Recruiting Your associations with users/ non-users

CollegeGurl

Greenlighter
*ADMINS PLEASE DELETE IF THIS POST IS INAPPROPRIATE, thanks :)*

Hi Y'all ,

Just wondering:

- What words do you associate with drug users?
- What words do you associate with non-users?

Here's why I'm asking, if you're wondering:
I'm a researcher at an Aussie uni. We're currently planning for a study looking at recreational drug users' implicit associations with aspects of drug use and positivity/negativity. That is, we're interested in the degree to which users see their using as an integral part of themselves, at an unconscious level, and how this might affect the ways they use. We test this implicit (unconscious) association by giving users an Implicit Associations Test (you can find out more about these kinds of tests here: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/). Rather than making assumptions, or falling prey to stereotypes, we'd like help from people who know to generate appropriate words for the categories above. If you have an opinion and would be willing to share, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for your help,

:) CollegeGurl

I think you should make a clear distinction between addiction and dependence. I think things involving the time of day they use a substance, how often they use it, and how much of their daily routine depends on being able to use that substance.
How often they think about quitting and if physical withdrawal is a worry is important too. And above all how often do they think about these things in general.
Hope this helps. Not sure if it's what your looking fot

Hi CollegeGurl,

It's no problem for you to post in this section, but please have a read of the forum guidelines and edit your post first, both to maintain the standards here at bluelight and so as to attract more people! PM me if you have any issues.

Cheers
Cam