• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

October Getting/Staying Sober/Clean Thread v. OctSOBER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you did but you wouldn't be the first person. :)

My advice is to be ready to go through hell. I would advise not working and not going to school for a while, until you're past 1-3 months and feel ready to resume these things. I would suggest you move out of your current location and into a new area when you want to get clean. It's not easy being in the same area you used to use in, and I can attest to this. It's also important to have a support network set up, friends or family who can help you through things when you don't feel able to do it yourself. Little things, like cleaning up the house, going to the grocery store, even walking a pet dog, can seem impossible or completely too painful during opiate withdrawal. I'm sure you know that from personal experience already, but some people just aren't prepared for it. It's also vital to have healthy activities ready: good food, books to read, sports/exercise, watching television or movies, things to keep your mind happy without drugs.

It sounds like you have a hard time with this. Just make sure to focus on spending enough time on yourself; you're worth it! :)

NMI and TDS will always be there. Visit when you have time. Make yourself and your sobriety your #1 priority. Best advice I can give you.

You're doing great, keep up the progress!
Yes, I'm having a really difficult time with this and I apologize for the long reponses I've made but "talking" about it helps me so much. Thanks again for all of your kindness, caring and support<3. I know it's going to be hard but I REALLY want this more then anything I've ever wanted in my life.

The odd thing? What I feel will be the hardest for me is just merely looking in the mirror to do my hair and makeup....simple things like that (something you fortunately don't have to go through...haha:)). While taking opiates, I see myself so differently. I feel beautiful and like I can do anything. When I'm not? I feel disgusting and don't care what I look like. Deep inside I do but I just don't even care to try. This is one aspect of drug useage that I don't understand.

I know I'm going to be going down probably the toughest "road" I've ever gone down in my entire life. A part of me is scared. Another a little excited but that's getting less as the time is coming nearer to go. And yet another, just curious. It's almost like I feel like I won't "know me" anymore if that makes any sense. I almost feel childish. I'm a 40 year old grown woman and have never once had any drug issues until the last few years.

Anyway, I'm going to try hard to think of it this way. At 40, I'm nearly "middle aged" (haha:)) and I went nearly all of those 40 years without using or abusing drugs or alcohol so if I stop now I've only "wasted" around 3 years of my 40 years of life and will still have (hopefully) at least 40 more years of my life left yet to enjoy for real happiness that doesn't involve the use of a pill to obtain:)

I have to go with stargazer on this one bernc. Why make something that is darn near one of the hardest things you will do in your life even harder. It is akin to letting your best friend die in your arms. Take comfort meds and build up some support. I too am honest with my doctor and he made sure I got the resources I needed. I detoxed a number of times in jail...ugh that is literally the worst place to do it. You have so much time on your hands to get bogged down in the miasma of self loathing that comes from constantly going over and over in your mind the things you have done wrong.

My best suggestion is to go to a detox center. They will help you to feel comfortable through your withdrawals.

Also, a negative attitude is going to be counterproductive. Try to find joy in your life. Fill your heart with sweet memories. Don't dwell, reminisce on good times that didn't involve using....and force yourself to realize that you can have them in your hands and mind again.

@CH. Yeah PAWS is rough and hits different people differently. I have OCD and panic disorder. I had so many panic attacks and my compulsions and obsessive thoughts became so unbearable that I couldn't go out in public. I was afraid people would think I was crazy...well because I thought I was crazy. I felt some doom and gloom, but it was mostly the insane anxiety that had me going crazier than a shit house rat. It took a few months, two of which were in rehab, and one at home to slowly be able to go outside my door...then to the mailbox, then down the block...it was a slow process and took a lot of work. I had to get used to feeling uncomfortable and learn how to mitigate those feelings that I had used to suppress. I have a similar amount of clean time as you and I still have a hard time leaving the house, however, I have made progress on this front. I too haven't gone back to work, but I have filled my time with other responsibilities as well...ie my step dad had heart surgery so I took care of him for a couple months, and my granny broke her hip (I know, cliched right?) So I walk her dogs everyday. Have you tried talking to a doctor, or seeing a therapist? Those have really helped me along...it is hard work and I know from reading your previous posts that you are in this for the long haul. I too shot subutex for years, and it really messed my mentality up...but it slowly gets better...hang in there. If you ever need someone to vent to, PM me. I have a huge ear.

@rio fantistic. People places and things my friend. This is so true. As CH says change your location because there will be an insane amount of triggers there....It is true: If you hang around the barber shop long enough you are going to get a haircut. The biggest piece of advice I can give you about early recovery is that you need some sort of support network, be it family, group therapy, or even fellowship in NA and AA. Those people will not only understand you better than you understand yourself but will be able to notice when you slip into relapse mentality. Also, if you slip, don't get down on yourself...make sure to pick yourself up and keep trying. The only failure is when you give up. It took me four years of trying different things to get any amount of clean time under my belt, and I slipped up a lot.
Thank you so much for your input, manboychef:). This is by far the best support I have ever had while enduring anything within my entire life and all due to the kindness of strangers that I somehow feel I TRULY know:). It's a wonderful feeling. Something I've never had. Everything I ever went through that has been tough for me in life? I've had to endure it alone. Especially once I lost my 2 best friends....my parents.

It wasn't worth it at all to make myself suffer to the max for a few hours but then as I said I ended up overdoing it by including alcohol in the mix which is why I read the advise I got last night but didn't respond to it because it would've been all "alcohol talk".

I'm also sorry that you too (like Stargazer) had to detox in jail. I can't even begin to fathom what that must have felt like:(. Geez, if I go 24 hours while inside my own home I feel like I'm going to completely lose my mind.

As for going to a detox center? I wish I could but my insurance won't cover it and I can't afford it:(. One day last month I must've spent 5 hours on the phone making calls to places even far away. All were just like, "Oh, well I'm sorry but we don't accept that. Call this #. They might". Well none did and I just gave up:(.

The worst part? I was never a negative person. Growing up and up until a few years ago I was always happy. No matter what the circumstances were. I unknowingly married a drug addict (mostly h), he beat the hell out of me about once per month but said he did it because he "loved me too much". And I even "bought" that. How ridiculous. And I still remained a woman who never lost her smile and always thrived on making others laugh and be happy. That's not me at all now. I avoid people and places at all costs.

What you wrote to Captain Heroin? That all sounds a lot like me too. It never was before though. Somehow I now feel like I "stand out" yet I'm just an average woman and I'm sure I don't. I actually even get "hit on" a lot. You know what though? That makes me even more afraid to leave my home. Crazy, right? When I MUST go out, I just want to be "invisible". Yet if I have a lot of my pills in me? I'm so different. Sure, I can "talk" on here but in person? Only if I have my pink pills in me. Then I'm "Miss Personality".

That scares me the most. What am I going to do while "clean"? I spend most of my time in a large bathroom in my house. I used to go on Facebook all the time. I now see that I'm getting messages asking if I'm ok because I am legit sick. I choose to it ignore them all though.. My reason? I know I can't be a friend to my "normal" friends. I mean I can. 2 or 3 weeks out of each month. So then every so often, I will go on...change my picture or add a picture and tell all that I'm fine but I've just been extremely tired and busy with Drs Appts. Which IS somewhat factual. If I get a text I say; "Oh, did you text me? I didn't get it. Sorry, something must be wrong with my phone because several people have told me the same thing."

That all makes me feel HORRIBLE as I despise lying to the upmost degree so I feel like the biggest hypocrite in the world.

Anyway, thanks again for your advise and for your support:). And to you (and to all else on here) feel free to private message me anytime. Right now you are the only group of people that I feel I can connect with. As Captain said about my choice to not go on NMI or TDS right now my reason isn't so much about the drug talk. Right now I just don't feel like I'm in any position to give advise which is something I usually love to do. Something that hopefully I will be ABLE to feel I can do again sometime really soon<3

Last edited:
^^^

There comes a point where the costs really do not matter and one must just stop using. If that involves going to a detox without insurance then so be it.

As for figuring out what to do while clean, just focus on not using today. I suggest going to AA/NA and asking that question to some people.

I have way way more fun today then I did when using. Sure I had some great times using (most were over 5 years ago) but my life was hell on earth. Also, its much much easier to keep myself entertained nowadays.

But anyways, my major suggestion is this: Just focus on not using today and do whatever that takes. It will feel uncomfortable, but I'd bet it will be worth it in the end. It was/is for me!

------

1 year and 5 and a half months clean today. Cannot fucking believe it. I know there is simply no way I would be clean today if I didn't focus on it 100 percent, stay away from all mind and mood altering drugs and work a fucking program.

Finally got good insurance again so I am going to see my old therapist again and get to a pysch. I stopped my wellbutrin and am cutting back on the seroquel (I take it for sleep, goal is to get off entirely). Just one 20 milligrams of celexa right now.

The Wellbutrin and Celexa combo really helped at first dealing with the early post withdrawal depression and fatigue. However, it has been long enough IMO. I have no plans to stop the Celexa though.

Relationship drama seems to be getting better. The therapist will really help with that. I still miss her, I still love her, I still want her back but its just not going to happen. I know it will get easier with time. So so embarrassing to be going through my first real breakup when I am in my early 30s....

------

AA Thought for the Day:

Fifth, I have learned to live one day at a time. I have finally realized the great fact that all I have is now. This sweeps away all vain regret and it makes my thoughts of the future free of fear. Now is mine. I can do what I want with it. I own it, for better or worse. What I do now, in this present moment, is what makes up my life. My whole life is only a succession of nows. I will take this moment, which has been given to me by the grace of God, and I will do something with it. What I do with each now will make me or break me. Am I living in the now?

AA Meditation for the day:

We should work at overcoming our selfish desires, our self-centeredness and ourselves. This can never be fully accomplished. We can never become entirely unselfish. But we can come to realize that we are not at the center of the universe and that everything does not revolve around us at the center. I am only one cell in a vast network of human cells. I can at least make the effort to conquer the self-life and seek daily to obtain more and more of this self-conquest. "He that overcomes himself is greater than he who conquers a city."

AA Prayer for the Day:

I pray that I may strive to overcome my selfishness. I pray that I may achieve the right perspective of my position in the world.

Last edited:
^^^

There comes a point where the costs really do not matter and one must just stop using. If that involves going to a detox without insurance then so be it.

As for figuring out what to do while clean, just focus on not using today. I suggest going to AA/NA and asking that question to some people.

I have way way more fun today then I did when using. Sure I had some great times using (most were over 5 years ago) but my life was hell on earth. Also, its much much easier to keep myself entertained nowadays.

But anyways, my major suggestion is this: Just focus on not using today and do whatever that takes. It will feel uncomfortable, but I'd bet it will be worth it in the end. It was/is for me!

------

1 year and 5 and a half months clean today. Cannot fucking believe it. I know there is simply no way I would be clean today if I didn't focus on it 100 percent, stay away from all mind and mood altering drugs and work a fucking program.

Finally got good insurance again so I am going to see my old therapist again and get to a pysch. I stopped my wellbutrin and am cutting back on the seroquel (I take it for sleep, goal is to get off entirely). Just one 20 milligrams of celexa right now.

The Wellbutrin and Celexa combo really helped at first dealing with the early post withdrawal depression and fatigue. However, it has been long enough IMO. I have no plans to stop the Celexa though.

Relationship drama seems to be getting better. The therapist will really help with that. I still miss her, I still love her, I still want her back but its just not going to happen. I know it will get easier with time. So so embarrassing to be going through my first real breakup when I am in my early 30s....

------

AA Thought for the Day:

Fifth, I have learned to live one day at a time. I have finally realized the great fact that all I have is now. This sweeps away all vain regret and it makes my thoughts of the future free of fear. Now is mine. I can do what I want with it. I own it, for better or worse. What I do now, in this present moment, is what makes up my life. My whole life is only a succession of nows. I will take this moment, which has been given to me by the grace of God, and I will do something with it. What I do with each now will make me or break me. Am I living in the now?

AA Meditation for the day:

We should work at overcoming our selfish desires, our self-centeredness and ourselves. This can never be fully accomplished. We can never become entirely unselfish. But we can come to realize that we are not at the center of the universe and that everything does not revolve around us at the center. I am only one cell in a vast network of human cells. I can at least make the effort to conquer the self-life and seek daily to obtain more and more of this self-conquest. "He that overcomes himself is greater than he who conquers a city."

AA Prayer for the Day:

I pray that I may strive to overcome my selfishness. I pray that I may achieve the right perspective of my position in the world.
Oh wow, for starters, I didn't think that all of what I wrote to each individual person would show up in a row but there were certain things that I wanted to comment back to each one of you. Sorry:)

Phactor, you're a true inspiration too<3. All that clean time? That's just awesome!!! You definitely "got it" and I DO believe that my life would be so much better not using. My pain level is exactly the same. If anything (to be honest?) it's worse. Initially the prescribed meds were for my neck and back. Then they were solely for my legs and the pain that comes from having RSD is neurological. Imagine (and I'm not exaggerating at all but this is the only way I can describe the feeling), rubbing acid on your legs and then placing them in fire. It DOES hurt like hell but when I withdraw? I'd take the acid/burning feeling any day of the week over the wds. Maybe some with RSD would not agree with me and can take them properly but I can't.

Most of my meds are psych meds yet they aren't being prescribed for psych issues but rather are the type of meds that "help" multiple problems. The fact is though that I could use them for their psychological purposes as well. As I said, I do see a psychiatrist but I know a therapist is much needed for me right now too as I am "broken" in many ways. Physically going from an avid runner, biker and hiker to a "nothing" because I can't and really, I can't. I need to put effort into finding new life fulfilling hobbies though:). It saddened me so much this summer when I was unable to go to a local huge amusement park in my area. Go figure. Super small town yet has one of the "voted best" amusement parks just 10 miles away from where I live. The thing is though is that I could have and just walked slowly but last summer I was riding the roller coasters and all the crazy rides and I can't do that anymore due to my neck and back. So to go from being a 40 year old "kid" (who even gets carded for cigs...I LOVE that and can't believe some people actually get pissed:)?!?!) who last year was going for an 8 mile hike, then racing around a park and jumping on rides then going to work and coming home in the morning and going for a swim. Well, it's been quite a change...especially to all take place within a year. So yes, I definitely need a therapist since I then became a "loner" and don't do anything now.

As for the treatment centers? I did even ask if I could pay out of pocket even if it was over a period of time (my finances aren't extremely low, they just aren't the best) and all said no. I feel that is SO wrong since I was practically begging these people for help. In most cases (and if I was on the other side of the fence and someone was asking for my input? I'd say, "Well, if you found the money to buy the drugs then find it to get help"....worded more nicely of course. But again, I never bought pills. I didn't go broke over pills, lose my house, my car....etc etc. Sadly, so many do. As for my relationships? I think that stems from something deeper. I even wrote a poem about it on "Words" if you want to check it out. I also wrote about my addiction. Writing helps me so I suppose that could be a hobby but my poems and writings are all "dark". I even have a written collection at home. Not the greatest yet something that allows me to get my emotions out and makes me feel good. I'd say the best I've written though was one I wrote on here about my abusive marriage. And it only takes me about 3 minutes. My feelings just rush out. But since they are all "dark", maybe it's not such a great idea.

I used to always paint too and at that? I must say I was damn good:). Clean? I was a cleaning fanatic. And cooking. It's odd because when someone makes me stop and really think? There are things I can still do and I need to focus on that and as is said being clean whether it's day by day, hour by hour or minute by minute. Sometimes I wonder if I could've tapered. Just chatting on here? 2 hours or more passed and I didn't even realize it:).

Due to not being able to go to rehab though I am going to go with the flow tomorrow and if the suboxone doctor thinks it's a good idea for me then I'm going to do it. I'm kind of afraid he may think a taper is better though and even though I've often wondered if I could? The biggest goal I need to overcome is being true to myself. So in answer to that? I don't think I'd be able to do it. Just like my relationships. I'd be told kind words. I knew deep inside that the only 2 men I ever truly loved weren't good for me yet I'd choose to believe their words even though I knew they were lies. My head was slammed so many times back and forth into a concrete wall all because I went out with friends (women) but wasn't allowed to go out if he was at work....that blood poured from my nose and ears and was then carried and layed in bed (missing work) for nearly 2 days. Shortly after I turned to ways to make myself be "happy". He'd cry and hold me and tell me he loved me too much and was afraid to lose me (he was cheated on by his ex wife but I've never cheated on him or the other abusive one) and did it because he was beaten as a child and I believed it all. After I'd be beaten? I'd feel sad for him and wipe away his tears as I sat with black eyes.

As for NA or AA? I would do that as well but just not in my town. I went once with my brother to be there to support him because he was afraid to go alone (I'm the baby of the family by 14 years but always "took care" of my siblings) and I knew nearly everyone there. I don't want that. That's another problem of mine. People think I'm "perfect" besides my illnesses and I'm far from it. Yet I care about my reputation. Should I? Or should I just say "Screw it. Let them know that sometimes we all have a little something that we keep hidden"? That I don't know.

Anyway, again...thanks for the input:). I am sorry to learn about your relationship though. I wish I could say that I was still in my early 30's as you because you have plenty of time to work on you more and then either fix your broken relationship (if possible) or else form a new one eventually whereas I hate the feeling of being alone yet I hate bars and social gatherings so once you're a certain age where do you meet "good" people? BUT, I DO need to just focus on me right now. It would just be wonderful to have someone here for the support. I'm certainly not going to get that from the last 2 men I was with though and I need to "pound it" (instead of them doing it for me) into my own head.

Lastly, I loved the 2 quotes but especially the AA one. You're definitely "working the program" and working it HARD and I don't even have to know you to say I admire you to the fullest extent:)!! Keep going....and I know you will:)!!

Much luck, love and happiness is wished to you<3!!!

Last edited:
11 months, 3 weeks, 3 days

not suicidally depressed, but still depressed. Not all the time though, I have good parts of days. :)

CH, I can relate to that. Periods that I'm sad/depressed.
I don't meant to be invasive but were you depressed since you stopped or were you already depressed before quitting?

I keep waking up a four thirty.
may morning always goes....wakeup...push play on this song. (trip hop is amazing)

Make my morning cup. This is me cos of the song=D=D=D=D=D
sit on my porch as I listen to my soul and trip hop. While I sip coffee, and take a few drags on a Black And Mild.

Sit down at computer, check out bluelight. Then I write a little music.

bernc. Get into a routine that doesn't involve using. It helps.

Traffic was bad today on my way into work, I decided to take a shortcut. Bad idea, took me through some old neighborhoods where I knew I could easily cop. I wasn't going to act on it, but I kept thinking how "nice it would be to use". Funny thing is, it wouldn't be nice, it would be terrible for many many reasons. Most importantly because I am an addict and cannot use without basically risking my life every single time.

So I basically had to blast some DnB and just power through it. I was and am having a great morning though! I feel very good today and am very proud I got through another test.

Over 1 and a half years later and I still struggle with this. Granted its much easier and I was never really at risk but its still alarming. Going to a meeting and talking with my new sponsor about it tonight.

Last edited:
Bern-Greetings PA girl! I also have a tendency to apologize for venting to others....I have a deeply ingrained sense of shame and feeling like an inconvenience. Don't be sorry-never to me....I have made many mistakes. I also, for the first time, bitched a Dr. out for the disrespectful way he was speaking to me lol. That's a first for me, and progress. I don't mind you asking me anything by the way ;) What good was this shit-storm if I don't share it, and maybe hit home with somebody where it could make a difference?

As far as using-its what we know...I think getting sick sets us up to go ape-shit. As we all well know, being sick sucks. Besides trying to escape, I think we all fear, more than death, withdrawal. And rightly so....shit...it's horrible. Having seizures scared the shit out of me. Even now, I have days where I get myself going, worrying I'm going to have a seizure...and my heart starts racing. Ay yi yi lol.

Bern-I will PM you. And, please PM me anytime. I mean it. I can relate to every single thing you said. :) You are far from alone in all you are feeling-reach out to us.

It's funny that manboy posted music....and love the song! I was going to ask you if you are a music person? Music is my saving grace many times. It can work out Bernc. I am living it, as many of us are...a little at a time. That's it. I too tried to get inpatient, and my insurance didn't cover it. Something I learned while inpatient, that I wish I would've known...just show up. I saw so many people coming in-wasted. I didn't know I could do it or I would've. It all works itself out somehow. . Just walk through that door, even if you're terrified. You will be amongst friends. I was so upset and overwhelmed when I got detained....

I got locked up on a Friday...by Sun am....I was in that dungeon cell....I couldn't move, just staring at the cement wall, thinking "I'm losing everything right now"....and on it goes. But I am ok. There are days when I think about all of the money gone....all of the stuff lost...the humiliation. Because my house burnt down-my shit was known to the entire town, my entire family. It was on the news, and I the newspaper...yeah, pretty horrifying lol. And on the other hand-maybe the lesson for me, is to stand tall, without apology or justifying. Take responsibility for my part, and do the best I can to live better. You're ok Bern...<3 I listen to this song when I feel ashamed, and it makes me remember how loved I am by my real support system....

isn't is something phactor? Good for you for not copping....progress not perfection Much love to you.

@phactor...Isn't it odd that when we go round the old stomping grounds we glamorize it first...then the newer learned behavior comes in. I romanticize a nice speedball sometimes, but then I get to thinking how every single time I said one more it was so much more satisfying in my mind. Generally all I would feel is shame and guilt...no high that usually came with so many problems. I am no longer the teenager shooting morphine with no responsibilities other than the upcoming cross country meet, getting a decent grade, or pitching sugar in the ear of every girl that I thought looked good...Its an odd feeling because I still sometimes feel like that kid that loved that feeling more than himself and everything around him...but then I realize I am a grown man, and I have a child of my own that I really want to never have to go down the same road I went down. It brings me back to the reality that is my recovery. In early recovery I would come up with these elaborate schemes to get some and use some without penalty, but I always ended up thinking it through to my eventual job loss, family loss, or arrest (this is what always happened at the end of my run). I am glad you have a good support network to help you through man, its never the day you are at your worst, but the day you get complacent that it really grabs you by the short and curlys.

@stargazer....yes I am a music guy. I write music, used to spin records proffesionally, and I listen to music constantly!!!! It is the soundtrack to my life. I'm listening to smokey robinson and the miracles right now. If I had a soul band it would be called "to hear a memory and the recollections"

here is another really awesome song that will get your booty bumpin'

Last edited:
Well today is the day - no more tobacco for me. I stopped cigs ages ago just joints but I'm aware it's the weed I need and tobacco was just an addiction.
Also soon going to take a break from the booze, although today being first day of no tobacco maybe not the best day to start that too.

Smoking tobacco is surely worse for you than a few beers per night. Right?

Well today is the day - no more tobacco for me. I stopped cigs ages ago just joints but I'm aware it's the weed I need and tobacco was just an addiction.
Also soon going to take a break from the booze, although today being first day of no tobacco maybe not the best day to start that too.

Smoking tobacco is surely worse for you than a few beers per night. Right?

Smoking tobacco is by far and large the absolute worst thing you can do to yourself in terms of the physical damage that recreational drugs can cause (of course, second only to a fatal overdose or physical paralysis).

I thought so CH, it certainly feels it. Well that's day one down and I never even had any cravings. It's more just not going back to smoking joints as I've quit them several times before which I guess proves tobacco does have its lure somehow. Thankfully the weed I have just now is so tasty it's actually nicer in a pipe anyway.

Its the same as the rest of it I guess take each day as it comes be strong and it gets easier.

Holy cow, Friday is taking forever to come. I just wanna get this methadone doctor shit over with, I hate going to doctors. I know it will be better once I get treatment though.

Hope everyone is having a safe night! ^^

Yes, I'm having a really difficult time with this and I apologize for the long reponses I've made but "talking" about it helps me so much. Thanks again for all of your kindness, caring and support<3. I know it's going to be hard but I REALLY want this more then anything I've ever wanted in my life.

The odd thing? What I feel will be the hardest for me is just merely looking in the mirror to do my hair and makeup....simple things like that (something you fortunately don't have to go through...haha:)). While taking opiates, I see myself so differently. I feel beautiful and like I can do anything. When I'm not? I feel disgusting and don't care what I look like. Deep inside I do but I just don't even care to try. This is one aspect of drug useage that I don't understand.

I know I'm going to be going down probably the toughest "road" I've ever gone down in my entire life. A part of me is scared. Another a little excited but that's getting less as the time is coming nearer to go. And yet another, just curious. It's almost like I feel like I won't "know me" anymore if that makes any sense. I almost feel childish. I'm a 40 year old grown woman and have never once had any drug issues until the last few years.

Anyway, I'm going to try hard to think of it this way. At 40, I'm nearly "middle aged" (haha:)) and I went nearly all of those 40 years without using or abusing drugs or alcohol so if I stop now I've only "wasted" around 3 years of my 40 years of life and will still have (hopefully) at least 40 more years of my life left yet to enjoy for real happiness that doesn't involve the use of a pill to obtain:)

I think for myself I experience a lot of self-hatred; and feelings of self-disgust or self-hatred can be normal during drug withdrawal. Work past this feeling, as it can pass with time! <3

Bern-Greetings PA girl! I also have a tendency to apologize for venting to others....I have a deeply ingrained sense of shame and feeling like an inconvenience. Don't be sorry-never to me....I have made many mistakes. I also, for the first time, bitched a Dr. out for the disrespectful way he was speaking to me lol. That's a first for me, and progress. I don't mind you asking me anything by the way ;) What good was this shit-storm if I don't share it, and maybe hit home with somebody where it could make a difference?

As far as using-its what we know...I think getting sick sets us up to go ape-shit. As we all well know, being sick sucks. Besides trying to escape, I think we all fear, more than death, withdrawal. And rightly so....shit...it's horrible. Having seizures scared the shit out of me. Even now, I have days where I get myself going, worrying I'm going to have a seizure...and my heart starts racing. Ay yi yi lol.

Bern-I will PM you. And, please PM me anytime. I mean it. I can relate to every single thing you said. :) You are far from alone in all you are feeling-reach out to us.

It's funny that manboy posted music....and love the song! I was going to ask you if you are a music person? Music is my saving grace many times. It can work out Bernc. I am living it, as many of us are...a little at a time. That's it. I too tried to get inpatient, and my insurance didn't cover it. Something I learned while inpatient, that I wish I would've known...just show up. I saw so many people coming in-wasted. I didn't know I could do it or I would've. It all works itself out somehow. . Just walk through that door, even if you're terrified. You will be amongst friends. I was so upset and overwhelmed when I got detained....

I got locked up on a Friday...by Sun am....I was in that dungeon cell....I couldn't move, just staring at the cement wall, thinking "I'm losing everything right now"....and on it goes. But I am ok. There are days when I think about all of the money gone....all of the stuff lost...the humiliation. Because my house burnt down-my shit was known to the entire town, my entire family. It was on the news, and I the newspaper...yeah, pretty horrifying lol. And on the other hand-maybe the lesson for me, is to stand tall, without apology or justifying. Take responsibility for my part, and do the best I can to live better. You're ok Bern...<3 I listen to this song when I feel ashamed, and it makes me remember how loved I am by my real support system....

This is almost "too ironic":).....and made me both laugh and cry at the same time as I listened to this song. 1st off, I tried to respond to your post on my thread. And also to Phactor. When I was done I pressed "post" and at that exact moment my phone died and I lost my entire message:(.

I then came back on after I charged it for a bit (sleep has been a "no go" tonight) and when I clicked on "threads I've posted on" this one showed 1st.

Anyway, my post on my thread (BEFORE I even saw this) began with "Isn't it ironic, don't you think" and NO joke I then wrote, "Well, I love Alanis Morisette but won't continue "singing":):):)!!! Seriously, how "IRONIC" is that since I had NO clue that you posted this song:)?!? I don't know but "WOW"! was the 1st thing that entered my mind as I feel that everyone we encounter wishin our lives is for a reason:). I LOVE this song:)!! And love music:)! It definitely always makes me feel better inside:).

After reading what you wrote, I tried to send you a message but since I use my phone only (and don't have Internet right now) I can't access everything that is available on the full site on here. I can click on it....but the print is so very small and if I enlarge it I then can only see a few words, then if I just try to back space out a little bit it just goes back to the microscopic print (and I don't think it has anything to do with the site but rather with my piece of sh*t phone). I wish you would send me a pm though since if I receive one I can then keep using the one I've gotten to respond...kind of like a text. Each time you have mentioned anything about your horrific jail time? Well, I could be way off but I have a feeling that you live at least somewhat close to me and were in one of THE MOST horrible jails in this state:(!!! I know we can't mention locations or real names on here (although I was a dumbass when I set up my account...or rather a drug ass:)...and I'm sure that many by now pretty much can figure out my name) but I'd love to speak to you more privately one on one because if you were where I'm thinking? You were in the pits of hell:(!!!!!!!!

I also know very well the feelings of being embarrassed and ashamed yet your situation truly makes me want to cry (like I said I also read your thread) because I can't even imagine what that all must have felt like for you:(.

As for how things went for me today? Not at all like I had wished them to BUT I haven't used. Since I recently was pretty much told off on here (not this thread) for writing such long posts and threads I'm not going to elaborate further but will try to again on my thread after I try to sleep for at least a few hours.

Please know that you have a friend though right here in PA with an ear as big as her mouth:)!! I don't know....maybe I came off wrong to a few people but yes, I am looking for advise and support and friends that know what this "path" is like but I also can and so much want to be a supportive, listening, caring and loving friend to others as well.

Thanks again and I hope to hear back from you soon<3!!!

Last edited:
So for those who spend lots of time in AA/NA, I have a question.

When you hear shares, I understand the importance of looking for similarities ...

Do any of you actively seek patterns, as in variation between situations, thoughts, emotions, and behaviours?

The reason I ask is, I was in a meeting today and noticed that it seemed like one big CBT group.

I think for myself I experience a lot of self-hatred; and feelings of self-disgust or self-hatred can be normal during drug withdrawal. Work past this feeling, as it can pass with time! <3
I know what you mean. The more I have reflected upon my life over the past few days (something oddly I've never done) I've come to realization that even though I may not have been an addict of drugs or alcohol in the past that I was an "addict" of self hatred in several different ways.

Sure, growing up I had my "wild times" yet they ended quickly. "Booze parties" in the mountains in my area were an "everybody thing" in which I sure wasn't absent from. Yet I could do it every Saturday for 6 months, get sh*t faced drunk and then not go for 2 months. I also experimented with a few drugs. Yet if I did one once and I REALLY liked it? I would never do it again since all of my much older then me siblings were all addicts and I swore I'd never be like "them".

Upon thinking hard though, my biggest addiction has been wanting to be "perfect" no matter what the "cost" for being "perfect" might have been.

Again, I spent all weekend just thinking and thinking (sometimes in which can be a bad thing yet in my case it was a good thing).
......since upon much self reflection I've learned that I have been an "addict" all of my life.

As a young child I NEEDED my hair to be "perfect". I NEEDED my room to be in full "order" at all times and would cry if it wasn't.

As an adolescent, I NEEDED to have perfect grades, NEEDED to wear perfect clothes, NEEDED to be adored by guys yet was so "picky" wanting to wait and someday meet my very own "prince charming". Still needing everything else in "order".

Between the ages of 21 and 31 I went off and on between being anorexic and bulimic. I wouldn't even have a sugar free cough drop if I had a sore throat because there may have been a calorie somewhere in that damn thing hidden that might have made me gain 1/10 th of a pound on my severely malnourished body. Plus, everything still had to be in "order".

I also had to ALWAYS be the queen savior to other people. If someone needed help? By all means I tossed on my invisible "cape" and was there within a lightning bolt flash!

When my dad (my best "buddy" in the world) was murdered by my brother when I was 32? I changed. I became a hateful person. I did things I now regret such as leaving the one and only man who never layed a hand on me and who loved me so much. I began going to bars (something I'd never done) and met abusive man #1.

2 years later after breaking free from the 1st, I met the 2nd one but I "deserved" it by then. I hated me by this point and he "loved" me. After I moved in with him for a while my mom then became gravely ill, I quit my job, and we moved in to care for her (I'm within the medical field...no longer though due to my health).

As she layed dying (a woman who loved me so very much), she also had to hear me being beaten yet did I make him leave? No. If he stopped smashing my head off of walls, that meant his love for me was gone since of course, my life was still in full "order".

She then passed away. My best friend. I began a tiny bit of oxys here and there to dull my pain, (but a lot of alcohol was mixed in) and I swore.....as I've said a few times on other threads that I'd never use more then 2, 5mgs per week. I remember times when I had 100 "saved" because I kept getting them for free (yet to this day I must wonder why I kept accepting them when I wasn't even taking them). A fully organized "addict" I was.

Fast forward two years later and I was a full blown addict. The order disappeared fully for the 1st time in my life.

A year later I needed them for pain and they did nothing besides kept me from being "sick".

In between all of these years the biggest times I was REALLY happy was when I worked because my "job" really wasn't a job at all to me. Being a nurse "allowed" me to help others for a purpose and for a good reason (yes, the money was good yet meant nothing to me and as I recently said I also did nonprofitable work in which I wasn't payed a penny in money yet I was payed a FORTUNE in smiles, thanks and love). No dollar amount can be placed on that feeling<3

So, Captain...as much of a "downer" post as this may be...I so much understand self hatred. Yet I'm trying to figure out why it took me so long to figure out that I've always obviously hated myself since I've either always either abused my own self in some way or else allowed others to abuse me. Oddly it took me being a drug addict and then wanting to get "clean" to realize that I've always been this way which is something that I can't for the life of me figure out.

I have learned one thing though at the beginning of this new "journey" that I've begun and that is that self hatred for one is an addiction in it's self plus that self hatred can lead to addiction and that addiction can lead to self hatred. Something I had never thought of before and never had thought I'd need to think of.

So enough sad talk:), A new day: over the weekend and up until my appointment yesterday I did "use". Not much at all yet the #'s don't matter. Since my appointment I haven't. Do I feel well? No. Do I want to go to my appt this afternoon? No. Will I go? Yes. Do I know this is going to get worse before it gets better? Definitely. Am I willing to give it my all? Absolutely. For me though? I'd never be able to take it day by day. Maybe
not even hour by hour. Yet I don't care if it's minute by minute or second by second, I want this change and want it so badly. Not even just the change of being sober but also the change of what I now realize has been a lifelong addiction all in its own: my own self hatred.

I hope your day begins well and I also hope that you always keep in mind one very spectacular thing about yourself; daily you make a huge impact within other people's lives. You've done it for me and you've done it for many on here. On days when you may be feeling it or even feeling down and depressed (as every single person feels from time to time), try to keep in mind the smiles that you bring to other people's faces when you're offering up your time, your kindness, your support and your love. Sometimes I feel like if I were able to go back to work that this would all be much easier for me. I wouldn't even care if it would be working for nothing. Yet even if I were physically able to I'd be too afraid to at this point since I'd fear I wouldn't be reliable.

To end for now (finally, right? And it killed me last night when I wrote a long post and one person made a rude comment and another said "well I hope she was at least on drugs while writing all that" because no one is forced to read what I write and I only write what I fully mean so if my purpose was to be bothersome or rude? I could find much better ways within my life to do so:)), I want to say that I'm looking forward to you hopefully creating an "November sobriety thread" and by the end of it? I'm hoping to say: "I'm 30 days clean!!!":)....much love<3

Status
Not open for further replies.