• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Coming off Lamotrigine (Lamictal)

CosmicG

Bluelighter
Long story short, my insurance is up soon and I don't have enough time to get a refill on my Lamictal. I have been taking 100 mgs for about four years now daily. I have some left to use that I could taper with if need be, but does anyone have any experience coming off of this stuff? What kind of withdrawal symptoms did you experience?

I question the idea that I was ever even bi-polar to begin with. It's kind of hard to diagnose someone that is constantly using drugs. Could taking medication for bipolar cause someone who was not even bipolar to begin with become bipolar? Is this a trainwreck waiting to happen?

If you have no choice, then it's probably better to taper it rather than going CT, although I admit I don't know much at all about its withdrawal effects. I was on 150mg/day for supposed bipolar a few years ago, and found it pretty ineffective. My doctor eventually accepted that fact and tapered me from 150 down to zero in just 5 days, without any noticeable discontinuation symptoms at all.

If you have no choice, then it's probably better to taper it rather than going CT, although I admit I don't know much at all about its withdrawal effects. I was on 150mg/day for supposed bipolar a few years ago, and found it pretty ineffective. My doctor eventually accepted that fact and tapered me from 150 down to zero in just 5 days, without any noticeable discontinuation symptoms at all.

If I really wanted to I could buy insurance. The thing is I am in the process of switching jobs and will not be eligible for insurance for ninety days. I was under my father's insurance until a month ago when I turned 26. It is much cheaper to get insurance through my job, and it is much better.

I really want to be off of all meds. I tried bringing this up with my doctor but he pretty much dismissed that by saying it is very common for people with bipolar to think they do not need medicine. But as I said in the original post, I question this diagnosis because I have not been sober in ten years. I have made a lot of changes in my life recently, and am doing much better mentally. How long were you on the Lamictal before you went off of it? I know that 100 mgs is actually a pretty low dose compared to most for treating bipolar disorder. I never really noticed it helping me much as far as mood swings and mental stability. Staying away from alcohol and most drugs that I consider harmful seems to help more then anyhing else, making me think I do not actually have the disorder. My family and friends may disagree, but I know it was the drugs, or at least I think I do. I don't want to be on meds the rest of my life. I don't want to be dependent on anything.

Last edited:
four years is a pretty long time. I was on it briefly but couldn't tolerate it. I don't think its known for a bad discontinuation but with your history and all the drugs, it can become harder to get off of drugs as time goes on. take it slow and keep an eye on your original symptoms. become familiar with the withdrawal symptoms and look out for them. don't push through it if it gets hard.

you realize 30 tabs of 100 mg lamictal is like 10-12 bucks right?

to answer your question, certain types of withdrawal can mimic bipolar and can also aggravate original symptoms. it can take a couple years but you should be back to your old self at some point. most people that have long term problems have autonomic dysfunction symptoms but mood swings can be pretty prevalent.

Last edited:
I also find it weird the you are able to pleasurable effects from dissos.

I thought it was supposed to block it.

Interesting that you bring this up. I never even knew that Lamictal was known to block the effects of dissociatives until very recently when I read about it in a PD thread. I use small doses of MXE almost daily, 12 mgs taken twice. In the past I used to take anywhere between 50-100 mgs to hole and experience the dissociation, but now I take these smaller doses. It really helps me feel optimistic about my current life situation. Had me wondering if I have ever truly felt the potential of MXE. I also have past experience with Ketamine, and the Lamictal didn't seem to stop the drug from working, though I have nothing to compare it to.

Just a heads up dude, but you may find dissos a bit skiddish while you are trying to get off the stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't effect you the same way. May want to take a small break until you get through this. Naw mean?

Long story short, my insurance is up soon and I don't have enough time to get a refill on my Lamictal. I have been taking 100 mgs for about four years now daily. I have some left to use that I could taper with if need be, but does anyone have any experience coming off of this stuff? What kind of withdrawal symptoms did you experience?

I question the idea that I was ever even bi-polar to begin with. It's kind of hard to diagnose someone that is constantly using drugs. Could taking medication for bipolar cause someone who was not even bipolar to begin with become bipolar? Is this a trainwreck waiting to happen?

I have been on 200mg's of Lamotrigine since about 2008 i think. I have gone off it a few times for various reasons including just being out of province and unable to get it covered because of that to "Oh i feel fine i don't need a mood stabilizer" 8) . I have never gotten any withdrawals from it other then my mood swings coming back with interest. However going off any anticonvulsant cold turkey is a very bad idea as it can lower the seizure threshold and cause seizures even in people who are not seizure prone. I also take Clonazepam so i am unlikely to have any problems like that but someone who was not on another anticonvulsant could very well run this risk especially if they have been on it a long time. My advise would be to taper with what you have as much as possible. It's hardly ideal but better then nothing.

I have been on 200mg's of Lamotrigine a day since maybe 2008 and i still get the full effects from Ketamine, Nitrous and Dextromethorphan. I don't take DXM at all anymore though because i find that i do get a comedown from it and besides i am on medications that can cause serious interactions with it and it is not worth going off my meds to trip on DXM. I have read that Lamotrigine is thought to have some antiglutamatergic effects through it's action as a Sodium channel blocker and as Ketamine, PCP, DXM, Nitrous, etc are antagonists of the NMDA Glutamate receptor one would think that Dissociative anesthetics would be potentiated by Lamotrigine. But apparently for some reason Lamotrigine can block some of the effects of Ketamine atleast but i don't know about other NMDA receptor antagonists.

Just a heads up dude, but you may find dissos a bit skiddish while you are trying to get off the stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't effect you the same way. May want to take a small break until you get through this. Naw mean?

Well, I decided to take your advice and have been completely sober besides a little weed here and there for the past three days now. I am taking 50 mgs of Lamictal and have been for about a week. Besides a cold I have been feeling completely fine, if anything my mood has been better then normal.

It helps that I am in the process of switching jobs, leaving a job that I completely hate for one that I am looking forward to. I feel a positive shift in my consciousness lately, and I don't think it has anything to do with the meds, just my thinking is starting to change for the better. No alcohol, less Bluelight, positive thinking, and hope for good things to come seems to be working. Thanks or all the advice you guys. I will continue to update my progress!

It's been almost three weeks since I initially began cutting down on my medication. I did manage to get one month's refill the day before my insurance ran out, so I have enough medicine to last me about six weeks or so if I took 100 mgs daily as I am prescribed.

Definitely notice an increase in irritability and depression, but it isn't so much that I can't deal with it or function normally. What has made it difficult to perfom daily functioning and be myself are the intense migraines I have been experiencing every day all day that only seem to be getting worse. I have never experienced headaches in my life, so it has to be withdraw from the meds. I read that this is common in people who try to get off Lamotrigine, but wow. Nearly constant pain, and the only pain reliever that does anything is acetaminophen, which I don't mind taking but would rather not because taking OTC meds every day for pain isn't good obviously.

Does anyone have any experience with migraines specifically while discontinuing Lamotrigine? They're beginning to drive me insane, and going through this while in the process of starting my new job tomorrow morning really is not ideal :( Withdraw should only last between 4-6 weeks...Maybe I tapered too quickly and should slow down? Any help or thoughts is appreciated.

I don't know about the withdrawals, my daughter was on it for a few months and came off abruptly to change to something else that she's no longer on. No noticeable withdrawals for her.

If you feel that you are tapering too fast consider another refill or two. I agree with jammin83, the cash price is really cheap. Check Wal-Mart for the generic. Way less than the other pharms.

I decided just to pay the big bucks for insurance until I am able to get it through my work. It's a much better plan then suffering through this nightmare I can tell you that.

These migraines are intense and my body just aches. I'm back on my 100 milligram dose to hopefully get back to feeling normal asap. I would rather get off of this medication slowly with medical support instead of trying to do it on my own. I have too much to do with work and everything else. It's just not a good time to be making risky choices, and these psych meds shouldn't be taken lightly when going off of them. I greatly underestimated my dependence.

I have also stopped the MXE for now as I am really not able to benefit from it in my current state.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your having a hard time CG. I think you have an idea about the dilemma I've been going through for 18 months now. It hasn't been fun and has been pretty traumatic ttytt.

I'm not going to sit here and lecture you bc I think you know how I feel, but it's not good for your brain to tax it too hard. Take it easy bro. It's not opiates or something where you push through it.

If you don't already know good rx has discounts on pretty much everything. Lamictal is 10 bucks.

Hang in there dude.

I decided just to pay the big bucks for insurance until I am able to get it through my work. It's a much better plan then suffering through this nightmare I can tell you that.

These migraines are intense and my body just aches. I'm back on my 100 milligram dose to hopefully get back to feeling normal asap. I would rather get off of this medication slowly with medical support instead of trying to do it on my own. I have too much to do with work and everything else. It's just not a good time to be making risky choices, and these psych meds shouldn't be taken lightly when going off of them. I greatly underestimated my dependence.

I have also stopped the MXE for now as I am really not able to benefit from it in my current state.

I never got Migraines coming off it but no doubt Lamictal withdrawal can cause Migraines as it is sometimes used to treat them It's not as effective as say Divalproex in treating Migraines but it is used off label for this purpose and in treating nerve pain. So perhaps you are experiencing rebound symptoms which is common with alot of Migraine drugs.

My suggestion would be to taper slower if at all possible and maybe try another migraine drug like the Triptans such as Imitrex to see if that helps.

I am starting to worry that these symptoms are something else. It's been almost ten days without missing a dose and I still feel horrible. I can't get checked out at a doctor for another two weeks as that is when my insurance kicks in. There is so much inconsistent information about the withdraw of this drug I don't know what to think.

It just seems like too big of a coincidence that the migraines started during me going off the medication since I have never had a real headache in my life up until this point. I got bloodwork done a few weeks ago and everything was normal except my white blood cell count was low, which the doctor said was probably just my Lamictal, and to follow up in two weeks. I can't wait for this insurance to kick in. Have had it my whole life...I find it hilarious that now that I don't have insurance I need help. Come on really?

Last edited:
Fyi I tried to lower my gabapentin dose a couple months ago. Did it slow. 100 mg every three weeks from 900 mg.Took me about two months to stabilize again bc that was too fast. Fucking mother fucking Fuck.

Point being, it can take a while to get back to normal after a too fast taper. 10 days ain't nothin. Gonna have to go the turtle route. Use goodrx for scripts and go to a cheap walk in clinic. Tjats what I do and is pretty cost effective for those without insurance. Costs me less than insurance anyway.

Take it slow, keep it steady keep it simple. Wait til you stabilize before making a cut. 10 percent a month dude. Volumetric dosing or mg scale. Fun right?

I am sorry to hear you are still struggling with gaba jammin. Are you experiencing a lot of issues with it still or how is that going for you? It took me almost six months to fully recover from gaba and benzos after being completely off of them.

I decided to go back on the Lamotrigine 100 mgs every day until my body and mind begin feeling normal again. I obviously tapered way too quickly, and now is really not a good time in my life to attempt a discontinuation if it is going to prove to be this challenging. Hopefully I can find a doctor willing to help me taper. I know most doctors I talk to are going to question why and advise against doing so, but it's something that I want. I have been dependent on some kind of drug to function for way too long now.

Happy to say after almost two weeks back on my normal dose, the headaches are finally beginning to go away. Looking forward to the day my body doesn't need this stuff anymore to function normally. Any irritability or bad feelings I felt were directly related to the headaches when tapering/stopping this drug. I get that it is such a common conclusion for someone bipolar to come to...that they aren't bipolar. Textbook. Sick minds trick themselves into believing their own made up lies. But nobody in my family history has ever been diagnosed bipolar. At the time of diagnosis I wasn't right. Haven't been right for many years due to alcohol/drugs. More time spent away from these things hopefully will shed more light on the matter. I used to want so much in life. Now I would feel content just being happy.

I have been taking the Lamictal 100 mgs now for three weeks today, and at this point in the game I am beginning to think these migraines are completely unrelated to the medicine. They are still happening with more intensity then before, and I wake up with it in the morning along with nausea and weakness.

I went to see the doctor yesterday. He gave me three more refills and told me to find a psychiatrist. Also took more of my blood to do a full blood count since my white cells were low last time. I don't know whether or not that will be related to the migraines, but damn I just want to feel healthy. These migraines are making my life hell. I didn't realize how serious and debilitating they were. I set up an appointment for an MRI on my brain, but won't be able to get in for about two weeks. In the mean time I am paying attention to my diet, drinking water, and trying to get through it. The headache is always there though. It never really goes away. No triggers, just constant low to severe pain. It's sucking the joy out of everything to tell you the truth.