The Mega Hip-Hop/Rap DISCUSSION Thread VII

Totally unknown rapper, but the lyrics of this track really speak to me. About some of the issues that plague today's society

Yeah that sucks about Prodigy dying, Mobb Deep will always be remembered by millions of people though. Truly a classic group that are almost universally idolized by an entire generation of rap listeners

Anyway, here's a completely unrelated song

if you had to pick one of these two

Lil Uzi Vert / Travis Scott

PnB Rock / Future

SZA / Sevyn Streeter

Trey Songz / The Weeknd

Migos / Rae Sremmurd

Ty Dolla $ign / YFN Lucci

Who would you take?

Personally: Travis Scott, PnB Rock, SZA, Trey Songz, Rae Sremmurd, Ty Dolla $ign

some like migos, future, and ty$ i think are on another level when it comes to like actual song writing. perhaps the tie would be migos/rae cause they both make huge hit records as a group... slight edge towards rae i dunno maybe..

Yeah idk I just thought that those choices were all similar to the other one in ways.

Been listening to a lot of Lil Wayne recently. The more I think about it, he's gotta be in my top 5 favorite rappers. From a sheer volume of work, and longevity wise, he is killing it.

1. Biggie
2. Nas

It actually gets really hard after those 2. Biggie and Nas are on their own level IMO, for different reasons but regardless. After them, this is more just a loose hierarchy of my favorite rappers but in somewhat order:

3. Lord Finesse
4. Lil Wayne
5. Fabolous
6. Meek Mill
7. GZA (would be higher but he didn't really make a ton of music compared to modern guys)
8. Big L (same deal as GZA but he also died early)
9. Scientifik
10. Prodigy
11. KRS One
12. Kanye West
13. 50 Cent
14. Snoop Dogg
15. Jay Z
16. Tupac
17. Havoc
18. Kool G Rap
19. AZ
20. Drake

Thats my honest to god top 20. Kind of inconsistent criteria sometimes but im gonna stick to it. I like old school rap, but I'd be kidding myself if I said some newer guys didn't entertain me more. I feel like a lot of people just automatically disparage new rappers compared to old shit and hype up old shit that wasn't even really that hot just because its old.

i know what I like, and it's my list so SUCK IT!

always felt like Tupac was a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's great, but not top 10 to me

Drake sneaks into the top 20. He's a really witty rapper who has a smooth delivery. I really don't care whether he's "hood" or not

Fabolous always gets me feeling good. He's just so cool man! Lol

oh well, this list changes by the month it seems and I probably forgot some people

oh well, this list changes by the month it seems and I probably forgot some people

no kendrick ?

i would just like to express my admiration for jay-z. it is such a trip to watch 4:44 then say... "big pimpin"

man, i love ugk on that record tho!

"A little over a year ago I was in bondage. And now I'm back out here, reaping the blessings, and getting the benefits that go along with it. Everything that's out here for kings like us. The reason why we like this—this jewelry and this diamonds and stuff—they don't understand, it's because we really from Africa. And that's where all this stuff come from. And we originated from kings, you know what I'm saying? So don't look down on the youngsters because they wanna have shiny things. It's in our genes, know what I'm saying? We just don't all know our history, so…"

tumblr_mft7x9uHWV1qhprufo1_500.jpg

no kendrick ?

i would just like to express my admiration for jay-z. it is such a trip to watch 4:44 then say... "big pimpin"

man, i love ugk on that record tho!

Kendrick is alright, but something about his voice kind of gets annoying after a while. And I feel like people hype him up too much. He is a solid rapper, who will earn a good living doing it, but I wouldn't necessarily consider him to be special

one guy I totally forgot was Jadakiss. He's somewhere in the 10-15 range for me and bump everyone down. Sorry Drake

Kendrick is alright, but something about his voice kind of gets annoying after a while. And I feel like people hype him up too much. He is a solid rapper, who will earn a good living doing it, but I wouldn't necessarily consider him to be special
i feel exactly the same. EXACTLY.

Retch: delinquents an degenerates/ lean an neck

Da$h: vices / 17 more minutes

$ha hef: mafioso psalms / krime pays / supervillian

Yop: singles on soundcloud

Chiefy maserati

Bossman nolo/ drama

30shotghacha

Old lamb$ and midwest millz.

Aston matthews: versace ragz/ 316

Lots more underground