• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Can Tylenol Pm kill you?

TeddybearKoRn

Bluelighter
just a question, i mean tylenol pm are great for sleep but if yyou become tolerant to them and have to continue taking more and more, what is the limit, can you die from OD-ing on tylenol PM, how many do you think would it take to kill you.

can i ask why you want to know? is it just curiosity? pm me if you don't want to post the answer.

I was going to answer but was worried/wondering why he wanted to know. It would be a bad way to die.. that's for sure.

Yes, you can die from OD ing on Tylenol PM. It will be from the acetaminophen and it will cause indefinite liver damage. 6000 milligrams is the beginning toxic dose, but ... usually people survive more then that. The antihistamine, diphenhhydramine, effects will be prominent but not life threatening compared to the ratio of the Acetaminophen (500 milligrams) to diphenhydramine (25 milligrams).

So, yes ... you can kill your self on it, but surely you will suffer hard before you die when your skin turns yellow and you vomit stomach acid. Have fun.

tylenol PMs have practically zero recreational value, well with myself at least ... and most people i know. so unless suicide is on the agenda, i doubt anyone would willlingly wanna take that much? :p

works great for comedowns though, coke and E especially.

It doesn't sound like he wants to kill himself. It is just a question regarding how much can you take before doing damage to oneself. He stated he is building a tolerance and has been upping the dosage to get the sleeping results he needs.

Tylenol in doses, I believe of around 3 grams or more (usually 6 pills) may be harmful to your liver. Diphenhydramine is even worse. That's the chemical in it (also in benedryl) that makes you sleepy. It's hard on your heart and unhealthy to take on a regular basis, and/or in large doses.
My opinion would be that it may be time to get a new sleep aid, there are a lot of less harmful alternatives.

Agnomaly said:
That's the chemical in it (also in benedryl) that makes you sleepy. It's hard on your heart and unhealthy to take on a regular basis, and/or in large doses.
My opinion would be that it may be time to get a new sleep aid, there are a lot of less harmful alternatives.

really? i have never heard that before, do you have any sources for that?
and besides melatonin and kava kava, milk thistle... what do you really suggest for sleep then?

a friend i have took some pain killers from the first aid kit at his work. he convinced me to try some. i had 2 and it was really nice, really chill. def not a placebo. the only listed active ingredient was acetaminophen.

acetaminophen = Tylenol
Ibuprophen = Advil

I suggest you guys leave the first aid kits alone. Unless you have more information on these so called "pain killers" there is little more we can tell you. It would seem that you managed to fool yourselves into believing you were getting off. (it just isnt feasable that narcotics made their way into public first aid kits).

SG

tylenol is HORRIBLE on the liver and it takes MUCH more tylentol in comparison to advil to cause permanent damage. being stupid and young and depressed for no reason, i took 36 extra strength tylenol (for attention, in front of my friends... OBNOXIOUS and DUMB i know)... well anyway, all it did was make me break out in a cold sweat and i got dizzy and felt weird. they couldnt even pump my stomach because tylenol doesnt go to your stomach- it goes to your liver, like they all said.

regardless, i'm not supposed to take tylenol anymore because of the damage it's already done... that would also explain why i DON'T get sick easily from drinking and it also DOESNT take much to get me drunk.

ok, the fda approved limit for acetaminophen is 4g/24hr period, NTE 1g/6hr period. all well and good, someone would look at that and say "well, 4g is the max safe limit". wrong. acetaminophen is not linear in its effects on the liver. the reason tylenol now has a warning about if you drink regularly is that they finally admitted that acetaminophen is toxic in lower doses over an extended period of time. the actual lethal does is 4.5-6g direct dose ( i believe). this means if you take about 8-12 tylenol pm (500mg acetaminophen/pill) you could very well die, or have a massage amount of liver damage. alcohol will make this worse. it isn't a pleasent way to die by all accounts, rather painful and slow. if you need to sleep and this is the only pill that works for you, take benedryl, same active ingerdiant, without the tylenol.

ceyrc, i was about to say the same thing about just taking the benydryl. It's what I do when I can't sleep. Or unisom is good too. I wish i got this kind of response when I posted my question on Acetminphen. Because I'm in a similar boat to TeddyBearkoRn. Only with me, it's normal tylenol, which I take pretty often, I go through about a bottle a month, because I get awful headaches. Throw in the Midol, which also has acetminophen, and I probably take around 500mg-1g of aceteminophen in a day. Not to good. I should try switching to advil every now and then...

I think this will help more.

Tallahassee - HELPLINE 24 - Telephone Counseling & Referral
Web Site: http://www.tcrs211.org/suicide
Gadsden, Jefferson, Leon, & Wakulla Counties: (850) 224-NEED (850-224-6333)
Web Site: http://www.tcrs211.org/h24/
Franklin, Liberty, Madison, & Taylor Counties: 1-877-211-7005
The Connection - Teen Info Line: (850) 425-TEEN (850-425-8336)
Web Site: http://www.tcrs211.org/connection/
PhoneFriend - Warmline for Kids: (850) 222-1141 - 3:00-6:00pm / Monday-Friday
Web Site: http://www.tcrs211.org/phonefriend/
Children's Mental Health & Substance Abuse:
Web Site: http://www.tcrs211.org/h24/adm.htm
Bay, Calhoun, Franklin, Gulf, Jackson, Holmes, Liberty, Madison, Taylor, & Washington Counties:
1-877-211-7005
Gadsden, Jefferson, Leon, & Wakulla Counties: (850) 224-NEED - (850-224-6333)

I'm pretty confident a gram of diphenhydramine could do someone in. I cheated death on 850mg...

Given the circumstances surrounding this thread, I think it is entirely plausible that the question posed is the spawn of suicidal inclinations. Thelazer already saw this and responded in kind; but I encourage everyone to keep this in mind.

a friend i have took some pain killers from the first aid kit at his work. he convinced me to try some. i had 2 and it was really nice, really chill. def not a placebo. the only listed active ingredient was acetaminophen.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! "def not a placebo". Yes, it definitely was. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Ayrios said:
I'm pretty confident a gram of diphenhydramine could do someone in. I cheated death on 850mg...

Try 1400 milligrams of diphenhydramine for roughly 2 times a week for months like me.

And do I still think this is cheating death? No.

Needless to say that's absolutely retarded, but it's your brain.

My heart rate was obscenely high from 850, near heart-attack levels.

wanderlust said:
really? i have never heard that before, do you have any sources for that?
and besides melatonin and kava kava, milk thistle... what do you really suggest for sleep then?

I'm wondering the same thing about sources for that info. on diphenhydramine being hard on your heart. Can anyone verify this with a credible source? I would definitely like to know, this seems to be a substance which is hard to get straight answers on pertaining to long-term effects.