Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(THC/~3 Bong hits) First THC Experience: Cannabis Nightmare

Shackleford

Greenlighter
Hello Bluelight! This is my first post on the Bluelight forums and I decided to make this my first post as it is likely my most interesting (and terrifying) cannabis experience. I would like to preface this story by mentioning that this experience took place approximately one year ago, and since then I have continued use of cannabis quite regularly and have had pleasant results.

As stated in the title, my first cannabis experience was quite a nightmare. I was convinced to give weed a shot by a friend at 23 years old. I really only had an interest in trying cannabis because I was curious as to how it felt. My friend was an experienced cannabis user and had packed a bowl of some "top shelf" dispensary cannabis (~25-28% THC). We smoked the bowl together out of his 2 foot bong in about three or four minutes. Upon taking my first hit, I didn't really feel anything and I was under the impression that I should have felt something almost immediately. At this point, I took a second hit and informed my friend that I might be feeling it just a little bit. About a minute after that, I took my third and final hit. I was definitely high and I felt really weird, but good.

I walked out to my friends table and took a seat at his dining room table. He began explaining cannabis to me but I honestly couldn't follow what he was saying, even trying to focus on what he was talking about made me feel somewhat uncomfortable. About a minute later (which was only about two minutes after my third and final hit) my vision started to go black, I felt really nauseous and had to put my head down. I noticed it was becoming more difficult to voluntarily move my limbs. My head also felt really heavy so I kept it down on the table. I asked for water which was provided for me rather quickly. It was very difficult to actually move my arms, it wasn't that I was so high that I was incredibly lazy, but rather that it was actually really hard to move and my movement was unbearably slow and limited. After taking a drink of water and waiting for a minute, the symptoms only became more intense.

A few moments after drinking some water, I felt literally paralyzed. As hard as I physically tried I actually could not move my arms or legs. My friend called over another person and they tried to assist me in getting up so that they could lay me down somewhere to relax, I am over six feet tall and about 200 pounds and even working together my friends could not lift me out of the chair. I was literally dead weight and as much as I tried to use my legs to stand I simply couldn't. They gave up on trying to get me up and instead just turned off all the lights and stayed nearby.

The paralysis was not even the worst part, the thoughts in my head were sporadic and uncontrollable. My mind was racing and throwing out a million random thoughts a minute which was really mentally overwhelming. Additionally, I couldn't open my eyes because it felt too bright (even with the kitchen light off) and would cause a very sharp intense pain to occur inside of my head. It felt as if my pupils refused to dilate which would result in excruciating pain when I tried to open my eyes, I could only imagine the pain would have intensified if I tried to keep them open. The pain was so bad that even if my eyes would start to open just a very small amount, I would start to feel the intense pain occurring in my head.

During this trip, I had also felt as if I were experiencing hallucinations. Of course, I couldn't really see anything because my eyes were closed, however I was getting very disturbing visuals which would rapidly occur in my head. I would see very disturbing images that were all in a sort of blueish color.. For example, whenever I tried to swallow water (my friends had to hold the cup) I would get a very disturbing (and inaccurate) vision of the inside of my throat as I attempted to swallow the water. These disturbing images were consistently jolting through my brain and I could not control them. Some of them were caused by an external factor (like drinking the water, or hearing something) but the majority of the disturbing images were just sporadically and rapidly appearing in my mind.

The last symptom of this cannabis induced nightmare was just an overall feeling of extreme bodily discomfort. I felt incredible amounts of weight holding my head and the rest of my limbs down. My body and head didn't just feel heavy, they felt so heavy that it was very discomforting. I wouldn't call it excruciating pain, but certainly intense discomfort.

After about an hour of experiencing these intense symptoms, I had come down enough to allow my friends to assist me in moving to lay down. Once I had laid down, I was still experiencing the negative effects of this trip but I was eventually able to fall asleep. Woke up about two hours later feeling tired but at least functional and back to my normal self.

I have searched the web far and wide for stories from people who may have experienced similar effects, but never really found anything that was similar to my experience. After this experience, I didn't try cannabis again until about two months later and I had only taken a very very small hit. My second experience with only having taken one small hit was still very intense, but not necessarily unpleasant. I proceeded to try cannabis here and there over the next month and realized that I was what people refer to as a "one hit wonder". For the next few months I proceeded to use cannabis frequently and never required more than a hit or two to get me absolutely blazed. Eventually over time, I built up a tolerance to cannabis and never really experienced any intense highs ever again. Now, I am at a point with cannabis where I can handle doing several bowls in a short period of time, although I find that I get the best highs from doing about a half bowl of higher shelf product, or a full bowl of lower shelf product.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my experience and I hope that you have never had to experience the same sort of drug induced hell that I went through that day. Thanks for reading!

Note: I am certain that the weed was not laced. It came from a reliable cannabis dispensary and my friend had shared the bowl with me and he experienced a normal high. Additionally, other people were over at later points during my trip they were also smoking the same product with pleasant results.

yeah, sounds like a typical trainwreck cannabis overdose... In my opinion, your friend was very irresponsible to let you smoke a big amount of potent weed through a bong for your first time. cannabis can be very intense and trippy for the inexperienced user. you should have rather smoked a tip of a knife worth through a bowl and then wait for at least 20min until you decide to do more. cannabis actually doesn't hit immediately when smoked (edit: oh you did that, should have read more carefully!^^). I personally feel it a bit directly after the hit, but the peak always comes 10min later.

when I smoked the first time, I also experienced racing thoughts, auditory hallucinations, kinda warped reality feeling, CEVs,... but since I smoked only a small amount, I could handle it. don't worry about it, and if you want to try it again, smoke much much less.

I think a lot of people underestimate how fucking intense cannabis can be.
I've done a lot of crazy drugs in my time, but weed overdoses have been up there with some of the most overwhelming trips or dissociative journeys i've been on.

Sounds like you weren't put off for life though, Shackleford.
Lots of people dont seem to be able to enjoy cannabis, but i have always had a fondness for good weed.
Thanks for the report, and welcome to bluelight :)

@Bagseed Actually, I have tried it many times since and have enjoyed it much more. The first several times were very intense, although over time cannabis became more enjoyable for me as the intensity became more controllable.

@Spacejunk I agree, I believe the general consensus on cannabis makes it seem nonchalant to new users which can lead to them mistakenly taking in very large doses in a small time frame. Thanks for the welcoming words, and for reading my report!

^ yeah I realized that after I posted and re read your OP... I shouldn't post directly after getting up ;D

good to hear you are ok shackleford.

i think a lot of people are quite blasé about marijuana and its effects. i've used a fair spectrum of drugs including some powerful dissociatives like ketamine and some mind-blowing psychedelics like 5meodmt and the only drug i have ever had a 'bad' (mental) time on is pot.

alasdair

^agreed to that. So often in the Dam you see it. People who don't usually go get some high grade and a bong. You can just see them moving to oblivion over the course of 15 minutes. Main thing with a bong is its fairly short lived.

My worst was around 15 years ago finding about 3 grams of Manali hash in my jacket after security, left over from a drunk and stoned episode the night before.

I really didn't want to be carrying and was off to a destination even less tolerant. But alas i suffer from the it would be a waste mentality to bin it.

Coffee was quickly purchased and hash melted as best as it could. Never forget sitting down in the plane seat and feeling this massive rush of impending anxiety. Could of sworn my arse was on the runway as the plane hit 100 feet, really did feel like i was falling out of the plane. The next 4 hours were a blur where i could literally do nothing but hide under a blanket. Things settled after that, was still stoned when the plane landed 12 hours later. Got searched at border control guess cos either they reported my weirdness on the plane or i simply looked off it.

you ate 3 grams of high quality hashish before getting on a plane? not the wisest choice my friend ;)

did think at the time that this would not cause problems? a gram orally is already a pretty high dose