• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The Pain Management Megathread (Chronic and Acute Pain Discussion) v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^In regard to IBS, I have no knowledge. But was only in ceasing opiates temporarily that I remembered the issues id once had that opiates remedied.

However, just today I read of something called a low FODMAP diet.

Apparently these are foods that cause symptoms like bloating, pain, nausea, constipation or diarrhoea.

Found in many foods, when avoided can alleviate symptoms of IBS.

Google & see how it goes,

Best of luck,

Rtp

Ugh, my post from yesterday got accidentally deleted when I went to edit it. I ended up eating most of a 1600mcg actiq fentanyl lollipop yesterday and results were so so. Ok pain relief but not great, I had read all over fent is SO potent but imo it wasn't that strong at all. Am I using it wrong? I rubbed it on my cheek and gums and tried not to swallow my saliva. Anyone have experience with these lollies?

J,
How long did you let the 'juice' sit in your mouth? I've never used them before, but when I read the Fent pages, someone had advised to suck gently for 10 min, hold in the saliva as long as possible, take a break, and repeat every 15 min, as your saliva will automatically reproduce when you have something in your mouth. Just a thought.

On another note, I'm worrying about my oxymorphone use. Even though I use the amount I am prescribed (for the most part), this can't be good for my nose. I hadn't put anything up my nose in years, since back in the 90s when I was in college doing such things.

These days, I let it sit up there for a little while, then blow all the crap out, but sometimes I forget and I'm all stuffed up. I know I should switch back to all Oxycodone, which I take as directed, but the Oxymorphone works so much better. Thoughts?

J,
How long did you let the 'juice' sit in your mouth? I've never used them before, but when I read the Fent pages, someone had advised to suck gently for 10 min, hold in the saliva as long as possible, take a break, and repeat every 15 min, as your saliva will automatically reproduce when you have something in your mouth. Just a thought.

On another note, I'm worrying about my oxymorphone use. Even though I use the amount I am prescribed (for the most part), this can't be good for my nose. I hadn't put anything up my nose in years, since back in the 90s when I was in college doing such things.

These days, I let it sit up there for a little while, then blow all the crap out, but sometimes I forget and I'm all stuffed up. I know I should switch back to all Oxycodone, which I take as directed, but the Oxymorphone works so much better. Thoughts?

Anna tyvm for your reply. Yes I let the juice sit for as long as I could but I didn't leave the pop in for 10 mins, maybe 5 mins max. Waited 45 mins, then repeated. I will try to double the time I let it sit and see if that helps.

As to your oxymorphone issue, you insufflate how much at a time? You let the powder sit in your nose instead of snorting it all the way? Maybe set a timer for yourself so u remember to blow the rest out? Long term I an unsure of the effects of insufflating except for damaging the inside of your nose. Have you tried plugging ?

Anna tyvm for your reply. Yes I let the juice sit for as long as I could but I didn't leave the pop in for 10 mins, maybe 5 mins max. Waited 45 mins, then repeated. I will try to double the time I let it sit and see if that helps.

As to your oxymorphone issue, you insufflate how much at a time? You let the powder sit in your nose instead of snorting it all the way? Maybe set a timer for yourself so u remember to blow the rest out? Long term I an unsure of the effects of insufflating except for damaging the inside of your nose. Have you tried plugging ?

I haven't, but Thank you for the suggestion. I just read about that, too. I think I will look into it. I've never tried, but it can't be that bad, right?

I hope those pops work; I always wanted to try, but never asked for them. I'm also thinking of asking to go up a little in my oxymorphone script; that way I could do it less often with less substance. I'm lucky that it's allergy season...

sending out pain free vibes with...hot chocolate croissants. Did you know that Trader Joes makes them frozen? You put them out the night before and then bake in the morning. In this pain filled life, it's the little things.

Thank you for your advice and concern everyone :)

Mama Peach has an appointment with the oncologist in a couple days, so we are one step closer to finding out what this could be. Let's hope for the best!

When my grandma had knee surgery a couple years ago they wouldn't give her shit for pain, just tramadol. I thought it was fucked and when I asked the doctor why, he said its because she's an opiate addict. I had been getting her morphine off the street to help her though because she just shouldn't have to deal with that! She is very old and I thought it was just cruel.

The doctors in this area are all scared of the DEA because, while I'm aware that prescription medication addiction/abuse is nationwide, it's a HUGE problem here. Like, every other person you meet is a pill head pretty much and doctors have been losing their licenses right and left. I'm sure you all know what "hillbilly heroin" means... But I digress.

To everyone here who suffers, you are in my prayers. <3

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice and concern everyone :)

Mama Peach has an appointment with the oncologist in a couple days, so we are one step closer to finding out what this could be. Let's hope for the best!

When my grandma had knee surgery a couple years ago they wouldn't give her shit for pain, just tramadol. I thought it was fucked and when I asked the doctor why, he said its because she's an opiate addict. I had been getting her morphine off the street to help her though because she just shouldn't have to deal with that! She is very old and I thought it was just cruel.

The doctors in this area are all scared of the DEA because, while I'm aware that prescription medication addiction/abuse is nationwide, it's a HUGE problem here. Like, every other person you meet is a pill head pretty much and doctors have been losing their licenses right and left. I'm sure you all know what "hillbilly heroin" means... But I digress.

I just wrote a whole response that got deleted. So annoying.

SP,
It is RIDICULOUS that they wouldn't give your grandma adequate pain relief. She's a grandma for goodness sakes! When I'm old, I'm going to do as many drugs as my body likes, as long as I don't hurt anyone.

In regards to your mom, I would mention that you are going to review the hospital and mention a lawyer if your mom does not get adequate pain relief. No one should ever have to suffer like that. In addition, being in pain hampers recovery.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

In addition, being in pain hampers recovery.

This shouldn't be taken too lightly! A patient being in terrible pain causes one's blood pressure to rise, stress rises and in turn, cortisone (which works strongly against a speedy recovery). At least that's what I believe I've read happens. Basically, nothing good comes from a supposedly recovering patient being in sever pain.

I wish her the Best!

I'm in misery and I NEED company...Sorry for the whine, folks. ^^^Yep, I can testify about stress levels and skyrocket cortisone levels. My cortisone hovers @ 19. I think "5" is "normal".

AGREED that NO ONE should have to suffer in pain, whether acute or long term. I also believe in one's right to die on their terms, when pain is endless and not properly treated.

I just returned from my 3 month PM visit. The fucker barely made eye contact, zipped out Oxycodone scripts and sent me on my way. I tried to tell him about the constipation (yet again). I asked about Movantik, new OIC med. He gave me a sample pak of 3 pills, but told me it's FAR too expensive for me.

Call me crazy...You may be "spot on"...but the Oxycodone does nothing for my pain. It never has done more than rush in/out quickly with no pain relief. My insides are more twisted than my closest relatives. :!

I seriously do not want to exist this way any more. I have endured FAR LONGER with this level of pain than many could have. "All the king's horses and all the king's men..."

Hello all. I've been dealing with chronic back pain for a very long time. For years and years I was self medicating with alcohol and the occasional script for T3 or T4's. I finally managed to kick the booze a year ago and having to deal with the pain without my best friend has been increasingly difficult. My doc is quite good to me and I've been surviving on T4's and percocet 5/325.

Here's the fun, I haven't had a full nights sleep in about 3 months so I went in to try to get something extended release. Doc said he didn't want to go any stronger with opiates because of my alcoholic history so he scripted me Marijuana! So my application is in to Health Canada to get legal. I'm looking for advice and experiences others have had with MJ for pain relief.

I have not had much experience with weed since high school (say 25 years ago) and most times that I've tried it, it has nauseated me.

Anybody has success with medical MJ?

Shain

Hello Shain. Percocet 5/325, may not be perfect for you, but they are way better than nothing. Do you still get the T4's ?
If you don't mind me asking, what are you scripted of the 5/325's and T4's a day?
Secondly, I had my pain management doctor tell me that a pain med plus weed was like 1+1= 5 situation.
I think that equation has a lot to do with timing, but I trust the doctor and her information.
I had some weed, nothing special but decent and Percocet. I didn't have enough to experiment with it, but I have to say IMO, it boosted the effect quite a bit.
YMMV. In my case, I didn't hit a 5, but maybe a 3 or 4 at most.
I say, find a strain you like and experiment with the timing.

SP, I feel for your grandma. I do understand that in an area hit heavy by abuse, that a doctor would act like that/has to act like that. Those street pills get diverted from somewhere.
I doubt this will happen anytime soon, but if I was a doc, unfortunately I would keep certain people, in fact all people on a leash of some sort, but when it comes to the operation like your grandma had, maybe dispense them once a week, and have her take a urine test.
I'm not the biggest fan of Tramadol for a few reasons, but when I had to have them, they were much better than nothing. IDK if your grandma still gets Tramadol but if she does, there are a few threads on here about Tramadol and how to make the best of them. I wish the best for you and your grandma.

Dixi you poor poor dear, I feel terrible for you and your situation with regards to pain. If I remember correctly it's not a case of not being able to get strong pain meds (opiates/oids) but that those particular meds play havoc with your digestive system. After 12 months of non-stop oxycodone/contin I really don't get that constipated anymore, like I'm regular at doses as high as 160mgs. I have a rule that I must go once a day so sometimes to get things started it's a quick enema (Microlax)....within 2 minutes you NEED to be sitting on the throne. I'm sure you have tried everything with all combinations but there's got to be a way to improve your life pain wise.

Is there a med that you want to try but cannot get your Doctors to agree to? Is there anything else, another treatment other than medicinal that you want to try but cannot for whatever reason? Apart from wanting to be mostly if not completely pain free, what do you want to do for your pain or are you completely at a loss?

I'm pretty sure you've lay everything out for all to see in previous versions of this thread but feel free to PM me for whatever reason, I don't know you but I don't like hearing you so distressed or anyone else for that matter. Chronic pain is worse than death somedays. Without my wife and son I would see no reason to keep living this life, I'd be willing to gamble on a "do-over" and see what my next lot in life is like. Take care Dixi, you need a hug....we'll give you internet *hugs*........we all need hugs around here. Hugs 'N' Drugs.

My pain management doc switched me from Percocet 5/335, 4 X day to morphine
ER 15mgs. It for me actually works, but is kinda light weight. I was told to contact doctor after a week, and let them know this. I did and will get an answer tomorrow. Let me put it this way, I burned thru 120, 5/325's in 18 days. So she switched me to morphine ER 15mg. No breakthrough medication, just the ER.
Anyway, I will adjust my body to a point to help the medicine work, but is moving to 30mg of ER morphine reasonable? I won't even push the fact that I should be on an IR for breakthrough pain. Can anyone help? I'm facing this right now. TBH, I can't sleep tonight, because it bothers me. Anyone shed some light.

^Just old me again :/

Just to be clear you changed from Perc's (20mg oxycodone prescribed daily) to the equianalgesic dose of ER morphine. (30mgs).

Now, in a week you'd like that doubled?

It may bother you, but unless you have an extremely relaxed prescriber, it won't be doubled in that soon a space. If ever. I'm sorry you're losing sleep. Is it the dilemma/drs actions on your mind or pain?

SK, what are you now taking as adjunct pain meds? You have fibro correct?

I REALLY don't wanna see anyone on this thread kicked out of PM, & I honestly believe & quite probably can empathise with your pain.

Please tell, what kind if pain,- burning, stabbing, aching, stiffness etc hurts the most & what contributes to your disabling pain?

Then, perhaps amongst us we can contribute ideas to a more painfree you without the need of arousing drs suspicions.

These words are intended with the kindest intentions as I hope you know.

Rtp❤️

Hey folks,

Quick post, been MIA in withdrawal hell after I ran out of fent lollies. Don't see my doc until 10/1, finally found a connect for percs but the hubby found out I was scoring pills off the street and we got into a huge fight :( I tried to explain to him that my perc connection is a 50 year old man who is disabled and needs to sell meds because social security is delaying his disability but it didn't matter.

The odd thing was last night when I went to get the pills my connection and I talked about chronic pain and how it's so hard for people to understand who DON'T have to deal with it. It felt wonderful talking to someone in person who GETS IT and who provided me with some really sound advice on talking to my doc at my next appt. No the connection is in no way romantically of interest to me but I literally cried in front of this man describing what I have been through in the last four years.

Hubby and I made up, in the end he is doing his best to support me, 00 us it feels good to have everything out in the open anyway. Don't mean to be a selfish poster, will read everything later today

Thanks for listening guys

speed king. Yes im sure ill keep getting the T4's and percs. Will just be using the MJ for sleep unless something amazing happens. Im scripted T4 3xday prn and percs 2x day prn The application takes about a month, and I cant wait. will let everyone knoe how it goes.

Shain.

My pain management doc switched me from Percocet 5/335, 4 X day to morphine
ER 15mgs. It for me actually works, but is kinda light weight. I was told to contact doctor after a week, and let them know this. I did and will get an answer tomorrow. Let me put it this way, I burned thru 120, 5/325's in 18 days. So she switched me to morphine ER 15mg. No breakthrough medication, just the ER.
Anyway, I will adjust my body to a point to help the medicine work, but is moving to 30mg of ER morphine reasonable? I won't even push the fact that I should be on an IR for breakthrough pain. Can anyone help? I'm facing this right now. TBH, I can't sleep tonight, because it bothers me. Anyone shed some light.

First of all, Hugs and Drugs! LOVE IT, SKR!!!

Speed King, was meaning to check in with you to see how you were faring. Unfortunately, RTP is correct; it will take some time, but painful time, which sucks. I believe you were self medicating before, am I correct? And that's why you feel under dosed. That sucks; can't be honest, and you don't want to mess up your relationship with your pain doc.

I took an old 30 mg morphine ER this morning because the pain was so bad it woke me up, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by how affective it was. The good news is that you found the right med; now you need to up your dose. Are you keeping a pain diary? I would, with the date, time, dose and pain level to show how your meds are not enough. I use Notes on my iPhone, so it's easy enough.

J, I'm so sorry for your circumstances, and I can totally relate. When my husband found me snorting my oxymorphone, he put his head in his hands and said, "Oh honey, no..."
Now he knew I was doing it, but seeing it freaked him out. I stopped for a while, but he then saw the crying pain I was in, and told me to do what I need to do. You're right; until you've hobbled in our shoes...when I realize all the things I can't do anymore...ugh.

Dixie, one last one; when I'm REALLY stuck, I take Amitiza. It's prescribed, so I'm not sure how much it costs, but it always works. I mentioned acupuncture before; is there a school near you? They treat for very cheap. I found it helpful when I was pregnant and couldn't take meds.

Hope everyone is keeping their spirits up. Hugs and drugs all around! At least we have each other!

Have you done a cheek swab genetic test to show which meds will have a strong impact even at a low dose? I did this and it was the best thing the doc could have done. MS Contin did nothing for me and the test showed why this was. Methadone was shown to have a high impact on me and when I tried it, I got amazing results on a tiny dose :) GL!

Hey Y'all...You're right. It helps to feel "heard", whether by your doctor, therapist, significant other or cyber siblings. :! I wish I had more than my empathy to offer each of you, but sadly I don't. I can send BIG OLE BEAR HUGS, but I'm already mocked for being too "Southern".

I fought like a tiger for the genetic bucal (sic) swab for pain meds. I finally got it performed through my GP, but my PM ignored the results, left me on Oxycodone because of absorption issues. It's complicated, I confess. However, if I were being paid $290 per 5 minutes, I'd at least fucking "pretend" to listen to my patient.

I'm too "Southern" for him, too, apparently. We have communication issues and my options are sadly limited. I need TRUE pain management. I'm not getting it.

Now...I'm told by my ortho who administers Synvisc One injections in both knees (puke in the garbage can painful) to avoid TKR (both)...that insurance will not cover the hyaluronic acid gel injections in 2016. Fuck me running, er-r-r, limping. Those injections soothe the grinding bone on bone pain to keep me upright. Without those, I can't do a Lazarus every morning of my so-called life.

Hope each of you can find a reprieve from daunting pain tonight and get some rest. :\

Seems it's all about that B...B...Benjamin. I apologize. I'm just feeling like a bitter old bitch right now.

^Are we having a "bitter party" cos I'll limp over and join in for sure! PM'd Dixi.

Status
Not open for further replies.