Study Low Dose AAS May Regenerate Damaged Neurons

CFC

Bluelight Crew
A free study for all to read, linked at the bottom.

In short, they reported the marked improvement in condition of a person with an inherited demyelinating disease, where neurons lose their protective sheathe and disability ensues - a little bit like Multiple Sclerosis.

Low dose oxandrolone (20mg/day) for 3 months (plus 2000iu HCG every 15 days) and weight-training stimulated a nerve regeneration leading to increased strength, muscle control, and muscle mass. The effect of the AAS was in addition to exercise (which has not shown any improvement alone in past studies).

Essentially they believe the nerves began to remyelinate. This is actually much more profound than it may seem. Many diseases (and even aging) involve an excessive de-innervation process, and we've had a lot of trouble stopping it. If mildly supraphysiological doses of AAS can be shown to reverse these effects, it could transform a lot of patient lives for the better.

Am J Case Rep. 2015; 16: 763–767.
Neuroregenerative Effect of Oxandrolone: A Case Report
Vittorio Bianchi A,E,F, and Adriana Marbini B.

[h=2]Abstract[/h]Patient: Male, 25
Final Diagnosis: Charcot-Marie-Tooth 1
Symptoms: Muscular • spasticity
Medication: Oxandrolone
Clinical Procedure: Neural and muscle biopsies
Specialty: Neurology
[h=3]Objective:[/h]Unusual setting of medical care

[h=3]Background:[/h]Anabolic steroids have the clinical effect of increasing protein synthesis in muscle and other tissues. The brain and spinal cord neurons have gonadal steroid receptors and various studies have shown at structural and molecular levels that androgenic steroids have a significant trophic effect on the brain and spinal cord.

[h=3]Case Report:[/h]We evaluated the effect of Oxandrolone (an FDA-approved anabolic steroid) at the dose of 20 mg/day for 3 months added to concomitant exercise strength training 3 times a week in a patient affected by a demyelinating disease, Charcot-Marie-Toot 1 (CMT1). After the treatment, an increase in muscular strength and walking capacity was observed. Muscle biopsy revealed a significant increase of type grouping of muscle fibers, an expression of regeneration and reinnervation processes.

[h=3]Conclusions:[/h]Data ensuing from this single case-report suggest that anabolic androgenic steroids have a potential neuroregenerative effect, with an inherent improvement in neuromuscular efficiency through an increased myelin synthesis at peripheral nervous system site.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4629627/

Would this also benefit the people who have to take "Lorenzos oil" for ALD I believe it's called? I know it also strips myelin sheaths as well.

Interesting paper CFC, reminds me of a patient I had recently presenting with seizure due to MS, a condition which is responsible for degenerative changes to myelin sheaths affecting action potential, amongst other things... Little understood and terribly dilapidating disease...

Pharma grade oxandrolone, as rare as hens teeth..lol :)

Last edited:
I honestly don't know but it must surely be worth trialling the effects of AAS on ALS, MS and the others. If only to get your hands on gold-dust-like pharma anavar lol.

. . .

This just came to my attention, and it has interesting implications for cognition, mood, and other stuff. Perhaps MODEST activation of the androgen receptor (with androgens, or perhaps SARMS) can upregulate myelin repair, and hence have a salutary effect on a number of conditions.

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Dec 20;113(51):14829-14834. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1614826113. Epub 2016 Dec 7.

Unexpected central role of the androgen receptor in the spontaneous regeneration of myelin.

Bielecki B1,2, Mattern C3, Ghoumari AM1, Javaid S1,4, Smietanka K1,2, Abi Ghanem C1, Mhaouty-Kodja S5, Ghandour MS6,7, Baulieu EE8, Franklin RJ9,10, Schumacher M8, Traiffort E1.

Author information

Abstract

Lost myelin can be replaced after injury or during demyelinating diseases in a regenerative process called remyelination. In the central nervous system (CNS), the myelin sheaths, which protect axons and allow the fast propagation of electrical impulses, are produced by oligodendrocytes. The abundance and widespread distribution of oligodendrocyte progenitors (OPs) within the adult CNS account for this remarkable regenerative potential. Here, we report a key role for the male gonad, testosterone, and androgen receptor (AR) in CNS remyelination. After lysolecithin-induced demyelination of the male mouse ventral spinal cord white matter, the recruitment of glial fibrillary acidic protein-expressing astrocytes was compromised in the absence of testes and testosterone signaling via AR. Concomitantly, the differentiation of OPs into oligodendrocytes forming myelin basic protein (MBP)+ and proteolipid protein-positive myelin was impaired. Instead, in the absence of astrocytes, axons were remyelinated by protein zero (P0)+ and peripheral myelin protein 22-kDa (PMP22)+ myelin, normally only produced by Schwann cells in the peripheral nervous system. Thus, testosterone favors astrocyte recruitment and spontaneous oligodendrocyte-mediated remyelination. This finding may have important implications for demyelinating diseases, psychiatric disorders, and cognitive aging. The testosterone dependency of CNS oligodendrocyte remyelination may have roots in the evolutionary history of the AR, because the receptor has evolved from an ancestral 3-ketosteroid receptor through gene duplication at the time when myelin appeared in jawed vertebrates.

KEYWORDS:

Schwann cells; androgen receptor; myelin; oligodendrocytes; testosterone

PMID:27930320PMCID:PMC5187716 [Available on 2017-06-20]DOI:10.1073/pnas.1614826113

I wonder if therein is some explanation for the higher rate of MS in women (lower testosterone).

I wonder if therein is some explanation for the higher rate of MS in women (lower testosterone).

Potentially yes, this may be the case although presence of estrogen seems to have some relevance:

In the CNS, testosterone exerts its effects either after binding to intracellular AR or via its metabolites: estradiol, 3α-androstanediol, and 3β-androstanediol.

Testosterone signaling via its conversion to estradiol may correspond to a phylogenetically ancient mechanism, because the ancestral intracellular steroid receptor was a receptor for estrogens

I honestly don't know but it must surely be worth trialling the effects of AAS on ALS, MS and the others. If only to get your hands on gold-dust-like pharma anavar lol.

Absolutely, especially in light of that most recent item (androgen receptor v/v myelin). IIRC oxandrolone was used in one small ALS trial and showed modest or slight beneficial effect. IIRC that trial employed a quite low dose, I think 10 mg x 2 daily, maybe less. If I had ALS I would be cranking the 'var (if I could get genuine stuff) at 3X that dose, in addition to other AASs. Essentially an elite-bodybuilder AAS schedule. Not because it has been proven to work, but because there is a bunch of suggestive literature, plus WHY THE HELL NOT TRY IT, if you're going to wither and die in a couple years anyway?

If I had ALS I would be cranking the 'var (if I could get genuine stuff) at 3X that dose, in addition to other AASs.

Oxandrolone, or any of the DHT AASs. Drostanolone, mesterolone, whatever. Maybe a stack of several.

PLoS One.
2012;7(5):e37258. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0037258. Epub 2012 May 14.

[h=1]Dihydrotestosterone ameliorates degeneration in muscle, axons and motoneurons and improves motor function in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis model mice.[/h]Yoo YE1, Ko CP.

[h=3]Author information[/h]
[h=3]Abstract[/h]Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a lethal disease characterized by a progressive loss of motoneurons. The clinical symptoms include skeletal muscle weakness and atrophy, which impairs motor performance and eventually leads to respiratory failure. We tested whether dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which has both anabolic effects on muscle and neuroprotective effects on axons and motoneurons, can ameliorate clinical symptoms in ALS. A silastic tube containing DHT crystals was implanted subcutaneously in SOD1-G93A mice at early symptomatic age when decreases in body weight and grip-strength were observed as compared to wild-type mice. DHT-treated SOD1-G93A mice demonstrated ameliorated muscle atrophy and increased body weight, which was associated with stronger grip-strength. DHT treatment increased the expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 in muscle, which can exert myotrophic as well as neurotrophic effects through retrograde transport. DHT treatment attenuated neuromuscular junction denervation, and axonal and motoneuron loss. DHT-treated SOD1-G93A mice demonstrated improvement in motor behavior as assessed by rota-rod and gait analyses, and an increased lifespan. Application of DHT is a relatively simple and non-invasive procedure, which may be translated into therapy to improve the quality of life for ALS patients.

PMID:22606355PMCID:PMC3351454DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0037258

Free PMC Article

IIRC oxandrolone was used in one small ALS trial and showed modest or slight beneficial effect. IIRC that trial employed a quite low dose, I think 10 mg x 2 daily, maybe less.

Check. Why the conservative dose? Pansy-ass dose = pansy-ass results.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080221154004/http://www.als-mda.org/publications/als/als7_10.html
[h=5]Oxandrolone[/h] Jeffrey Rosenfeld, who heads the MDA/ALS Center at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, N.C., was on a team that tested the drug oxandrolone in 12 people with ALS and found it apparently prevented a decrease in strength in some muscle groups.

Oxandrolone is a synthetic steroid of the “anabolic” (tissue-building) type. It’s similar in structure to the male hormone testosterone.

Muscle strength was checked every three months for a year in participants who took 10 milligrams of oxandrolone twice a day. The muscle groups that were weakest (less than 40 percent of normal strength) at the outset didn’t decline during the study period, while similarly weakened muscle groups in those receiving a placebo as part of a separate study did.

The muscles that were rated as stronger (more than 40 percent of normal strength) at the trial’s outset did, however, get significantly weaker during the study. The drug didn’t help with weight maintenance or respiratory capacity, but was well tolerated with few side effects.

The authors say that oxandrolone “may have a selective benefit in the weakest muscle groups” in ALS. They’re undertaking further studies to test oxandrolone in conjunction with other compounds.

And, speaking of pansy-ass doses, from the same link:
Creatine
A study of 175 people with probable or definite ALS at University Medical Centre in Utrecht and the Academic Medical Centre in Amsterdam in the Netherlands found “no evidence for a beneficial effects of creatine on survival, disease progression or symptoms.”

In this startlingly disappointing study, participants were randomly assigned to receive either 10 grams a day of creatine or a placebo.

“A difference in survival in favour of creatine could not be proven,” the authors write in their summary. “The rates of decline of functional measures were not significantly different between the groups.” The trial was stopped when it became clear that the creatine wasn’t making a difference.

If I had ALS I would be taking 30 grams a day, in combination with a ton of other stuff, especially the DHT AASs. Creatine increases muscle DHT, does it not? At least based on one study.

I have a family friend with MS (he's had it for about 35 years now), and pointed him in the direction of AAS. Unfortunately his consultant is totally against and very inflexible, parroting about the risks. That attitude seems astonishing - cruel even - when you consider how terrible his quality of life is now, and how little he really has to lose.

I think this kind of myopic mindset is really difficult to overcome though. I encounter it in all walks of life not just medicine - it's common in bodybuilding too. People in general seem quite inflexible in thought and resistant to new ideas and 'out of the box' thinking, which skews with their sense of perspective.

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." -- Max Planck

And not just new scientific truths, but, as you say, pretty much new, creative ideas of any kind.

Do we really have to wait for them to die, before things can change? Depressing thought.

I have a family friend with MS (he's had it for about 35 years now), and pointed him in the direction of AAS. Unfortunately his consultant is totally against and very inflexible, parroting about the risks. That attitude seems astonishing - cruel even - when you consider how terrible his quality of life is now, and how little he really has to lose.

I think this kind of myopic mindset is really difficult to overcome though. I encounter it in all walks of life not just medicine - it's common in bodybuilding too. People in general seem quite inflexible in thought and resistant to new ideas and 'out of the box' thinking, which skews with their sense of perspective.

Medicine no longer seems to be about finding a cure for pt's medical condition, rather being seen to manage that condition with expensive medications..

Consultation> prescribe medication> medication creates side effects> consultation> more medication> repeat..!!

I've had a look back on pt's meds' over the last few weeks, the average is prescribed 6-8 medications for each patient with one having been prescribed 26 different drugs..
I'm getting called to conditions that could very well be the side effects of a pt's medications, and what happens, they come out of hospital with more drugs..

Never do I hear of meds dropped, in favour of lifestyle changes, stopping smoking, reduced ETOH, dietary modifications and exercise programs, because it might just work..

There's no profit in healthy people...

Interesting paper CFC, reminds me of a patient I had recently presenting with seizure due to MS, a condition which is responsible for degenerative changes to myelin sheaths affecting action potential, amongst other things... Little understood and terribly dilapidating disease...

Pharma grade oxandrolone, as rare as hens teeth..lol :)

GF what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?

Medicine no longer seems to be about finding a cure for pt's medical condition, rather being seen to manage that condition with expensive medications..

Consultation> prescribe medication> medication creates side effects> consultation> more medication> repeat..!!

I've had a look back on pt's meds' over the last few weeks, the average is prescribed 6-8 medications for each patient with one having been prescribed 26 different drugs..
I'm getting called to conditions that could very well be the side effects of a pt's medications, and what happens, they come out of hospital with more drugs..

Never do I hear of meds dropped, in favour of lifestyle changes, stopping smoking, reduced ETOH, dietary modifications and exercise programs, because it might just work..

Classic self-fulfilling cycle! My grandmother at 93 is on a whole pharmacy of meds, half of which it seems are to counter the effects of others. Having said that, I generally find NHS doctors a right pain to get medication from even for very legit issues if you look fit and healthy.

Gospel truth there! I am only speculating... but it's easy for me to imagine that, if some researcher working in Big Pharma's basement was to one day tell his employer that he had discovered a compound which, taken for two weeks, would CURE high blood pressure permanently (thus ending, for millions, their lifelong dependence on BP control meds)... we would never hear about that compound, instead we would hear of the unfortunate demise of a brilliant scientist in a fiery crash at the bottom of a cliff.

I was a sufferer of Transverse Myelitis just over 8 years ago. Complete loss of sensation & function from the waist down which quickly progressed in the space of 3 hours. With the help of immunoglobulins at the onset and rehabilitation the following months, I was able to walk again, although not confidently. As the years passed, there have always been residual symptoms such as numbness, tingling, poor balance & lack of lower body endurance. I did try many things, including weekly vitamin b intravenously. But it's subjective if any of those external treatments actually helped the remyelinating process, or if it was just the body healing itself.

I just commenced my first AAS use last week @ 125mg of test e (Taken on Friday's & Tuesday's, so 250mg per week). I will report back to this thread if I have any improvements in nervous system function, or a reduced severity of residual symptoms.

I was a sufferer of Transverse Myelitis just over 8 years ago. Complete loss of sensation & function from the waist down which quickly progressed in the space of 3 hours. With the help of immunoglobulins at the onset and rehabilitation the following months, I was able to walk again, although not confidently. As the years passed, there have always been residual symptoms such as numbness, tingling, poor balance & lack of lower body endurance. I did try many things, including weekly vitamin b intravenously. But it's subjective if any of those external treatments actually helped the remyelinating process, or if it was just the body healing itself.

I just commenced my first AAS use last week @ 125mg of test e (Taken on Friday's & Tuesday's, so 250mg per week). I will report back to this thread if I have any improvements in nervous system function, or a reduced severity of residual symptoms.

Welcome back old friend, keep us informed of your results..

Afternoon GF. Tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full. Not of any urgency though!