The Mega Hip-Hop/Rap DISCUSSION Thread VII

This is a track by Jidenna called Long Live the Chief. Nice find. He's got a unique style and delivery that got under my skin. Visually descriptive lyrics fuse with dope rhythmic track that gets my body moving. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I found it on a super hero netflix series called Luke Cage. Not where I typically discover good hip hop, but gotta hand it to the score composers in the series (Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammad), the music in that TV show is really great.

Here's how the song appears in the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADrWgBZeXqY

Last edited by a moderator:
great use of the song in that scene. perfect.

Yeah, I like how they use that tune in the show almost more than the music video. Having the criminal hub centered around a music club allowed them to have some really great performances while staying in the flow of the series. It enhanced the show in every way. Pretty brilliant if you ask me.

^ right on. i haven't seen the show, but your post is really making me question why not. i know hip hop is used to enhance the scenes/atmosphere. sounds inspiring.

^ dude i'm groovin like a fool to that rn. dope skratches and beat juggles man turntablism has caught me once again. fricky-frkcy-fricky fresh

reminds me of...

Indeed it is. The Avalanches have 2 magic albums to date ( Since I Met You, is one I pull out pretty frequently, as it is a tonic!) - they are exceptional imo. The calypso samples in that track are a beautiful tempering, also.
Glad you liked JTS ;)

Kendrick is alright, but something about his voice kind of gets annoying after a while. And I feel like people hype him up too much. He is a solid rapper, who will earn a good living doing it, but I wouldn't necessarily consider him to be special

one guy I totally forgot was Jadakiss. He's somewhere in the 10-15 range for me and bump everyone down. Sorry Drake

recall last interaction with dude. fuck, rip

good sounds from FL. looks like they just started putting out music this year.

Last edited:
^ goodness gracious that ^ shit slaps hard af lol

baton rouge shining right now.

Last edited:
tumblr_o862osLsGN1s5s4rfo1_500.jpg

New age "rappers" are wack. Yall hear about this takashi69 dude? Convicted of felony counts of using a minor in a sexual performance.

Just fucking gimmicks. How to be a new rapper, become a drug addict and get face tats. I know I sound like an old hater but whatever. Shits hot garbage. Most of them atleast, the shitty ones have soured me from checking out any rapper age 22 and younger.

Fuck Earl Sweatshirt was writing BARZ @ 16. Sure shock rap was in there, the whole fuck society gimmick but BARZ at a young age. Love the teamback with cyhi, ortiz, and benton.

"These new rappers a bunch of faggots and fuck boys Ay, I bet you these niggas fuck boys Fake thugs, Gustos, CB4 I talked to 'Pac with a Ouija board, Hail Mary"

"Every other day I stood around some shit that'd make you nauseous Buck 50, son cheek falling while he talking"

Rant over lmao