• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Healthy acne management options

DRUGZNOTHUGZ

Bluelighter
Hi, I'm 25 and I still get nasty ass acne on my face, back, chest, ass and occasionally genitals. Acne is inherent in my father's side of the family, and my two sisters also cop it pretty badly. It's to the point where I was going to take (Ro)Accutane, a nasty treatment drug but apparently effective in some individuals. I was on it for a couple of days, and within a week or two I was experiencing cracked and dry lips. Thank God I wasn't pregnant 8)
But yeah, what turned me off that shit and made me stop taking it is when I asked about it on Bluelight and a guy shared with me his experience with it, where it destroyed his GI tract and basically fucked up his whole stomach, giving him immense pains and permanently causing him to require bowel movements every 10-15 minutes. I was like, well it sure as hell ain't worth worrying about something like that happening the whole time I'm on this shit now (I'm a bit of a hypochondriac ;)) and I ceased taking it.
In addition to that I've been on Proactiv, which was somewhat effective but ridiculously expensive and I didn't really buy into the hype, Minocycline/Tetracycline which made them fade a little and which I'm gonna get a script for again soon, products containing Salicylic Acid (Neutragena) which worked for a while but I think has ceased being effective now, some vitamins ie Vitamin B5 (really effective actually with my back but is it a bad idea to take it without professional approval?) B complex (made my urine bright fucking yellow so I stopped) and Zinc which I'm unsure as to the effectiveness cos I took it with the B5. I've also tried some dietary changes (although apparently acne isn't directly linked to what you eat, depending on what website you visit anyway. Blah :p) and drank tons of water, tried to cut back on my coffee and caffeine intake (surprisingly hard).
I think I'm gonna make a trip to the dermatologist soon cos it's summer and I always flare up around this time cos I sweat my ass off, spesh working in a factory in Straya when its 40 degrees. But yeah, has anyone tried something not mentioned here that really helped? Really really over it now and it's time to do something.

You may want to examine diet and make some radical changes there. Topical stuff for serious acne is usually just a patch. Whatever's causing the acne is internal. Even if you are genetically prone to sebum over-production, the quality of the sebum will determine if the pore gets clogged or not, or if bacteria will infect the pore.

MDs assert that acne is not related to diet but it's bullshit. Well, partially bullshit anyway. Hormonal changes can affect it for sure. But usually it's diet or stress related. Cortisol over-production from stress or a hyperactive lifestyle can cause it too.

Have you considered fasting, or going on some kind of cleansing diet for a while? Do you take probiotics? The skin tends to be the last toxin reservoir once all the others are overburdened, sometimes leading to acne... especially if it's cystic acne.

You may want to examine diet and make some radical changes there. Topical stuff for serious acne is usually just a patch. Whatever's causing the acne is internal. Even if you are genetically prone to sebum over-production, the quality of the sebum will determine if the pore gets clogged or not, or if bacteria will infect the pore.

MDs assert that acne is not related to diet but it's bullshit. Well, partially bullshit anyway. Hormonal changes can affect it for sure. But usually it's diet or stress related. Cortisol over-production from stress or a hyperactive lifestyle can cause it too.

Have you considered fasting, or going on some kind of cleansing diet for a while? Do you take probiotics? The skin tends to be the last toxin reservoir once all the others are overburdened, sometimes leading to acne... especially if it's cystic acne.

Very true.
I remember having to use hormone when I was low of testosterone last year and I started to experience acne.
I took care of it with a dermatologist but she said the same thing. Almost as literal as Foreigner has said.

Diet, hormones, stress, life style, etc.

Nah not a lady. Will look into fixing my diet cos I do eat a lot of crap, amongst other things. Probably way too much sugar, in the way of coffees and chocolate. But I can't cut back on carbs entirely or fast, I'm currently trying to gain mass in a healthy way via homemade weight gain shakes and eating healthy meals. If it's a choice between looking like a rake or having acne Ima go the former. Will look into some diets tomorrow as it's really late atm and I'm bout to hit the hay. Can anyone assert to the effectiveness of any kind of vitamin treatment such as the ones I suggested above? And I'll probably still visit the GP and get a dermy referral if the dietary changes don't help as much as I hope. Probably should cut back on the piss while I'm at it but I'm hooked, at least on the weekend... I self medicate my anxiety with it and anxiety is stressful as fuck so that's kind of a catch 22 as far as acne goes :(

Diets high in refined sugar are big acne triggers... feeds the bad bacteria in the gut, as well as in the skin.

I'd switch to complex carbs at least (like carrots, potatoes, etc.), and include more protein and healthy fat in the diet.

As for vitamins, generally the anti-oxidant vitamins help... vitamins E, C, and A. Vitamin D is also important, all around. Best sources for these are through diet, except vitamin D which you can buy in liquid form. You do have to eat more quantity to get what you need, but natural sources are more bioavailable, and you could probably use the roughage of vegetables to clear you out anyway. Even if you go the supplement route, you still need to take the vitamins with food in order to increase their absorption, which leads back to the question of what you're eating.

If you eat one mixed colourful salad daily and cut back on sugar, and take a food-based probiotic like sauerkraut or kefir, I bet you'd notice a difference pretty quickly.

Egg yolk masks at night.
Very simple you just seperate the yolk from the egg and spread it on your face like a mask and leave it on for about ten minutes or until it dries and then rinse it off. There are so many vitamins in the egg yolk that it works within just a few weeks if you do it nightly.

Everyone pretty much covered it...

Can you just briefly list EVERYTHING you've ever tried? Also, do you give the products/compounds/nutrients a sufficient amount of time to take effect? Acne vulgaris seems to spawn instantaneously, but unfortunately it'll require 4x-6x longer to dissipate.

Antibiotics are a poor avenue due to overuse and the possibility for the P. Acnes bacterium to acquire a unique resistance to the overused antibiotic (usually tetracycline family antibiotics are the ones prescribed).

I've had good luck with doxycycline or minocycline as a quick fix, usually as just a 3 month prescription to get things under control. But it's not something you can do longterm.
Right now I'm taking probiotics because they're supposed to be good for you in general and one of the benefits listed was clearer skin.

Hi, I'm 25 and I still get nasty ass acne on my face, back, chest, ass and occasionally genitals. Acne is inherent in my father's side of the family, and my two sisters also cop it pretty badly. It's to the point where I was going to take (Ro)Accutane, a nasty treatment drug but apparently effective in some individuals. I was on it for a couple of days, and within a week or two I was experiencing cracked and dry lips. Thank God I wasn't pregnant
rolleyes.gif

But yeah, what turned me off that shit and made me stop taking it is when I asked about it on Bluelight and a guy shared with me his experience with it, where it destroyed his GI tract and basically fucked up his whole stomach, giving him immense pains and permanently causing him to require bowel movements every 10-15 minutes. I was like, well it sure as hell ain't worth worrying about something like that happening the whole time I'm on this shit now (I'm a bit of a hypochondriac
wink.gif
) and I ceased taking it.
In addition to that I've been on Proactiv, which was somewhat effective but ridiculously expensive and I didn't really buy into the hype, Minocycline/Tetracycline which made them fade a little and which I'm gonna get a script for again soon, products containing Salicylic Acid (Neutragena) which worked for a while but I think has ceased being effective now, some vitamins ie Vitamin B5 (really effective actually with my back but is it a bad idea to take it without professional approval?) B complex (made my urine bright fucking yellow so I stopped) and Zinc which I'm unsure as to the effectiveness cos I took it with the B5. I've also tried some dietary changes (although apparently acne isn't directly linked to what you eat, depending on what website you visit anyway. Blah
tongue.gif
) and drank tons of water, tried to cut back on my coffee and caffeine intake (surprisingly hard).
I think I'm gonna make a trip to the dermatologist soon cos it's summer and I always flare up around this time cos I sweat my ass off, spesh working in a factory in Straya when its 40 degrees. But yeah, has anyone tried something not mentioned here that really helped? Really really over it now and it's time to do something.

I'll try to clear things up and probably reiterate previous posts above by other knowledgeable members...

Acne has many different classifications that require professional diagnostic procedures to correctly define, but we'll just stick with acne vulgaris. Now acne vulgaris can be broken down into subsections such as non-inflammatory, inflammatory, or cystic. These can very and/or share similar root variables contributing to their pathogenesis such as hormonal imbalance, nutritional irregularities, or lack of equilibrium with our native bacterium population (superficially-skin or internally-gastrointestinal). The main culprit for the development of acne lesions can be narrowed down to a anaerobic (grows without oxygen) bacterium called Propionibacterium Acnes AKA P. Acnes.
Ironically a lot of people don't realize, but this bacterium is generally present and cooperative to a degree with other bacterium present in our skin microbiota (ecosystem regarding the community of aerobic/anaerobic bacteria thriving on our skin). However, the density of P. Acnes colonies are usually virtually undetectable on healthy skin. When colonization begins to outpace the body's control mechanisms and create an unfavorable ratio of good/bad bacteria, then everything goes bonkers.

You could describe the cascading growth of P. Acnes as a snowball effect. This is due to how the bacterium thrives and it's mechanisms at which it continuously degrades the structural integrity of surrounding skin cells increasing susceptibility to further reproduction and infection. For specifics the P. Acnes utilizes sebum, cellular byproducts, and specific nutrients (I'll get to the nutrients later) for energy to continue growing. This form of energy harvesting from surrounding molecular junk is a result of it's ability to produce intrinsic digestive proteins that accelerate it's potential threshold. Now eventually our body will see this form of infection as an exogenous intrusion which initiates an immune system response (remember our skin is apart of the immune system as well as the integumentary system). Skipping some rather complicated mechanisms with immune cell productions, we eventually end up with an inflammatory response causing easily identifiable redness, swelling, and pustular discharge.

This doesn't necessarily always occur though in the case of those who display non-inflammatory acne lesions/comedomes. The reasoning for this? I'd attribute to genetic predispositions as well as the current health of the body. Eventually if you don't nonsensically pick your face like a maniac out of pure frustration (or you tweakers out there) then the process of healing will gradually take into effect. After all is said and done the result of what damage it left, if any comes down to the severity of the swelling/puss development along with the magnitude at which it breached the skin (if applicable). What I mean my applicable is the iconic scarring you see on unfortunate individuals who suffered from a rather ravenous form of development. Inevitably leading to deep pick-like scarring, deep craters, or an appearance of waves due to the outer epithelial losing it's structural identity.

Fun Fact: From what I've comprehended, the scarring you see producing deep pockets like someone took a pick axe to the surface is the result of scar tissue binding to the utter most deep portion of the skin's layers. That should be a pretty good indicator regarding the depth of where it's origin begins. Hence the use of what is termed, "Punch-Incision Method." They'll actually take a cylindrical tool that punctures out a portion of the skin containing the superficial scarring almost like a cookie cutter, then casually stitch the portion to the skin again. This disconnects the dense bond that was present between the dense scar tissue and the deepest layer of skin. Usually they follow up the procedure a few months later with laser reconstructive procedures to help jump start collagen production and slowly replace the surgical aftermath with new collagen. You can find detailed explanations on Youtube, but it looks like a big commitment as they recommend no exposure to direct sunlight for 6+ months. You also look like a burn victim for a while.

Topical applications

There is a myriad of bullsh!t on the market to be blunt. Majority of over counter topical acne solutions contain salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, alpha-hydroxy acids/beta-hydroxy acids, triclocarbons...etc etc etc.... Majority of the time the only way you can get legitimate medicated solutions is from your dermatologist, but that doesn't necessarily correlate to an increase in effectiveness. They also have lotions that contain mild acidic compounds like glycolic acid, retinoids, and relative vitamins. I'll try to cover the best I can, but I'm not highly versed on a few acids/peroxides/astrigents.

-Benzoyl Peroxide- This is an organic peroxide that possesses bactericidal abilities that thankfully does not cause a bacterial resistant reaction. It's pretty self explanatory on what it offers if you know a little bit of rudimentary chemistry (a peroxide is an oxygenating agent; P. Acnes is anaerobic in nature; oxidizing the bacterium causes death). Watch out for getting it in your eyes because it burns pretty not good and it's a bleaching agent if a sufficient amount absorbs into the hair. It'll also lead to hypersensitivity to the sun temporarily due to decreased tolerance against UV radiation. Don't leave it on your face too long as oxidation can lead to cell destruction just as much as a lack of oxygen. Too much of anything is bad.

-Salicylic Acid- It's an organic acid capable of degrading keratin and sebum along with providing bactericidal properties. This helps accelerate the shedding of our epidermis and prevent dead skin cells from clogging our pores (technical terminology is keratolytic and comedolytic). In higher concentrations it can be used to vaporize warts caused by HPV or effectively used as a viable chemical peel. You would need a proper license to acquire highly concentrated salicylic acid for your own safety.

-AHA/BHA; Alpha-hydroxy acids and Beta-hydroxy acids- Another organic acid variant that accelerates the shedding of epidermis skin cells to help prevent cellular debris from eventually clocking the pores. Can also be used as an astrigent/toner. Glycolic acid and lactic acid are considered AHA's while Salicylic acid falls under BHA's. There is quite a bit of different acids with varying strengths out there so just experiment with them and try to avoid overuse. It's not too hard to give yourself a gnarly chemical burn if you begin to use an overzealous protocol.

-Witch Hazel- A rather old yet classic astrigent that some love. Has antimicrobial and bactericidal properties. In my personal use it's also helped with preventing dry skin after a shower or an aggressive exfoliation session. Helps reduce redness on pimples, too!

-Hydrogen Peroxide- Also a peroxide just like benzoyl peroxide, but much weaker in reactivity. Still does the job. Still causes bleaching to hair. Still causes UV hypersensitivity.

-Isopropyl Alcohol- Technically Iso can liquify lipids depending upon concentration. It's a highly aggressive solution to apply to your facial area due to extreme drying and overall punishing nature. Remember our skin is comprised of lipids. Great for a wound or a massive pimple that just detonated for immediate bacteria control. I wouldn't recommend using it everyday.

Nutrition

This is the most subjective part of the ongoing war with effective acne treatment protocols. There is so much intrinsic factors that correlate to micronutritional/macromineral/micromineral absorption between each person. As well as what specific nutrient is causing the issue because that can be almost anything with anyone. Some nutrients heavily rely on other compounds for their metabolism, while some cannot be taken at the same time as a contradicting nutrient. It's pretty much a gangbang on molecular level when you get down to the nitty gritty on how you should go about "self-diagnosing" your deficiency and the correct protocol to return this micronutritional concentration back to it's optimal level.

I'm going to touch up on some specifics that I'm a little rusty in. I'm sure no matter what I return with, there will be something to contradict my findings. Or someone who tried that and said it made it worse.

I'll finish this up in a bit. Along with why you should avoid antibiotics at all cost and why binge eating Krispy Creme donuts is basically poison. Don't judge my typos.

Last edited:
I've considered going on prescribed meds myself for adult acne.

After I quit opiates my skin went south and I believe most of it is due to stress.

One thing that helps me is probiotics, but it takes a few weeks to make a difference.

I have recently started using an acne face soap Nivea Sensitive face wash, its good stuff.

I notice though whenever my boss decides to show up at work and stir the pot, that I end up having break outs afterwards, so I blame her and her bs stress.

Thanks for the replies everyone, lots of help :)
@Foreigner yeah my diet is pretty lacking at times, been eating a lot of fast food lately and probably too much chocolate. Don't really get noticeable outbreaks as a result but no doubt it would contribute. And I do skive out on my vitamins a bit so the salad a day probably isn't a bad idea. I'll also look into probiotics, I've looked into it a bit and what I've seen is encouraging. Thanks for the help.
@GrymReefer, covered pretty much everything in my OP as far as medications go... I've done stuff like drink tons of water a day, which did help and which I try to do every day anyway for general health. I usually stick to them long enough to see a difference to see an effect but then run out and my acne doesn't get bad again for a while so I forget to get more... so yeah, laziness contributes. Keen to change that now though, while I'm monitoring my diet for training anyway. And thanks for that big ass paragraph haha I'll go through that in greater detail when I have time, from what I read there's a lot to take from it.
@Mmp85 How are they faring for you so far? What brand or type do you have?
@David Wooderson What's your facial soap contain? I use soap free soap, atm I got Kenkay, it's intended for sensitive skin and doesn't dry my skin out as much as regular soap. Not really sure if it makes a difference but I dislike regular soap since I started using it so I've stuck to it regardless.

Last edited:
I'm not using either doxycycline or minocycline right now but in the past my derm has given them to me in 3 month doses to get a head start on clearing my skin up. They're oral antibiotics.
Right now I'm not using anything prescribed by a derm but have an appt in the spring, there's only a couple derm offices in my town and only one I really trust and prefer so appts take a long time to come by.
I'm using Mario Badescu's line of acne care. Not as expensive as proactive but more expensive than Nuetrogena and such. It depends on which items you get, they aren't all must haves.

A client that came into work recently said that her mother taught her to put urine on her acne. She said you have to take the first urine of the day when you get up in the morning, and dab it on the acne. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then wash it off. She said she swears by it.

If I had acne I'd give it a try. I'm fascinated by such weird remedies :D

^you can have some of my acne if you want. No givey backsys though! Haha I'll pass... I draw the line at covering myself with piss.
Yeah it takes a while to get an appointment in Melbourne too... at least a month in the suburbs. Yeah i used to have Minocycline, it worked alright. As someone said above though, not exactly a permanant solution.

I used to get really bad back acne and I realized it was from The soap I was using it drive me out if you ever noticed people with really bad acne always have dry faces you need to make sure that you invest in a good moisturizer or oil I know it sounds like that be horrible for you but its not you combat acne with oil trust me try it cheaper than all these other medicines I personally use one called de la Cruz almond oil you can find it at like CVS in the pharmacy aisle or Walmart wherever. And for my back and body I quit using bar soap and started using shampoo or a good body wash. also a washcloth. And shower daily. Wash your hair daily. I noticed I would get really bad acne when I went one day without washing my hair. Make sure you take the time to moisturize at first it seemed like it Too much but really it's helping your face when you start moisturizing

Diet 110% control wash your face and when your put cream used all over your face because the bacteria migrate and be a good person this helps for stress this cream is good dermaline ( crema aclaradora) and a cleanser get cerave renewing sa cleanser