenarios.