Study: Stretching Antagonist Between Sets Increases Reps 20-30%

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Res Sports Med. 2015;23(1):37-50

Acute effects of antagonist static stretching in the inter-set rest period on repetition performance and muscle activation.

Miranda H, Maia Mde F, Paz GA, Costa PB.

In this study they compared two sets of trainees. Both groups waited two minutes between sets:

* The first group simply rested for 2 mins between sets.

* The second group performed a static stretch of the antagonist muscle (in this case the pecs) for 40 seconds of that break (and also before the first set).

Subsequently the electrical activity of the worked lats and biceps (and even non-worked pecs) was significantly elevated in the second group compared to the first. Essentially this means their muscles were contracting better.

And the upshot is that the number of reps performed over 3 sets increased quite significantly:

Group 1: 10, 9, 8.
Group 2: 11, 11, 10.

Within group 2, some saw their reps increase by over 30%.

It would be nice to see a study that extended the number of working sets, and then one that looked at relative GAINZ over time. But don't hold your breath! ;)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25630245

Res Sports Med. 2015;23(1):37-50

Acute effects of antagonist static stretching in the inter-set rest period on repetition performance and muscle activation.

Miranda H, Maia Mde F, Paz GA, Costa PB.

In this study they compared two sets of trainees. Both groups waited two minutes between sets:

* The first group simply rested for 2 mins between sets.

* The second group performed a static stretch of the antagonist muscle (in this case the pecs) for 40 seconds of that break (and also before the first set).

Subsequently the electrical activity of the worked lats and biceps (and even non-worked pecs) was significantly elevated in the second group compared to the first. Essentially this means their muscles were contracting better.

And the upshot is that the number of reps performed over 3 sets increased quite significantly:

Group 1: 10, 9, 8.
Group 2: 11, 11, 10.

Within group 2, some saw their reps increase by over 30%.

It would be nice to see a study that extended the number of working sets, and then one that looked at relative GAINZ over time. But don't hold your breath! ;)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25630245

I remember doing something similar 20 yrs ago, dependent on whether the last set was a push or pull, doing the opposite action as a stretch between sets....

I think stretching the antagonist has been popular off and on for quite a time, and probably happens by accident in various routines too. It's nice to see some straightforward research starting to back it up though.

^^is this maybe why the Golden Era pros would train back and chest on the same days alternating between the two? I would see videos of them hitting bench then go to lat pull downs, etc.

Great posts as always! Thanks!

In the end I've always tried to stick with what feelings are produced. The push-pull methodology never tickled my fancy.