• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Pain Management Megathread (Chronic and Acute Pain Discussion) v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
when I went to er for an honest stomach virus they knew I have an rx for pain without asking me. I was admitted and on discharge they said " you get an Rx for pain from your primary, right percoset?" which is fine because i'm not hiding anything. I did not need or want a take home rx after I was discharged. I was however curious how they knew... So on researching it, californa has a database called CUREs that lists any controlled rxs anyone gets. Anyone know if mmt clinics are part of this? if I do switch to mmt out of pure desperation to stop the flare ups will every dr I go to be able to see?
Why wouldn't your doctor put you on oxycodone it's no stronger then pecocets it's just plain oxycodone instead of oxycodone and Tylenol. I'm allergic to Tylenol and have been getting the plain oxys for about 5 years now. Your doctor sounds like a moron.

Most likely because the DEA told her when pain patients ask to be switched from the AP&P formula
is because they want to run & snort them.

Most likely because the DEA told her when pain patients ask to be switched from the AP&P formula
is because they want to run & snort them.
You know that's probably spot on! What fucks my head up is all of this medical evidence coming out saying how damaging long term use of Tylenol is doesn't bother the feds but the damaging use of drug abuse does.

Man, I got my Opana ER refill today. She said we don't have any but we have some old stuff in stock. I was so happy!! Then she said, nope, nothing and said they have some generic oxymorphone at other store so I was still excited. Waited 45 min and got it and checked it in the car and dam, reformulated Opana. It works better than MS Contin but I was hoping this "strong" opiate would do more. Potentiation get my oxy right now. Took hydroxizine and Tagamet with grapefruit juice even though that hasn't worked in past. Maybe the hydroxizine will help. Just looking for more pain relief but a little euphoria would be nice?

Funny shit. I just managed, by showing my doc information showing Morphine to be weak, to jump from 60mg/day of Morphine sulphate ER, to 20mg of Oxymorphone ER a day. My pain management doctor even said that they were crushable. Is that a decent jump as far as pain relief or other effects? She did ask that I stop taking Ambien 10mg at night. I said no problem. Fuck respiratory depression. I guess I should keep an eye on the 3mg of clonazepam a day I take.

Last edited:
lord help you if you have some sort of addictive history and genuine severe pain. getting a doc that understands and shows compassion is almos like hitting a single number str8 up on roullette.

You mean a history that would blacklist you from narcotics, right. That's just a recipe for heroin addiction. It's difficult enough to just have an undocumented addictive personality and wind up with a genuine severe pain problem. Just the fact that your chances of getting hooked are so high, if they are high to begin with, and you have a valid reason to use. It took me about a year from starting at a percocet a day to a full blown oxy habit. Meanwhile right from the start I was sniffing heroin, smoking opium, sniffing dilaudid and hydromorph contin, pretty much anything I could get my hands on.

But the percocet was my choice in the beginning. Now it's still IR oxycodone but I can't take or afford enough of that to treat my pain. I took 45 milligrams today and barely felt a thing - it got me through the day without killing myself, yeah (another miserable fucking useless day that is) but taking 3 at once doesn't come anywhere close to what half a perc, 2.5mg of oxycodone, did to me in the beginning, which was almost overwhelming. I never saw this coming - well I foresaw and accepted the habit, but not the tolerance problem. Oh well. I have to figure out a way to stop having constant suicidal thoughts. I can't stop thinking about my own death. Running it through my mind. I see no reason to stay here. I'm not prescribed the appropriate amount of narcotics, and because of this I am simply unable to function whatsoever apart from maybe 3 hours a day. I hate to say it but I've ruined my life in more ways than one, and there is nothing left for me in this cadaver of a human being. Just waiting around to die at this point and with the panic attacks / extreme anxiety I'm just a ticking time bomb. I'm gonna freak the fuck out one of these days, I can't take it anymore. It's all this stupid back pain. I had a good life going. I'm nothing but scum now. Why don't they just give me something like two oxy 40's a day so I can function? That's what I need, I'd be doing damn great with that and it's not even that much. It's not fair and it's just turning me into a heroin addict. I have to go back to #4 because I wasn't like this when I was on it. I was working full time and I was doing great. Ever since I got off it I've been sitting around staring at the ceiling, all the oxy dose is keep withdrawals at bay and gives me some mild pain relief, but I'm in no way functional. And months of this useless bullshit is making me severely depressed, since I can't do anything anymore. If you just sit around in pain all day you will lose your fucking mind. I'm fucking excited to get back on H because I know I'm going to be pain free and functioning enough to be able to get a job. More than that, just to be able to wake up in the morning, rail a line and be able to go for a nice morning walk. You know, what normal people can do without experiencing agony. A simple walk around the block would be splendid. Instead I'm laying in bed like a lazy ass, despite that I am far from lazy, waiting for stupid pills to kick in.

Last edited:
to the person that asked why my dr would not switch my meds I have no clue I barely have use of my hands I cannot cut paper even with special siscorrs let alone pills. I even have care aides that put my meds in a pill box for me because I cant get the bottles open. So it should be obvious I could not hit a vien if I wanted to or to save my life even. I type with the mouse and an on screen keyboard. My issues with my hands are because I was born early not anything to do with my pain. On by the way if anyone here would benefit from an onscreen keyboard, camera mouse ( controlled by head movements) or other free assistive technology I know of lots of links to free stuff.

I think I will try telling my dr that tylonol (ie my pain meds seem to be correlated to low grade fever) some days I take just my one pill and get a fever within the hour but its not one to one every time . took my normal dose 3 hours ago no help pain wise and low grade temp now that I did not have before I took the precoset.

To Speed King. I doubt you oxymorphone ER will be crushable. I'm pretty sure it's law now that the non crushable reformulated are standard to dispense and crushable form are gone. Maybe I'm wrong but I tried my ass off to get crushable kind and no go. And about anxiety. I have super panic attacks and haven't had one since switching from Valium to Kolonopin. I take 1mg 3x day. It keeps me pretty calm but my life is crazy right now so yesterday she gave me hydroxizine which will help with leftover anxiety, itchies and nausea. I used it last night 30 min before my oxy dose and it did boost the sedating parts of the meds. Had a small effect on euphoria but not much. That's it.

to the person that asked why my dr would not switch my meds I have no clue I barely have use of my hands I cannot cut paper even with special siscorrs let alone pills. I even have care aides that put my meds in a pill box for me because I cant get the bottles open. So it should be obvious I could not hit a vien if I wanted to or to save my life even. I type with the mouse and an on screen keyboard. My issues with my hands are because I was born early not anything to do with my pain. On by the way if anyone here would benefit from an onscreen keyboard, camera mouse ( controlled by head movements) or other free assistive technology I know of lots of links to free stuff.

I think I will try telling my dr that tylonol (ie my pain meds seem to be correlated to low grade fever) some days I take just my one pill and get a fever within the hour but its not one to one every time . took my normal dose 3 hours ago no help pain wise and low grade temp now that I did not have before I took the precoset.
Ask her if you could get switched to the plain oxycodone without the Tylenol to see if that helps. I don't even know why they still make them with the Tylenol as I said above with all of the info about how damaging apap is to your kidneys and liver. I would think if someone needed that extra pain killing boost they could simply take a Tylenol. I don't think it's in there for a drug deterent cause if so it obviously doesn't work!

Woo! A brand new shiny pain management thread..

Well, my mom (not SWIM shit, my actual mom) is on bupe maintenance but has some chronic pain due to a disease, we don't know for sure but it may be leukemia or another form of cancer. We all know that suboxone don't do shit for that so.. What I want to know is, if a person has that "junkie" mark on their record, are they still able to receive narcotic medication for pain even after after surgery/treatments? I know it wouldn't work while she's taking the bupe but I hate to see her suffer like this as it is. Addiction issue aside, when she's finished would she be able to get anything after being sliced open and having her body parts tinkered with? I can't find any legitimate info on this.

Cancer causes pain. No arguments. This is a difficult time for my family so please be respectful if you can muster a bit of humanity. Thanks

there is no shortage of compassionate docs you can get help from a qualified oncologist who is experienced with pain management
there is plenty of data out there that tells us that controlling acute or chronic pain actually improves treatment outcome for addicts
good luck

That's very tough and I'm very sorry to hear that. My mom is battling cancer too. All I have to say is that I have an addictive past and recently had surgery and my pain Dr has been nothing but compassionate and is treating me very well with somewhat high doses of both extended release and breakthru meds. That's about it. I'm sure they will treat her accordingly. My mom doesn't have addictive past but they've been great in treating her cancer pain. I'll keep you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck!!

So just as an aside, how to you good folks deal with the opiate induced constipation issues? Can it cause damage to the digestive tract? I know one thing for sure is that it's not good push and try and force it.

I'm noticing a significant decrease in my frequency. I had blood in it for a few days, bright coloured, like from a cut I think, because it healed quickly and went away after a few days of that. It really scared me at the time and I would have gone to the hospital if it had lasted any longer than it did but I think it was some sort of cut from a hard, jagged poo that just healed right up. But I've had horrendously painful constipation in the past, that was so painful it was actually disrupting my life and the toilet would put the fear of God into me... these days it's not so bad since I'm around 50 - 60 milligrams of oxy a day but it's still noticeably slowly my digestion down. This is the only physical side effect I notice really, apart from some drowsiness at times. I'm upping my dose so I know it's going to get worse. Personally I find a lot of caffeinated tea helps (and compliments the sedative drugs in itself). So I drink a lot of black, oolong, and green teas.

Yea, if you get up there in narcotic mgs, you're going to have constipation, almost no doubt about it. It's gotten to where I need to take a stool softener maybe every other day or so. A while ago I got a bottle from Wal Mart for a couple bucks and I think I've had it for a good couple months now. From what I've read, you don't want to take a laxative when in our predicament. The way to go is the stool softeners. Give it a shot, I think you'll agree that if's just what the doctor ordered!

Hey there, I havent posted much her in a while as I'm relatively comfortable.

For whatever reason song wouldn't play,/ tho I'd be interested to hear it !!

Rtp

Hey there, I havent posted much her in a while as I'm relatively comfortable.

For whatever reason song wouldn't play,/ tho I'd be interested to hear it !!

Rtp

Its called time+ tragedy by Rise against. I dont know why it didnt work for you in the link but if you put the title in youtube it should come up

have had a huge break through

If you think that tylonol might be killing you at normal doses I would like to share the things I finally found helpful. My dad is a chemist so he suggested I try L-Glutathione ( reduced) zinc and D3. Today is the first day I woke up from very deep real sleep not the kind that makes you wonder if you slept but real sleep with dreams.

Yesterday was day 3 on glutathione and day one on the D3 and zinc. today, I was even able to take my precosett without triggering chills fever, dry skin, and muscle aches. I feel great not much pain relief from my meds though but I was able to take it and stop my morning w/ds without triggering hell. I think my dad might have saved my life!! sure my hip is screaming at me but I dont feel like I just want to die (faster).

I am new here, so please feel free to correct me if I am in the wrong place. I need help/support...a MIRACLE. I have had 13 spinal operations with hardware (last one 6mo.ago). I have been on 300mg.Oxy for over a year. My insurance JUST cut my meds and I don't know what to do. I was going to buy online but saw cautions against this because surely I don't wanna get arrested for suffering PAIN. Can anyone give me advice? You can pm me or email or whichever...I just don't know what to do but I CANNOT do withdrawals. thanks.

I am new here, so please feel free to correct me if I am in the wrong place. I need help/support...a MIRACLE. I have had 13 spinal operations with hardware (last one 6mo.ago). I have been on 300mg.Oxy for over a year. My insurance JUST cut my meds and I don't know what to do. I was going to buy online but saw cautions against this because surely I don't wanna get arrested for suffering PAIN. Can anyone give me advice? You can pm me or email or whichever...I just don't know what to do but I CANNOT do withdrawals. thanks.

I could be wrong but if your insurance cut it and not your dr ( i.e. you just have a funding issue but you can get the RX then it will be much easier to solve) There are charities for social giving online that are meant to help with small( ish) fincial needs.

Give forward is one specifically focused on medical
Modest needs is one I have had luck getting disabled equipment from ( a wrist brace when insurance refused to pay)
the third one I know of is called the hero network. I'm having issues getting the links to show up but you should be able to google those names.

If your dr cut the Rx that is much harder. If your insurance allows you to change drs ,maybe try that. It's not dr shopping to keep looking for someone to help you just dont go back and forth between ones that dont work out.

If you have Withdrawal because of not having any meds loperamide might hold you out of that. There is a lot of info here on bluelight on that topic. if you decide to try it read a lot first then start the normal doses and very slowly add to it like over hours until w/d stops.

if it was your insurance not your dr. then your dr might try writing a letter to the insurance about why you need it. or referring you to pain management.

For immediate pain I sometimes find hypnosis helpful. everyone is different just because one recording or video does not help does not mean another might not. Look on youtube there is lots of free ones to try. Jody whiteley is my favorite one on youtube. hope some of these ideas help some

I would call your insurance company and make a list of extended release meds; MS Contin, Exalgo, Opana ER and such and see if any of them are covered. 300mg a day of Oxy is pretty high, at least for me. Once you find one your dr can prescribe accordingly. I just got prescription coverage and it's helped but it's amazing what it won't cover. Very frustrating. I think others have given you good advice and I can't really add more. I'm on Opana ER and it's worked well on my pain. Good luck!

Bluemonkey. I loved it. Having the lyrics there was great because I understood the meaning right off. Awesome music. I plan to download ASAP. Killer song, thanks for sharing!
Apologies if this is wrong way to post I am newbie. Still learning navigation. But now I have something cool to listen to while I learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.