View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics with history of depression

GregSmith20

Greenlighter
I was diagnosed with dysthymia at around 13 years old - though it didn't seem that bad then. They just thought I seemed off. I stopped meds right before college and managed for awhile.
My depression did get worse in college though particularly after a personal "tragedy" of sorts.

Has anybody used psychedelics with a clinical diagnosis of depression successfully?

Hey there, i would say taking any kind of psychedelic wouldnt be a good idea while suffering from depression, i have had some bad experiences and it took me a while to get back to normal afterwards i wouldnt recommend it, however maybe you should look into ayahuasca as it can have wonderful healing effects and sometimes completely cure depression.

i think your mood at the time of the experience is more important than your average mood. just make sure to pay attention to set and setting. ime, as cliché as it sounds, a good trip really deeply helps with depression. i have had a few trips that changed my perspective on a few things for good.

i have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder and have had amazing trips. all the bad trips that i had were due to unfortunate events that happened during the trip and would've fucked up anyone's trip, depressive or not.

just don't be reckless

I tried LSA a few months ago and had symptoms that felt like early signs of epilepsy. Though I have not had any seizures.

I was diagnosed with dysthymia at around 13 years old - though it didn't seem that bad then. They just thought I seemed off. I stopped meds right before college and managed for awhile.
My depression did get worse in college though particularly after a personal "tragedy" of sorts.

Has anybody used psychedelics with a clinical diagnosis of depression successfully?
I have dysthymia like you (I meet so few people)! Although I guess it might've been shifted to major depression following my psychedelic abuse...

Anyway, if you're asking if it will cause a bad trip, no, a bad trip is more about your feelings at the time, who you are at the time (if you're currently dealing with some serious issues, wait), where you are, and what's going on around you. Depression itself won't cause you to have negative experiences, but taking psychedelics while in that moment being very depressed will cause you to have a bad time.

I think the biggest thing would be to not remain alone. I often found that when I was alone I could easily slip into negative thought spirals and get horribly depressed, I knew that it was psychedelics creating intense emotions and could even notice them and change them at times (and if it got bad). I would HEAVILY recommend CBT training (if you haven't had it) before using psychedelics as they can help you recognize and move those thought patterns.

Now, could it worsen the depression? Potentially, if you take it frequently (more than once every 1-2 months, especially at high doses), I would completely expect an eventual worsening of depression, at least that was the case with me. That said, I have heard of people who have had a sudden depression following psychedelic usage, even just once. This was not my case following my first usage, but these drugs can do crazy things.

If you want to try restarting an anti-depressant but don't want it to lock you out of psychedelics (SSRIs) try Wellbutrin. I've not read of any (actual) interaction nor have I witnessed any differences by those who have used psychedelics while on Wellbutrin.

Good luck, stay safe

Hello Greg,
It seems you had dysthymia for a long period. This kind of depression creates a co-morbid effects such as bipolar sometimes. Never use LSD which is mostly non-addictive but still in gives anxiety to your mood. Having psychedelics is not advisable as it produce hallucination effect differing from other kind of drugs. For people with dysthymia they feel low many times & they avoid being outside which May leads you to lose your all hope for cure. Hang out with people who cares you.
Get yourself engage in activities such as support group or in any helping organization. Still you would like to spend time for yourself, you can start playing music instruments or start any 'outdoor' games or do exercising with an agenda in mind. It is well & good that you have found what you have got.

You feel resistance while getting onto the treatment. It is natural and get yourself to the professional relief center. You probably tend to lose all your daily activities like jogging or rehearsing on having dysthymia, but have it in mind & never fail to do your daily activities.

I am on antidepressants. I take Wellbutrin and Seroquel to sleep.
I do wonder if the LSA made my depression worse..
It certainly did appear to do so in the short term. I'm not sure if it will get better or if it just brought up something I need to work through..

I had taken small doses of mushrooms before with little to no negative effects. The circumstances were a little different then though and I had not yet had my difficult experience with depression and possibly love if that's what you would call it.

I found LSA to be much much more invasive on my life than mushrooms.

Last edited:
Well for the record I think the LSA I took made my depression worse maybe forever. This was almost 6 momths ago that I took the LSA seeds.

So maybe that could be of use for somebody else considering doing the same.

Last edited:
I've gotten good results from psychedelic hallucinogens p. much every time, even when I've taken them while severely depressed.

I would advise against mushrooms, LSA, LSD, or any Research Chems.

If you are truly interested in trying to improve your depression by 'enlightenment via psychedelics' I would recommend getting your hands on some cactus. For me, any other psychs seem to intensify my current mood, so if you are depressed, mushrooms may tend to intensify that feeling while they are active in your brain.

Cactus seems to awaken me and alter my perspective for the better. The next day I always feel as though I have learned something about myself, I am a better person, and can live my life more fully than I could previously.

Hey there, i would say taking any kind of psychedelic wouldnt be a good idea while suffering from depression, i have had some bad experiences and it took me a while to get back to normal afterwards i wouldnt recommend it, however maybe you should look into ayahuasca as it can have wonderful healing effects and sometimes completely cure depression.
Agreed. Ayahuasca has the ability to repair neurological damage and links the rational self with the emotional self, bringing clarity and catharsis. The afterglow can last for weeks. It truly is the Spirit Vine and few other substances can give you the kind of teachings that Mother Ayahuasca can give to you.

I would advise against mushrooms, LSA, LSD, or any Research Chems.

If you are truly interested in trying to improve your depression by 'enlightenment via psychedelics' I would recommend getting your hands on some cactus. For me, any other psychs seem to intensify my current mood, so if you are depressed, mushrooms may tend to intensify that feeling while they are active in your brain.

Cactus seems to awaken me and alter my perspective for the better. The next day I always feel as though I have learned something about myself, I am a better person, and can live my life more fully than I could previously.
San Pedro is very enlightening and friendly. Mushrooms can be, too, though.

Are you aware I'm on psych drugs though? Ayuasca would be dangerous with med.

Cactus seems interesting.

Honestly I had the safest experience with mushrooms. I'm not sure if I was on meds or not then. I suspect not.

I've gotten good results from psychedelic hallucinogens p. much every time, even when I've taken them while severely depressed.

For me, it depends more on what I'm in a bad mood about rather than whether I'm in one. Sometimes, I've come to see that what was bothering me was nothing to be concerned with. Though a few times, there was something that bothered me on a low level and caused the experience to be a more difficult one because I realized that it actually was something to be bothered by.

If you have depression, anxiety, or any other mental illness you should not be taking psychedelic drugs or self medicating with any illegal drugs, or even legal ones like Kratom, Kava, etc. Instead see a therapist, and get on medications if it's that bad. Good luck.

My name is Malek, and I've been looking for ages now, for something which will affect, on at least SOME scale, many of the issues from which I have been ailing. To make a long story, VERY SHORT ---> Looking to get my 'self' back, and am tired, oh so tired, after years of struggle (still very real) and taking all sorts of psych meds, spending thousands on all sorts of blood tests, scans, supplements, and "drugs,", and still no better off, just worse. Just came off Lamictal a few weeks ago, and am taking a medication vacation. If I can bear the angst of doing so, within the next weeks, I'll be trying mushrooms for the first time, to see if somehow, this will alleviate some of my issues. Very seriously interested in micro-dosing, since I've learned of all of the positive research on the subject.
In 2005 I sustained a TBI in Afghanistan, and have since been diagnosed with C-PTSD among a slough of other DSM 'labels'. I'm just really wanting to get my 'self' back, and essentially, to be able to see the purpose of life, and the beauty that it once had, and to no longer subject my family to emotional/relational neglect, and bring my self back to reality, rid of dissociation, the anxieties, and what is actually somewhat of a paranoia that so much anxiety over so long has given me. You speak of MDA as something which can connect the user, to themselves, and the environment. This makes me very curious about its possible benefits. Of course, where the hell does one get the stuff? No idea. In any case, I'm curious to hear about your personal experiences with this, or any other non-pharmaceutical which you feel has helped you with connectedness and love of self. Never tried really any type of non-doctor prescribed drug, until about a year ago. Had an old military buddy suggest that I try marijuana, as he figured it might help me. Well, after using that 9-10 times, and having some good, some bad experiences, and one F-ED off experience (psychosis for about 3 days -- BAD), I decided that, I need to look elsewhere. I'm thinking of giving MJ a try again, and to do A LOT of research about specific strains. I do have this thought about MJ, and I conclude that I don't want to be high all the time to feel more normal, or myself. MJ in fact, didn't really grant me either of those things. I digress...
I've looked into Ayahuasca, LSD, DMT, Ketamine, and other things, and quite frankly, I'm nowhere near the risk taker I used to be, and am quite weary of taking it upon myself to find or do these things without 'professional assistance', and of course, most of these things are illegal. Really, when it comes to the legality of such things, that's not my primary concern. It's where to get it FROM TRUSTED SOURCES. Got a buddy of mine getting mushrooms, and am going to try that out, but I'm also worried, as I've read that people with a history of mental illness shouldn't try these things. Do you have any thoughts about that concerning any hallucinogens?
I'm new to this site, but intend on posting around over the next week or 2, to see about becoming more knowledgeable about all of this. It's time to reclaim 'me.'

What I mainly wanted to relay is that, due to what I can only describe as cognitive decline and an increasingly depressing inability to deal with stress and 'life', my life has, over the past few years become nearly completely unpleasant, mostly unmanageable, and things only seem to be worsening (life really just does not seem worthwhile, AT ALL, most days, and is a sort of a trans-literal 'hell'). Most days I'm so f'ed out of my mind that I cannot think straight, process information well or at all, comprehend even the most basic concepts, and I have to go through life essentially faking everything, as to seem the most normal version of my'self' as possible and to not seem odd, obtuse, rude or just straight up crazy. And then, every once in a while, with no warning of onset, for who knows why or how, I'll experience brief moments of mental clarity, where I feel relatively normal, and like I CAN take on the world's challenges, and I look FORWARD to social engagements, and I DO see the beauty in things, and I DO feel rather connected to those within my presence and I DO feel connected with reality, and I DO HAVE A SENSE OF SELF. These occurrences happen once of twice a month and last for 10 minutes, up to as long as 1 hour.

Of course, there are many other things to discuss, like, the impacts these issues have on my life, other health ailments, such as insomnia (its affects), and so on.

Anyway -- I said I'd keep it short. That's short. If you're still available on this forum, and are willing and wishing to discuss these things further, that would be great. Hope to hear from you.

P.S. I've recently applied to MAPS to be involved in their MDMA studies, and may be going to the Nee Haven Vet Center in Connecticut next month for an intensive Ketamine trial study. I'm looking into other things as well, such as psilocybin, LSD, and other things, but for now, given the legality of those things, and my uneasiness about trying them (as to not fuck myself up beyond all repair), I'm easing into this stuff slowly.

So, to reiterate the OP's original post ---> HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED GRAND BENEFIT FROM TAKING HALLUCINOGENS OR PYS'S TO TREAT DEPRESSION, PTSD, ANXIETY, OR DISSOCIATIVE DISORDERS?

Hey Peabody,

Thank you. I'll be delving into that link over the next days.

Big preesh!