View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Surviving a bad trip

ScroogeMcDuck57

Bluelighter
I know this might seem like a broad category. I've had some bad times on psychedelics, and certain beliefs and ideas have gotten me through them without harm. I guess I'd like to hear how, either through actions or beliefs, people can survive their experience without hurting themselves or others.

For me, knowing that the exerience is only temporary is a big help. I try to keep in mind that the experience isn't reality, and that I'll be back to normal later.

I don't know of any chemical ways of counter acting the effects.

What works for you?

Psychedelics are unique and intriguing chemicals. They have an enormous amount of therapeutic potential. Unlike other drugs set and setting heavily influence the experience. I was involved with a supportive community early in my psychedelic exploration. I was taught every psychedelic experience was positive if you grow and learn. This is especially true of difficult experiences, these experiences offer the most growth potential and learning potential too.

This positive vibe is both valid and self fulfilling. I have grown and learned with every psychedelic experience I have had. I consider all of my experiences with the classical psychedelics positive.

I am lucky I had supportive and compassionate people in my life. Learn how you maximize growth and learning from psychedelic experiences by following these links.

Eamon Armstrong said:
In your festival adventures you may run across someone who is having a difficult psychedelic experience. It's important that we all take care of each other at festivals so don't abandon someone who may need your help. If that someone seems to be posing a danger to themselves or others, alert festival security immediately. Being a good samaritan shouldn't put you in physical danger.

However, if the person is lost and confused there are ways you can support him or her and keep them safe. Consider assisting them in getting to the medical tent. If you're concerned you may get in trouble check out this helpful response from our column Ask The Festival Lawyer. There are trained professionals who can help and will do so in a supportive, nonjudgemental manner. Some festivals have designated safe spaces for people in such a condition. The Zendo Project , a group based in Santa Cruz, California, provides such a space at festivals and has compiled Four Pillars of Psychedelic Support to utilize if no other help is available. The following description of Zendo's Four Pillars is an excerpt from my own experience working with the Zendo project in Costa Rica at Envision Festival.

1. Create a Safe Space

Zendo_2.png

Photo by: The Zendo Project

Festival environments are designed to be highly stimulating: Bombastic sound systems, intense light shows and general cacophony create a surreal wonderland for adventure. But when things start to overwhelm, these dynamic effects can heighten anxiety. Zendo is designed to provide tranquility and comfort. In addition to feeling physically safe, the guest must feel emotionally safe, which involves volunteers exuding a non-judgmental, welcoming attitude.

The conditions for this safety system, according to Sara Gael, MA MAPS Harm Reduction Coordinator, holistic psychotherapist, and Zendo Envision lead, are known as “set” and “setting.”

“'Set' refers to an individual’s internal state and includes emotional state and mood, pre-existing mental conditions, stress, comfort, and developmental stage," she explains. "'Setting' refers to an individual’s external conditions including where the person is, whom they are with, dosage, and drug interactions."

Gael emphasizes that set and setting are not mutually exclusive, and affect and inform one another. When sitters pay attention to an individual's set and setting, a safety system, uniquely tailored to that individual, can be created, so that the individual can surrender to the experience, even if discomfort or fear arises.

2. Sitting, Not Guiding

Zendo_3.png

Rather than using direct intervention, the goal for the sitter is to allow healing to occur naturally. The tools we used were breathing, validating, mirroring and affirming. The importance of not intervening in a guest’s experience was emphasized over and over throughout the weekend.

From MAPS: How to Work With Difficult Psychedelic Experiences: “There is always the tendency to overpower the other with our knowledge, wisdom, and insight. So let go of all knowledge regarding the experiences that the person is having. Just be with, listen, and observe.”

Does that mean that the sitter must be rigid and avoid engaging with the guest at all?

“It can be useful to provide gentle reassurance or reframing of the experience," explains Chelsea Rose, Zendo's volunteer coordinator. "These methods of support reflect what is already happening for the individual, while also reassuring them that their experience is acceptable."

3. Talk Through, Not Down

Zendo_4.png

Sitters are taught to understand that there is a natural process going on in the mind of the affected guest. Thus there is no effort to end the psychedelic trip prematurely; sitters must simply let the guest experience it with as much safety and comfort as possible.

Linnae Ponté, Director of Harm Reduction at MAPS and Founder of the Zendo Project repeats the mantra of "Trust. Let go. Be open. Breathe. Surrender."

Ponté says that when re-experiencing emotions from a past trauma, (which sometimes happens with psychedelics) having the space to feel the extent of that pain and suffering can be a pivotal to the guest's healing opportunity. A sitter must acknowledge that any emotions that bubble to the surface during a psychedelic experience are often strongly charged and can bring guests to the threshold of his or her consciousness.

"Our job isn’t to intervene, but to trust whatever is happening for them, and whatever it brings up in us, and to know it’s all temporary," Ponté continues. "We live in a world where emotional discomfort is suppressed with all kinds of drugs and behaviors, and we give guests the opportunity to instead go into the discomfort, and find out what’s underneath it."

4. Difficult is Not the Same as Bad

Zendo_5.png

The assumption that a difficult experience is “bad” can in fact contribute to the anxiety and general discomfort of the journey. “The mindset evident in the term 'bad trip' helps shed light on the outdated and often harmful methods by which these experiences are often addressed, including hospitalization and the involvement of law enforcement," explains Sara Gael. This approach to handling someone having a difficult psychedelic experience is common at events and often worsens or escalates a situation. They are methods that attempt to end or interrupt the individual’s experience and can send a message to the individual that something is wrong with them or that they are not safe."

Clearly, that is not the ideal approach for someone who is already feeling overwhelmed or frightened.

Zendo_1.png

For a more complete explanation of how to support individuals who are experiencing an intense psychedelic experience, including important ethical concerns, check out the newly compiled Manual of Psychedelic Support. This incredible resource was the result of a collaboration between researchers, artists, psychiatrists, therapists, psychonauts, and festival producers and is freely available under a Creative Commons license.

https://www.fest300.com/magazine/how-to-help-someone-who-s-tripping-out-at-a-festival

That's fantastic. Being in a place where others are accepting of people tripping like a festival is a great place to for that.
Are there techniques for when you're alone to keep yourself out of trouble?

I've had friends who were dosed without their knowledge for nefarious purposes. Are the police your best option in that situation?

No. They are a last resort ever. Usually somebody will ask you if you are all right. It all depends. Worst case, get lost somewhere private enough that you can do your thing to get straight. I don't know if any of this makes sense, but an experienced tripper, usually has safe guards built in. Lock yourself in a public toilet. This is all subjective. If you feel that you were dosed, not by your own hand, security is not always a problem. It's always different. Every place, every time. So hard to answer.

That's a good point. Thanks for the insight.
Subsequent to my bad experiences I err more on the side of caution now by trying new stuff at home first or taking a smaller dose. I usually have a few memories I try to keep fresh in mind to maintain some positivity.

That's it. Just what you said. Know you and your stuff. A show might be a place to do that. Camping might be.

Wandering a run down area of a city after an underground party might not be the best location.
I haven't had any psychotic repercussions per say subsequent to my bad experiences, but for those who are more troubled by their trip are mental health professionals equipped to handle these things?
My guess would be yes, and I apologize if that's an obviously answered question.

Some certainly are, others most definitely not. If it's a psychologist, therapist, psychiatrist, etc that you've seen before and is educated on these matters they will probably be helpful. There are plenty of people in mental health that are still in the "Drugs are bad, mmmmkay..." camp as well though, and they may be less helpful.

write yourself a short letter before dosing. short and simple. "this feeling is temporary. i chose to alter my consciousness for fun. there is no threat of danger. it will soon go away, and i will be bored again." ive had several of these written out for events and although i did not need it, they were helpful to and appreciated by several others. write on your arms. write on your mirrors!

If you absolutely need to kill a trip, wouldn't something like Seroquel be relatively quick and effective at doing that?

If I was tripping too hard I'd probably not be capable of located and taking more drugs. Possibly keeping some on hand might help.