• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Compulsive lying

Howelltavon

Greenlighter
I want to know if anyone else here suffers from the addiction of lying and if so what helped you with this issue

No I personally do not; but I have known people who have. Therapy helped the one guy. I am moving this to the dark side.

I giggled.

I work with a compulsive liar. I think he gets so caught up in his lies he actually thinks they are real. They are ridiculous lies too, just pointless, can't see any gain he gets from it. And we all see right through it, and I think he has no idea that we do. Does this happen to you?

I've met one compulsive liar and it was really bizarre-if he said he was going to the store, he was lying. If he said the screen door was open, he was lying. If he said it was 7:00, he was lying. He was a friend of my spouse's for years-everytime he'd call to catch up, we'd try to figure out how much was true-did he really have three kids? Was he working? At least with caller ID, we knew the phone number was right!

Junkie lying is something else.

Lying is a complicated process for the brain. Because to make the lies such in a case that the do not collide with other lies the brain creates his own world where all the lies are stick together. Otherwise the liar will get caught after a while. I think the person will develop by time a bipolar character in my eyes. Cure? A bunch of mushrooms? I do not know. Because you must face the person with a reality where he can not escape. Because the fight must be in his head/subconscious.

If a doc is telling with that person. He can block, but you can not block the power of hallucinogens.

But this is only a guess.

Greetings
LeifIsStrange

Last edited:
I have been on the end of being compulsively lied to....of course, at first, you don't realize it. Then when you realize, you aren't sure of one damn thing your friend saying...it's time to make a decision. I opted to call him out, and couldn't continue the friendship.

My friend mustve not realized he often told me about the strategies he used to lie to others-and that's how I knew he was using them on me! It was difficult because it was a friend in a group of my friends. My other friends hadn't caught onto his lying yet. It caused a lot of negativity amongst all of us. Now they see it.

Can the person stop? I'm sure it's possible...but they have to want to. I haven't had contact w my compulsive friend in a few years. There was a lot of ego going on with him. I doubt he's changed. If he did, I'm sure he would've contacted me by now. Prior to me realizing he lied about everything, we were good friends. If that makes any damn sense.

I work with kids and see this often. It almost always has to do with self-esteem. Work on ways to raise your self-esteem (it's not magic; basically it is a healthy balance of self acceptance and accomplishment). I think it is great that you want to change it.<3

If you lie compulsively, it's probably because either you've been around too much of it or at some point you felt you needed to do it to survive (e.g. abusive parents, like me). The only way to stop is to be in a situation where you don't need to do it, and well, lying is common modern day life. Take my life, for example -- the whole thing is a lie. Every inch of it. I haven't gotten a straight answer from my family or basically anyone about anything serious in years. I stopped lying early because my conscience decided it was going to try and be perfect at any cost and I regret that now -- I'm too honest for my own good -- and you might want to reconsider whether or not you're in a safe enough place to begin being honest before you make that leap.

in high school a lot of kids will talk about doing stuff everyone can tell they didn't do. i was in treatment with one kid who lied about absolutely everything, he talked about being in gangs and a bunch of lies about his family and I feel bad for anyone that just has the urge to lie like that it's not something they can help it's just a habbit that you're too afraid to ask for help with. who wants to admit they're full of shit?