View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Datura: local history

Peacephrog1972

Bluelighter
I figure it would be a good idea to give some insight in this insidious plant so people can come to have good solid info about why or why not to use this plant.

In my area (Illinois)it is known as thorn apple and jimpson weed. It grows wild in soybean fields, but it also grown in people's yards as some folk use it as an ornamental plant because it has pretty flowers!

I have talked to a couple of dozen locals who have consumed the plant.
Everyone I know who consumed it ended up in jail, the hospital or both.

Not one person i have talked to that has consumed it would eat it again, and some of these people proclaim that they have never been the same since consuming the plant. It seems to be a life altering event.

Most people who consumed it did so as a teenager looking to trip, and most everyone got more than they bargained for.

That's my 2cents from Illinois.

Datura sounds awful and I have no idea why anyone who knows anything about it would have a desire to consume it. Just read some trip reports on Erowid, sounds like hell. Scary hallucinations and an inability to piss despite feeling the need to seem to be two recurring themes in reports.

Not to mention that it is toxic, and can be fatal.

It blows my mind that people want to try this. Literally every trip report is a nightmare. Not being able to know what's real sounds like a recipe for disaster.

However, I will admit that datura trip reports are some of the more fascinating reports out there, things like this, especially the chewbacca bit at the end, is incredible.

Datura trip reports are very interesting, and sometimes I just can't stop reading them. Although I get a pretty uncomfortable vibe just from reading them.

Imagine eating 600 mg of benadryl, every 8 hours, for 36 - 48 consecutive hours on end.

Kind of like a similar experience, except vastly more potent, and uncontrollable.

LSD, DMT, etc don't prepare you for the effect this has on you. Deliriants are not to be trifled with at all. It produces true hallucinations, in the sense that you can't tell what's real and what isn't anymore, and no matter how absurd things get you somehow don't notice whats happening.

It will not make you trip. It will push your shit in so deep you spend a long time crawling out of. Nobody just does it and says yeah, I did it. There are those that survive the effects and those who don't. Don't think about it for a minute. You think you know drugs? Datura, atropine, hyscosamine and scopolamine are not things you ever want inside of you.

Some of these alkaloids in Datura can be used to stop and reverse the effects of organophosphate nerve agent poisoning, but make no mistake, it will do you in. You have no calibrated tried and true dosage that can be assumed as safe.

I can only dissuade you from trying this. You do what you want to. Go shoot some dope, rip a blunt, pop some pills, eat a handful of mushrooms, drop some rolls, chew some tabs. But stay the fuck clear from this plant.

It always sounds fascinating - some do get some good effects from deliriants including shaman but it isn't for the faint hearted or casual drug user. Compounding factors are people don't set up good enviroments where they can be sat well and dosage is a dicey issue with plants like these. Fascinated but doubtful I'll ever try it

Datura trip reports are very interesting, and sometimes I just can't stop reading them. Although I get a pretty uncomfortable vibe just from reading them.

Sounds like a voyage I would like to take 1 day under the right conditions

Nightmare difficulty trip, I wonder if there is anyone out there who enjoyed it.

Imagine eating 600 mg of benadryl, every 8 hours, for 36 - 48 consecutive hours on end.

Kind of like a similar experience, except vastly more potent, and uncontrollable.

LSD, DMT, etc don't prepare you for the effect this has on you. Deliriants are not to be trifled with at all. It produces true hallucinations, in the sense that you can't tell what's real and what isn't anymore, and no matter how absurd things get you somehow don't notice whats happening.

It will not make you trip. It will push your shit in so deep you spend a long time crawling out of. Nobody just does it and says yeah, I did it. There are those that survive the effects and those who don't. Don't think about it for a minute. You think you know drugs? Datura, atropine, hyscosamine and scopolamine are not things you ever want inside of you.

Some of these alkaloids in Datura can be used to stop and reverse the effects of organophosphate nerve agent poisoning, but make no mistake, it will do you in. You have no calibrated tried and true dosage that can be assumed as safe.

I can only dissuade you from trying this. You do what you want to. Go shoot some dope, rip a blunt, pop some pills, eat a handful of mushrooms, drop some rolls, chew some tabs. But stay the fuck clear from this plant.

Well said !!!

We found a plant in my friends yard. Ended up with like 800 seeds off it. I ate 10 and saw bugs crawling everywhere. Friend of mine ate 100 and was in absolute delirium for 2 days solid. Also smoking the leaves and flowers gets you high too, it was very similar to the synthetic weed that was available at the time.

sounds like something fun to play around with and include some friends who would gain something from it lol

It does not sound fun in any way at all and I would be scared if I even saw someone touching it. Jesus man. I like psychedelics too but shit, fuck that.

There is always those who will do it regardless. Just be informed that veteran drug users advise you to stay the hell clear, maybe give it a thought.

I've taken plenty of weird shit in my lifetime, but after being poisoned by a belladonna plant as a kid I can honestly say that you don't want to deal with deliriants. I had night terrors and the worst case of recurring hallucinations when sleeping as a kid that I directly attribute to this mistaken eating of what I thought to be yummy berries at the time.

I wanderd off the playground because there were monsters there. Ended up halfway across town at the age of 7, salivating and drooling all over. Someone found me, called an ambulance and my mother found me. I went into a deep state of uncomfortable delirium and was on a ventilator for the better part of three days. As a kid. Sometimes I still shudder at the thought of how it all happened. I could have been dead.

As the age of 24 I ate some benadryl, and it took me right back, crazy confused madness. I decided to not ever take another deliriant. I am even weary of dissociatives, even though they sot right with me, there's that thought of being just a thin layer away from that delirium.

Nowadays, when I see people talk about these things I just leave a warning, I can't change peoples minds. It seriously fucked my shit up tbqhwy fam. You want to mentally torment and torture your psyche, do whatever man. But don't think that all drugs are like this, there's good ones and bad ones. And I'm not talking about preferences here. Those that can be safely enjoyed and pose no physical threat to you if enjoyed in moderation, and those where one use can leave you dead or in a permanent stage of fray. Datura is not a good drug. Yes. It has a history. But do you think you have the credentials of a shaman that practised this black art for generations, and can accurately select the right parts of plants, during the right stages of growing,and do you know how to prepare it and make offerings to the spiritual realm to guide you back to safety? I don't think so.

I'm on the east coast of the United States. Growing up I heard it called loco weed, Jamestown weed, devil's plant/devil's trumpet, Toloache, and everyone knew not to take it or consume any part of the plant.

Here it grows on the side of the road, and in fields. I guess some people do grow it as an ornamental plant but I have yet to ever see it in anyone's garden.

When I lived in the Southwest it grew in the high desert and mountains, and more people there than here on the East coast used it as an ornamental garden plant but knew not to take it or consume any part of it.

A man one of my parents used to work with would take it, he would apparently act crazy while on it, and tell people what happened after he was no longer on it.

A guy I knew in college told me how he had wanted to take it but how he ate the wrong plant by accident, and he suffered a toxic reaction to the plant he ate which was not Dautra and he felt like he had a fever, and became nauseous but he did not go to the hospital or seek medical advice since he took the plant in secret and did not want his parents to know he was using drugs; but this guy loved disassocative drugs and high doses of DXM, K, and PCP.

I know people who have taken tree Datura or brugmansia that was mixed with Ayahuasca/Yage; but they took it in a religious ceremony in the Amazon rainforest in countries where it is perfectly legal to do this. They all said how it was an excellent teacher but how the experience was one that was not to be taken lightly and that you should not abuse this plant; but they had a shaman/guide there with them to help them in case they were afraid or suffered a bad reaction from the Ayahuasca and Datura.

Last edited:
Datura sounds awful and I have no idea why anyone who knows anything about it would have a desire to consume it.

Actually, it doesn't sound that bad in low doses, and you can know your dose if you use isolated scopolamine.

I know people who have taken tree Datura or brugmansia that was mixed with Ayahuasca/Yage; but they took it in a religious ceremony in the Amazon rainforest in countries where it is perfectly legal to do this. They all said how it was an excellent teacher but how the experience was one that was not to be taken lightly and that you should not abuse this plant; but they had a shaman/guide there with them to help them in case they were afraid or suffered a bad reaction from the Ayahuasca and Datura.

Would love to hear elaboration on that.

I've actually eaten a little datura this year, just a seed or two (literally, 1 or 2, no more) here and there. At that level, it's mild and relaxing.

Last edited:
Is it not a delirent? like the stuff in sea sea sickness tablets? maybe I'm the only person the world that enjoys that kind of thing... you guys are making me smile with your comments about it's effects... iv never read a book in my life or discovered the intermet