• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Are meat eaters allowed to judge another persons ethics?

psychedelicsoul

Bluelighter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz6qSfDvQQc
Some would call me a sick, unsympathetic bastard for supporting this
http://www.smh.com.au/world/teen-gi...-of-friend-conrad-roy-18-20150825-gj768t.html
Or thinking that this should be legal...

However, if you like my opinions or not, you're not counting one crucial issue.

1425724502_dd090842c1.jpg
You support THIS!!!
the-horrors-of-factory-farming-21349353.jpg
This isn't a gross picture... How? How is this gross, this is your money.

I support it too, I got to the grocery store.
So how can I judge another persons beliefs or sense of morality when I myself am immoral. Yes, eating meat makes you unethical if you buy from factory farms... Now if you eat 100% free range meat, vegan, hunted meat, or humanely killed meat... then you have room to talk

But you LIKE this... Do you eat Smithfield ham on Christmas? Then you support animal abuse. Do you like KFC, then YES. You like animal torture. You like animal confinement. You put your money into it, so you must like it. At least I admit that I'm an unethical person. I don't make excuses. That's not an insult... Abortion is baby killing. Objective fact. Period. You can have different views on abortion, but it is, objectively, the killing of babies. (I'm not pro-life by the way)
Meat eaters financially support animal abuse.. objective fact, not opinion. So don't tell me I'm insulting you by saying you support animal abuse, because it's an objective, indisputable fact that you support animal abuse.
I... am... not... a... good... person...
A good person doesn't support factory farming, therefore, I am a bad person. If you eat meat from factory farms, YOU'RE an unethical human being.

Now... some would say... How can I compare judging people for eating meat, to judging people for supporting suicide like I do? Factory farming affects animals, suicide affects people. Therefore, I'm a bad person for supporting suicide, but factory farming affects animals so it's morally irrelevant. That is a classic excuse not to think. That's not even an argument.
And let me take that retarded ass statement at face value... Factory farming contributes to human loss. The grains used to feed livestocks are being taken out the mouths of starving African kids every day... So even if your logic was sound, you're still wrong.

So if you eat meat thats factory farmed, like me, you support animal torture and starvation of children... Objective fact.
So... How could one who eats meat, call something else unethical?

Because someone can have different beliefs about separate issues.

I'm not saying meat eaters can't disagree with stuff. But if they label another as a "bad person" or an "unethical person", doesn't eating meat sort of make them a hypocrite?

Simply being human is an ethical hypocrisy.

Whether you choose to give a shit how others perceive you is something you can gnaw over while enjoying some BBQ ribs

Simply being human is an ethical hypocrisy.

Whether you choose to give a shit how others perceive you is something you can gnaw over while enjoying some BBQ ribs

I think it's better to think about the ethical consequence of the action itself. It doesn't matter what others think of you. I just think if you're gonna call someone a "sociopath" or "unethical" or "Evil" one must examine ones self first.

meat-eaters tend not to even think about ethical dilemmas because we consider animals to be livestock and not creatures-to-be-treated-as-humans. ethics simply doesn't apply to what i eat, regardless of how intelligent the creature may be. on the other hand, ethics does apply to what i don't eat, whether it's human or a pig i have chosen to treat as a pet rather than as livestock.

people who tend livestock, IME, have a more holistic view of the world in general. they aren't obsessed with the concept of suffering, they just accept that life co-exists with death and each slaughtered animal will make way for the lives of new animals that will eventually be slaughtered.

One you of you logicians, quick! Label this fallacy:

1. KFC tortures chickens
2. Consumer likes KFC

=

3. Consumer tortures chickens.

now if you eat 100% free range meat, vegan, hunted meat, or humanely killed meat... then you have room to talk

I eat only free range vegan meat too! Can I talk? And why are you?

One you of you logicians, quick! Label this fallacy:

1. KFC tortures chickens
2. Consumer likes KFC

=

3. Consumer tortures chickens.

I eat only free range vegan meat too! Can I talk? And why are you?

What is "vegan meat"? Either way, the consumer is the glue that holds an industry together.
But if you don't support factory farming, then yes... you are ethically superior than me. And sure I guess you do have the right to judge my sense of ethics... not that it'll change anything.

meat-eaters tend not to even think about ethical dilemmas because we consider animals to be livestock and not creatures-to-be-treated-as-humans. ethics simply doesn't apply to what i eat, regardless of how intelligent the creature may be. on the other hand, ethics does apply to what i don't eat, whether it's human or a pig i have chosen to treat as a pet rather than as livestock.

people who tend livestock, IME, have a more holistic view of the world in general. they aren't obsessed with the concept of suffering, they just accept that life co-exists with death and each slaughtered animal will make way for the lives of new animals that will eventually be slaughtered.

What your describing sounds like a local farmer or free range farmers logic... people in factory farms either need the money desperately, are desensitized, or sociopaths.

Its so hard to be 100% ethical that it might be impossible. Is there any use in something that can never be realised?

Its so hard to be 100% ethical that it might be impossible. Is there any use in something that can never be realised?

But if that's true then... that means everyone who is judgmental towards another persons ethics is a hypocrite

That's no different that saying if you can't be perfect then why bother trying.

Is there anyone on this planet who's perfect in speech, body and mind?

my answer - no. once upon a time, i had to undergo a psych evaluation. this disaffected psych-staffer asking me question. thing is, i was undergoing this because i had a head injury, pretty bad, and the next day i started having tactile hallucinations - i could feel it bleeding, even though it wasn't, while simultaneously having a killer headache. i was in a FOUL mood. so psych-staffer asked me 'have you ever thought about harming animals?' and then 'have you ever harmed or tortured an animal?' i lost my cool, 'lady, if i want to go to the pet store, get a bunny and vivisect it, it's not a drop in the ocean of pain and misery you create with you goddamn cheeseburgers. let me ask you, do you pay people to torture animals, make them live in filth and misery, so you can have cheap chicken tenders? does denial absolve you of sociopathy?." she issued a 1013, order for involuntary confinement, i ran rat for cover. hid out three days til the order expired, at one point under a pile of clothes in my father's closet while the police searched my house. that bitch was VINDICTIVE. a week later she called UGA and had them bar me from campus...which pissed off my PI royally. she was a high exposure scientist (also a beautiful woman) and me her prize student, so she when to the dean and cancelled it.

I see that this is ultimately a thread where we are discussing psychedelic souls odd take on ethics. Yuo seem to be making a pastiche of arguments against you and pointing out that your verision of them is illogical. Or that evreyone is a hypocrite and evil so you aren't the only one.

Or something, I cannot entirely be sure of course.

But, this is the same stuff we've heard before.

I see that this is ultimately a thread where we are discussing psychedelic souls odd take on ethics. Yuo seem to be making a pastiche of arguments against you and pointing out that your verision of them is illogical. Or that evreyone is a hypocrite and evil so you aren't the only one.

Or something, I cannot entirely be sure of course.

But, this is the same stuff we've heard before.

More like...
Is there a point where one can properly judge another without being a hypocrite? If I go vegan, go green, be extremely nice, stop thinking about things I consider wrong and do a shit ton of other steps... Will I get to the point where I can be considered a "better person" morally? And when am I allowed to be judgemental against another person

Are meat eaters allowed to judge another persons ethics?

Depends on who's making the allowances.
As far as I'm concerned, people should be able to do what they want.

There's another question, though.
And that is: should you judge others?
I think that's what you mean - really - by "allowed".
You mean, is it right to do so.

As somebody who's slingshot'd back and forth between meat eater and vegan/vegetarian for almost a decade now, I've done it a fair bit (judged meat eaters and myself, for eating meat) and I'm certain that it isn't right (to judge others, not sure about the self).

The Bible is full of simple, effective philosophies: treat your neighbor as you want them to treat you; don't judge others; etc. These are obvious truths. (The simplest philosophies are the best; complex theory gets lost in itself.) Yet, people with a predisposition towards hating on the church try to pick apart "don't judge" so that it seems illogical or impossible.

I don't support the conditions that the meat was created in, simply because I eat it. Nor do children who are fed meat by their parents support the conditions the meat was "made". An oblivious man, with a low IQ and not much interest in the world, who is sitting around eating a burger (without the slightest consideration for where it comes from) doesn't support those conditions either.

I'm mostly vegan now, again.

when am I allowed to be judgemental against another person

When you allow yourself to be?
Who's stopping you?

Convince yourself that it is okay to judge.
That judging doesn't make you a hypocrite.
(But, it does.)

If I go vegan, go green, be extremely nice, stop thinking about things I consider wrong and do a shit ton of other steps... Will I get to the point where I can be considered a "better person" morally?

No. There is no amendment to "thou shall not judge".
That state that you're talking about - perfection - is unattainable.
Which is why the adage exists in the first place.