Mental Health Sertraline only worked for less than a week, thoughts?

BlackOrWhite

Greenlighter
My psychiatrist started me out on 25mg of it for depression. Then to 50, 75, and now 100mg daily. When I was on either the 50 or 70mg dose I had 4 days here and there that would make me feel super uplifted and enjoy socializing with my family (Anxiety keeps me from doing this). That was about a month and a half ago, now it doesn't seem to work. I also get a pretty high dose of Invega injections once a month, although I can't remember the measurements of it. These are the only two medications I'm on.

Any thoughts if I should I ask my psychiatrist if I could take a higher dose, or should I ask for something else?

Last edited:
SSRI's generally take atleast 2 weeks and usually longer for people to feel any positive effects from them at all. Are you sure it wasn't hypomania or Mania you felt instead of the anti-depressant effect? Either way definitely tell your doctor about it.

SSRI's generally take atleast 2 weeks and usually longer for people to feel any positive effects from them at all. Are you sure it wasn't hypomania or Mania you felt instead of the anti-depressant effect? Either way definitely tell your doctor about it.

I googled what you said, and I have never heard about those up until now. I don't think that is it because my moods range from just being content to being in negative moods. I don't usually get super excited or anything... But after you mentioned the 2 week period, that is almost exactly how long it took for me to feel good for the first day. They added 25mg either every week or every other week. Yeah it's about 8 days until my appointment with the doctor, so I'll be sure to talk to him about it.

Yeah it can 2-8 weeks for the full effect from what I've heard.

I don't think antidepressants are supposed to make you feel "super uplifted". They're supposed to bring you up to a roughly normal mood, which is called a euthymic mood. If you're getting high from taking antidepressants, which from what I gather may have happened, your doctor aught to know about it as soon as possible. It may be an indication of bipolar disorder. Untreated mania can cause as much damage as untreated depression.

Yeah it can 2-8 weeks for the full effect from what I've heard.

I don't think antidepressants are supposed to make you feel "super uplifted". They're supposed to bring you up to a roughly normal mood, which is called a euthymic mood. If you're getting high from taking antidepressants, which from what I gather may have happened, your doctor aught to know about it as soon as possible. It may be an indication of bipolar disorder. Untreated mania can cause as much damage as untreated depression.

I called and scheduled an early appointment for tomorrow. We'll see how it goes, wish me luck!

good luck.

sertraline 100mg saved my life. I have panic disorder and OCD and major depressive disorder. Basically this medication took about a month to kick in (I was kicking effexor 300mg, lexapro 20mg abilify 10mcg and seroquel due to a psychiatrist that only used the prescription pad and did little along the lines of talking to me) That was a horrible kick...depersonalization. I was too afraid to leave my couch....but once I was stabilized on the sertraline and the benzos (xanax and temazepam) my life has become functional again. I can go outside, I can interact with people without being self concious of my compulsions, I don't have incredibly terrifying nightmares. It is true, the sertraline will only bring you back to a baseline....my baseline before was hypervigilant...it brought me to a place that I wasn't on guard or nervous about impending doom happening.

Let the medicine work. Do you do any other type of therapy? What is your diagnosis?

I take setraline 50mg daily, I was on 100mg at one point but I gut unwanted side affects and dropped back down to 50mg. Been on it for over a year, I would say it has helped, although sometimes I have thought 'are these working?' I also get prescribed beta blockers to take when needed.

I think I might try and wean off them soon, see of I can go it solo for awhile.