• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What Are You Reading V.3 At The Fourth Grade Level

Currently reading Gonzo - The life of Hunter S Thompson - Jann Wenner and Corey Seymour.

Told in the words of the people that knew him and were involved in his life, in the style of Please Kill Me the Oral History of Punk if you know that book. Some outrageous tales. Hunter was truly a mad cunt. How he survived for so long basically constantly pissed and off his head and still managed to write is beyond me, though towards the end he was not doing great work. Great read so far.

Currently reading Gonzo - The life of Hunter S Thompson - Jann Wenner and Corey Seymour.

Told in the words of the people that knew him and were involved in his life, in the style of Please Kill Me the Oral History of Punk if you know that book. Some outrageous tales. Hunter was truly a mad cunt. How he survived for so long basically constantly pissed and off his head and still managed to write is beyond me, though towards the end he was not doing great work. Great read so far.

Ah, nice. I'm going to have to get that. I've read just about every book he's released!

i'm currently writing my dissertation so brace yourselves;

J. F. Goodridge, Emily Brontë: Wuthering Heights (London: Edward Arnold Publishers Ltd., 1964)
Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights (London: Penguin Books Ltd, 2003)
Ed. Terry Eagleton, ’Preface’ to Charles Dickens, Bleak House (London: Penguin Books Ltd, 2011)
Ed. T. Creham, ‘Commentaries’ to Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights (London English Literature Ed.) (London: Hodder and Stoughton Ltd, 1974)
J. Hillis Miller, The Disappearance of God (Cambridge Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1963)
Dorothy Van Ghent, The English Novel, Form and Function (New York: Harper and Row, 1961)

that's just the footnotes from my first page...
i feel like i need a good long crywank now

Ah, nice. I'm going to have to get that. I've read just about every book he's released!

I bought 'Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas' before I'd even heard of him because it looked like a good read - and it was. Then I realised he was a cult figure so I bought 'Hells Angels' - and that was a classic as well. Then I bought 'The Great Shark Hunt' and was disappointed because it didn't have enough drug abuse in it...

The guy was undoubtedly a complete fuckin nutter, but if it wasn't for 'Fear & Loathing' I don't think he would have achieved the cult status he has...

Oh, and I didn't think much of 'Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail' either - again, not enough druggage.

I personally don't think he was as good a writer as he was a character...

Last edited:
I bought 'Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas' before I'd even heard of him because it looked like a good read - and it was. Then I realised he was a cult figure so I bought 'Hells Angels' - and that was a classic as well. Then I bought 'The Great Shark Hunt' and was disappointed because it didn't have enough drug abuse in it...

The guy was undoubtedly a complete fuckin nutter, but if it wasn't for 'Fear & Loathing' I don't think he would have achieved the cult status he has...

Oh, and I didn't think much of 'Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail' either - again, not enough druggage.

I personally don't think he was as good a writer as he was a character...
I think he probably COULD have been a really great writer if he was not such a booze and drug pig. When you read the book he makes Keef Richards look like a choir boy. No heroin but insane amounts of booze, coke, psychedelics and weed. He seriously was never straight for over 3 decades. I am thinking that would take the shine off anyone's talent eventually.

I think he probably COULD have been a really great writer if he was not such a booze and drug pig. When you read the book he makes Keef Richards look like a choir boy. No heroin but insane amounts of booze, coke, psychedelics and weed. He seriously was never straight for over 3 decades. I am thinking that would take the shine off anyone's talent eventually.

Oh yeh definitely. But if he hadn't been such a fuckin nutter he wouldn't be anywhere near as famous/popular/notorious as he is now, even if he'd become the best writer in the world...

I'm no expert in the history of literature, but he seemed to create or, at least, contribute greatly to the development of a particular style of writing. His fusion of journalism and complete fantasy (known as standard journalism, I guess) allowed me to read long pieces on something I have no interest on eg. American football.

'Fear and Loathing on The Campaign Trail' could be a pretty dry book if you don't have any background knowledge of the 72' election or had no interest in it, but I find he makes it hilarious...and it may also be one of the first times Ibogaine has been used to slander somebody in print form :D

My two favourite Hunter books are 'Songs of The Damned' and 'Kingdom of Fear'.

I meant 'Songs of The Doomed', sorry. It's a collection of different short stories and articles done a decade at a time to give you a view on the evolution of his style. I think it's hilarious :)

Kingdom of Fear was published a couple of years after Bush Jr got elected. It looks at, as the title would suggest, how the USA is fuelled by fear...in a much more colourful way than Chomsky would ;)

Yes well worth it Don. Hunter was one hell of a character.

And is immortalized in the character of 'Duke' in the comic strip 'Doonesbury'.

Fuck it, I know I'm talking to myself but if I ever turn one of you on to Doonesbury, a strip of which you only have 45+ years to catch up on, (and you thought you were behind with EastEnders), it will be a triumph of which I can die proud.

Fuck it, I know I'm talking to myself but if I ever turn one of you on to Doonesbury, a strip of which you only have 45+ years to catch up on, (and you thought you were behind with EastEnders), it will be a triumph of which I can die proud.
I have a book of collected Doonesbury.

Fuck yer. Click the link and read. Then click next. For the next 5 days worth of strips. (That's next/read/next read repeat etc).

On Hunter's death.

http://doonesbury.washingtonpost.com/strip/archive/2005/3/7

(And click once more for the Sunday strip - a satire on Trump in 2005. Doonesbury is fucking years ahead of the game)

Haha, very good =D

Was it the Guardian that ran Doonesbury? I liked the Steve Bell strip in the Guardian as well - dunno if it's still going, not read that paper for years...

Haha, very good =D

Was it the Guardian that ran Doonesbury? I liked the Steve Bell strip in the Guardian as well - dunno if it's still going, not read that paper for years...

Yeah its still in the Guardian but the only originals (I.E written now) are the Sunday strips (in The Observer). Trudeau (the writer) gave up the daily strips (which ran for nearly 50 years, starting with the Vietnam war) because he's written a successful TV show (successful in the USA) so he concentrates on that.

What the Guardian publish now (daily) are strips from the past. And they never get old. Regardless, I don't read them there. I read them here

And I read the Guardian online, for free, thus happily contributing to its eventual death as a newspaper (it will be online only soon, like The Independent).

I am a big fan of the guardian, both the English and Australian editions. 'I read it online too and follow them on Twitter which is the only social media i use as it is so good for news

Doonsbury got me through the political and cultural madness of my youth the way Jon Stewart and Colbert helped me not to go kill myself in my old age. Gary Trudeaux reflected us back to ourselves as well as he exposed and lampooned the political times we were stumbling around in the 70's. The characters morphing from college students to attempted adults is my favorite era. I have to say, Zonker is one of my faves. Remember when he gets into his uncle's med school in Haiti?=D

P.S. I never visited the Doonesbury site so thanks for that. I just asked Duke what he thinks of Trump and I seem to have crashed the site....he's been "thinking" for 4 minutes....still no answer. Are there that many expletives in the English language?

Last edited:
Doonsbury got me through the political and cultural madness of my youth the way Jon Stewart and Colbert helped me not to go kill myself in my old age. Gary Trudeaux reflected us back to ourselves as well as he exposed and lampooned the political times we were stumbling around in the 70's. The characters morphing from college students to attempted adults is my favorite era. I have to say, Zonker is one of my faves. Remember when he gets into his uncle's med school in Haiti?=D

P.S. I never visited the Doonesbury site so thanks for that. I just asked Duke what he thinks of Trump and I seem to have crashed the site....he's been "thinking" for 4 minutes....still no answer. Are there that many expletives in the English language?

Duke and Zonker will always be my faves, for obvious reasons. The Zonker in med school in Haiti (including saving Duke from when Papa Doc turned him into a zombie) are some of the more recent re-runs. Zonker's dream coming true with marijuana legalisation is a thing to behold. How many proper writers (lets not forget Trudeau won a Pullitzer, the only comic strip artist to do so) do you know who can be quoted as saying

"Of course I inhaled. That's the point isn't it?"

If you're ever in the UK, you're welcome in my home anytime Ms Herbavore. I'm in Wales. It's the home of Red Kites.