• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Decarbing weed without smell

Fetus Fetish

Bluelighter
I've been looking into making edibles lately, I learned about decarbing and I have two questions, do you have to decarb weed for microwave fire crackers even tho they are being cooked. I can't have a lot of smell and I heard you can do it in a jar but I'm pretty sure it will explode if you put a sealed jar in the oven

Decarbing is a great way to consistently make your edibles potent. Without this step, you are doing a lot of guess work.

The smell from making firecrackers is going to be just as much if not more than the smell from decarbing, so your smell problem doesn't go away just because you put the pot in peanut butter.

The only ways I know how to greatly reduce the smell from making edibles is to either turn all the flower into oil first or do a water cure on the buds (I prefer to do the former with ISO).

Putting a closed lid container in the oven is asking for trouble.

Just found out 240 degrees for 40 minutes decarbs the weed......if the weed is more than one year old less decarbing needed...if the weed is 2 years old probably don't need to decarb as decarbing happens naturally letting the weed age.
I'd personally just put in gently boiling water for an hour or two, add butter and done.(but still smells a bit)

I Don't Know this Whole Decarb Thing Makes Sense But At The Same Exact Time It Doesn't Seem To Make Any Sense At All To Me Lol.

i've used a fan in the past to blow the smell out the window and it has worked. it doesn't smell too bad. it's as bad as vapour more or less

decarbing doesn't smell that baf as long as you are using 2 or less grams. I've decarbed plenty of weed in my house with my parents sleeping, I'll just open the kitchen window light a candle and the smell will be gone in a couple hours.

if you are going to eat it most say you have to decarb before ingesting. I don't think there is any practical way to use heat to decarb without the potential of wafting the smell all over the place.

I would think you would have to decarb by chemical means like soaking in alcohol.

I would think you would have to decarb by chemical means like soaking in alcohol.
Alcohol does not decarb the THCA at all ime. Green dragon, for example, pretty much sucks if you don't decarb. Many hash extraction methods don't decarb the herb much if at all.

The average bottom shelf legal rec BHO is tested and labeled at about/over 75% THCA, and very rarely the actual THC % is over 5%. For example, if I remember correctly THIS hash oil tested under 2% ACTUAL THC, and that is common. Most of my oil is tested at around 3% ACTUAL THC.

The idea with cooking with concentrates (as it relates to this thread) is that you are dealing with less physical substance to make a smell. Decarbing is still just as important.

Alcohol does not decarb the THCA at all ime. Green dragon, for example, pretty much sucks if you don't decarb. Many hash extraction methods don't decarb the herb much if at all.

The average bottom shelf legal rec BHO is tested and labeled at about/over 75% THCA, and very rarely the actual THC % is over 5%. For example, if I remember correctly THIS hash oil tested under 2% ACTUAL THC, and that is common. Most of my oil is tested at around 3% ACTUAL THC.

The idea with cooking with concentrates (as it relates to this thread) is that you are dealing with less physical substance to make a smell. Decarbing is still just as important.
That is interesting, I did not know that. It would make sense based on my experiments with green dragon. Is that still true if you let it set for 1-2 months? I always assumed that letting it set was part of the decarbing process but I definitely could have misunderstood.

That is interesting, I did not know that. It would make sense based on my experiments with green dragon. Is that still true if you let it set for 1-2 months? I always assumed that letting it set was part of the decarbing process but I definitely could have misunderstood.
Time itself helps the decarb process, but it is extremely slow. I found 2 months in Everclear (with no heat involved) to be very insufficient for a proper decarb. It's a fail recipe imo. It's basically a pain to rely on time alone. I don't recommend heating the mixture while it's in alcohol for safety reasons so there's another reason to separate the process.

Makes sense. I never had any luck with green dragon recipes, even when soaking in the dark for up to 2 months. Lots of anticipation for almost as much disappointment... well it is hard to be disappointed when buzzing because the alcohol still worked. That and we smoked on top of that.

Decarbing is still just as important.

Every time I've made edibles, I've slow-cooked the herb with oil in a pan for several hours (usually 3-4), and it has worked remarkably well. Have I just been getting lucky, or have I been accidentally decarbing properly?

Every time I've made edibles, I've slow-cooked the herb with oil in a pan for several hours (usually 3-4), and it has worked remarkably well. Have I just been getting lucky, or have I been accidentally decarbing properly?
The main problem I see with your recipe is that you are using a pan for a slow cook, which means you are going to have slightly different temperatures every time you try it (unless your stove has exact temps which I doubt). This will skew your results from batch to batch. I think recipes like yours have promise if you keep your variables (like temperature) the same, also I would recommend going for 8 or more hours if you can.

I have found remarkable success slow cooking the herb in oil in a crock pot for 8+ hours without the extra decarb step. When comparing that recipe with one that separates the decarb process (and shorting the time to one hour), I can say it does work just as well, however not many people have that much time for cooking. It should be noted that when comparing a regular one to two hour cook recipe without separating the decarb process, I find these types of recipes to be "lucky". Your time frame is a little quick for what I would normally suggest though (8+ hours), so you do have a complicated question that can really only be answered with more tests.

The only way to tell if your recipe is as strong as it can be is to do a side by side comparison with another recipe that you think might be better. So, make another batch of oil but this time use a recipe that separates the decarb process (google search will give you lot's of recipes for decarb). Try to keep as many variables the same in your recipe so you can be sure what works best for you.

The only way to tell if your recipe is as strong as it can be is to do a side by side comparison with another recipe that you think might be better. So, make another batch of oil but this time use a recipe that separates the decarb process (google search will give you lot's of recipes for decarb). Try to keep as many variables the same in your recipe so you can be sure what works best for you.

I think I may invest in a better heating surface than my stove top, such as a hot plate, or just use one of my camping gas stoves (which, with their adjustable valves, would still yield more consistent temperatures than my stove top). I've always used a low heat setting and stirred occasionally until the oil lost its translucence. I think I may just want to decrease heat even more and go for more time like you said.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm excited to see how potent I can get my edibles to be.

Crock pots are cheap online. Look for one that has a "Warm" setting in addition to Low or High. The warm setting works great for all day roasting. If you have a bit more to spend there are digital read crock pots that would be ideal, so you know the exact temperature you are working with.

You can add water as needed to keep the oil from evaporating/burning off.

Many recipes with marijuana often require you to decarboxylize the weed. I Googled and found a nice guide on marijuana decarboxylation here. Gonna follow it and will keep you posted on the results.

Last edited:
Many recipes with marijuana often require you to decarboxylize the weed. I Googled and found a nice guide on marijuana decarboxylation here. Gonna follow it and will keep you posted on the results.

I've never bought into the whole "you have to decarb to get high"-thing because heat is literally required to smoke and cook anything. I like to think that decarboxylation would happen naturally as you smoke/vape/cook your product, but so many sources say that that's not the case.

I'm admittedly ignorant when it comes to the edible game but still, the science there doesn't click for me.

That's probably why I'm not a chemist, though.

I've never bought into the whole "you have to decarb to get high"-thing because heat is literally required to smoke and cook anything. I like to think that decarboxylation would happen naturally as you smoke/vape/cook your product, but so many sources say that that's not the case.

I'm admittedly ignorant when it comes to the edible game but still, the science there doesn't click for me.

That's probably why I'm not a chemist, though.

Nah your logic makes plenty of sense, say you're making cookies, makes no sense to have to cook cannabutter for a half hour as a first step or whatever, if it's going straight into the oven anyway. It'll decarb itself. As far as I know/have read it's pretty simple science, unless there's some reaction I'm not aware of that no one ever talks about.

Nah your logic makes plenty of sense, say you're making cookies, makes no sense to have to cook cannabutter for a half hour as a first step or whatever, if it's going straight into the oven anyway. It'll decarb itself. As far as I know/have read it's pretty simple science, unless there's some reaction I'm not aware of that no one ever talks about.

The only thing I can think of is that the time/duration of the heat process for proper decarboxylation is an important factor. I've always played devil's advocate with myself and thought that maybe it's preferable or more efficient to be a slow process, rather than a quick one like the heat that comes with combustion.

I just think too much, that's the problem. I'm always on the fence, always looking at both sides and never able to really be confident in jumping one way or the other.

The way I understand it is that decarbing is only necessary if you're using fresh weed. Properly cured weed shouldn't need decarbing because that's the whole point of the curing process. Furthermore, if you attempt to decarb cured weed you run the risk of actually degrading the THC.