• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Stillkickin's attempt at a detox journal - Opiates

stillkickin

Bluelighter
(First off, hats off to anyone that takes the dive and reads all of this, didn't realize it would turn out to be such a long write/read)

Hey everyone,

Figured I may as well start a thread for documentation purposes and to give back to the community that has helped me out with similar threads. I think it may help me keep myself a bit more accountable for my actions if I have them documented to a degree. Hoping I stick with this as well as the whole kicking opiates part.

General info about me:
I'm a guy in his early 30's. Have a great engineering job at a large company where I live making good money. I don't know how I've managed to keep it over the last 5 years given everything that's went down in that time frame. I own a house, a nice car, and a nice motorcycle I enjoy riding when I'm not hurting/detoxing. I'm thin but not in nearly as good of shape as I have been in the past (guess that applies to most of us though).

I was divorced about 3.5 years ago from a 9 year relationship and 4 year marriage (this definitely fucked me up pretty bad and contributed to my growing taste for opiates to shut out the bad feelings). I have chronic stomach pain stemming from moderate to severe IBS along with diagnosed fibromyalgia (what I started getting prescribed opiates for).

Drug abuse:

(During all of the next times discussed, I was smoking cannabis and was on ambien and xanax to some extent)

I started in on just 5mg hydro's when I was probably about 24 as they "helped me sleep and helped my stomach". There isn't anything false about that statement. At the time, they certainly did both of those things.

Fast forward a year or two, things started getting rockier and rockier in my relationship. I won't play the blame game about that but there was a lot of tension in the relationship, mostly stemming from finances and lack thereof. My ex had a grand vision of how life was supposed to be that didn't align with my own expectations. She was from a more privileged background where I was born into low-income housing and was raised essentially in the same. This led me to increasing my intake of opiates and expanding out to oxy. I probably got up to around 30mg/day when an "old friend" of mine said he could get "morphine caps" downtown. I took his word for it and ended up in some seedy areas of town copping "caps" (I found out a couple of years these were actually just H caps). I ended up detoxing while working on my car and didn't know what was happening to me. My anxiety was through the roof and I felt so ill. I ended up losing my temper "as a mid 20's kid can do" and through a hard right hand at what I thought was particle board. It wasn't, was compressed would and shattered my right hand.

I ended up in the hospital and got shot up with 4 shots of dillaudid. This immediately remedied all of my problems including my shattered hand which later required 5 screws and a titanium plate (I should have realized at this point the opiates were taking over pretty hard). Since I ended up needing surgery, I had a pretty good access to opiates for the better part of 2 months....until I ran out. This was my first hard C/T detox. It rocked my world. My wife at the time had no idea of how to deal with me and I didn't know how to deal with myself. After about a week of suffering, I came out of it and thought I was all good. I promised my ex I wouldn't get my scripts for oxy anymore and I kept my word for a few months. I then started picking up my 40 x 5mg oxies again (that's not that much is what I told myself). I kept myself in check for the better part of the next year until I found out about a semi-local pain management clinic that specialized in fibromyalgia and IBS along with a lot of other ailments.

I thought I was on my way to reaching my bliss. I was getting 180 x 10mg hydros (since hydros were still schedule III at that time and could get refills with minimal visits to the pain doc). Over the course of the next 6 months that slowly graduated to 240. This is when the marriage finally about hit the beginning of the end. Once I found out that there was nothing I could do to save it, I succumbed to switching to 150 x 15mg oxy's. Then on all the way up to 300 x 15mg oxy's once the divorce was final and she was moved out. I was on the 300x for about a year just miserable when I wasn't completely numb. I should also point out that I was taking around 20-30 x 15mg oxy's daily as I was supplementing considerably from the street with more 15's through someone I ended up meeting that knew people.

I was dropping so much money on this I practically bankrupted myself. At the end of 2013 after multiple failed attempts of detoxing and going through hell almost every weekend I got on a fast suboxone taper and got my first victory of getting off of opiates. I made about 7 months in 2014 completely off of everything. This was the time I realized I had a lot of unresolved issues in my life including still taking 1-3mg of xanax a day for sleep and anxiety and was still on an SSRI that I didn't feel was helping me at all but was causing some physical side effects that were not at all desirable.

Since I decided to kick the SSRI first, I allowed myself to get another refill of "just 10mg hydros" to help cope with the SSRI detox. I got through the SSRI detox and then decided it was time to kick the benzos in November 2014. This was so much harder than I ever imagined. This really fucked me up and I still refer to kicking the benzos as mental terrorism that went on for the better part of 6-7 months. I felt pretty free from the benzos by May-June of this year. I've since been working on kicking the oxy/hydros ever since with minimal success.

Present day:

So now I've busted my ass at my job and worked out getting some "comp days" to plan another attempt at detoxing and getting it to stick. I've been able to get myself completely off the oxy and down to around 50-100mg/day of hydro.

Yesterday at 10am I had my last big dose of 40mg of hydro. I've made that stretch until this morning where I woke up feeling pretty damn shitty and I dosed with 10mg. This left me with 20mg total of hydro left to my name. I've gotten through the day better than I thought I would until I was somehow able to dose off and take a nap from about 2pm to 4pm. I woke up rather violently to my phone going off and felt like pure shit. Sweating while freezing and just completely had the wind knocked out of me. Stomach churning and back feeling like it's in a vise. I took a 5mg hydro and long hot shower which seemed to help for about 2 hours. I'm now back to hurting rather well but feeling mentally stronger than what I typically have in the past when I'm at this point (probably has a lot to do with knowing I have about 5 more days off before I have to go back to the office).

I think I've prepared for this about as good as someone is able to do given all of my experiences in the past. I have plenty of clonidine, gabapentin, immodium, xanax (only if desperately needed as I can't risk dependence to those every again), and nutritional drinks for when I can't eat. I did all my laundry earlier this week, paid all my late bills, and have prepped myself to binge watch television.

--------------

So that's my story. Anyone have any conversation they'd like to discuss as a result of reading this?? Anyone else out there kinda doing the same damn thing I am?? I could certainly use the company and would love to read others' experiences. Reading other persons' detox stories have helped me so much, I had to at least attempt to post one. Even if it only encourages one other person to give it a shot, it's well worth it. I really want to take my life to a different level and I know I can't get there while still staying on the hook with opiates.

Well, the insomnia has certainly set in with the other expected withdrawal symptoms. Guess I'm gonna try to take some OTC sleep aids to see if that will do the trick. Not ready to cave into the benzo territory just yet. Immodium is suppressing a lot of stomach discomfort and I've been able to get in a roughly 2k calories over the course of the day along with a couple vitamins. Gabapentin seems to be helping to a degree but I'm still pretty damn achey and beat.

You got this. Good post. I read through the whole thing.

it sounds like you have an amazing life waiting for you, once you get rough this temporary, but painful time.

keep posting you story, it's good to read and I hope I read a happy, successful ending.

I too am in a similar situation OP. I have a good job and a lot going for me and I have to stop this now or everything is going to fall apart. I am CTing today and mon-wed of this week I have a bit of sub that i'm going to take so I'm not detoxing at work. Then I'm Cting again from thurs-sun over thanksgivingand will continue from there. If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to reveal this secret to my family and go to rehab or something. I've been IVing 2-3 30s a day for some time now and more when I could. I'm the type of person who always finds a way to fukc everything good I have going up. I digress, I'll be mostly on the same schedule as you and will come to this thread for motivation. GL

Really good post stillkickin, hang in there and keep posting on how you are doing hey RoxI'm glad to see you back was wondering I am in same boat as you fml

Last edited:
Firstly, thank you to everyone for reading that long ass post :D

You got this. Good post. I read through the whole thing.

it sounds like you have an amazing life waiting for you, once you get rough this temporary, but painful time.

keep posting you story, it's good to read and I hope I read a happy, successful ending.

Thank you 57! There's certainly a lot of potential for a different lifestyle awaiting my success of getting off of the opiates. Thank you for replying. I'm going to try to keep this journal active.

I too am in a similar situation OP. I have a good job and a lot going for me and I have to stop this now or everything is going to fall apart. I am CTing today and mon-wed of this week I have a bit of sub that i'm going to take so I'm not detoxing at work. Then I'm Cting again from thurs-sun over thanksgivingand will continue from there. If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to reveal this secret to my family and go to rehab or something. I've been IVing 2-3 30s a day for some time now and more when I could. I'm the type of person who always finds a way to fukc everything good I have going up. I digress, I'll be mostly on the same schedule as you and will come to this thread for motivation. GL

Hey RoxieRoad. I take it you've probably been down this w/d road quite a few times as well? Considering how you're planning your detox with your work schedule. I can't tell you how many holidays I've missed over the last 4 years because I needed the time to try to detox. I'm really wanting to be able to go to a family Thanksgiving dinner this year not obsessing about having enough meds or going there all jacked up on opiates.

So you're on up to 90mg of oxy IV, eh? I never did try to hit a vein and have no idea what that's like but did get upwards of 400mg oxy/day in my worst of times about 1.5 years ago. I jumped this time at about 50-100mg hydro but it's probably closer to 100mg to be realistic. I have horrible impulse control when I have meds around. When are you going to induce on the sub, or have you already? Do you have a stash of pills laying around? That always messes me up. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Really good post stillkickin, hang in there and keep posting on how you are doing hey RoxI'm glad to see you back was wondering I am in same boat as you fml

Thank you Bono. I'll definitely try to keep this thread active. Where are you at exactly in your journey?

I have had some clean time in past and I am working on that once again just can't seem get a grip again thanx for askin

Quick update on my status:

Got about 4-5 hours of sleep last night with the assistance of doxylamine (antihistamine -> Unisom) and .5mg Clonodine. I took the doxylamine as I was hoping it wouldn't exacerbate the RLS that's been kicking my ass for the last 24 hours as much as benadryl would. I can't say for certain if that thought process was effective or not. I did wake up in a pretty fuckin rough shape. Mostly really achey and just major brain fog along with the rough chills. Seems like the clonidine has helped keep a lot of the sweats at bay which is very awesome. I despise having to constantly change clothes and dealing with the chills and sweats at the same time is just fucking mean. Writing this message is taking me forever though. I typically type upwards of 80 words per minute as I'm a systems engineer, but now I'm backspacing after about every 5th letter. Pretty frustrating.

I did take my last 10mg of hydro when I woke up. It won't be enough to take away a whole lot of symptoms but it should help with a brief reprieve for this morning if it ever kicks in.

That's all for now peoples. Hope you all have a good day. I'll be checking this from time to time in between posts.

I have had some clean time in past and I am working on that once again just can't seem get a grip again thanx for askin

I had to search but I thought I recognized your name from the last month. How far were you able to get down? Are you still just working with the subs or are you supplementing with other ones at this point? Do you have a jump off date or are already in the midst of it? No worries if you don't care to divulge, just would help me understanding where you're at. My last clean time was outside of a few days here and there wasn't since May 2014.

Hey I am in the midst of it. A few years ago I was able to get 3 years clean, since then I struggle daily. I have legit pain issues but choose to self medicate up to this point because I never had insurance until now. I do have subs but am not using them at this point in time because I would rather use oxy when I can get.

Hey RoxieRoad. I take it you've probably been down this w/d road quite a few times as well? Considering how you're planning your detox with your work schedule. I can't tell you how many holidays I've missed over the last 4 years because I needed the time to try to detox. I'm really wanting to be able to go to a family Thanksgiving dinner this year not obsessing about having enough meds or going there all jacked up on opiates.

So you're on up to 90mg of oxy IV, eh? I never did try to hit a vein and have no idea what that's like but did get upwards of 400mg oxy/day in my worst of times about 1.5 years ago. I jumped this time at about 50-100mg hydro but it's probably closer to 100mg to be realistic. I have horrible impulse control when I have meds around. When are you going to induce on the sub, or have you already? Do you have a stash of pills laying around? That always messes me up. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Yes I have been dabbling in pills for several years now. I used to just drink and smoke and then I started getting horrible anxiety from the weed and I discovered opiates through an injury and just never really stopped. I snorted them for years and it ruined a relationship with a wonderful girl once she found out I hid it from her for a couple years. Then at some point I decided to IV, even though I have seen where this leads. I was pretty good with not getting out of control by snorting them so I figured I could do the same with iv. Negative ghostrider. Most of the people around me have no idea and it looks like I have my shit together, but that is far from the truth and I feel like if I don't make it this time successfully, i'm just going to reveal it. I refuse to live like this. I think a lot of times about how when I was young, the things in my life I thought I would have accomplished at this point and the things I would be doing, and one bad decision to another has led me far away from that. Kinda makes me want to cry just typing this. I have detoxed several times and end up going back after several weeks. I've had the most success when I CT because there is a barrier between you and fukcing up. You kinda had to go through something to get clean, and it makes you think twice. Anyway, I have found that the physical WD from snorting Rs is much more physical, and the WD from IV is so much more of a mental battle IMO. This is day one, but I feel fairly determined. Got back in the gym today. I'd like to be back in good shape by spring, with this mostly behind me. And to answer your question about the sub, I have half of a suboxone pill and about 1mg of a strip so just enough to manage working for the next three days.

Thanks for the reply, and I'm gonna be ridin this out w/ you stillkickin so we can try to keep one another accountable. I'm not gonna lose to this fukcin shit

P.S. I've deleted all my dealers numbers and blocked everyone of my friends numbers that fools around. I let them know not to bother texting for a while ha

Maybe someone else had this name before? I have lurked around for drug related questions but this thread was my first post just bc I happened to relate to the OP and wanted to give a little support. I saw where you said you are going through the same, so I'll be watching this thread for advice and success stories from you guys. GL

Last edited:
Sorry Roxie you are absolutely right it was similar to your avatar my apologies best wishes though to all

Yes I have been dabbling in pills for several years now. I used to just drink and smoke and then I started getting horrible anxiety from the weed and I discovered opiates through an injury and just never really stopped. I snorted them for years and it ruined a relationship with a wonderful girl once she found out I hid it from her for a couple years. Then at some point I decided to IV, even though I have seen where this leads. I was pretty good with not getting out of control by snorting them so I figured I could do the same with iv. Negative ghostrider. Most of the people around me have no idea and it looks like I have my shit together, but that is far from the truth and I feel like if I don't make it this time successfully, i'm just going to reveal it. I refuse to live like this. I think a lot of times about how when I was young, the things in my life I thought I would have accomplished at this point and the things I would be doing, and one bad decision to another has led me far away from that. Kinda makes me want to cry just typing this. I have detoxed several times and end up going back after several weeks. I've had the most success when I CT because there is a barrier between you and fukcing up. You kinda had to go through something to get clean, and it makes you think twice. Anyway, I have found that the physical WD from snorting Rs is much more physical, and the WD from IV is so much more of a mental battle IMO. This is day one, but I feel fairly determined. Got back in the gym today. I'd like to be back in good shape by spring, with this mostly behind me. And to answer your question about the sub, I have half of a suboxone pill and about 1mg of a strip so just enough to manage working for the next three days.

Thanks for the reply, and I'm gonna be ridin this out w/ you stillkickin so we can try to keep one another accountable. I'm not gonna lose to this fukcin shit

P.S. I've deleted all my dealers numbers and blocked everyone of my friends numbers that fools around. I let them know not to bother texting for a while ha

Dude, thanks for the info. That helps paint a lot better picture of where you're at. We definitely have a lot in common. Living the dual lifestyle is so fuckin taxing. I work in a corporate environment where if this stuff was brought to light, that would be the end of it.

I used to always snort my oxy's. Just how it was. I'd carry around a crusher with me at all times to make it quick and easy. Still can't believe that was a part of my life thinking back.

I'm also planning on hitting the gym to start easing back into my normal routine (lifting/cardio). I'm hoping I can get myself together enough to try tomorrow or at latest Tuesday. I know I'm going to feel like shit going but it definitely helps with the recovery process. That was my saving grace last time until I tore my shoulder rolling jiu jitsu. The shoulder is still torn but it's better enough now to do most lifts if I'm careful and slow.

The mental has really kicked in today. Thought I was doing pretty good up until a few hours ago. The slow nagging aches and lack of energy are putting me in a down state. I'd say about 60% of my thoughts are battling the idea of downing some Kratom or calling someone or both. That reminds me ^^^ Big props for deleting your contacts. I don't really have a whole lot of contacts anymore. There's 2 people I could call but it would be a drawn out process that I wouldn't feel like dealing with in this state.

I'm just waiting for Fallout 4 to finish downloading on the xbox one so I can hopefully lose myself in that with the aide of some bud. It's taking fuckin forever. 63% finished and the download started almost 2 hours ago.

That's it for now. Great to hear from you two. Keep on keepin on guys!

Yes my mistake, the thread is in Sober Living,the 2 pages under 3rd day withdrawls something like that

Great post-I read the entire thing...I was so engrossed in it I didn't hear my phone lol. All kidding aside, my heart was breaking reading it. At the start of my addiction my story was very similar-going through a divorce, the OxyContin (prescribed for chronic pain) helped numb the pain...I eventually graduated to IV heroin. Lost all of my money. Right now, I'm working on re-building my life, from a relapse that was my worst ever.

You're going to do great w detoxing. You educated yourself well. You have all the best comfort meds-and Gabapentin is the best of them all in my opinion. It saved my ass. My story ended with me in jail. Cold-turkey....horribly. You are doing great stillkickin...

It isn't easy. I've been clean a year and 3mos or so. Your post was great....and hang on. It gets tough. I really wish you the best. Good job.

Great post-I read the entire thing...I was so engrossed in it I didn't hear my phone lol. All kidding aside, my heart was breaking reading it. At the start of my addiction my story was very similar-going through a divorce, the OxyContin (prescribed for chronic pain) helped numb the pain...I eventually graduated to IV heroin. Lost all of my money. Right now, I'm working on re-building my life, from a relapse that was my worst ever.

You're going to do great w detoxing. You educated yourself well. You have all the best comfort meds-and Gabapentin is the best of them all in my opinion. It saved my ass. My story ended with me in jail. Cold-turkey....horribly. You are doing great stillkickin...

It isn't easy. I've been clean a year and 3mos or so. Your post was great....and hang on. It gets tough. I really wish you the best. Good job.

Thank you for reading that long post Stargazer! I really appreciate your time and insight!

I blew through thousands of dollars myself on oxy. Not something I'm happy about. Just about maxed out all of my credit cards in the worst of it. I've been able to pay a good portion of all that off over the last 1.5 years but it's taken a lot of work. Getting over that divorce was so much more difficult than I thought it would be initially. In my clean time last year, I had to deal with SOOOO many unresolved emotions since they were just on standby as I was floating through the oxy haze.

What dose would you recommend for gabapentin? I'm still so damn achey it's driving me mad. I was taking 400mg 2-3 times a day. It seems to help a bit but there's still a lot of unresolved pain issues going on in this detox. I know I shouldn't expect to be fully comfortable but I reckon I just feel like gripin.

Big congratulations to you on your over 1 year clean time. That's truly incredible and something to be so damn proud of!!!! If you were able to survive detox and stay clean this long, surely you're capable of rebuilding your life to a place you want it to be. I'm sure just like recovery, this too will take a considerable amount of time. Thank you again for your kind words and I hope you have a great evening!

Let's make that three of us all Doug this together. We all seem to be sick and tired of opiates. Have a life for us waiting outside of this hell. I'm in this with you, but I'm shooting for suboxone maintenance for a long period of time.

I'm here with ya Area57. I plan on keeping this going.

I won't lie though, I hit a breaking point tonight and took some Kratom. I guess I took 5-6 grams of green bali. I didn't think it was going to work at since it took almost 2 full hours to kick in. It's almost completely taken away all the discomfort so I know moving forwards to use considerably less if I hit another hard wall. The plan this week over the next 3 days is to be off everything completely though so I can only afford 1 or maybe 2 more doses of that for this process.

I have to run into the office tomorrow to drop off the on call phone so I may have to take a small dose then but I don't have anything else I have to do that I can't do on a laptop from home for the next 3 days. I plan on taking advantage of that as much as possible.

Hope everyone has a good evening. Hope I see some posts when I get up if I don't check this again for the night.

I went ahead and took a small bit of sub to take the edge off here before bed. Had enough for one day haha. Probably took less than 1mg but that was about 45 min ago and it did just that. Took the edge off a little. I'm hoping that small doses of sub throughout the next few days will help as I begin to go completely CT over thanksgiving break. Ya'll keep posting, it's good to have a little support and to know you're not doing this shit alone. It's crazy how in retrospect, time goes by so fast, yet in the present it goes by so slow. I'm just trying to keep that in mind that it won't last forever and soon enough it will be water under the bridge