• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Are meat eaters allowed to judge another persons ethics?

Can u keep a thought in your head without making a thread about it

Lol no shit... I think the op would benefit way more from getting out of his parent's basement and going for a walk rather than posting the same negative nonsense over and over on here trying to get someone's approval.

we don't agree on much, nutty, but on this we do :)
And when am I allowed to be judgemental against another person
what - or who - is stopping you.?

for somebody who claims to be free of care about what others think (especially about you), your comments seem to suggest significant doubt, lack of genuine self-awareness and insecurity.

simply an opinion.

alasdair

I don't think it has so much to do with "judging another person's ethics" as finding your own conscience.

So if you eat meat thats factory farmed, like me, you support animal torture and starvation of children... Objective fact.
So... How could one who eats meat, call something else unethical?

You are more or less on point here - but strangely enough for many it just stops there. But does it really?

Ethics can't only be about your choices towards one narrow segment of human economy (factory farming, meat & dairy industry). If your worldview stops there - you're inconsistent in a very same way some psychedelically-enlightened person is, if he has a burger after some dmt-led alternative-universe observation.

One moment you're a being of light and love - and next you're a driver of pain and suffering just like yours to another live being? Yes, it is a hypocrisy.

But how about "fast fashion" (google it)? It's a lot of suffering for people and animals all over the world for no real reason but financial gain. How about what goes on on Wall street or how large global companies behave killing local micro-businesses? How about cosmetics and pharma, doing animal testing? Oil pumping that fuels our planes and cars? Dumping your garbage? The list is much longer than just animal farming, there are lots of things that are blindly harmful that we do or contribute to by consumption.

Building a consistently ethical harm reduction worldview is hard and it can be a socially isolating experience. It's like you're suddenly able to walk but see everyone else in the world is in wheelchairs and you can't just go out and demand them to do squat jumps.

I don't eat meat or consume any animal-based products, I often look up companies that produce products that I buy to minimally check if they are involved in unethical practices - but I still have to drive a car around, use a computer and a dishwasher etc. and when I go for a walk I might step on an ant or kill a mosquito on my neck, you know.

We are social animals, we rely on other people and their work, rely on how this world is built. If you try to be radically consistent in your ethics - you have to move back to the caves and never use any of stuff we had through the last couple of thousand years, because all of it is built on blood and pain. When you actually try doing it (not just in theory as I would assume you are) - you quickly understand that there is a perspective that would apply to your own lifestyle too, you're not a saint, you can't avoid being hypocritic at some level yourself. There is no real way to achieve a position that is morally superior, for the moment we all are only human beings.

So I think that harm reduction ethics is not about making everyone do everything in some strictly prescribed "right" way. That would be how religion works. If you're dogmatic about it - well, it's just silly.

Harm reduction is about least harmful choices that you make at everything in life, not only animal cruelty. Each time you choose - you don't just do a blind go, don't follow habits or patterns - but instead mindfully consider each your choice and do the least possible harm you think you can do in this situation. It's effectively an expectation of deeply present consciousness and mindfulness from people. I really do hope people will use their soul and consciousness and build up their wisdom and become better in every step they make - but everyone is at a different stage of that journey, five years ago I was enjoying burgers myself.

And btw to close a gestalt - my expectation of wisdom and consciousness is not a randomly developed belief that I just have and impose on others for no reason whatsoever. It is quite a materialistic and rational, selfish thing to have. If more people will live a harm reduction lifestyle - my children and their children and all the further DNA descendants of mine will have more chances for survival, chances for life at a better place. Our genes are selfish, right? So I only really care about how beautiful and clean and peaceful the planet will be for many generations down from me - not just the one or two generations (children/grandchildren). I want peace and clean nature for myself and my descendants, because it makes sense, that's what any life does - survival.

Thought you might use a reply from a vegan here (also - my first reply here, sorry for length).

People take eating meat very seriously. I think it's some weird bloodlust but I'm on some next level vegetarian lifestyle shit, so what do I know?

Sweet potatoes for days fam.

People get pissed when you say a band they like sucks, I think we're a long ways away from voluntarily stopping meat production en masse.

People take eating meat very seriously. I think it's some weird bloodlust but I'm on some next level vegetarian lifestyle shit, so what do I know?

Sweet potatoes for days fam.

People get pissed when you say a band they like sucks, I think we're a long ways away from voluntarily stopping meat production en masse.

what you're missing is that the high fat high protein diet is physically addictive. in all likelihood, you eat healthy and are not a food addict - your relationship with food is completely different. you like nuanced spices and flavors, food that's *interesting* vs food that has lots of fat and protein, that tastes 'good' (you have tastebuds in your brain - dopamine is "good"). am i wrong?

I enjoy complex flavors and a wide variety of foods that are interesting, but I still eat meat.

I'm definitely addicted to food though... without it I would die. Whenever I go even 12 hours without I start to feel uncomfortable.

;)

it's not an addiction until someone questions why your office shares an address with a KFC

what you're missing is that the high fat high protein diet is physically addictive. in all likelihood, you eat healthy and are not a food addict - your relationship with food is completely different. you like nuanced spices and flavors, food that's *interesting* vs food that has lots of fat and protein, that tastes 'good' (you have tastebuds in your brain - dopamine is "good"). am i wrong?

Are you serious right now? Coming from someone so educated i would never believe you to spout such bullshit. Physically addictive? And carbohydrates are what? Not?

wtf man lol. And if carbs are bad. And high fat is bad. And high protein is bad..... Time to live off oxygen? Oh wait radicals and all that.

wut.

get off your high horse. High fat high protein is incredibly healthy for you so I have no idea where you are getting your info to push this bullshit agenda from.

Are you serious right now? Coming from someone so educated i would never believe you to spout such bullshit. Physically addictive? And carbohydrates are what? Not?

wtf man lol. And if carbs are bad. And high fat is bad. And high protein is bad..... Time to live off oxygen? Oh wait radicals and all that.

wut.

get off your high horse. High fat high protein is incredibly healthy for you so I have no idea where you are getting your info to push this bullshit agenda from.
Yep, some folks do take dietary discussion very seriously/personally.

As for the ethics portion.

Empathy does not equate to moral ethics. Crappy treatment of livestock does not equate to morally wrong. Thats an etrinsic value.

do I, one individual who holds a certain belief higher than baseline moral, believe (key word as its not rooted in stone cold logic but rather feels) that animals (creatures who are not of homo sapien decent) should be treated better and more humanely? Yes.

Should humans eat less meat? Nah we should just make less humans lmao. If people want to start switching i am all for it since then my consumption can stay the same.

this has nothing to do with ethics so fuck off.

Go be intellectually dishonest somewhere else lmao

Speaking of being intellectually dishonest, aren't you the guy whose ethical theory I tore to shreds not too long ago? Instead of responding to my objections you ran away with your tail in between your legs, and now here you are regurgitating the same empty theory. Talk about intellectual dishonesty! :p

wut.

Many of us are eager to have that cup of coffee every morning to jump-start our days. While caffeine boosts energy levels, having coffee is also a pleasurable experience that releases high levels of dopamine. When there is a greater gap between your meals throughout the day, your body will have lower dopamine levels, leading you to overindulge in hunger cravings. If you feel good after giving into your food cravings, your mind will be programmed to seek what gives you pleasure and send impulses to do it again. Unfortunately, most of the foods we crave are refined carbohydrates that can lead to unhealthy eating habits and obesity, said Dr. Mehmet Oz on the Dr. Oz Show. When your dopamine levels immediately fall, the body sends signals to the brain that make you look for food and eat it immediately.

Low levels of dopamine dampen your dopamine receptors and lead you to lose control of your diet and what you eat. As your dopamine levels deplete, your food cravings will return because the body needs to have stabilized levels of the chemical in order to proactively prevent food binging. The feel-good mood you associate with sweets, sugars, and carbohydrates triggers “reward” networks in the brain that can be difficult to reverse, says Nutrutionwonderland.com.

Findings published in Nutrition & Metabolism support the idea that dopamine plays a significant role in hunger cravings and directly affects weight gain and loss. Dopamine-induced eating behavior is linked to compensating for low dopamine levels, which leads to the possibility of overeating after long periods of food withdrawal

-Dopamine Diet: Naturally Control Hunger Cravings And Boost Weight Loss

i can do pubmed, too. it's basic sociobiology. You're squaking because it means you are like an addict - don't worry, most people are.We're programmed for it, even when its profoundly maladaptive.

I am not otherwise commenting on the issue as I really don't have much of a stance on what you are debating but I am reasonably dubious of any source which references Dr Oz, and particular anything which he said on the Dr. Oz Show. As I understand it, that guy is a total charlatan. Also, the author of that article has a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Media Studies, which doesn't exactly make her a dietitian.

I admit I haven't checked out the whole thing, but taking things at face value I don't think that article is a particularly credible source.

Last edited:
The result of this ancestral diet is that we are hardwired from birth to like certain tastes and smells, most notably those of sugar and fat, but also salt. Both humans and rats show much greater activation of a key portion of the pleasure circuit, dopamine-releasing neurons of a region called the ventral tegmental area when eating energy-dense fatty and sugary foods. Like the difference between the effects of slowly acting "chewed" coca leaves and injected purified cocaine, this may reflect the different concentration profiles of glucose (or some other food-related signal) as conveyed to the brain: Large, fast-rising pleasure signals are the most rewarding and most addictive.

-Food, Pleasure and Evolution

There are many parallels between feeding behavior and drug addiction and the reason is that the same dopamine reward system is typically utilized. Drug addicts don’t become addicts overnight. They start out with small doses but as the reward feedback system demands higher and higher doses, the addiction becomes more and more pronounced. Given the many parallels between food and drug cravings, it would make sense to use lessons from drug addiction to aid in the fight against obesity. But then again, we are not too good at fighting drug addiction, either.

-The Genetic Link Between Obesity and Dopamine Receptors in the Brain Discovered

Do you want journal refs? I used to have them collected, but I lost it. Hell, try this: How dopamine killed the dinosaurs. Try to refute the terrible logic of it.

I really don't have a dog in this fight tantric. I don't have a viewpoint on what you are debating, I don't care about it at all. I simply noticed that your source referenced Dr Oz which made me think it was a bit dodgy, I had a slightly closer look and found that the author had no scientific or nutritional qualification.

I have an exam on Monday and have no desire to spend my time going through any additional sources which you have provided for now. Generally I prefer journal articles over blogs and news articles, but as I mentioned, I am not particularly invested in this debate and will be too busy to look at any literature on this issue in depth in the coming days.