• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

November Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v. Thankful for Sobriety!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so strange how different life looks when we go through physical and then mental WD's. 5 days clean last week used Friday and Saturday ( Oxy ) and then dump my remaining down the toilet. This WD is worse for me than getting off of fent. Been manic for the past few days... The usual better of dead for me and everyone else is repeated but has let up today. Can't wait for my body to start producing regular levels of hormones. If you can't tell this is all to be read in a monotone way haha. Good luck to all of you and thanks for reading-RB

4 days today (i think).
I woke up feeling abnormally POSITIVE today.
Seriously hope my mood trajectory continues to soar like a floating object smashing its way through space.

I really struggle to stay off alcohol. I was aiming for a month break from it, after quitting a year+ of daily cocaine abuse I wound up drinking every night for about 6 weeks. I think it was just like I needed a crutch. I already drank a lot before that obviously but it was how regular it became. Now I really struggle with a week off it. Lasted til Thursday but mentally I think about it most nights. Still on the plus I'm a month off coke benzos and any other problem drugs I was using.

I'm in a relationship with an alcoholic and I have asked them to get help. They flat out refuse.

I tried. :|

At least I have my 1 year, 1 week, and 3 days.

CH...I was in a relationship with someone that used while I was sober. (well mostly sober, I would have a beer or two some nights, and the odd joint if my brother and I could afford a gram) It is a crappy feeling. Knowing that whatever you do, however hard you try, the ultimate healthiness of your relationship is in either you leaving them, or them changing. One of which is very easy to happen, but hard to fathom.

You can ask, nag, plead, beg, attend counseling, take them out of counseling, chase them up the street, chase them down the street, bargain with them, or give them ultimatums but the only real power you have is to detach from them. Either detach with love, or detach with anger, the choice is yours. I am sorry if this offends you, however, this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to codependency. I would do some research on it, and it will help you understand why you feel the way you do about them, even though their actions, or lack of action, may be causing you misery.

Thanks bono! At first recovery is very hard. You have no idea how much I wanted to go back for just one more hit, but as the days wore on, I knew I had become stronger and stronger. Each day is like a little battle...it however is not the war. The war lasts a lifetime, and if you lose a battle, do not stress it. My first real attempt to get sober was at age 28 (i had been to rehabs and meetings before this), I am now 33 years old. I have one year sober. Basically the point I am trying to make is; if it doesn't work never give up. I tried everything, ORT, Inpatient rehabs, psychwards, medically assisted withdrawal, but they all failed. I did not let it get me down...I kept going. I had gotten to the point that I thought suicide would be the only way out of this, but I am so glad everyday I never did that, because things are getting better and better. I never gave up even though it took me a solid four years to understand who the fuck I was, how the fuck I got there, and how the fuck to get back on the road to my goals.

Tripnotyzm; Ride that wave man. There are going to be positive and negative days especially in early recovery. When you feel negative lean on your friends, when you feel positive be the friend to lean on. You got this my man, four days was when I first started feeling an inkling that I may be turning a corner on my dependence. Keep at it!

It's so strange how different life looks when we go through physical and then mental WD's. 5 days clean last week used Friday and Saturday ( Oxy ) and then dump my remaining down the toilet. This WD is worse for me than getting off of fent. Been manic for the past few days... The usual better of dead for me and everyone else is repeated but has let up today. Can't wait for my body to start producing regular levels of hormones. If you can't tell this is all to be read in a monotone way haha. Good luck to all of you and thanks for reading-RB

have you tried a detox center, or an inpatient rehab?

So there's another methadone place here I'm thinking about checking out.
I swear to life itself, if my drug test shows up negative at this place on my intake, I give up.

I must have bionic alien urine or something!!

Edit: Holy cow, sometimes I type without thinking, then come across totally not how I want to. Man I'm never really gonna give up. In fact, most of the time I feel like I'm not really trying hard enough. I just let the sickness win over and over. I can't give up anything if I haven't even put enough effort into it in the first place. Disregard the giving up part lol. I'm moreso considering finding a rehab to go to. I've just been so jaded about it because my boyfriend went to rehab twice and just ended up using when he came back... I know we are different people, but I strongly feel that the same thing will happen to me. But I can't say things about something that I haven't really tried to do before...

Last edited:
I'm in a relationship with an alcoholic and I have asked them to get help. They flat out refuse.

I tried. :|

At least I have my 1 year, 1 week, and 3 days.

^ Captain, that truly never worked for out me. I tried many times with different people before I got married.

have you tried a detox center, or an inpatient rehab?

That's what worked out for me for good ... until now at least.

Hey, I'll be soon 9 months sober on the 18th of Nov! :)
...And if everything works out - 1 year in Feb. - hopefully.

HOWEVER, I'll probably spend a month in Boston next Jan/Feb just like last winter.
I'm a bit worried about that.:\ I thought of not going this time.
That is not really the solution of the problem though.

Last edited:
CH...I was in a relationship with someone that used while I was sober. (well mostly sober, I would have a beer or two some nights, and the odd joint if my brother and I could afford a gram) It is a crappy feeling. Knowing that whatever you do, however hard you try, the ultimate healthiness of your relationship is in either you leaving them, or them changing. One of which is very easy to happen, but hard to fathom.

You can ask, nag, plead, beg, attend counseling, take them out of counseling, chase them up the street, chase them down the street, bargain with them, or give them ultimatums but the only real power you have is to detach from them. Either detach with love, or detach with anger, the choice is yours. I am sorry if this offends you, however, this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to codependency. I would do some research on it, and it will help you understand why you feel the way you do about them, even though their actions, or lack of action, may be causing you misery.

Thanks bono! At first recovery is very hard. You have no idea how much I wanted to go back for just one more hit, but as the days wore on, I knew I had become stronger and stronger. Each day is like a little battle...it however is not the war. The war lasts a lifetime, and if you lose a battle, do not stress it. My first real attempt to get sober was at age 28 (i had been to rehabs and meetings before this), I am now 33 years old. I have one year sober. Basically the point I am trying to make is; if it doesn't work never give up. I tried everything, ORT, Inpatient rehabs, psychwards, medically assisted withdrawal, but they all failed. I did not let it get me down...I kept going. I had gotten to the point that I thought suicide would be the only way out of this, but I am so glad everyday I never did that, because things are getting better and better. I never gave up even though it took me a solid four years to understand who the fuck I was, how the fuck I got there, and how the fuck to get back on the road to my goals.

Tripnotyzm; Ride that wave man. There are going to be positive and negative days especially in early recovery. When you feel negative lean on your friends, when you feel positive be the friend to lean on. You got this my man, four days was when I first started feeling an inkling that I may be turning a corner on my dependence. Keep at it!

I completely agree. Thank you for the advice.

I am likely going to have to go to court to evict them.

I didn't take any intoxicating substances for over 3 months, but now I'm on Lyrica which was prescribed to me by a psychiatrist today. I'm taking it for anxiety attacks. Lyrica is a kind of a drug, but I don't think this ruins my sobriety as I only take the prescribed dose. :)

I didn't take any intoxicating substances for over 3 months, but now I'm on Lyrica which was prescribed to me by a psychiatrist today. I'm taking it for anxiety attacks. Lyrica is a kind of a drug, but I don't think this ruins my sobriety as I only take the prescribed dose. :)

Congrats on your 3 months :)

It is okay to take a medication as prescribed. I am in recovery but I take xanax and temazepam. My quality of life would be horrible if I didn't take these...and I treat them with the utmost respect. I am actually currently tapering off the xanax because I have made some pretty big strides in my therapy, and I have learned more coping mechanisms.

Basically the best advice I can give you is to respect your medication. You will know if you need it or not, and if it is helpful than by all means take it. and congrats on 3months! thats about when I started realizing there is life after addiction.

Congratulations to all of you! :)
Great work CH!! <3
Wish you all a great weekend!
Erik.

Status
Not open for further replies.