Recruiting New Study of Prescription Opioid Misuse (Pay $35 to $500) for online survey

RTI-99

Greenlighter
RTI International (www.RTI.org), a nonprofit health research organization, is seeking individuals to do in a 25-muinute online survey concerning their use of prescription pain relievers. Upon completion, you will receive a $35 Amazon gift e-card as compensation.

Eligibility:
-You must be an adult (18 years or older) and live in the United States
-You must abuse/misuse prescription opioids in the past year

The survey is voluntary. All survey responses will be kept completely confidential and only the research team will see your responses. Survey data will be compiled into a single dataset for analysis and all personally identifying information (e.g., email address) will be removed.

For over 50 years, RTI has conducted major public health studies such as the U.S. News and World Report’s America’s Best Hospitals and the National Survey on Drug Use and Health. RTI scientists are committed to conducting high quality research for the public good and maintain the upmost ethical standards. The survey is approved by RTI's IRB (Study number 67429). The purpose of the study is to better understand how people consume opiates and the development of tolerance, withdrawal, and addiction.

If you are interested in participating, please email the survey manager at: [email protected]. You will need to copy and paste the address into an email (Sorry. We can’t put clickable email addresses into ads.)

Put “CL Survey” on the subject line.

Within 48 hours, you will receive an ID code and a link to the survey home page. You will be asked two quick eligibility questions. If you are eligible and agree to participate, you will be taken to the survey. Eligible respondents who complete the survey will receive a $35 Amazon gift e-card as compensation. You may only take the survey once. You must complete the survey in one sitting. If you start survey, then close out, your ID code will no longer work.

If you have questions about this study, please email us at [email protected]

Last edited:
Hey RTI. :)

It's always interesting to participate in surveys and researches. I'll check about this one.
I've been part of tons of them but had received any money for it.

Last edited:
Great. Let us know if you have any problems or don't receive a reply. We have funding from the federal government, and this is a very important area of research. Thanks so much! RTI

is there a page on RTI's website mentioning the study or that email address? this sounds like a scam.

Hi,

Thanks for your note, but this is not a scam. We at RTI typically don't put links to our research projects on our website, as there are so many. The study is approved by RTI's IRB and if you message me at RTI-99, I will gladly provide more details and my personal e-mail. For this study, RTI has partnered with the Global Drug Survey to get our message out about this study. The rationale for the project is conduct a nationwide survey of experienced opioid abusers to understand the factors that influence the onset of dependence symptoms. By understanding this process of tolerance and addiction, we hope to help new users better identify and manage the early signs of tolerance and then addiction.

This definitely smells like a scam! Do not provide any information to this person without verifying this is legitimate. Please provide a direct project telephone number and your OMB approval number in addition to your full name. All federally funded research projects require both OMB and a project hotline or project email address. People interested in participating in a research project should NOT have to direct message you at an email address that does not even have an RTI domain name to gather basic information to verify you are not scamming for people's information. What government agency is funding this project? Who is the government contract officer? To me, it looks like a cut and paste job of an old Craigslist Ad posted by RTI in an attempt to phish for information. Please provide your personal RTI email address if you are real.

And...up to $500 for an online survey! Ha!

Thanks for your post! I agree this sounds like a scam. Their website indicates they are a UK based survey research organization with no indication that they are partnered with RTI.

Hi,

We appreciate everyone's radar to ensure that these research studies are legit and not LE. If you would like, you may call the study PI directly at: 919-541-7129 or e-mail [email protected]. Just a point of clarification, we at RTI have partnered with The Global Drug Survey to aid in study recruiting and survey hosting. GDS runs the largest survey of harm-reduction in the world. RTI is one of the research partners hosting a survey in the United States. The $500 is for a raffle we are having to increase participation. The payment for a survey is $35. GDS has numerous partnerships, and we decided to forgo any public information to we can insulate ourselves from scammers who only want to grab the funds and provide false information. If you e-mail directly, I am happy to provide our IRB certificate and FWAS--federally funded grant number through the National Institutes on Health. If you'd like more information, please DM me or e-mail.

Also just to clear up some incorrect facts above. OMB is only required for research conducted by the government. NIH researchers do no need OMB. Our research is reviewed by our local IRB. So if CDC or SAMHSA supports the study then OMB is needed. NIH doesn't require it. Also, contact info for adverse events and study info is only required to be given to persons at the time of consenting into the study. This info is typically located on consent forms. This information is not required for study recruitment. Lastly, why would someone go through the effort to set up a website and create such an elaborate ruse? It isn't like researchers are asking for 1,000 bucks to we can get our Nigerian inherentance! Though some of us Are happy to try!!!

Hi everyone

Just to clarify something -- I'm one of the investigators for Global Drug Survey (not the principle though), and I was aware about the partnership with RTI for this project. So, I can confirm that this is not a scam :)

I emailed them, got a response with a link and an ID#. A message "from the FBI" indicating the study/site is a scam that's in place of their actual webpage.

So it looks like this study was a scam...