Sobriety with Unlimited Access to drugs/ Severe Addiction

ayudame

Greenlighter
Hi bluelight, This is my very first post. First I want to thank you all for the invaluable insight you've provided me during my years as a bluelight lurker. Now I find myself in what feels like a perfect drug-storm nightmare, and need your advice. My significant other is heavily addicted to injecting opiates. At one point he injected about 30 mg of Dilaudid per day, and who knows how much Fentanyl. I don't want to spell out what he does as a profession, but he has unlimited, CHEAP access to Dilaudid, Fentanyl, Alfentanyl, Demerol....you get the picture. There is virtually no chance of him getting caught while diverting these drugs, they are 100% clean, and he has unlimited access to sterile syringes, needles, etc. So thus eliminates some of the obstacles to his addiction. My question, and even as I write it I know the answer, is whether or not it is possible for anyone to get clean when their profession revolves around the substances they are addicted to. Any former nurses, doctors, EMT's who can weigh in? I just don't know how to help him. He studied and trained for so many years to get where he is, and this will destroy it. I am also not sure who else to talk to without getting him in trouble. I really appreciate any help, as I feel like I am drowning. Not sure of its relevance, but I also have a history of partying pretty hard, and feel guilty that perhaps this made him feel it was okay to go down this road. thanks so much.

Hi auydame, yes I am retired RN worked 30 years in medicine, no regrets. Each state has a voluntary monitoring program. I went through it twice, but the person them self needs to want to stop. I stayed clean for my license but always used after the fact, wasn't ready to stop. I hope your friend recognizes this on own before it is too late, or is reported by someone, cause that doesn't feel so great, take it from someone who has been there.

For one thing.... he is a big boy and makes his own choices. Regardless of your past he made his own choices. I followed someone down a bad road, he's dead now, but have never once blamed him for my choices. We all need to own our own bullshit and all have a choice as to which road we walk down. So don't blame yourself. I dont understand how he has unlimited access to all of this stuff. No one keeps track of inventory? No one is accountable to be able to explain where all the product has gone to? Seems like someone would eventually be asking questions as to why some much is missing. I would think it would be hard to stop when there's no consequences and its right in front if your face. Hard enough when its not!

Thank you both. Both of your responses make me feel better, just knowing there are others out there listening. @bono-- thank you for sharing your experience. I need to do more research into the monitoring program in my state and what it means for his particular position and license. @my3sons--thank you also for your advice. I know that you are correct, but it is indeed hard to accept. And you are right in that on some level the narcotics are monitored--but, it is quite easy for him to skirt around these records. He is the highest level of medical professional with access to these drugs, if that helps. I know there is no complete answer, I just appreciate you both talking to me.

You are very welcome. I hope it doesn't come to that for him but on the other end of spectrum it may save his life. I want sobriety now for myself no one else but, before it was always an intervention, I just didn't get it. The state monitoring program (phmp) professional help monitoring program was voluntary but their are involuntary ones also, best of luck bono

thank you, bono. This helps me in trying to figure out the next step. He does want to quit. I am just afraid admitting to any authorities will destroy his career, and therefore sense of self-worth and purpose.

It doesn't go to the authorities if he isn't reported. He would be better off taking time off going to detox or whatever unless his job catches him and reports him then it becomes voluntary or involuntary, but hopefully it won't come to that. Once I coded or od'd, and was given second chance thru monitoring, the second time I was f up almost od again and was placed in program voluntary no record. I retired in 2006 because I decided I had had enough and didn't want to take a chance and hurt someone, other than myself. I could write abook!

ATM I can go to doctors, because my health insurance won't give my a card - with is illegal. But next week I must go to the judge - because the want a huge amount of money. But this is another story...

... back on your problem. With his knowledge and access - even with good health insurance - I would say - taper down.
He should stock the medicine a little bit. That the taper process could not interrupted (If something unexpected happens.) . But the medicine must be locked away. And he must understand that he does not know where. I would even not hide it in the house. May be he will find it anyway.

I was addicted to opiates to. Tramadol, Morphine and Fentanyl. But I never injected it. Only one time Tramadol (IM), when I had a big accident. 5min later I passed out...

... Opiates, good for pain relief but on my list they are the thrid place of bad drugs.
First place alcohol. Second benzos and third opiates in a line with meth/crack.

NUFF SAID.

May be he could switch to Kratom. If he could buy MXE somewhere I would give it a try too. Because it works as pain relief and triggers the opiate receptors in his brain.

But if it comes out. He will be fucked. Loosing job and may be jail. I do not know the laws in your country. But "stealing" is always prohibited. Sad thing is that scientist can not understand that addiction is not a habit it is a disease.

Hope the best - for both of you

Addiction is hell on earth and hell is still on earth - without withdrawals. Both together is highly dangerous.
What will happen with all the addicts when the substance is not available - nature disaster, war?

As Paracelsus said: Nothing is toxic the amount taking is making things toxic.

But I am writing to much...

Thank you both so much. I think my biggest issue has been wanting to get him help, but not being able to for fear of legal ramifications. @LifeisStrange---it's crazy you said to lock the meds away, AWAY from the house, because I've already learned my lesson on that front. All the meds were in a safe which I held to key to. Once I messed up and went to the gym, leaving the keys in an obvious place. And you can guess what happened. Oddly enough, I was addicted to Tramadol for about two years and found tapering to be effective. But how do you make someone else taper, when you you know that they have access outside of your home?