• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Why is kava so underrated?

Ya Benzos are Less Toxic and MORE FUN WITH MY CANNABIS do both bro YOu won't REGRET IT UNless you can't afford it in that case don't get a habit you can't afford or you'll be a hypocrite LIKE I USED TO BE HHAHAHAH NOT ANYMORE SUCK ADDICTION I CAN PAY FOR U NOW PHYSICAL DEPENDANCE WHAT NOW SAY WUUTTT get hiigghhhh Lol! sweet! Brah!

Theres always like a milllion benzo threads but kava is hardly mentioned. Its way better than benzos though and it doesn't cause the insane withdrawal, i mean have you ever heard of someone water tirtrating kava? I quit with no taper from daily use with no withdrawals. I just recently started drinking again and I had totally forgotten how awesome it is. I actually think I am going to quit smoking weed and start drinking kava instead. it provides both mental and physical relaxation but leaves with you a clear mind. Its also quite spiritual and promotes a sense of peace and brotherly love similar to alcohol but without the obnoxious or aggresive aspect. When the pacific islanders drink kava they get in touch with the spirits of their ancestors. I haven't experienced that yet, but I am still exploring this amazing plant.

Its also a good painkiller. In terms of after work drugs that dont cause a devastating addiction, it ranks right up there with cannabis and kratom. Id even say it ranks above kratom because kratom can have a nasty wd and its not as spiritual in my opinion.

I'd like to know where you get Kava that is so good you think it's worth mentioning and comparing to these other drugs (not asking for vendors though).

For me it's never done much of anything at all other than provide the mildest possible effect, pretty much similar to Chamomile tea.

Either there's some GREAT Kava out there that's much better than what I've tried or you are just really sensitive to it.

Last edited:
i can see that but neither are benzos and there is always a million threads on those, you seriously think benzos are that good on their own? they just make you dull and knocked out for the most part.

They are also AMAZING for anxiety disorders.

Let me know when there's Kava that can deal with Generalized Anxiety Disorder like mine and I'll get excited.

Can you recommend a dosage of kavalactone? I went out and bought some kava extract and dosed about 300mg of the kavalactone. I barely feel anything- a bit of a headache- but what I DO feel feels EXACTLY like Gotu Kola- another herb that is taken for granted and never talked about on these boards.

Gotu Kola is the shit!

What exactly does Gotu Kola do and how do you take it?

It's legal right?

I'd like to know where you get Kava that is so good you think it's worth mentioning and comparing to these other drugs.

For me it's never done much of anything at all other than provide the mildest possible effect, pretty much similar to Chamomile tea.

Either there's some GREAT Kava out there that's much better than what I've tried or you are just really sensitive to it.

I don't think I am that sensitive. Obviously there are some people who like it/get good effects and others who don't but there is nothing special about me compared to other folks who like it. I didn't even feel anything my first couple of times but I knew there must be something to kava because I read of people getting very good effects online and of course if it was really so mild it simply would not hold such a revered place among the pacific island cultures. So I kept trying and eventually I learned what it was all about. I admit it can be inconsistent, for instance some days I will get a great high from it whereas other days I won't feel nearly as much, but when its good its really good.

I can't list sources directly but seeing as how there is a kava forum (just google kava forum) you will easily find reviews of the best suppliers from real kava heads. If you read what the people on that forum have to say about it, you'll see I am telling the truth and it really works, at least for the people it works for (and don't assume that isn't you until youve tried a few varieties and dosages in different settings. Remember its a natural herb and the effects can be highly variable.

I have tried kava a number of times. Once at a kava bar (this was actually pretty awesome, chill atmosphere, cool people) It just isn't strong enough to treat my anxiety disorders.

If my anxiety gets better, I would switch over, but for now, its therapy and benzos.

Because the Australian Government are a pack of Nazis, Kava was banned not to long ago. I'd take Kava over benzos any day - just like I'd take Kratom over opiates or Khat over stimulants. All of these natural, relatively harmless drugs (in comparison to their pharmaceutical counterparts,) are banned in my country, and it makes me fucking mad. I'd use all three and be much healthier and happier in comparison to how I am now. :X:X:X

I've had the best kava, from Vanuatu, & can say that while it does work, the effects are mild and quite short-lived. Drink it on an empty stomach or you'll likely not feel the effects (similiar to kratom in that regard).
But if you drink just a little too much, you'll have nausea.
I've gotten dizzy plenty of times & thrown up twice from it, the last time I felt nauseous for several hrs after drinking it, thought food would help, nope. I did sleep good afterwards tho.

Nothing beats the feeling of kava to me. Although it never lasted as long as xanax, the feeling is definitely 10x better. almost opiate like. Best part is you can buy them at any supplement store. I've always taken the capsules.

I would love to try The Traditional method ..too bad I don't live on a Pacific Island..!? That is just about the only way you are going to get The ReaL DeaL. Some of the Best Recipes are Family Secrets. And yes, I have seen programs on Discovery Channel type shows of peeps getting Wasted, and stumbling around. If you can get that recipe please shoot it my way ..Please.! Great Post btw burn out..!!

imo kava is overrated. Made my mouth numb and thats about it. maybe i expected too much. oh well.

I had some extract that was put into toffee, and it did not taste that good and made my mouth and tongue numb; but I sort of relaxed from it but I've never taken benzos recreationally, and I've found that meditation and exercise work better for me personally.

Kava was not like drinking alcohol, nitrous, or opiates in low doses but the only time I had a benzo was when I had my very impacted wisdom teeth taken out and it was Valium in IV form and that was so I would not remember anything which was fine but I had nitrous then with it and loved the n2o.

Because the Australian Government are a pack of Nazis, Kava was banned not to long ago. I'd take Kava over benzos any day - just like I'd take Kratom over opiates or Khat over stimulants. All of these natural, relatively harmless drugs (in comparison to their pharmaceutical counterparts,) are banned in my country, and it makes me fucking mad. I'd use all three and be much healthier and happier in comparison to how I am now. :X:X:X

Wow, that sucks. I used to think I had it bad living in the USA but just like you I have learned to appreciate plants and herbs over pharmaceuticals and synthetic drugs and I now actually feel quite lucky with what I have access to where I live.

I can legally buy:

- Medical cannabis as well as potent edibles, hash and concentrates
- kratom
- kava
- San Pedro cactus
- Psilocybin mushroom spores
- Aminita Muscaria mushrooms
- DMT containing plants

That's more than enough to keep me happy really and I feel like such an idiot for wasting so much time and money using alcohol, benzos, cocaine and opiates which did nothing but ruin my life. I am much happier using herbs. They seem so much less harmful and sometimes they are even very beneficial. I also have learned to appreciate kratom over opiates. It doesn't completely take over my life the way opiates do. For instance, when I do heroin my mind is so sedated I can't meditate or focus on any of the activities that really interest me like reading (I always nod off if I try to read a book) or spirituality and pretty much all I think about is when I can have my next shot of heroin. With kratom on the other hand, my mind stays clear and alert and I never feel a need to compulsively redose it.

I Find GABAPentin AMAZING FOR AXNIETY even with daily use tolerance slowly develops vs. recreational effects lasting one day and its great with CANNABI but i think every drug is but this is a fact though since Cannabis Stimulates GABA Production in the brain when high and can intensify benzos and same goes for endorphins and opioids But that is it since it has no effect on dopamine and or serotonin unlesss your super happy to get weed and find it rewarding to smoke which i do lol.

I've made many experiences with kava where it has done very little, and many experiences where it has done absolutely nothing. But I've also had some experiences where it has undeniably gotten me quite high. It is weird how inconsistent it is.

Does anyone here know how the hepatic (liver) toxicity of Kava compares to acetaminophen/paracetametatol(correct spelling?)/APAP? Kava sounds worthwhile to investigate but I've been having issues with liver toxicity from acetaminophen and don't wanna take anything that's gonna be really hard on my liver

Hepatotoxicity
The frequency of adverse reactions to kava, particularly liver injury, is not known. Based upon reported cases, the estimated frequency of clinically apparent liver injury due to kava is less than 1:1,000,000 daily doses. However, spontaneous reporting is believed to capture less than 1% of severe adverse events from the use of dietary supplements. Between 50 and 100 cases of clinically apparent liver injury have been published or discussed in the literature. Advocates of the herbal have strongly rejected these numbers, disputing both their accuracy and the causality assessment process. Still, there seem to be convincing evidence in some cases of severe hepatitis ending in fulminant hepatic failure, requiring liver transplantation, and even leading to death. Patients typically present with fatigue, nausea, elevations in serum aminotransferase levels, and jaundice 2 to 24 weeks after starting use of the product. The pattern of enzyme elevations is hepatocellular with marked elevations in serum aminotransferase and minimal increases in alkaline phosphatase levels. In some cases, features of immunoallergic hepatitis (rash, fever, eosinophilia, and recurrence on reexposure) are present. Liver biopsy findings include focal hepatocellular necrosis, lobular inflammation and intrahepatic cholestasis. In more severe cases there is massive or submassive necrosis.

One possible reason is (I've found, anyway) that it can take a while of getting past the reverse tolerance before you really start to feel it, which translates to a week or so of daily dosing of a not-great-tasting (to most people, but I've kind of grown to like it) greyish liquid. Once you've been using it for a while, it's great, but it might just take too long to feel effects for most people.

Honestly, I'd kind of like to get back into kava. I really enjoyed it back when I used it a lot. The price is probably the main thing holding me back. It really is fantastic for anxiety and depression.

It's totally legal- you can buy it at any supplement store.

Very similar to lyrica/ GHB in terms of effects.

Does Gotu Kola have any negative interactions with either Lexapro or Klonopin??

If it has one with Klonopin that's no big deal as I don't take it everyday and can just skip it if I try the Gotu Kola, but I take Lexapro everyday and always have it in my system so if it interacts badly with that then it's a no-no.

Hepatotoxicity
The frequency of adverse reactions to kava, particularly liver injury, is not known. Based upon reported cases, the estimated frequency of clinically apparent liver injury due to kava is less than 1:1,000,000 daily doses. However, spontaneous reporting is believed to capture less than 1% of severe adverse events from the use of dietary supplements. Between 50 and 100 cases of clinically apparent liver injury have been published or discussed in the literature. Advocates of the herbal have strongly rejected these numbers, disputing both their accuracy and the causality assessment process. Still, there seem to be convincing evidence in some cases of severe hepatitis ending in fulminant hepatic failure, requiring liver transplantation, and even leading to death. Patients typically present with fatigue, nausea, elevations in serum aminotransferase levels, and jaundice 2 to 24 weeks after starting use of the product. The pattern of enzyme elevations is hepatocellular with marked elevations in serum aminotransferase and minimal increases in alkaline phosphatase levels. In some cases, features of immunoallergic hepatitis (rash, fever, eosinophilia, and recurrence on reexposure) are present. Liver biopsy findings include focal hepatocellular necrosis, lobular inflammation and intrahepatic cholestasis. In more severe cases there is massive or submassive necrosis.

Yes but it's already been pretty much proven that the ROOT of the Kava plant is NOT hepatoxic so if you find prepartions that include ONLY the root you should be fine.

It's the other parts of the plant that are hepatoxic.