• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

What's Good On TV? V. Saul Changed His Number

Been rewatching The League of Gentleman on Netflix. Also discovered​ two more series written by the same two guys - Inside No.9 and Psychoville. They really are a couple of twisted fuckers and if you like dark humour, they're all worth watching.

Forgot to mention that I marathoned off both seasons of 'Narco's' earlier this week - as one of the two or three people on the planet that did not know anything about PE beyond his name and the fact that he used to be involved in the cocaine industry I found it surprisingly engaging and (to a lesser extent) somewhat educational as I am positive that one cannot have made a lot of that shit up.

Bit uneven in the way it goes about telling its story (the first season covers something like a 15 - 20 year span where the second covers the following 18 - 24 months) but any time it seems to be going off piste we are treated to another fantastic moment with Wagner Moura who is by far the best thing about this show and just about holds it all together and makes it watchable. Will be nice to see further seasons produced about them chasing the Cali Cartel but I cannot see how it will be any good as the characters cannot be as interesting and Moura's absence will leave a massive gap to fill.
I would say its more loosely based on the truth than factual. A lot of stuff in it did happen but a lot was straight up fantasy. There are major characters in the show that did not exist and some big players left out. Great show but after reading many books on the subject of Columbia and Cocaine it should not be looked at as factual.

Oh and btw the Cali cartel should be fascinating. They make Escobar look like a street dealer in comparison. They were far bigger, more organised and professional. I suggest you check out Cocaine Cowboys Stee...its a great doco.

I would say its more loosely based on the truth than factual. A lot of stuff in it did happen but a lot was straight up fantasy. There are major characters in the show that did not exist and some big players left out. Great show but after reading many books on the subject of Columbia and Cocaine it should not be looked at as factual.

Yeh I get that - the 'couldn't make this shit up' remarks were more based around the overall scale of his behaviour - it's only after getting a feel for the shit that country went through that has galvanised the concept of 'narco - terrorism' in my head - a phrase I am familiar with but that I had never considered as a practical concept. As fast and loose as they obviously played with the character stuff, it was the scale of the atrocities that made my jaw drop and the cutting to stock news footage during these moments gives me the assumption that they are not disputed - the attack on the palace of justice was fucking mental - and the Avianca bombing :(, a disaster I was already familiar with but unaware of how it tied in with PE and his terror campaign.

I did approach this as a drama first and foremost - I've seen enough 'loosely based on real events' type deals to know that a lot of the time the storytellers do not want the truth to get in the way of a good yarn, but at the same time I knew that the show would take a good proportion of it's twists, turns and reveals from the real story. I've only just started to look into the factual stuff now I'm done with 'Narcos' but if the pursuit of the Cali Cartel was just as interesting and colourful then I don't want to get too familiar with the real deal yet and spoil what might be another effective season or 2.

In anyone watching 'American Gods' - A recently released ex-convict named Shadow meets a mysterious man who calls himself "Wednesday" and who knows more than he first seems to about Shadow's life and past.

Strangest thing that I've watched in a good while.

I've also just started to get into Sense8 - A group of people around the world are suddenly linked mentally, and must find a way to survive being hunted by those who see them as a threat to the world's order.

Both worth checking out

Can anyone remember 'Dark Crystal' movie from years back ? New Series coming out based on prequel to that.

Last edited:
Most years, I wait until the entire season of Game Of Thrones has been broadcast and saved on the Sky box's HD before binge watching them. However, as I am likely to miss at the very least half of the season while on my drug free adventure, and will not realistically be able to watch the rest until the Autumn, I with great excitement, have just watched S7EP1 of the series, which had it's UK premier on Sky Atlantic last night. No need to go into specifics in case I spoil stuff for anyone who has not yet had the chance to watch the episode, or discover this amazing show but it was a perfect opener without one scene that was not spot on and completely riveting.

Also got around to finishing S1 of 'The Sopranos'. I bought the complete 7 season series boxset for my dad the Christmas before last The idea was to watch it together, as I had heard that the only other HBO shows that can genuinely compete with 'The Wire' are 'Boardwalk Empire' 'The Sopranos' and 'The West Wing' in terms of serial drama - the last 2 of which I have never seen (Game Of Thrones is likely to join this list, but cannot be properly assessed until the final season, due for broadcast next year, can show the overall quality of the show as a whole) - but it's taken us 18 months just to get through season 1 (going back to our attempt to get through The Sopranos;, which will be understood by those unfortunate to have read my whinge posts about my domestic situation. Loved it, and by all means the remaining six seasons are just as quality. RIP James Gandolfini - one great example of the beauty of the big and small screens unique ability to immortalise many of these spectacular actors that are sorely missed. How wonderful it was to see a man still in great health (he appeared very over overweight in his last few performances), at the top of his game, in what is surely his defining role (I have been a fan since first seeing him in 'True Romance' which I first saw in 1996).

Just a couple of honourable mentions in context of what I have said above - There are other HBO shows up there with 'The Wire' etc in terms of the mini - series they have produced. 'Band Of Brothers', 'The Pacific' and ' Generation Kill' rank among the best television programmes as highly as any other. 'From The Earth To The Moon' is also really good but is more of a docu - drama than a completely original piece (The three wartime mini - series I mentioned before were based on eye witness accounts but have been fully dramatised, where the majority of the script in FTHETOTM is 95% exposition to get across how the Apollo programme achieved what it did).

Last edited:
Anyone seen 'Quacks'? 6 episodes are currently on iPlayer. Highly recommended...

It's a comedy set in the 18th century about a conceited surgeon famed for whipping limbs off in record time, a drug addicted dentist who introduces the surgeon to anaesthesia, and a fledgling psychiatrist in love with the surgeon's wife. Some of the cast were in 'Horrible Histories', which imo was the funniest kid's programme ever made

Last edited:
really getting into Californication atm; nice to see that Mulder is really taking retirement to the next level :p

really getting into Californication atm; nice to see that Mulder is really taking retirement to the next level :p

I watched californication not too long ago. There were times I got bored with the show but I kept watching anyways all the way through. Overall I enjoyed it.

My wife HATED the show. She said Duchovny came across like such a dirty man that it grossed here out. Lol. I personally liked him, it was his ex-lover Karen that got under my skin sometimes.

Currently watching Louie. Never seen the show before.. actually didn't even know it existed until I stumbled on it accidentally a few days ago.

The first couple episodes are rough as they are not really funny and it feels horribly low budget. But the show suddenly takes off after a few episodes and it gets pretty damn good imho.

Loads to phone in...

GOT S7 - satisfying enough but really suffers from the shortened season - far too rushed compared to the epic depth of previous instalments.

Marvels The Defenders - OK, but no where near as good as Daredevil or Jessica Jones. Still really good fun and compelling enough to binge watch it in one go, as I did with...

Narcos S3 - wasn't expecting much from this as the first 2 seasons really relied on the fantastic portrayal of Escobar by Wagner Moura (the show felt shit whenever the attention was elsewhere). S3 miles better than the first 2, really tense in places and the story of the Cali Cartel was just as insane as the Medellin crowd.

Better Call Saul S1,2 & 3 - cannot overstate how good this show is, the universe feels like it is shared authentically with Breaking Bad but IMO it is much deeper and more dramatic without having to rely on the ridiculous (but still fantastically imagined) story gimmickry of it's predecessor / pre - sequal.

I'm not a trekkie and with the exception of the odd next gen episode I have never really bothered with any of the TV series. I am however a huge fan of the film saga, including the new JJ Abrams / Justin Lin 'Kelvin Time' reboot which has finally spawned its first telle outing - 'Star Trek: Discovery'.

Being a fan of the films I have followed the development of this show with some interest and was pretty pleased to see Netflix hosting the first 2 episodes which I have watched this morning. It was more than worth a look for anyone who is into this kind of stuff but overall it came across as fairly mediocre, being far too rushed (bizarrely the episodes clock in at less than 45 mins which is ridiculous in this day and age with the programme being available to steam 24 hours after its network premier). The production design and visual effects are really good and are pretty consistent with the 3 new (est) films and the insight into the reunification of the Klingons is reasonably interesting but I cannot see this attracting anyone who is not already invested in the franchise. Spectacularly unoriginal.

Watched all of Narcos back to back during a few days off work the other week and really enjoyed it.

Also watched "The Accountant" on Sky Movies the other day and while it took a while to get going, the end was pretty good (and unexpected).

Mr.Mercedes. Check it out. Really impressed with this recommendation from a mate. Exceeded all expectations.

Watched a couple episodes of the Deuce. On the fence with this as I liked how it started but the whole James Franco thing has become a bit tiring and that.

Just watched Mindhunters on Netflix and quite enjoyed it. They just recently released the first season. I'll definitely be on the lookout next year for season 2.

Also watched through season 1 of The Mist. Was ok, not as good as I was hoping. Might not bother watching season 2 when it gets to Netflix; I think I'll just read the book instead. The show is based off of Stephen Kings novel and I imagine the novel is probably better.

About to watch through season 2 of Stranger Things. Wife wants to watch it with me but she didn't watch season 1 last year so we are gonna binge both seasons this weekend. Making the popcorn now...

Big up the new season of 'Flowers' (C4 10pm, 4 episodes in, playing every night this week)

I've been so looking forward to it, though my memory is so shit, that although I knew without a doubt that I loved the first series & the basic outline, I couldn't really remember the characters or faces of the cast & their relationships

When I started watching the first episode of S2, I felt deflated & lost in the story line & unfamiliar characters, until about ten minutes in, when I'd felt my way round & it all just clicked into place & I remembered who everyone was & since then, I've LOVED it!

The last episode of The Bridge tonight on BBC2, if you have no idea what this is it's a bit late to tune in but if you know I am sure you'll be in tears just like me that it has ended.

Saga Nor?n, L?nskrim, Malm?

The last episode of The Bridge tonight on BBC2, if you have no idea what this is it's a bit late to tune in but if you know I am sure you'll be in tears just like me that it has ended.

Saga Nor?n, L?nskrim, Malm?

Is this the original Scandinoir (Danish/ Sweedish) version? I saw the first season a few years back and thought it was amazing. I have been a massive fan of Kim Bodina for years and the female detective, played by the spectacularly talented and beautiful Sofia Helin is one of the most original and satisfying characters I have come across (pun slightly intended) in a while.