Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Dextrometorphan and Alcohol) - Overdose

2skeed

Bluelighter
A while back me and some old friends didn't have a lot of money. Me and another one of my friends where staying the night at a friends house. We didn't have money but still wanted to get fucked up some how. I remembered that one of my friends had told me about chugging a bottle of Delsym cough syrup, and tripping out of your mind. So at first I drank about one of the small bottles (3 fluid ounces) of Deslym. I didn't feel much, just a lot of numbness and energy. I tried the next week to do 6 fluid ounces. I chugged this one straight and chased it with a Nos energy drink. So did my other two friends. The first part of the trip was pretty good, we were all pretty fucked up and rolling around laughing and shit. Later is when it all turned bad for no reason, I fell asleep for a while and when I woke up I really had to piss. I tried to get up but I felt like my knees had disappeared. I woke up my friend who helped me up and I realized that I had no idea who I was or where I was. I looked at my self in the mirror and geniunley had no idea who the fuck was looking back at me. In addition almost every part of me was completely numb. I spent hours freaking out and trying to fall asleep as well as trying to figure out who the fuck I was or where I was. One of my friends ran outside for about and hour and just started vomiting, came back inside and passed out on the couch. But in the end we slept it off and were fine, except for our vision was blurry and we were numb for most of the next day. The third time we did this it was the time where I had my worst experience. We got a big bottle of delsym each, chugged it and I chased mine with about half of a 8% alcohol 40 ouncer. Everything was going OK until the friends mom burst into the room and saw us sprawled on the floor with empty bottles of cough syrup and alcohol. She freaked out and called an ambulance. The other guys ended up being fine and they let them go. But my heart rate was through the roof and the ambulance people freaked out and made me come to the hospital. I had a really bad trip in the hospital which included me trying to pull out my IV because I had no idea where I was, who I was, or what happened. The nurses had to hold me up so I could take a piss. I was also trying to convince my doctor to smoke some weed with me. I ended up being high for 24 hours straight and hated it. Thats the last time I've fucked around with DXM that hard. I don't understand all the people on the internet talking about how they enjoy their trips. Maybe it was because of the actual delsym, because it wasn't just dxm, it was with a bunch of other chemicals that made me feel like I was going to shit out my liver. I intend on purchasing some dxm only cough drops, with a few grams of weed to calm me down. Anybody have similar experiences or something to share? Thanks for reading such a long post. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi 2skeed,

Thanks for your report and welcome to BL!

DXM and alcohol don't combine very well since they create additive CNS depressant effects, with the consequent risks.

Excerpt from Erowid:

Some users report that a small amount of alcohol (a beer or two) before the DXM can both enhance the trip and prevent some nausea. Alcohol following the DXM trip seems to be reduced in some, but not all, of its effects. Note that large doses of alcohol combined with DXM often cause prolonged vomiting (up to 2 hours!) Alcohol after the end of a high dosage DXM trip has been reported to temporarily bring back many of the dissociative effects (cannabis and nitrous oxide also do this). This seems possible up to five days after the DXM trip, depending on your metabolism and brain chemistry.

https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/dxm_mixing.shtml

Yeah, not a good combo. And you were high for so long because delsym contains dxm polisterex, basically a plastic coating on the dxm molecule to make it extended release.

Weed goes great with dxm, other things not so much, especially serotnergic drugs such as mdma, for the possibility of serotonin syndrome;as well as cns depresseants as the above post said. You should probably take it a little easier on the dose of dxm until you get more used to it at least, it can easily get overwhelming at disocciative levels.

Welcome to Bluelight. Good report and stay safe.