• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Has anyone famous influenced your drug use n how so?

So many... more like who's the one of the moment...

It started with Hunter S Thompson
Charles Bukowski
rap music about opiates/selling drugs
The Beatles
Alexander Shulgin
David Nichols
Carlos Castenada
Timothy Leary
Ram Dass
Tom Wolfe
Ken Kesey
The Grateful Dead
William S Burroughs
The Rolling Stones
Terrence McKenna

Just about every rock/funk/jazz etc musician I've ever listened to.

"You're anti-drugs? Then I've got news for you people. Throw away your record collection. Every last disc. Now." - Bill Hicks

hah nice quote.

Future Sound of London is the group that got me interested in Ayahuasca / Yage, which I eventually ended up taking.

The Doors
Bob Marley
Sven Vath ''a pill an hour keeps a man on full power'' 'Ten hours in to a 12 hour set in Ibiza'

Not really influenced properly though as I was already doing things before I got in to any of the names quoted. Although they maybe glorified it a bit.

I wanted to take acid again after not trying it in years after watching 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'. Took it when The Doors reformed and got front row tickets to see them:)

Never tried it again since though.

One thing I remember having the opposite effect on me was watching Roseanne with my parents when I was a kid. John Goodman used to go to the fridge when he got home from work every episode and have a Budweiser whilst sitting at the table in front of his wife and kids. Always hated that and swore I'd never be that person, so have never been a big drinker.

When I got older and learned about product placement I realised what was going on! Still appreciate the good effect it had on me though:)

John Belushi and River Phoenix. Although I occasionally inject heroin, I have never IV'd anything else, especially cocaine. As such, despite what little benefit their influence will provide, I know I will never ever shoot a speedball. Ill be lucky to live to 40 at this rate.

Plus I hate cocaine.

Keith Richards has always been quite far up on my 'uber cool' list. He always seems so chirpy and happy too with his lifestyle, not a drug casualty celebrity looking for sympathy in rehab. (Same goes for a few others musicians like Jimmi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Lou Reed, folk that hung around Andy Warhol's Factory).

Also, Steve Jobs saying that taking LSD was one of the best and most important things he has ever done.

Terrence McKenna and all his whacky talk about 'machine elves' etc.

Prof. John Lilly and his dolphin communication studies and use of ketamine and LSD while in a sensory deprivation chamber that he invented!

Timothy Leary and his 'turn on, tune in, drop out' phrase and he is a bit of a legend within 60s drug culture.

Irvine Welsh novels that contain numerous stories revolving around drug use (plenty of other authors too, but Welsh's material is hysterical).

Bill Hicks and his stand up routines involving accounts of his drug use.

I find most of the people above fascinating in someway, they might not have influenced my own drug use, but I definitely like hearing or reading about theirs. There are plenty of other famous people who are more at the 'casualty' end of the spectrum, whose stories are more amusing, or even tragic, than fascinating to me.

When I was in high school I read a book about a girl "Christine F." whose biography was about her life in the streets of Berlin where she became addicted to drugs, specially heroin. It was a best seller in the 80's.

I believe she's now in her 50's and very sick. Older than me but from the same generation.
I related to most of the scenes of the book. We were pretty amazed by this charming, strong girl who had made it.
Fact is she never came close to have a life as she relapsed after her success and until this date she remains a hard core heroin addicted.

I was also only 13 and was already using drugs so her experience - although her life was very dramatic, it sort of romanticized the use of opiates at that time (IMO at the age of 13).

Last edited:
When I was in high school I read a book about a girl "Christine F." whose biography was about her life in the streets of Berlin where she became addicted to drugs, specially heroin. It was a best seller in the 80's.

I believe she's now in her 50's and very sick. Older than me but from the same generation.
I related to most of the scenes of the book. We were pretty amazed by this charming, strong girl who had made it.
Fact is she never came close to have a life as she relapsed after her success and until this date she remains a hard core heroin addicted.

I was also only 13 and was already using drugs so her experience - although her life was very dramatic, it sort of romanticized the use of opiates at that time (IMO at the age of 13).

The book was a best seller in the 80's but after the 'success' she relapsed over and over again so she really never had a life. Basically everything she earned was spent in heroin.

Did you see the film of the same name that came out in 1981 with soundtrack by David Bowie? Very bleak, but also extremely cool and loaded with heroin chic. Now I think about it, that film merely served to reinforce my intentions to try heroin.

Did you see the film of the same name that came out in 1981 with soundtrack by David Bowie? Very bleak, but also extremely cool and loaded with heroin chic. Now I think about it, that film merely served to reinforce my intentions to try heroin.

This sounds right up my street this. Drug taking, Berlin, David Bowie soundtrack - I'm going to have to source this film ASAP.

Will also purchase the book for poolside reading on holiday in couple of weeks, ya beauty.

Yes FUBAR, I know the feeling. I saw the movie although it wasn't good if you read the book IMO.
But it definitely portrayed the effects of heroin with the best of David Bowie even in such low budget film.

I'm a walking cliché.
Listening to TVU - Heroin, Rolling Stones' Sister Morphine and Nirvana albums on repeat while smoking/shooting Heroin.

<3

Noel Gallagher shock his head at me as I tried to order at a pub in Primrose Hill while fucked on ketamine.

I decided I was more of a Blur fan and had another bump

Haha, i cant imagine him being all pious and judgmental about drugs, he'd be one of the hypocrits alive if he was, so i can only deduce from that that he must have dissaproved of your order, or the manner in which you ordered you order. Or maybe he doesnt like Ozzies/ New Zealand accents. Infact as its impossible to know why he shook his head its best to ignore it completely. That's increasingly becoming my motto for any dissaproval directed at me when the cause is not obvious.

I fucken blame lou reed for everything <3

I blame The Factory. I was thinking about starting up my very own version of the Factory™, just hang about like some kind of neo Warhol character wearing a wig, let people come in and take drugs and paint shit and be creative. Instead of printing and producing pop art paintings I'd paint the walls, bin everything and the next day the Factory™ will be back to normal, so it's like disposable art, it exists outside our minds for a short period of time only, did it really exist at all it the haze of a drug fueled art frenzy? Who knows. Anything goes in this place of mine, come hither...

The factory sounded a little brutal at times. Cool, but sorta intimidating.

I like the idea of alexander trocchi's "methedrine university" ;)

Definitely intimidating. Lots of weirdness and things that I probably wouldn't be comfortable with going on in all honesty. However, I see these kind of crazy cats as pioneers, pushing the boundaries and living their lives and being who they wanted to be at a time when it was less acceptable to be so expressive and counterculture movement was only beginning to manifest itself. I like that. Like the beats and the hippies, punk, new romanticism and the acid house scene, it's good when people want to be different.

I'll check 'methedrine university' out.