Extreme pain but afraid of meds

needamiracle

Greenlighter
I made a mistake last time I posted and got in trouble on here for something called sourcing? I didn't know I was doing that but Im schooled now so here I go with another question to see if I can stay outta trouble LOL. ANYWAY, my problem (and move post if I am in the wrong spot since I am new and all) is that I have had 12 spinal operations and have ongoing pain everyday. I go to pain management and I am on oxy for that. Ive tried patches and recently methadone (not strong enough) and my insurance had cut my meds (since resolved) but now I have regular refills again. My PROBLEM is that I HATE what all these meds are doing to me (skin, hair falling out, mental issues, etc etc BUT I have to take them or I would be in bed all day and suicidal. I don't know what to do. Even my pain doc says I am on super high doses and he wants to cut me back some. Scared of withdrawals but more scared of increase in pain. Am I a freak? I don't know what to do. Of course I know I am addicted since Ive been on strong meds 20 years through all these surgeries but do I have a choice? Depressed, scared, could use some advice. Thanks.8)

Twenty years is a long time to suffer constant pain and I am very sorry for that. Have you ever tried any alternative treatment for the spinal condition as well as for the pain? I am sure that there is nothing that can completely alleviate your suffering but sometimes something like acupuncture can at least give you a temporary respite. I had chronic shoulder pain for over a year and while acupuncture could not fix it, I did get a pain free full night's sleep after every treatment and that was worth a lot to me at the time.

I can fully imagine how scared and depressed you must feel. Pain medication comes with so many side effects, not to mention the inevitable addiction realities when you have to be on them for any length of time. You must feel very trapped. Here is a rundown of some alternatives you could try:http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/chronic-pain-11/alternative-treatments

Nah, not a freak, just got some real fucked up shit to deal with like a lot of folks. You got problems I don't so I'm just gonna talk outta my ass.
Should be honest and open with your doc if you think he's trustworthy, and maybe see what happens if you taper down a bit. Not quit, but maybe there IS a balance where your head is a bit better and you don't hurt anymore than you do now. It sounds depressing and scary, but you might be a little better if you keep trying to move forward.
Hope you do.

I have a lot of sympathy for you, OP. I am a PAin Management patient and have been stable on hydrocodone for 7-8 years, no changes. My condition isn't relevant. But maybe thing of it this way-meds can help you choose an active, productive life under certain circumstances. Other people find the side effects to be unacceptable and don't want the physical dependence. Only YOU know which will work for you.

And as Herbavore mentioned, there are other modalities that you can try instead or maybe lower your dosage meditation, massage, alternative medicine. I always am interested in trying non-invasive methods to reduce pain but also increase function. Some methods work surprisingly well!

I'm so sorry you're in pain. I certainly empathize. I agree with others who suggest multiple modalities to "attack" your pain. I know first hand it's a BITCH to suffer every day. I managed 4 decades with only Darvocet, because stronger meds caused too many GI issues.

I personally cannot rely only on pain meds, even though I'm in pain management also. The meds wreak havoc on my digestive system, making chronic pain issues harder to deal with. Constipation makes my health issues even more debilitating (severe/partial obstruction type C).

I too, am at a desperate crossroads, with lifelong pain and depression (due to pain). I embrace mindfulness, swimming and yoga...not because I feel like it, but because I HAVE TO FIGHT to remain active. I hope you can find the strength to continue to fight.

Thanks every1 who posted. Pain doc put me on methadone for pain and its aweful. Doesnt touch the pain. When he gets back on 10th i will ask to go back on oxys cuz its all that helps. 10 days. This stuff is like aspirin and i feel like im losing my mind. Maybe i should try double dose???

Im so scared i dont know what to do....this is surgery #13 and i have to be on meds im not sure why insurance cut me but im in need. Wish it was recreational but its survival. Plus withdrawsls cause even MORE pain.Any1 live in anaheim california that i could talk to for advice? Or is thst against rules too? I slready got in trouble for sourcing? Not sure what i did wrong.

If you got in trouble for sourcing a Mod thought correctly or incorrectly that you were asking for help finding drugs, which we don't do. Have you talked to your doc since getting the methadone and finding it isn't taking care of you? That would be my advice.
It is scary, but keep working on finding something that works, it might exist.

I second the advice about talking to your doctor. If you aren't getting relief, tell him that. The increase in pain during withdrawal is a rebound effect-it eventually settle down the longer you are drug free. But since you're coming up for surgery, that doesn't sound feasible.
i don't know your dosage, but please be careful about doubling up on your meds. Overdosing is not what you want to happen. Have you looked into the non-drug options?

Thanks tinker and golem but ive tried it all.natural and medicinal cuz ive been doing this dance with all these surgeries, metal rods, plates,etc. Constant pain. I even tried to take my life cuz i just didnt wanna live like this anymore. I cant get high from the meds its just for a measure of relief. My husband wont let me drink or do matijuana (we are Christians) but at this point i just want some freedom from pain...even if it doesnt last uf you know what t i mean.

wrong thread. . . .But hey if it makes you feel better Mother Teresa always denied or very strongly rationed the meds in her hospital, up until she was at the end when she wanted more comfort than she got. Frankly I think weed for pain is overrated, but I really don't see God holding it against you if you tried it. It's a real long shot, but see what your doctor thinks about Ketamine, real long shot getting it legit, but it can take you away from your pain for a bit in a way opiates never could.

Last edited: