• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

October Getting/Staying Sober/Clean Thread v. OctSOBER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting clean tonight..did my last shot at around 1:30, gonna take my sub around 5-6 am tomorrow morning. Can't wait to have a bunch of clean time again, I love the feeling of being able to say MONTHS or YEARS, it feels so good. Thanks for being an inspiration guys.

Congratulations on the decision to get back on suboxone, gotit :)

and congrats memphis. that's really amazing. :)

I will have two months clean of all drugs on the 16th! And on the 19th I'll be celebrating my first sober birthday in over five years. Woot Woot!

I will have two months clean of all drugs on the 16th! And on the 19th I'll be celebrating my first sober birthday in over five years. Woot Woot!

congrats!! :)

That's a really great milestone to achieve is a sober birthday. :D

1 year and 1 day sober off of ALL mind altering chemicals.

thank you god.

Congratulations Memphis! 1 year sober! :) :) :)
Thanks to you, to your strength, will power, God - why not. Great achievement!

You should have a medal or buy yourself a treat something symbolic, important.
You deserve it.
I'm getting there soon.. 1 day at a time!!

Congratulations to all. Great thread!

Wow, wow, wow. What a week it has been for me. I ended up getting terrible food poisoning on Sunday. I couldn't go to work on Monday. I had to go in for the rest of the week because it was only my second week at my new job. I finally felt symptom free yesterday. It was brutal and I felt like I was dope sick. During it all, I kept telling myself "I used to go through this constantly over and over again, I am so grateful I don't live like that anymore."

So, as many know, I have been struggling with the breakup with my ex. For those who do not know the story it goes a little something like this:

She relapses, I push treatment, she goes and buys in, stops seeing me often to hang out with other recovering women, I tell her that I need to see her more, we try to make it work, eventually she breaks up with me, then we go no contact and about a month ago she blocks me on everything.

So yesterday I am at a meeting for the first time (first time at the meeting). Its a huge meeting, 100+ people, maybe 200-300. I am looking over the balcony and then turn around. Right as I do that she sits down a few rows back of me. I say her name and smile, she smiles back and says hello. A few awkward seconds pass and then she comes up and talks to me. I am very nervous but I practiced this, I can tell she is very nervous as well. I apologize for my part in this (basically, I was texting her "messages of support" which they were, but also self serving) she says that she was not "strong enough" to tell me she wasn't ready for a relationship right now and that she feels ashamed of that. We both tell each other its okay. We have some small talk, she is doing well. I can still see she is nervous and feels bad for how she handled the situation. She says we will talk after the meeting. During the meeting I calm down and really have some realizations about many things. I feel a big sense of comfort. It was nice to know she was not angry with me.

The meeting ends and I go outside and she is talking to her friends, I think for a minute and then decide to say "hey, do you want to talk for a little bit, you can totally say no if you do not want too." She says yes. She again says she is embarrassed, I tell her its the last thing that I want for her. I tell her that she is doing too well for herself for me to want to throw her off. We tell each other we care for each other, I tell her I am proud of her again. I say eventually I would like to go out for coffee or dinner with her when she is ready and she says she wants that. I end up going home and writing a letter that I will give to her next week.

I felt so relieved and at peace after this that I cannot put it into words. It was like a weight that had been on me since June was lifted. I was able to breathe a huge sigh of relief.

It is crazy that at a huge meeting, she sat 2 rows back from me. I wouldn't have gone to this meeting unless it was recommended to me by two people that I randomly met. The universe has a method to its madness. I believe that it was its intention that we see each other at the time. It was enough time for me to cool down and really work on accepting the relationship was over before I ran into her. Also, the steps were a huge help for me. I wouldn't have handled it so well without them. I am just much less self-centered because of them.

Just another experience that I went through and stayed clean. Pain leads to growth for me. Being uncomfortable and handling it gives me strength. Its not easy, but it has never ever not been worth it.

1 year, 4 months, 27 days (514 days) clean from all mind and mood altering drugs.

good shit right here.

god, the universe, whatever it is will bless you with everything you need when he feels you are ready.

i am finishing up my fourth step and am going to write down what i feel is needed for a "working" relationship (as suggested by my sponsor) after i finish up my sex inventory (last thing i need for my 4th step).

I have a few women i am "talking" to or "dating" and i am very open with them with everything and its an everyday struggle to do things without self seeking motives (especially with sexual situations) it can be very difficult.

i think you handled yourself, and the situation great.

acceptance is such a key part of my recovery. i have learned that once i see a problem for what it is, evaluate my part in it and what i have done wrong and honestly come to terms with it then i can move on to acceptance and moving past said problem.

my sponsor has often told me that if i feel comfortable then odds are im doing something wrong and i have found this to be true. its crazy the personal negativity we keep ourselves in just because its comfortable. what i find/found comfortable is what got me in this mess in the first place.

as soon as i read your post i instantly thought "the program is strong in this one"...RESPECT

keep your side of the street clean and stay cool.

-Memphis

Although i'm all for a month of sobriety these sober October type gimmicks don't sit well with me for some reason. Seems like your just setting yourself up for Cant Remember November.

I packed in the cocaine habit and other stimulants, meth, amphetamine. I've been having a couple of beers most nights and alot of weed but feeling infinitely better already, mentally clearer. It is probably unwise I've been thinking mixing the mania of stimulants with my bipolar condition. I still have a bit of love for meth, cocaine just got boring. However they're not worth it anymore, the high on life feel is worth more and i'm better off just dining on some quality cannabis instead.

Although i'm all for a month of sobriety these sober October type gimmicks don't sit well with me for some reason. Seems like your just setting yourself up for Cant Remember November.

I packed in the cocaine habit and other stimulants, meth, amphetamine. I've been having a couple of beers most nights and alot of weed but feeling infinitely better already, mentally clearer. It is probably unwise I've been thinking mixing the mania of stimulants with my bipolar condition. I still have a bit of love for meth, cocaine just got boring. However they're not worth it anymore, the high on life feel is worth more and i'm better off just dining on some quality cannabis instead.

the reason these aren't gimicky is because 1.) it shows others that it can work, thus encouraging them to keep at it. 2.)the past is history, the future is a mystery...why dwell on either. Also, that is a good sentiment. "they are not worth it anymore"

One amazing thing that has happened for me recently on my path to continuing sobriety is that I am prescribed benzos for panic disorder and OCD. Now that I am sober, I worry so much less, I have less obsessive thoughts that lead to compulsions. I rarely if ever have a huge panic attack. I have pretty much stopped taking the xanax (I also give it to someone to dispense to me because I know my own limitations). This is amazing. In spite of negative things happening I have actually retained my sobriety.

This is the other thing I wanted to say. When my ex was pulling the same underhanded things with my relationship with my son before I would have settled it by using. Now I came on here, vented a little, got some advice, and I made it through those painful feelings without feeling the need to numb myself. I have come a long way.

To everyone in this thread. I hope october is a month that you feel stronger than september in. I know I do.

To somni. It is so glad to see you on here! It has been a long time since we touched base.

PS: My birthday is Halloween, and I will have one year sober on Nov 4th...that is the best birthday present I could ever recieve ; Rekindled hope. I am truly ecstatic.

Last edited:
took my sub at 5:30 this morning. took .5 mg, and i still feel kimd of shitty but not as bad as cold turkey of course. just took .5 more, and am appreciating the fact i at least have sub. lookimg forward to getting this day over with lol

congrats gotit4cheap. A fast taper on suboxone could be extremely helpful. Just remember that eventually you will have to pay the piper (go through some sort of withdrawal and experience cravings). I know you can do it! You have already started taking strides forward.

Do you have a support network built around you?

congrats gotit4cheap. A fast taper on suboxone could be extremely helpful. Just remember that eventually you will have to pay the piper (go through some sort of withdrawal and experience cravings). I know you can do it! You have already started taking strides forward.

Do you have a support network built around you?

thanks buddy! yeah this summer i did like a 5 day short taper when i went to a music festival, and by day 5 i was forgetting to take my sub and was feeling great. maybe that was the acid though lolol. The problem for me is definitely gonna be the cravings, but I got the hardest part over with- for me it was always taking that sub the first day.

And honestly, i have like zero support lol. besides you bad muhfuckas no one knows i'm doing this, except maybe one of my friends that is still using but I don't want to talk to him as he can be a bad influence. I know it's not good, Idk though I feel like Im not much of a meeting person. I need to fix the problem that drove me to my addiction not just put a bandaid over it.

Hey Captain... when did you go from BL Ambassador to Moderator for Sober Living???? I think it is great... and congrats on all your work staying clean.. I see you are coming up on a year clean so just know I am praying for you!

Today is a sad day for me.... my cat died at 16 years old...I feel bad :(

Today is a sad day for me.... my cat died at 16 years old...I feel bad :(

oh goodness :( I'm so sorry veodo

I can only imagine what you're going through. pets are family. <3 <3

Hey Captain... when did you go from BL Ambassador to Moderator for Sober Living???? I think it is great... and congrats on all your work staying clean.. I see you are coming up on a year clean so just know I am praying for you!

I guess today? :) Thanks so much p0kemama!!!

thanks buddy! yeah this summer i did like a 5 day short taper when i went to a music festival, and by day 5 i was forgetting to take my sub and was feeling great. maybe that was the acid though lolol. The problem for me is definitely gonna be the cravings, but I got the hardest part over with- for me it was always taking that sub the first day.

And honestly, i have like zero support lol. besides you bad muhfuckas no one knows i'm doing this, except maybe one of my friends that is still using but I don't want to talk to him as he can be a bad influence. I know it's not good, Idk though I feel like Im not much of a meeting person. I need to fix the problem that drove me to my addiction not just put a bandaid over it.

This is a great attitude to have, to face the issues head-on. :)

Meetings can be a tool in facing these issues, but it doesn't have to be a tool you use. I don't go to meetings but I think they're a wonderful resource for people like myself who need extra support.

Do you have any family to count on? Any sober friends who support your recovery?

Congratulations on your transition to Suboxone! Let us know how it goes for you.

Today is my birthday and I will be sober. I'm in Europe and don't have access to anything. Even if I wanted. My birthday is always a shitty day for me. Today is no different. It always seems like the universe is against me on this day. It won't be hard to stay sober today. The real challenge begins when I go back home in a month.

Happy Birthday, Whiplash! Welcome to Bluelight! I hope the fact you are sober today makes you feel just a little happier.:D

Happy birthday whiplash! Here is hoping that this year brings you strength, experience and good cheer.

In my other posts I stated that I am prescribed xanax for panic attacks/anxiety and temazepam to sleep. I still have incredibly bad nightmares. I woke up from one such nightmare at 3:30am this morning and proceeded to go into a full blown panic attack. I started to reach for .5mg of xanax to help me through it, but I decided to try some breathing exercises instead. I learned them from my psychotherapist. It is called heart mathematics. You find your pulse, and breath in for a set number of beats, and breath out for the same amount of beats. It worked, I didn't need to take the xanax. I actually overcame an episode of panic that I would rank 5/10 on my scale (0 being playing with a kitten, 10 being fight or flight because you are in imminent danger) without needing a benzo to calm me down. Also, I did a suggestion that I got from NeverSickAnymore. I put my hands in the air and just said "god please take this from me". I did that when it was winding down and it really felt like a weight was lifted from my shoulders.

I guess each day I grow stronger and more able to cope with problems. Getting and staying sober has been amazing.

@gotit4cheap. I am here for you man. When I was in newyork I had pretty much zero support while I was getting clean which led me right back to using, drinking, womanizing and not managing my mental health. It is very important to have a support network set up. Think of that as being the net beneath you while you are walking the highwire that is early recovery. If you ever need some experience strength and hope, please feel free to PM me. I will always listen, and I will always write you back.

To everyone that stayed sober yesterday, and are planning on doing the same today. I am right there with you, and I am cheering you on from the sidelines.

Today I've decided to quit smoking weed, It has been very rough on me lately.
I need my head to be clear again and get shit done in life! a bit late, but i'm in :D

Status
Not open for further replies.