Exploring creating a comprehensive drug treatment facility resource

Ode_to_the_ODed

Greenlighter
Hi there, I have been an addict for almost 10 years and have been in 5 programs through my using "career". Right now I am trying to put together a list of detoxs', rehabs, and IOP companies that are located in the US and Canada. My goal is to produce a list of resources available to those who seek treatment or support. I am hoping to get honest reviews on any programs you have been a part of.

In my experience, when trying to get placed into a detox or in patient rehab, I have been promised things over the phone only to find out what i had been promised has not lived up to expectations.
(I can recall a major pubically traded addiction rehab center promising a swimming pool only to fly halfway across the country and find out it was a 1 foot deep fountain that we were not allowed to even splash around in. Another time I was promised I could keep my phone during my stay so i did not bother to bring my ipod for music because I would have my phone. Within 5 minutes of admission my phone was taken and was told I should have brought my ipod.

These problems are caused by certain companies and people who operate as placement services for addicts. Most of their workers are on a small flat hourly rate but have referral bonuses when they successfully place an addict into one of their treatment centers with whom they are contracted with to supply clients. This causes the operators on the phone to lie to potential clients who are calling because they've almost given up, and realize they may not be able to do this on their own. So they call looking for some help at a very vulnerable point.

I find it disgusting that these people are taken advantage of us by promising us things to get us on a plane and fly thousands of miles only to find out it wasn't what you were told.

While the issues may seem insignificant, an ipod could be the reason a person rediscovers a passion in music, and in turn realigns their whole outlook on life which provides the will power and motivation to see the rough patches through and successfully beat this disease.

My mission is to create a database of programs across the US and Canada that has honest reviews from past clients who have been through the whole process of placement, admission, treatment, graduation and can provide some insight on how these programs are run.

Some programs are great and offer genuine support and look out for your well being, others are money hungry companies looking to pack their facilities full and offer bare minimum, offer empty promises, and no follow up after their client leaves.

Unfortunately I am only one person, and I dont plan on going back to any programs (5 times now...) So i do need help and reviews from people who have been through it. If you could find 5 minutes to answer a few questions about your stay at one of these programs i will do my best to educate the masses and provide the best options for the addicts themselves.

A few questions that would greatly help are;

Name? Location?

How did you hear about this program?

Word of mouth? internet search? called your health insurance provider?

What health insurance provider you have (If you know any tier number of service provided)

Did you speak with a person that helped you find a program that would take you?

Did they say what amenities were offered?
If so, did the program deliver on those amenities?

What were some of the biggest issues you had during your stay?
Not enough 1 on 1 time? Medication lines too long? short staffed? drug use? etc.

How friendly/caring were the staff?

Did the program call after your treatment to keep up with you at all? check on your progress?

Were there any issues with insurance or costs during your stay?

Did you graduate from your stay? 30,60,90? (Whatever you set out to complete)

If not, how come?

ANY OTHER INFO YOU MAY FEEL IS RELEVANT:

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I greatly appreciate any info. I feel if I can put together a solid list at least some people will have realistic expectations of what they are about to get into. Something that seems trivial and insignificant could be the added stressor that could cause relapse.

-Ode_to_the_ODed

Do not buy onto the bs or even consider so called "detox" or treatment at "NARCONON" Cal-Mag drink does not work... that was a trek to get the fuck out of there...promised my family something like over 80% success. what if you never left......L. Ron Hubberd crap

I've seen this happen to people way to often. You would think they wouldn't be so hard on you unless you are there by court order. But they treat walk ins and reg people like jailbirds. It's sad. I'm gonna be following this posting I'd like to know of a few great rehabs I have a lot of friends looking to try an kick the habbit!

What was that rehab movie with Sandra Bullock? I'd think that was a decent place. It's subjective. You would have to explain certain aspects, for it not to be just your opinion.