View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethanol as dissociative, equivalence to ketamine/DXM

Renald

Bluelighter
I like drug equivalence themes. Ethanol is known as weak NMDA receptor antagonist. Can we compare ethanol NMDA antagonism to ketamine/DXM? Any attempts to compare dissociative ethanol effect to ketamine/DXM?

I

I don't think there is really much of an equivalency to be honest. Different effects on the mind, different effects on the body, different effects on perception. I personally find dissociatives much more similar to psychedelics than to alcohol. Maybe someone who only used them for social lubrication would see some connection, though.

Yeah, from what I understand, you have to get to pretty high b.a.c before before you get much nmda antagonism/dissociative effects, although it may vary from person to person.

While the effects of alcohol may be superficially similar to those of dissociatives (i.e. changes in motor function), I'd be loath to equivocate their mechanisms.

I Never Ever Knew That Alcohol Had Any NMDA Atogonism But I Still Think that Magnesium is a better Choice I Also Read Zinc Supplements Seem To Help Prevent Tolerance And Is A Suspect Light-NMDA Atogonist!

Alcohol has a distinct anti depressent/happy effect that benzos don 't have.....this antidepressant effect can be comparable to the antidepressant effect of a dxm dose afterglow. its just a thougthhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dissociatives sometimes have a manic/psychedelic edge, by contrast alcohol removes all edges. Dissociatives make me super cold a numb, alcohol has a warm numbness. Also at high doses of dissociatives i lose all ability to communicate effectively, alcohol makes me too social at high doses. Very different drugs mentally i'd say, though as far as bodily effects both inhibit motor skills and cause numbness.