• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Dexedrine or Focalin

D21153R

Greenlighter
I am seeing my doc in about a week, I was precsribed vyyvanse but my shiity insurance wont cover it.They said they will approve Dexedrine, Focalin, ritalin, and adderall.I was diagnosed with adult ADHD but never taken any amps before, so anyway my doctor will script me whichever one I decide to try anyone and everyone with amp experience know what I should start with? Which ever one im probably gonna start out with 1/4 dose just in case I die of heart failure.

Well Vyvanse basically *is* Dexedrine ("Dextro-amphetamine"), just in a prodrug form ("Lisdexamphetamine") that limits its abuse liability by making it so that your body has to "liberate" the D-amphetamine from the lysine that prevents it from taking effect, meaning that snorting it won't give you an instant high in the way that straight-up Amp/Dex would.
So if you don't have a problem with stim addiction, you'll probably want to go with Dexedrine.

Focalin is an interesting drug, it is like the Dexedrine of Ritalin in other words it is 100% Dexmethylphendiate instead of racemic, so it should be stronger with less side effects than regular ritalin. I tried Focalin once, I didn't really like it though it gave me a wierd anxiety whereas concerta (racemic methylphenidate) I can take as much as I want with none. Dexedrine I have tried once, it was good.

If you are happy with Vyvanse than go with Dexedrine, there the same essentially, and don't worry about taking a quarter dose, Dexedrine has very low side effects and its very smooth with little physical signs. You would be just fine starting at whatever dose you are prescribed, the amount it would take to cause you any harm is WAY higher than a therapeutic dose.

ok

Focalin is an interesting drug, it is like the Dexedrine of Ritalin in other words it is 100% Dexmethylphendiate instead of racemic, so it should be stronger with less side effects than regular ritalin. I tried Focalin once, I didn't really like it though it gave me a wierd anxiety whereas concerta (racemic methylphenidate) I can take as much as I want with none. Dexedrine I have tried once, it was good.

If you are happy with Vyvanse than go with Dexedrine, there the same essentially, and don't worry about taking a quarter dose, Dexedrine has very low side effects and its very smooth with little physical signs. You would be just fine starting at whatever dose you are prescribed, the amount it would take to cause you any harm is WAY higher than a therapeutic dose.

Yeah my insurance wont cover vyvanse, so I figured dex would be the way to go. Ive heard people say that ritalin and focalin do weried things to your head like making it clousy or turning you into a zombie.Im not looking to get high, just to be able to do better in school and be more productive.Im not even sure I have ADHD my doc just gave me a paper to fill out, about a month ago I told him I was tired all the time so he prescribed me adderall(never took bc prior auth) Also has me on 2mg xanax 2x/day(4 total) and ambien at night.I swear my doctor is a quack hes prescribed me anything ive ever asked for, but I am struggling with ADHD symptoms and really hope dexedrine works without excaerbating my already moderate anxiety issue

Ill be seeing him on the 23rd so ill post update thanks for opinions this is new for me so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Well I have taken quite a few 60 mg vyvanse in my time, friends girl used to sell em for 10 bucks each, damned pricey but they sure lasted a long time. Helped a lot with my anxiety, do they help with yours? If so you can expect Dexedrine to have the same effect since to your body they are the same. And with your anxiety problems I would say no Focalin for sure, that caused me a lot of anxiety just at 10 mg. Ritalin would probably cause anxiety as well.

So ya I would say there's a good chance you might have some degree of anxiety relief from Dexedrine, it should be little different from the vyvanse just it will kick in faster, and not last as long (unless you get spansules).

If you actually want something that helps with your ADHD and you don't plan on abusing your meds, try Focalin or Ritalin first. Amphetamine will end up reeling you into an addiction.

If the choice is between Dexedrine and Adderall, choose Dexedrine. The levoamphetamine in Adderall gives it some side effects that will completely fuck you over on a bad day.

If you actually want something that helps with your ADHD and you don't plan on abusing your meds, try Focalin or Ritalin first. Amphetamine will end up reeling you into an addiction.

If the choice is between Dexedrine and Adderall, choose Dexedrine. The levoamphetamine in Adderall gives it some side effects that will completely fuck you over on a bad day.
No it won't not if he doesn't abuse it, duh! He said he was already on Vyvanse and that he has anxiety, clearly he should go with Dexedrine.

Wouldn't it be better to try the drug with a lower abuse potential first, and then switch over if it doesn't work out? Amphetamine tolerance is pretty annoying to deal with.

I loveee amphetamines BUT they feel super good. Methylphenidate and it's d isomer dexmethyphenadite are just as good for add/ADHD.

Try focalin out to see how you like it. Ritalin gives me some anxiety, but focalin didn't give me much at all.

Adderall xr gave me more anxiety if I was already having anxiety. I didn't like taking it without gabapentin(anxiety med).

The basic answer to your question is, everyone will benefit better from some drugs than others. Just give them all a try if possible.

Well there is the fact that he is already on Vyvanse, which is essentially the same thing. Wouldn't it make sense to stick with the D-Amp since its working for him. Also Ritalin/Focalin etc... are going to cause more anxiety than D-Amp, Focalin in particular gave me really bad anxiety and it felt to strong, Concerta is nice though and worth giving a try if you can, its got 3 separate doses; 1 at instant release, than second dose 4 hrs later, third dose 4 hours later, and it really does give a nice ~10 hrs of effect, plus they go up to 54 mg capsules. <br><br>I realize amps are addictive but he already takes them. Vyvanse are really powerful, and they turn into straight D-Amp in the body. So if OP's insurance won't cover Vyvanse, but will cover Dexedrine than obviously if he wants to substitute the Vyv with something similar Dex is virtually the same thing.

IMO concerta gives the MOST anxiety. Vyvanse is still different in the sense you can't really notice it but you know it's working. I would just give focalin a try before counting it out. For ME there is a small comedown, why go stright to dexadrine when you can try a drug that has a lower abuse potential.

Worst case senerio he doesn't like it and goes back next month to get dexadrine.

Well there is the fact that he is already on Vyvanse, which is essentially the same thing. Wouldn't it make sense to stick with the D-Amp since its working for him. Also Ritalin/Focalin etc... are going to cause more anxiety than D-Amp, Focalin in particular gave me really bad anxiety and it felt to strong, Concerta is nice though and worth giving a try if you can, its got 3 separate doses; 1 at instant release, than second dose 4 hrs later, third dose 4 hours later, and it really does give a nice ~10 hrs of effect, plus they go up to 54 mg capsules. <br><br>I realize amps are addictive but he already takes them. Vyvanse are really powerful, and they turn into straight D-Amp in the body. So if OP's insurance won't cover Vyvanse, but will cover Dexedrine than obviously if he wants to substitute the Vyv with something similar Dex is virtually the same thing.

The point is - he hasn't been on Vyvanse for long. (Actually, OP didn't even say that he got the prescription filled.) Even if amphetamine is working for him now, it won't work that well forever. So, switching over to methylphenidate before he develops an addiction would be smart since its effects are more consistent and sustainable.

And if Focalin/Ritalin gives him too much anxiety, he can just switch back over to amphetamine.

Nothing wrong with your approach, just speaking from my own experiences, your mileage may vary :/

The point is - he hasn't been on Vyvanse for long. (Actually, OP didn't even say that he got the prescription filled.) Even if amphetamine is working for him now, it won't work that well forever. So, switching over to methylphenidate before he develops an addiction would be smart since its effects are more consistent and sustainable.

And if Focalin/Ritalin gives him too much anxiety, he can just switch back over to amphetamine.

No I never got it filled because it needed prior authorization.My insurance co. said they would cover dex, addy, foc, or ritalin. Ive never taken any amphetamine ever only cns stimulant ive had is caffeine, and I notice if I have too much caffeine my anxiety increases. So im just worried about increases in my anxiety, as far as dependence or abuse goes I dont believe it would ever happen, as I dont even take my prescribed dose of xanax everyday.Im precribed 4mg total/day and usually always only take 2mg-2.5mg.I just heared really weired side effects about focalin and ritalin, so also just want to know about which any first time amp users took and how it worked for them.

focalin has some nasty PNS effects.

i haven't had any dexedrine but i've had d-amp and i can honestly say i prefer amp for recreation and probably MPH for trying to control add symptoms but i have no plans on ever touching d-MPH(focalin) again...

focalin has some nasty PNS effects.

i haven't had any dexedrine but i've had d-amp and i can honestly say i prefer amp for recreation and probably MPH for trying to control add symptoms but i have no plans on ever touching d-MPH(focalin) again...

Yeah that adds to the number of people who dont agree with mph which is (Focalin and Ritalin) Right?

focalin is twice as potent as ritalin
(d-MPH)_________________ (MPH)

No it won't not if he doesn't abuse it, duh! He said he was already on Vyvanse and that he has anxiety, clearly he should go with Dexedrine.
Not really, at therapeutic doses the levo isomers made amphetamines feel terrible side effects wise and were pointless for me, dextroamphetamine still had too many side effects for me so I use dextromethamphetamine.