• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Seroquel for heroin withdrawals?

belfort

Bluelighter
I know a couple that are addicted to heroin and I'm going to give them kratom to ease their withdrawals.they are mostly worried about the insomnia though..I've heard that seroquel is basically a very hardcore sleeping pill that knocks you out cold for 8-10 hours..now, someone that I'd kicking heroin, could they just keep taking seroquel throughout the day and night to basically stay asleep through most of the withdrawals?i haven't heard of people taking seroquel for opiate withdrawals but with as potent as it is, it seems like a great withdrawal aid..

Am I right or wrong?

Seroquel would be a bad choice for heroin withdrawals because it causes restless leg syndrome - a symptom of opiate withdrawal. Stick with the Kratom. Good luck

Seroquel would be a bad choice for heroin withdrawals because it causes restless leg syndrome - a symptom of opiate withdrawal. Stick with the Kratom. Good luck
Really? Why is this? I've used seroquel before (with lope and diazepam) for heroin wd's and it seemed to help me sleep. Everyone is different though.

Seroquill makes me insanely restless as well. This is a commonly reported symptom exacerbated by seroquill and even antihistamines during opioid withdrawal (or even in those taking them therapeutically).

My guess is that it has to do with the anti-cholinergic activity of these drugs although this is just an educated assumption based on the MOA of Seroquill and antihistamines, I could be wrong. Anyways I would personally rather use nothing than seroquill to be honest, but to each their own.

It's possible they won't encounter any of these issues, just be aware of the possibility. To be frank I don't think anything thing besides being anaesthetized will allow me to sleep through withdrawal though, sleep is just way too tough in the midst of w/d and very little actually helps me until the latter stages.

I and every other junkie who wound up in psych wards due to opiate withdrawals have had seroquel prescribed for opiate withdrawal induced psychosis

I would not try to play doctor but yes they do prescribe it for that reason

I know Seroquel can cause RLS but it doesn't necessarily do that in everyone. I find that with me higher doses pretty much consistently cause RLS, probably around 94% of the time however not always. Lower doses tend to not cause it for me (25-75mg range) but of course YMMV and everyone is different.

I think it can be useful for opiate withdrawals as it can also calm down the psych symptoms of the withdrawal as well so long as it doesn't exacerbate the RLS. Add a benzo to it and it really potentiates the sedative effect. Just boils down to how the individual reacts to it IMO. Definitely worth a try.

Seroquels doesn't cause RLS it causes akathisia.

It's not the same RLS usuaslly occurs automatically while laying down even while sleeping , akathisia forces you to get up and walk. (usually I walk in circles)

I take it daily and I definitely get rls from it.
It's even in the patient Information leaflet.

Hmm interesting. I'm just curious if anyone has any scientific evidence as to HOW exactly seroquel can cause RLS.
50 mg was the PERFECT knock-out dose for me but as we all know YMMV. Seroquel is fucking POTENT tho imo and experience.

The RLS (restless limbs syndrome) is always the WORST after taking diphenhydramine (active ingredient in Benadryl©).

I don't think there's any scientific evidence as to seroquel causing RLS specifically (as I'm not sure there's even proof of concept for RLS in the first place), but it is fully accepted that seroquel, and any other atypical antipsychotic, can cause akathisia, which many people probably wouldn't be able to distinguish from "RLS" anyway so yeah, you might as well call it RLS.

However, that's mainly in pretty hefty doses of seroquel or long term use. If you're just using it for a few days to kick opiates, the chances are very low that you'd get akathisia.

Seroquel wouldn't not address opiate withdrawal directly, and honestly would only really treat one symptom - insomnia. even the tiniest of doses, say 25mg, will knock you the fuck out (if you don't have a tolerance obviously). you might need a little more if you're in the midst of heroin withdrawal - maybe 50-100mg, but that's still a tiny dose, unlikely to cause akathisia.

For mental illnesses like bipolar, schizo, psychosis, etc, people usually take like 400-800mg. So taking 25-100mg to get some rest during opiate withdrawal is no big deal.

Quetiapine nor any other Benzodiazepine/Antihistamine/Z-Drug/Antipsychotic would help me sleep when I was going through severe Opiate withdrawal.

Maybe try Pregabalin and a bit of weed....

There is significant scientific evidence surrounding RLS, especially from anti-psychotics, typical or atypical. Dopamine antagonism (like typical anti-psychotics mechanism of action, at least partially responsible in atypicals like quetipine) is a cause of RLS. That's why most drug withdrawals cause it, with it being most pronounced in opiate withdrawal. FDA approved treatments for RLS? Yes they're called Dopamine D2 receptor agonists (i.e. mirapex - which can actually help opiate withdrawals). For some reason Gabapentin/Neurontin helps me the most with RLS (in high doses). I have taken typical and atypical anti-psychotics in rehab/institutions for sleep issues from opiate/benzo detoxes and they would help me sleep (for 1 maybe 2 hours), however I was basically running a marathon in my bed the other 6 hours I was in bed (confirmed by my roommates at the time). Is it worth the sleep? That's up to you I guess...

Actually this thread is funny because I'm on both subutex and quetiapine.. 16mg subutex and 600mg quetiapine .when i was in hospital my doctor stopped my quetiapine because my white blood cells were dangerous low and tgr the withdrawals i had off quetiapine was worse than methadone and herion ,i was pretty gob smacked no one in the mental health business warned me about this .
Into my 3rd day with quetiapine withdrawal i noticed when I'd taken my subutex ( i take my subutex in divided dose 1x 8mg in the morning and 1x8mg at around 7pm and when my subutex kicked in, it stopped my quetiapine withdrawal for maybe 2 hours then the quetiapine kicked back in but one of the nurses said while i was getting very ill and i was refusing to take my subutex and this one nurse said take your subutex it will help so they knew all about quetiapine so be careful and my doctor that night told my nurse to give me quetiapine back i was on 400mg xl back then .

Seroquill makes me insanely restless as well. This is a commonly reported symptom exacerbated by seroquill and even antihistamines during opioid withdrawal (or even in those taking them therapeutically).

My guess is that it has to do with the anti-cholinergic activity of these drugs although this is just an educated assumption based on the MOA of Seroquill and antihistamines, I could be wrong. Anyways I would personally rather use nothing than seroquill to be honest, but to each their own.

It's possible they won't encounter any of these issues, just be aware of the possibility. To be frank I don't think anything thing besides being anaesthetized will allow me to sleep through withdrawal though, sleep is just way too tough in the midst of w/d and very little actually helps me until the latter stages.
I think combined with kratom it would work well. A solid 5-8 gram dose of kratom will help with most of the withdrawal symptoms unless they have a HUGE heroin tolerance. Kratom is quite a bit stronger and effective at the mu-opiate receptors than most people think, so it will likely get rid of the restless legs and 80% of the other withdrawal symptoms, and then the seroquel will just knock you out cold for the night with a high enough dose.