• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Are meat eaters allowed to judge another persons ethics?

In the big picture the decision to eat meat or not is essentially a belief structure that either allows or prevents it morally for individuals. The practice of marketing meat for profit creates a hostile environment where the beliefs of both meat eaters and abstainers keep colliding. It isn't a bad thing because some beliefs need to be re-examined from the much more knowledgeable position we have today. As with all things humanity usually runs to the incorrect easy idea first and lets their children fix the mess it creates. Oddly enough if we focus on education our children will be smarter and can probably save themselves from the crazy world we've built for them to live in.

Personally I don't see an issue with eating meat but I do oppose unethical farming. I also oppose imprisonment of humans, just because we are self aware doesn't mean we can be treated worse.

I see life as a single entity that has evolved humans as it's current lead species, if we plunder and kill ourselves off, life will evolve the cockroach as it's first choice or perhaps a bacteria with a hive mind. Before we kill all life on this planet I think we may awake ourselves, perhaps not. Just looking around we've obviously had global civilization long ago and we don't even have record of it so we may be on the 2nd 3rd or greater attempt by life to produce something that isn't insane as a lead species.

The interesting part is that all higher functioning life requires a lower functioning life as food. Plants and micro organisms break down the earth water and light so higher life forms can consume them. We all spring from the same DNA and we are all connected to this thing called life. The simple rule of life is that no higher life form can farm a lower form to extinction without threatening themselves. We have offed thousands of species and like a huge Jenga game our world is full of holes. To life it doesn't matter what you eat it just matters you don't eat it all.

Last edited:
i became vegan about 2 months ago, i empathise with carnists as i used to be one and was totally ignorant to the suffering i was causing by paying for ppl to kill animals.
i see meat eating as a blindspot that intelligent and empathetic people can have, it doesn't de-legitimise their other views on things, it just shows this is not an area they have investigated with rationality.
there is not logical reason to consume animal products in first world society, all of our nutritional needs can be obtained from plants, save b12 which is available in pill form, but is also in fortified plant milks, nutritional yeast, mushrooms, faux meats.
i would challenge any meat eater to watch 'what the health' and try veganism for 1 month. i used to love eating bacon and egg sangers, now i am just not interested in being part of that industry. its fked. there is a lot of delicious vegan food and it doesn't mean denying yourself the pleasure of food.

I exchanged cheese for nutritional yeast, it's one of my absolute favorite things in the world, I prefer it to cheese now.

The one animal product I eat almost every day is eggs, I eat 2 eggs for breakfast along with polenta. I am almost always choosing tempeh for a protein in my dinners these days. I do eat meat sometimes still but it's getting less and less.

At first my girlfriend started getting stomach/gastric issues and had to severely restrict her diet, so I restricted mine somewhat to be able to cook food for us both. That was about 2 years ago. Then, more recently, my psoriasis started going into my joints and I gave up dairy and gluten for it, which actually is working amazingly, I never thought I'd do that gluten-free thing. I guess reducing animal foods has naturally followed. I really prefer vegetables and nuts. I've been exploring cooking Chinese-style foods most recently, before that it was Thai and before that it was Indian. You can get so much flavor into things you cook, with or without meat.

Nutritional yeast is tasty huh?

Have you tried cashew cheese? There are some that i like better than real fetta or whatever soft white cheese.

I used to have skin problems that totally went away when i cut dairy out of my diet - so for me, eating vegan has cleared up a health issue i'd had since i was a tiny kid.
And since i cut it out of my diet, dairy tastes terrible to me now.
I don't know if i could stomach drinking a glass of milk any more. Now it seems weird to me that i ever drank it - milk is a bit freaky when you start thinking about where it comes from, and what it's naturally intended for...

I never decided "i'm going vegan" - but gradually my diet and my thinking just drifted that way.
I mean, i've been vegetarian for 20 years, so it's a pretty small shift.
But i don't even call myself "vegan". It's just a useless label to me - i'm more interested in labeling food "vegan" and "not vegan" (or whatever) - not people :)

When i say i prefer vegan food, i'm not kidding - it was a food preference for me, rather than a "lifestyle choice" or whatever. Which to me is pretty cool. People often tell me thety wish they could be vegan, nut find it too hard.
I just really like the food, to me it's way better.

Nutritional yeast is tasty huh?

Have you tried cashew cheese? There are some that i like better than real fetta or whatever soft white cheese.

I used to have skin problems that totally went away when i cut dairy out of my diet - so for me, eating vegan has cleared up a health issue i'd had since i was a tiny kid.
And since i cut it out of my diet, dairy tastes terrible to me now.
I don't know if i could stomach drinking a glass of milk any more. Now it seems weird to me that i ever drank it - milk is a bit freaky when you start thinking about where it comes from, and what it's naturally intended for...

I never decided "i'm going vegan" - but gradually my diet and my thinking just drifted that way.
I mean, i've been vegetarian for 20 years, so it's a pretty small shift.
But i don't even call myself "vegan". It's just a useless label to me - i'm more interested in labeling food "vegan" and "not vegan" (or whatever) - not people :)

When i say i prefer vegan food, i'm not kidding - it was a food preference for me, rather than a "lifestyle choice" or whatever. Which to me is pretty cool. People often tell me thety wish they could be vegan, nut find it too hard.
I just really like the food, to me it's way better.

Uh yeah man, nutritional yeast... do you know about it? Because if you don't, you should. So good...

The most delicious protein I've ever had was a mushrooom. Chicken of the woods... mmmm...

Yeah, i love nutritional yeast!
I used it in place of parmesan cheese. Sounds awful, but it's not :)

Sounds amazing to me! I use it as a sauce thickener mostly and I also sprinkle it on things.

I use nutritional yeast flakes a lot in GF crackers and savory GF pie doughs. I haven't followed it's production process completely yet so I'll hold out on how amazing it is but the sales version of why I should use it was pretty good. It has a kind of "memories of vegimite" taste in baked goods that has a huge appeal. I hadn't used this ever before doing gluten free work. I never had any intention to bake gluten free, having followed the science of gluten. The starch replacements have far worse potential for humanity as a whole. Unfortunately my experience level pushed me into it on a large scale. Learning to bake with everything but the ingredients I had used my whole life has been a lot more fun then I ever expected.

I realize I make at least part of my living off people that really have no clue about what they are eating and somehow feel if they pay more it will be better for them. This is so very far from true, learn what you are eating and don't jump in a fad I can't speak for most diets but this one is not what it appears to be.

In November 2014 Dr Gibson (the man responsible for the study that pushed gluten into food hell) did an interview that is published in the New Yorker as part of an article on gluten free foods.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/03/grain

This is really worth the read. I have zero food religions but have respect for those who do, being careful to educate yourself before declaring your belief in one is really important. There is a second study out of New Zealand, i don't have a link for, it but it takes the next logical step in demistifying complex carbohydrates and what is really harming who.

yeah i think something like 1 in 200 people are allergic to gluten.

its interesting that there was a study i heard of where scientists told people an unhealthy smoothie was healthy and their body reacted to it differently, than it would if they were told it was unhealthy.

once you hold a belief that something is going to be bad for you, then your body rejects it as if it is.

From what I understand, gluten and dairy both cause some amount of increased inflammation to most or many people. But it's probably negligible in consequences for almost everyone. However I have an autoimmune inflammatory condition (psoriasis) and it's undeniable now that gluten (and to a lesser extent, dairy) lead to increased inflammation with it, because when I cut it out, within a few weeks my wrists stopped hurting, and some of my patches on my skin have disappeared entirely and all of them are shrinking. And I can go 2 days without using intensive moisturizing lotion and they don't flare up at all. It's a massive difference, I'm hoping it'll eventually all go away. My cousin had some start to appear and she gave up gluten and it all went away... of course I've had a lot of it for half my life so it might take a long time to go away completely.

I use nutritional yeast flakes a lot in GF crackers and savory GF pie doughs. I haven't followed it's production process completely yet so I'll hold out on how amazing it is but the sales version of why I should use it was pretty good. It has a kind of "memories of vegimite" taste in baked goods that has a huge appeal.

this is possibly the first time i've ever heard a positive comment about vegemite from someone who is not australian! :)

they're both yeast products, so it makes sense that there's a similarity there - that hadn't occurred to me at all.

Vegemite is the bomb. Admittedly it doesn't look that appealing but damn it tastes so savoury and salty and good! :)