• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Can anyone suggest help and or tips for tapering klonopin

bdomihizayka

Bluelighter
I've been on klonopin for 5 months at 1mg a day. I haven't abused them at all. I want off as they've lost effectiveness and I've successfully beat suboxone and am clean in that department.

Can anyone suggest a taper for me- not too long, but not too short- as I am very sensitive to benzos. Once I took 1mg klonopin for merely 3 weeks and stopped abruptly, only to be thrown into a depresonalized/ dissasociated hell.

I am prescribed them so quantity is no problem.

One more thing- my doctor ISN'T willing to prescribe valium, and I know this is the prefered method of detox.

Any input is welcome.... much love and thanks!

Such a low dose
get drunk for a few days
it hits exact same receptors & cnc
very very similar.
Why ya comin off? Flipping em I suppose
but seriously 1mg a day?
did you just take em for sleep / nightmares

Anyone else?

Please help get me off these bastards! My doctor says I can just cut in half a couple times and be off in a week or two, but I was thinking a month may be better?

I just really don't want to drag it out- but I also don't want to be thrown into a depresonalized hell yet again from going too fast..

I'm in the same boat, I went thru 37 kpins in a week and a half and currently I have 10 left and can't purchase anymore til my lady gets her refill at end of the month. Benzo withdrawals are tough but You are on a light dose, maybe take 1 mg 3 days then drop to .5 for a week or 3 days even. Then .25 for a day or so and if need be, cut that in half. Maybe do some light alcohol use to combat the lack of benzo. I have heard valerian root or passion flower supplements sort of mimic the receptors benzo hit. But really, you are on a Very light dose and you could finish a taper in a week or less if you don't want to do what I suggested at the beginning of this post. Good luck pal, and stay smartsafe

Ya what opiphoroc said is pretty spot on. I'm tapering Valium right now , I wait as long as I possibly can before having too much anxiety and take the smallest dose possible for me dropping from 20+ mgs a day use to waiting 24-48 hours taking 2.5 mgs wait another 12 hours or 6 whatever it is for you and take 2.5 mg again in klonopin dosage I'd say .25 mg is kinda similar to valiums 2.5 mg so take it in those size dosages when tapering until u feel decent enough to wait again

Yeps, it's a bitch but you'll be grateful if you gradually taper. I get too eager and think 3 or 4 mgs along with my sub and some green will put me on cloud 9 but always in the end I barely feel the kpins and the next day I'm kicking myself in the teeth for being overzealous the night before cause I could've saved 1 or 2 for the next day. Do headaches happen with benzo withdrawals or is it just me? I've never been in full blown w/ds from them, but have experienced sweats, agitation, ANXIETY, and depression.

Such a low dose
get drunk for a few days
it hits exact same receptors & cnc
very very similar.
Why ya comin off? Flipping em I suppose
but seriously 1mg a day?
did you just take em for sleep / nightmares

this is a terrible post, dont listen to this guy.

I want to come off in let's say a month- not a few days. I am very sensitive to benzo withdrawal as I was on merely 1mg klonopin for 3 weeks and was a mess coming off cold turkey- mostly derealization, depersonalization, dissasociation- it felt like a horrible LSD trip and I was so scared.

That said, I've been on about 5 months steady with no absuse. So I figured about a month would be a reasonable time to get off of it. So would tapering down to say

.75mg for a week
.5mg for a week
.25 for a week
Then .25 EOD for a week or so

Does this sound acceptable? Too fast?

I don't expect it to be painless- but I don't want to use the Ashton method and stretch out this benzo taper for a year or something obscene like that....

Yeah, I did the alcohol thing when I stopped taking RX klonopin- while it did stop withdrawal it made my tolerance/dependence worse...and alcohol is one of the most harmful drugs if abused IMHO due to liver toxicity, etc.

I would say the best way- dissolve the kpins in propelyne glycol (there will be adulterants from the pill but not a big deal if taken orally) then you can drop your dose in small amounts. Like 10% every 4-6 weeks as in the ashton manual (it would be better to get diazepam, but I am hesitant to recommend this to your doc b/c you want to get off it b/c I have seen docs too often think "this person has a problem!" and cut them off altogether- wait saw you already said your doc won't do it..). You could very possibly go even faster- not too fast but if you feel ok maybe a 10% drop every week. 5 months, while long enough to get a dependence, is not as long as a lot of people out there.

If you can't do the propelyne glycol thing- do you have .5s (2 a day) or 1 mg pills? If they are one mg then breaking them into quarters is probably the best you can do- even then pills aren't always evenly distributed in the sense 1/4 of a 1mg equals .25. But at least you don't have a terrible habit. If they are .5s I'd say take away a quarter of one every so often which is .125 on average. If 1mgs without dissolving them into propylene or ethanol probably a .25mg drop is the best you can do.

I want to come off in let's say a month- not a few days. I am very sensitive to benzo withdrawal as I was on merely 1mg klonopin for 3 weeks and was a mess coming off cold turkey- mostly derealization, depersonalization, dissasociation- it felt like a horrible LSD trip and I was so scared.

That said, I've been on about 5 months steady with no absuse. So I figured about a month would be a reasonable time to get off of it. So would tapering down to say

.75mg for a week
.5mg for a week
.25 for a week
Then .25 EOD for a week or so

Does this sound acceptable? Too fast?

I don't expect it to be painless- but I don't want to use the Ashton method and stretch out this benzo taper for a year or something obscene like that....

This sounds like a good plan but if you're particularly sensitive it might be to fast. You might want to extend each drop by an extra week.

gradually

seroquel for sleep, gabapentin may help rebuid receptors, phenibut for generalized anxiety

This sounds like a good plan but if you're particularly sensitive it might be to fast. You might want to extend each drop by an extra week.

I have gabapentin on hand and will experiment with using it gradually and seldom. Thanks for the affirmations and everything, it means alot...and yea taking it an extra week with each drop may not be a bad idea and won't extend the whole process way too long like the Ashton method.

Thanks again!

I've been there before (benzo w/d) the most important thing is to do the taper very (very) slow. Take away .25 every second week. I know people who are using a nail-file, to get rid of some of the pill because .25 is too much for them to be taken away. But they are took a lot more than you do.

Always keep that in my mind that it doesn't matter if you battle with benzos for 2-3 months if you win.

A shrink can also be so helpful (one who deals with addicts, even better) because during a benzo w/d overwhelming emotions is the first thing to come (at least to me) it can be really helpful to talk to somebody about them.

Alcohol makes wd symptoms even worse. Personal experience.

Anyone else?

Please help get me off these bastards! My doctor says I can just cut in half a couple times and be off in a week or two, but I was thinking a month may be better?

I just really don't want to drag it out- but I also don't want to be thrown into a depresonalized hell yet again from going too fast..

Try to decrease it systematically until you are ready to jump to zero. If you've beaten suboxone this will be totally doable IMO.