• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Do You Believe In Aliens?

The finding of alien algae is disputed.

I think there is life beyond earth. However there is no evidence. I don't know who you referred to with your non-sequitir .

Thread is visible again. Please continue :)

Some form of life has to exist or at least have existed sometime in the past on other planets. There's just been too much time since the big bang and way too many combinations of changing conditions in countless solar systems for Earth to be the only one to have life to spring up. Especially considering the apparent determination of "life," whatever that really is, to proliferate. The inherent drive of even the most basic forms to grow is remarkable. Even just the life on Earth overcame infinite obstacles and improbabilities to exist. And when you think about what it's evolved from; single-celled organisms and what it is now; super complex thinking organisms whose bodies constantly perform countless self-regulatory functions to stay alive, it's completely mind-boggling. And we continue to find forms of life growing in the most unlikely or downright impossible places. Since we know the chemicals and elements that made life possible on Earth exist everywhere else in the Universe, I'm sure life has been putting up just as hard a fight to replicate elsewhere.

But like I said there's been a lot of time between the big bang and now. Enough time for life on Earth to have started from scratch and evolved to where we are now several times over. There have probably been countless instances of life springing up on a planet only to be snuffed out in its infancy. And probably some that evolved further, maybe even beyond us, that are long gone now. Even if there are intelligent civilizations somewhere out there they're probably too far for any contact to occur. The massive size of space and distances of even the galaxies closest to ours are so beyond our knowledge and technology it seems pointless to even speculate about travelling those kinds of distances. The best we've managed to send a human is to the moon. That's like 300,000 miles. The nearest major galaxy is about 6 Trillion times 2.5 million miles away. I have no idea what that number even is. Add the fact that the Universe seems to be expanding faster than the speed of light and making galaxies become further and further away from each other, and the prospects of us ever making contact with life outside of out solar systems becomes pretty slim.

And when you think about what it's evolved from; single-celled organisms and what it is now; super complex thinking organisms whose bodies constantly perform countless self-regulatory functions to stay alive, it's completely mind-boggling.

The simplest forms can be pretty neat looking and complex in their own way. Some protists look like they have hands.
I hope the icy moons have protists in their oceans, I want to watch them.

That got me thinking. What if the universe is filled with non-material life, and some of it looks for compatible planets with the ingredients necessary to organize material life? We know that matter and energy are essentially the same thing, just at differing densities. That would mean, hypothetically, that non-material life is abundant in the universe, and the only confine to taking physical form is finding a place where matter can be appropriately structured.

That's a really interesting idea. I've certainly pondered on the idea of energy-based, non-material life. I've never thought of it as something that would start the process of life though, it's a cool thought. :)

The simplest forms can be pretty neat looking and complex in their own way. Some protists look like they have hands.
I hope the icy moons have protists in their oceans, I want to watch them.

If we don't eventually find microbial life on moons like Titan, I think we'll definitely find at least evidence of some form of life having existed on either a planet or a moon in our solar system. If Tardigrades can do what they do here on Earth, I'm sure something even more adaptable/resilient could have made a go for it in the extreme atmospheres of our nearby planets and moons

Europa (one of Jupiter's moons) seems like a very plausible candidate because it consists of a shell of ice miles thick containing a vast ocean underneath, and they found that the lines crossing it appear to be water escaping through cracks that appears to contain organic materials. It seems like just the kind of place that could potentially support life, particularly since life on Earth started in the ocean. I believe they're planning on sending something there to land and explore.

Yeah, a surface probe. Might find neat things and corpses on the surface, but...
Folks are working on building a robot capable of getting down into the ocean, and then send back data....but it'll be awhile before the tech is ready, prolly decades away. Though it does not have to decades and decades if NASA and Congress can get a bit more ambitious and committed.

Yeah I wish NASA would get funded better too. I mean there are more important things at this point, really big problems we have here on Earth, but we spend most of our money on far less important things right now.

Yeah I wish NASA would get funded better too. I mean there are more important things at this point, really big problems we have here on Earth, but we spend most of our money on far less important things right now.

I never like the more important things argument. While I understand why people say it, they really miss out on the bigger picture. One of these big problems would be education. I doubt most would say otherwise. Here in America, the STEM education is woefully lacking with many actually being proud of their ignorance in math and science. NASA is the one organization that has a history of inspiring and fascinating children about science (most boys at one point want to be an astronaut :) ) and to continuously strip money and programs from it is taking away this hope. I mean they get only 0.6% of the budget which is basically Uncle Sam's pocket change. If the politicians really had any balls, they could find billions of waste in the budgets of the military, medicare, healthcare ans SS. We could eliminate Homeland Security completely. Give this money to NASA (there are others I would give some to as well) and in a generation, we could reverse this trend of science illiteracy and again be the envy of the worlds space agencies.

We are also on the precipice of perhaps a new golden age of space exploration. Just think of the things that have occurred in the recent past or are planned for the near future. We have sent to rover to Mars. We have sent a mission to Pluto and now exploring the Kuiper belt where new dwarf planets and other objects are being discovered quicker than anyone has imagined. We have the ability to orbit and possibly land on comets. A man-made craft has actually left our solar system for the first time in history. The list goes on and on.

And NASA also is a leader in climate science, geophysics, planetary science and propulsion systems. Imagine what we could have already done or may do in the future if we actually put the money and support behind NASA.

My girlfriend, her sister and her best friend saw a flying saucer when they were in high school. She said it was huge and hovered about 50 feet above them before flying away. She has no reason to lie about this. Strangely she doesn't seem very interested in discussing the existence of aliens. However I find the topic very interesting. My dad and some of his friends saw a "light in the sky" over the ocean when they were surfing. He said it would hover in place for a minute then dart across the sky, hover, perform 90 degree turns and other aeronautical maneuvers which are not possible with our current aircraft technology. Again, he is not the type of person to make up something like that...

A few months ago I was driving at night and saw 4 beams of light in the sky that kept maneuvering around and around in the same pattern, like a rhythm. Could not have been an aircraft... Trippy. I felt crazy! Wished someone was with me to confirm what I was seeing. What you said your dad saw reminded me of this, but you said he only saw one. What you described, though, is like exactly how the lights I saw moved.

I believe in aliens , we just cannot see them because the our physical selves are meant to see things in the physical realm unless you have the 6th sense. DDid you ever try astral projecting? This might answer your questions.

I've removed the last couple of posts because it was getting too personal and unrelated to the topic. Let's do our best to keep things civil, please.

I've removed the last couple of posts because it was getting too personal and unrelated to the topic. Let's do our best to keep things civil, please.

Yeah Xorkoth, apologies for that. He actually aggravated the shit out of me I let it get the better of me. I'll go back to ignoring and talking over him :D

Last edited:
Yeah Xorkoth, apologies for that. He actually aggravated the shit out of me I let it get the better of me. I'll go back to ignoring and talking over him :D

how does one talk over another on an internet forum?

I think if intelligent aliens exist they'd probably stay clear of us!

The conditions needed to sustain life have been found in other places, it's very shortsighted to assume our little rock is the only source of sentience in the universe. What makes us any different than any other planet?

Yes, I believe that there are sentient beings who don't call our planet home. I'm not sure that we'd recognize them as such if we met them, though, or necessarily even notice their presence. %)

^Hey MDAO. Nice to see your name again :)