• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How to live alone on minimum wage for the rest of your life. (and still smoke weed)

psychedelicsoul

Bluelighter
I got an associates degree in criminal justice. I'm getting a bachelors... But I just picked it as a major for no reason really. There's nothing I would do with any college major that would make me happy. So it really doesn't matter that all of this is just one huge waste of GI bill money. I never wanted to go to college anyway. I'm gonna fail half my classes anyway cause it's too complex for someone who barely got anything out of high school. Sure... my life is gonna go to shit... You think I care? Millions of Americans are just like me.... nothing.

I live in NC, and I want a sustainable life that doesn't force me to stop smoking weed. So I guess I'll just work two minimum wage jobs and find ones that rarely piss test. I've heard lots of things about this QuickFix Synthetic Urine. I'm trying to go to dollar tree, and a local restaurant.

But mostly, I just wanna leave. I wish I had 2 jobs right now so I can drop out of college and move. I don't wanna see my family ever again. I wanna leave, and never so much as say "hi" to my mother until I'm dead. Plus, I need my own place to take women I meet online for sex, or to take prostitutes home or something. I'm sure it's okay for me to lie about my jobs in order to get pussy, since half the women these days are vapid and only care about status. "Who's gonna wanna fuck someone who's working at McDonalds? What a loser?"... That's how everyone thinks.
Can't pick a girl up at all unless your car is flashy enough.

My questions are... Can I make it working 2 jobs if I have no family, no pets, and weed is my only recreational activity I spend money on... I could just go to McDonalds and get free wifi... download anime, go home and watch it, smoke weed... What else is there.
I have to be able to afford food and beer. Even if I have to live off ramen and dollar menu hamburgers
If there's any way I can come up from this... Is there a job which I can get that doesnt' piss test, requires no education, and pays decent.

There are plenty of jobs in all fields that dont drug test, you just have to find them.

But why dont you want to apply yourself in college? Take a bunch of different classes, something may stick to you and you may wind up with better opportunities. Hell, if it is free on the GI Bill, take a chance. You also may meet some likeminded people and start a bit of networking.

There are plenty of jobs in all fields that dont drug test, you just have to find them.

But why dont you want to apply yourself in college? Take a bunch of different classes, something may stick to you and you may wind up with better opportunities. Hell, if it is free on the GI Bill, take a chance. You also may meet some likeminded people and start a bit of networking.

I mean... I would if I could go back and get another major. But once I'm not on my dads GI bill, then how could I possibly afford college after that? I would like to be an economics major so I'd have more credential in starting my own business. But I'm already 2 years into criminal justice.
What could I possibly due with a criminal justice degree that won't involve piss testing?

What jobs can you get with a degree in criminal justice? Are you planning to be a probation officer? You could probably do that as an "independant contractor" or somethign and never have to be drug tested.

you could get a quick education in computer programming and work from home for better than min wage, gives you more freedom than people with 9-5 jobs get and if you live well below your means and don't care about social status then you can redirect a good chunk of extra cash to investments and work towards an early retirement.

problem is it does get lonely. you can live a simple life and be free without becoming a complete degenerate loser but you'll struggle to find reasons not to commit suicide if you just spend all day alternating between work, toking and watching anime.

funny thing about life is when you reach what you thought was the sweet spot of satisfaction, your vision suddenly changes and it's not so sweet anymore. there's just no fun in being alive if you aren't constantly changing and evolving and min-wage slave labour is the very antithesis of change.

set attainable goals, make something of yourself first, then you can coast a bit while you think about your next big move. just my 2c

If you aren't making enough to put money away for your old age then you are probably going to have a very difficult time when you are older. Yes there is social security but ask any senior out there, social security is barely enough to survive on. As you get older, your cost of living will grow to a point where minimum wage just doesn't cut it.

In your post history you keep going on and on about how you need to become your optimum self and how you shouldn't be happy with who you are. So stop the bullshit, leave the computer and go make a better life for yourself.

Every minute you spend on bluelight is another minute you are purposely procrastinating.

Last edited:

I believe you have to own a car that's up to Uber's standards for that. Depending on one's situation that may be difficult.

Whatever it is, I hope he figures something out to make him happy. I can honestly say I have never seen anyone on bluelight that seems to have as much internal conflict and torment as OP does. I hope i'm wrong, for his sake, because it really doesn't sound fun.

I believe you have to own a car that's up to Uber's standards for that. Depending on one's situation that may be difficult.

Whatever it is, I hope he figures something out to make him happy. I can honestly say I have never seen anyone on bluelight that seems to have as much internal conflict and torment as OP does. I hope i'm wrong, for his sake, because it really doesn't sound fun.

Yeah it has to be fairly recent model - forget what the other stipulations are.

funny thing about life is when you reach what you thought was the sweet spot of satisfaction, your vision suddenly changes and it's not so sweet anymore. there's just no fun in being alive if you aren't constantly changing and evolving and min-wage slave labour is the very antithesis of change.

This is an aggravating fact of life, but one that forces change upon you.. the more you live in resistance to change, the more you will suffer.

Ideally I would like to work enough in my 20's to allow greater financial freedom in my 30's where I can coast on very little due to my minimalist lifestyle and spend my time travelling, reading and writing. Yet, and i know this will likely happen because it's already crossed my mind multiple times, when I reach that point I will probably have a desire for family which will fundamentally change everything. It's hard to fight that innate need to keep changing.. and you'll drive yourself insane attempting to fight it.

I've worked minimum wage jobs that are literally rote tasks, you are the equivalent to a gear in the machine.. you could probably get away with doing it for a couple of years but you wouldn't want to do that work for much longer. It's a very dehumanizing process, the work and environment demands you become something other then human, I've seen the lifers in those jobs and there seriously hollow empty shells of their former selves, most are alcoholics. Their will has been crushed out of them over a long period of time.

I don't know about the U.S, but in Australia warehousing work is considered at the bottom in terms of unskilled work.. they never drug test because they would lose half their employee's, pay varies between $21-$26 ($15-18 USD) but cost of living is quite high. Lots of students flow in and out between study, immigrants and people on visa's.

you could get a quick education in computer programming and work from home for better than min wage

What would you suggest learning in order to be competent as a computer programmer? What language should you start with - etc?

I worked the overnight shift in a warehouse a while back and it was brutal. On top of lifting 1,000's of pounds every shift my supposed off-days were spent sleeping-literally.

Depends what you want to get into. Objective-C and Ruby are popular for Mac, C# for Windows, Linux for C++ and Android depends on Java. Aside from the differences between the environments, there are also differences between the languages that make some a pleasure to work with and others a living hell. If you love engineering and attention to detail then C++ is arguably the top choice to learn on and work with. Most popular languages conform to the OO (object-oriented) paradigm and C++ will provide a good foundation in that and make branching out into other languages easy. On the other hand, if you love web and creating visuals and watching your progress then starting with a LAMP environment is a great way to get in the saddle. Or, if you want to start making Android apps yesterday then it pays to learn Java first.

Last edited:
I would recommend you finish your degree man, it opens a world of post-grad education opportunities and if you're aiming for min. wage job it'll still come in handy. In the long run, it's not that much time, and procrastination is at least 50% of the work. I'm speaking from experience - even if you feel alienated from your course it feels much better when it's done and dusted. I had dropped out previously too.

I currently don't work, and get the equivalent of about 260 dollars, plus free health care, here in Ireland on the dole mind, so I don't really have that much to worry about. Sure, things can be a struggle, but it's not too bad.

Good luck with whatever you do man.

you could get a quick education in computer programming and work from home for better than min wage, gives you more freedom than people with 9-5 jobs get and if you live well below your means and don't care about social status then you can redirect a good chunk of extra cash to investments and work towards an early retirement.

programming can earn a lot of money if you get a good job from it (so a full time, 40 hr/week salaried job).
contracting is good too if you have a portfolio - generally that is useful for people who have already had their salaried job, lots of experience and contacts, and can handle it

very hard to get a programming job with just basic skills.

also, just to "jump into programming" - it's a bit hard.
But if you want some advice, start with learning C. then learn Java or C++. then learn some web design. those are all common.

but I think it'd be very difficult to get hired without a diploma or degree or experience. at least not for good money. you may be able to get contract work that'd end up under minimum wage.

I'm sure it's okay for me to lie about my jobs in order to get pussy, since half the women these days are vapid and only care about status. "Who's gonna wanna fuck someone who's working at McDonalds? What a loser?"... That's how everyone thinks.
Can't pick a girl up at all unless your car is flashy enough.

Either you're aiming for the wrong women, or you're not appealing to them for reasons other than your car. Poor people hook up all the time - some of them even have families!

The resentment about your financial/class status and thinking of women as "vapid" "pussy" that you "get" is probably much more of a turn off than your car.

At least stay in college and get an Associate's degree. It's better than nothing.If all you want to do is smoke herb, get help for your issues with drugs as providing for yourself and living on your own or with a roommate who you split rent for should be the #1 priority instead of smoking herb. Are you still in highschool or did you just graduate?

Wonderful advice Kittycat :) (Sorry for the weird quote format the editor is being wonky hah!)

I apologize psychedelicsoul, but what kind of life is living alone on minimum wage for the rest of your life while still smoking cannabis?

I ain't criticizing a minimalist lifestyle, not by any means hell I am a minimalist, www.becomingminimalist.com

But honestly this thread just screams 'escape from life' to me.

I am not criticizing anybody's choice to live alone, and not earn more than minimum wage. Heck Buddhist monks renounce even wages, granted they also give up intoxicants like marijuana, but they are supremely happy living alone earning no money for the rest of their lives, granted they are seeking the fruit of ultimate liberation from worldly suffering, nirvana. Nirvanic bliss is indescribable and cannot even be fathomed in a peak DMT experience, anyways I'm getting waaaaay off topic.

I have empathic tendencies and can feel things through people's posts and online presence.

dole brah

Are you fucking kidding me? Public aid? Why not just live in Mum's basement for the rest of your life while you're at it.

Last edited:

problem is it does get lonely. you can live a simple life and be free without becoming a complete degenerate loser but you'll struggle to find reasons not to commit suicide if you just spend all day alternating between work, toking and watching anime.

set attainable goals, make something of yourself first, then you can coast a bit while you think about your next big move. just my 2c

I second the Software Developer suggestion. I'm a software developer and have had positions that don't drug test, only work 40 hours a week, full benefits, and pay 85,000/yr. hell, some of them let you drink at the office. I am also in NC - just saying that those opportunities are already near you.