View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tripless DMT

Dopolis

Greenlighter
Im posting for a friend here, so lets label him larry for now.

Larry has been looking forward to his first DMT trip since he found out about the spice years ago.

Larry has experience with cannabis, shrooms, yopo snuff, datura... He had been effected by all substance in the predicted manner.

Larry is also on 20mg escitalopram SSRI meds. Apparently he has a low serotonin production level, these help keep more serotonin available to the receptors by 'inhibiting their uptake'.

Anyway, larrys been freaking out about his first abd second try at the spice.

Fist attempt was 0.02g sandwiched between herb and lightly roasted. 1 hit, light body tingling and a 'zoomed out' feeling. Back to baseline in 5min.

Secong attempt larry tries a glass bulb, 0.04g heated and let built smoke for a while. 1 hit.... larry reports nothing. Not a flinch...
Larry seems like a healthy dude, he is fit, active and smart.... anyone have any ideas or answers??

I'm moving this to psychedelic drugs. BTW, we all know you are "Larry", and writing about drug use in the third person this way is not allowed here.

I have never used DMT but it seems as though you are smoking or vaporizing too little of it, or developed a bit of a tolerance to it since you smoked/vaped it again; but it's good to know that you are not having a bad reaction to it, or it's not interacting with your SSRI.

Last edited:
"Larry's" SSRI may not be Interacting Negatively with the DMT - but I'd wager $$$$ that the SSRI is blocking a good sized chunk of the activity that goes on. 40mgs of Properly Vaped DMT should have Larry in damn near Outer Space - 10-20mgs gives me OEV and CEV.

I love to post this fact on drug boards, because so many people are willing to try SSRI's and SNRI's due to the way Doctors push that Class of Anti-Depressants on Newer Patients, or when you first go in for treatment of Depression. They do this partially because of the Kickback $$$ they make off the Uninformed Patients they see. This is the fact I like to recite.........Please read the little article below about how drugs are Approved by the FDA, especially SSRI's......

http://www.srmhp.org/0201/media-watch.html

No SSRI has ever beat a Placebo in extensive Double Blind Testing - not even better than a 50/50 split - but the Drug Companies choose to Manipulate the Data they have so it skews towards their Newest Anti-Depressant that is about to hit the Market, with TV Ads, and Millions of $$$ Already Invested in the Research and Development stage. They REFUSE to let a Drug be a Loser, EVEN if it has NO PROVEN THERAPEUTIC VALUE, so they make sure they can sell it anyways. Your Doctor is not always there to help, sometimes they just make you run a maze of different drugs, until you feel so fucked up - you don't remember how Depressed you were, because of how fucked up You feel after giving them their 30-60 Day "Window" to work.

My Psychiatrist made me try 5 Different SSRI's, an SNRI, and Bi-Polar, and Anti-Psychotic Meds, before He would give me what I needed all along....................fucking Benzodiazepines. Now I'm good, and the sad fact is - I tried to guide that Doctor the whole time because I already knew what my Issue was from Personal Research, and my own at home trials. Doctors are fucked up - Money Corrupts..........what else can be said.

I told that story so maybe your friend "Larry" will rethink what his Doctor is Telling Him He Needs,............Instead of GIVING him what he may need, which may be NOTHING AT ALL - or something completely different. That link is Legit, check it out. - Meowfish

Many people report being unable to trip while on SSRI's, so it's best avoided. To be honest, if you have a condition that requires SSRI's, it's probably not the best idea to take psychedelics anyway.

Yeah SSRI meds are a deep topic to discuss. I appreciate the links to further research.

I had hoped the SSRI wouldn't inhibit too much action, but i guess its a lot targeting one group of receptors.

Its a shame the withdrawal process is so painful.

Many people report being unable to trip while on SSRI's, so it's best avoided. To be honest, if you have a condition that requires SSRI's, it's probably not the best idea to take psychedelics anyway.

I would completely disagree here. I would go so far as to say that microdosing is a better alternative to SSRI's for those with depression issues. Also, it doesn't take much for a doctor to give you a script of SSRI's. they just want money from insurance. they throw SSRI's out like free coupons.

Also, it doesn't take much for a doctor to give you a script of SSRI's. They just want money from insurance. they throw SSRI's out like free coupons.

Yeah SSRI meds are a deep topic to discuss. I appreciate the links to further research.

I had hoped the SSRI wouldn't inhibit too much action, but i guess its a lot targeting one group of receptors.

Its a shame the withdrawal process is so painful.

Dopolis - After seeing your response to my previous posting for you - You should understand, I have a very slanted opinion on SSRI's and SNRI's for quite a few personal reasons, as well as the fact that for a drug that has the potential to absolutely nothing for you, shouldn't take 30-60 days of using it, where the trial period for the compound is basically making you physically dependent on it - whether the drug is right for you or not. SSRI's hurt ME - but maybe they do help "Larry", which if that's you, just say so. BL is here to help you make decisions for Yourself by providing you the Tools, Resources, and Information that not everyone wants to hear or may be scared to hear.

Sometimes I forget how far down the Rabbithole I personally am with Tripping, and maybe shouldn't make such a polarizing comment that could result in someone that I know nothing about, considering doing something that may actually be Benefiting THEM. SSRI's just fucked me up - and to top that off, I fucking LOVE to Trip, although I am quite picky about the sorts of trips I take these days. I think that I've actually tripped so much that I actually can barely tell the difference in reality, and what's in my head sometimes. I probably SHOULD be prescribed some form of Anti-Depressant, but I love to Trip SO MUCH that I CHOOSE to not take any form of Medication that would ever take away what I consider the Honor of Exploring the Inner Working of our Brain. That doesn't mean what I'm doing is a bright idea...............It's just the path that I've chosen to walk, and I'm enjoying it more than the others, even if I know that at some point - I'll probably get to where I'm so Agoraphobic that I can barely leave the house.

Tripping can make you see the brighter side of life, the good in people and the world we live, help you work out personal issues or relationship issues, find your own spirituality.....etc - but one of the first things that I realized while tripping is that life is not as straightforward as we think, Extremes can be equally bad, whether they're Positive or Negative Behaviors. While some trips showed me the Beauty there is in Humanity - I've also had frequent trips that have shown me how DARK our race can be. Even experienced Psychonauts lose their shit sometimes, misjudge a dose or their tolerance - or are too excited and go too far too fast. This was me, and still is in some ways. IF You choose to Trip - take your time with it, save it for special occasions, share your times with friends and loved ones if possible - Savor and Appreciate the compounds that we have available to us, and the people that you spend time with while doing them.

I lost my group of friends about 6 years ago now - and I made the Conscious Choice to make Tripping my Personal Safe Space, my happy place some would call it, in large part because I no longer trust other Humans in Person, and barely over the Phone or a Computer. I've gone so deep within my own mind, subconscious, pineal gland - whatever you choose to call it - That my 3rd Eye is always open now. In a lot of ways - what I may have once called a happy place has become a prison of my own making in many ways. As soon as I close my eyes, it's back into space - as soon as I take a drag off a spliff, sometimes I start getting full blown OEV's - but the CEV's, they don't go away anymore. When I try to sleep, I shut my eyelids and can feel my eyes start darting around, the visuals start to come back almost instantly, random faces, colors, a swirling vortex into nothingness. Tell "Larry" to be careful what he wishes for. It's not always what you expect - and in a trip, you are not the one in control, maybe a little bit with some benzodiazepines around, but some compounds are so powerful they will shake you the core if you aren't careful.

I made this post because your reply to what I said scared me - you may have actually considered trying to quit taking SSRI's. I forget how powerful knowledge can be, and spread knowledge to someone that I know absolutely nothing about. I got to choose my path, even tho it may sound a bit fucked - I was fucked in the head before I ever started tripping, I just didn't know it UNTIL I started tripping a lot. Tell "Larry" to be Safe above all else, and to do what's right for him. There is a lot of negative information, and a lot of people have bad experiences on SSRI's - but it's not my place to even suggest that's something you may want to reconsider. Know Yourself - above all else, that's what tripping is about in so many ways, and if "Larry" is happy and reasonably content with his life right now - He may want to save that DMT Journey for another time and place.

Psychedelics are not the answer in any way, they just help you find the right questions to ask and give some relief from the fucked up world we live in. My Apologies for being so opinionated about something that has nothing to do with me personally. Enjoy your life, and tell Larry to as well. Peace - Meowfish

CrypticArc said what I was trying to say way better and in ONE SENTENCE - just be careful, Doctors make a LOT of Money off of throwing SSRI's and SNRI's at people. If a Doctor gave you "Free Samples", chances are, he's getting paid, and may not have YOUR best interests at heart. Inform Yourself. Bluelight is the best place on the Internet to do so. At least you made it here.

Yet lots of people take SSRIs or even SSNRIs and trip perfectly fine on them. But I agree with your second sentence how if you have a condition that requires SSRIs or SSNRIs that it's not good to take psychedelics.

Yet lots of people take SSRIs or even SSNRIs and trip perfectly fine on them. But I agree with your second sentence how if you have a condition that requires SSRIs or SSNRIs that it's not good to take psychedelics.

I was given script after script after script of SSRI's, SNRI's and whatever else you can think of for my depression and anxiety issues. Never once had anything helped me even a little bit, and some of the medications came with awful side effects; i continue to have tremors even today, ever since taking lexapro and zoloft. Some of the meds gave me migraines. Others made my teeth chatter. One of them even put me into a delirious stupor during which I asked my friend "What time is it?" 10 times over the course of an hour.

I had been attempting suicide for six years at that point. I was one of the most depressed and anxious people at the mental hospital every time I would visit. My anxiety is still here to an extent, but you know what completely cured my depression? Refusing to go to the doctor, and taking psychedelics.

Disclaimer, I advise others against this in all other cases unless you plan on killing yourself anyway. In my case it was truly a last resort, I had absolutely no will to live. In any case, I've stated my story to prove a point, not as an example to follow.

Last edited:
In a lot of ways - what I may have once called a happy place has become a prison of my own making in many ways. As soon as I close my eyes, it's back into space - as soon as I take a drag off a spliff, sometimes I start getting full blown OEV's - but the CEV's, they don't go away anymore. When I try to sleep, I shut my eyelids and can feel my eyes start darting around, the visuals start to come back almost instantly, random faces, colors, a swirling vortex into nothingness. Tell "Larry" to be careful what he wishes for. It's not always what you expect - and in a trip, you are not the one in control, maybe a little bit with some benzodiazepines around, but some compounds are so powerful they will shake you the core if you aren't careful.

Have you tried lion's mane mushroom?

I would completely disagree here. I would go so far as to say that microdosing is a better alternative to SSRI's for those with depression issues. Also, it doesn't take much for a doctor to give you a script of SSRI's. they just want money from insurance. they throw SSRI's out like free coupons.
With SSRIs or SSNRIs they're at a controlled dosage so you know how much you are taking, or are prescribed.

With microdosing unless you made the psychedelic drug, can accurately measure it in micrograms, etc. it's just a guess as to how much you're taking, and microdosing as a long or even short term solution to depression, anxiety, or other mental illnesses is not a good idea.

it's just a guess as to how much you're taking, and microdosing as a long or even short term solution to depression, anxiety, or other mental illnesses is not a good idea.
and antidepressants are better how? don't get me wrong, I don't condemn these medications, but first of all we need better medicine, with less side effects and no withdrawal. when I still was on an antidepressant (Trazodone) i was never 100% sure that it helped, and missing a dose meant horrible anxiety next day, if I didn't remember that I missed it. I took it for almost three years, but now I'm glad I'm over it, but it took me a year of tapering.

mushroom microdosing, if approached sensible, seems to be very promising for many people, and can be done without a lot of harm. people also drink st johns wort tea for depression, and they also don't knwo exactly how much active compound they're ingesting, but if it helps, what's the harm?

I read a lot about microdosing, and I believe this is the way to go in exploring new strategies for fighting depression.

It is true that depression & other mental illnesses are poorly understood, that current medications are woefully inadequate to treat them, and that many psychedelic drugs have offered extremely promising results when studied as potential treatments. I truly believe that the liberalization of drug policies and the resumption of psychedelic science will lead to a mental health revolution in my lifetime.

As things are now, though, I don't think self-medicating with powerful drugs is a wise choice or good HR. Certainly the current state of psychiatric medicine has failed a lot of people, and many of them have stumbled across a self-medication regimen that has worked miracles. There is no disputing that. However, this does not mean that the same will be true for everyone. There is a serious risk of harm in taking powerful, illegal mind-altering drugs while mentally ill, and there are also many who have made themselves worse by doing so.

I was given script after script after script of SSRI's, SNRI's and whatever else you can think of for my depression and anxiety issues. Never once had anything helped me even a little bit, and some of the medications came with awful side effects; i continue to have tremors even today, ever since taking lexapro and zoloft. Some of the meds gave me migraines. Others made my teeth chatter. One of them even put me into a delirious stupor during which I asked my friend "What time is it?" 10 times over the course of an hour.

I had been attempting suicide for six years at that point. I was one of the most depressed and anxious people at the mental hospital every time I would visit. My anxiety is still here to an extent, but you know what completely cured my depression? Refusing to go to the doctor, and taking psychedelics.

Disclaimer, I advise others against this in all other cases unless you plan on killing yourself anyway. In my case it was truly a last resort, I had absolutely no will to live. In any case, I've stated my story to prove a point, not as an example to follow.

Goddamn, no wonder you Understand CrypticArc - It was first Lexapro that fucked me up BAD, started making my Anxiety and full blown Panic Attacks daily instead of weekly, could barely get my dick hard to fuck my GF / Fiance at the time, and I ended up trying to take my life BECAUSE of the withdrawals combined with how it fucked up my brain chemistry. Then Came Zoloft...........Then Prozac........Then Wellbutrin..........Effexor.........Vistaril............Then FINALLY .5mg Alprazolam, then finally 1mg Alprazolam - then they added 20mgs of Diazepam for Half Life and General Anxiety, with the Alprazolam for full blown Panic Attacks. Doctors fucked my life up - and I had to PAY THEM CASH MONEY for them to HURT ME. Fuck Big Pharma.

I made the same decision after trying to take my life 5+ times in multiple ways due to the pain I was in from what other people had done to me and taken from me. I made the same decision to refuse any medication like an SSRI or SNRI for the rest of my life - and decided MY Meds were now LSD, DXM, Ketamine, and then MXE. The only drugs I wish I never tried were Opiates in General - Cocaine of any form - Methamphetamines. Even bad Trips on Psychedelics still have a purpose of teaching or showing you SOMETHING about yourself. I'll never stop taking Psychedelics, even if they lead me to the Psych Ward one day. I'm OK with that. All medicines have an Upside and a Downside. The only difference by Definition between a Medicine and a Poison is whether the Benefits outweigh what the Negatives are.........They can all fuck your world up if overused. The hardest thing in life to find is Balance, but it's one of the best kept secrets.

Today's Psychiatrist literally use you like a guinea pig until they find something that kind of works - the only way you actually get something that may help is to jump through their hoops which is fucking awful. I knew I needed Benzo's more than anything, and I like that they worked, and then went away - no 30+ day guessing. That's just fucked up. The Z-Drugs are a fucking joke to me as well, trying to make a "Non Intoxicating" Benzo..........Part of the issues with finding better Psychiatric Meds is understanding what the fuck is wrong and understanding the Brain better - but it's hard to do that when the Ideology of the Chemists of Big Pharma is - we need to make drugs that fix the problem, but they can't the person intoxicated or make you feel good in any way. That's fucking so stupid. Benzo's are even getting harder to get because they're treating THEM like they're some form of Hard Drug where I live. I fucking hate this is the way we function as Humans - trying to act like we aren't Allowed or Supposed to Enjoy different altered states of Consciousness. To me, 90% of the most effective anti-depressants do give you a little buzz - but that's also what helps them actually work to a large extent. I swear these problems are caused by Greed, and that old, out of date Puritan View that getting "High" instead of "Drunk" is wrong in some way. Fucking Stupid. There are a LOT of Americans that need to wake the FUCK UP and step into the 21st Century for real!!!

I hate hard drugs and how selfish they make people. It makes me sick. That's another story tho. I've never tried Lion's Mane Mushrooms before CrypticArc - I'll start researching. May help and sounds Natural. Thank You. - Meowfish

Last edited:
The SSRI wouldn't effect him unless he was taking like serian rue with the spice. His smoking technique isn't right. First off vaping out of a bubble is SUPER hard. I feel like I am a very experience DMT user and I could never get a hit off the oil pipes. If you are smoking it between some herb you need to load that shit up and hit it at least 3 times. If he put a little more in the pipe with some herb took hit 1 hold it for like 8-10 secs hit 2 again hold it in for 8-10 seconds hit 3 just hold it in as long as he can and he really should blast off no problem

Most people have the best success Vaping DMT via an Oil Burner - You just have to be nice and gentle with the Lighter and not put it too close, You want the Heat more than the Flame, it also Conserves Material WAY better than putting it melted into a bowl of Cannabis.

SSRI's effect everyone different. They work different in each person - I had a friend who was on Effexor, although that's an SNRI, but still...........He was an Opiate Addict at the time, and he could Smoke Heroin and get High, but he loved Perk 30's prior to starting the Effexor more than the H - but once he started taking Effexor, the Perk 30's would no longer get him High AT ALL, but smoking Heroin would.

Just saying - this class of Drugs are Under Researched, and Over Prescribed. Just be aware that anything could happen. I smoked weed for the first time the first day I took Zoloft, only hours later, I lit a Blunt and had the WORST Panic Attack I've ever had. At this time I was smoking 3+ Grams of Nuggets daily............I never had a Panic Attack before I took that Zoloft. Just be Safe and know how all over the place this Category of Medication can be. Peace - Meowfish

I tripped on DMT when I was on Zoloft (an SSRI) and had no problem but I was not attempting to breakthrough. Every person I know that hasn't been able to breakthrough just needs fatter rips and to hold it in as long as possible. Also using something like a dab rig or meth pipe is really good and will definitely make you breakthrough quickly

Ok. Firstly, thank you everyone who has responded to this thread.
I feel as though my SSRI meds, escitalopram 20mg are blocking my receptors entirely.

I have attemped the following
-10mg layered in a bong
-20mg meth pipe
-40mg bottle with alfoil base

The bottle method was a bit harder to get smoking properly, the bottle had a haze throughout, not a thick smoke. I figured if i was hitting it improperly in every method prior, this is the fallback.

Heat foil prior to attempt. Set up and load rig. Heat slowly with a candle pooling. Once smoke starts forming remove heat further and keep steady heat. Waited till smoking ceased and hit all at once. Held for 10-15 sec. Released. Mild feeling of weightlessness. No OEV or CEV.

Following day attempt 80mg in bottle method. Nothing.

Im booked in to the phych. Come january. Gunna start working towards getting off these SSRI properly. Screw not having control over my mind body and soul.