Favorite Single Line in a Song ver. I am he as you are he

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
Hey guys, lets continue with posting our favorite single lines in a tune. Last thread died of old age and has been buried here in the ole Archives....

In honour of the thread title, I thought I'd share with you how I've always loved the imagery in I Am The Walrus. Especially this one:

"Semolina pilchard climbing up the Eiffel Tower". Despite apparently referencing a real dude, from it I get images of a hokey Japanese horror movie from the 50's.

Have at it. :)

Wow the other one is done, huh?
Well then..

From Kevin Barnes (of Montreal) "Death is not a Parallel Move"

Song Link

"All of my thoughts come from a foreign host
Now I feel just like a ghost."

A nice nod to perception and reality. And oh how true of a statement in my opinion. This is definitely my favorite line in a song ever. So much truth.

From Blitzen Trappers "Furr"

Song Link

"now my fur has turned to skin.
And I've been quickly ushered in
To a world that I confess I do not know.
But I still dream of running careless through the snow.
And through the howlin' winds that blow,
Across the ancient distant flow,
It fills our bodies up like water till we know."

A lyric about Evolution in my opinion. Previous lines mention it in analogies and to me it's even in the title "Furr." Just realizing what we may have come from and why we are the way we are now.

From Dinosaur Feathers "Vendela Vida"

Song Link

"We can't find any peace when we sleep
We try, but as soon as we're down and we close our eyes,
we cannot help it
We're dreamers
We're dreamers"

And glass half empty quote about the harsh reality of the world we live in today.

That's what I got for now. And those are definitely some of my favorites off the top of my head. Simple or maybe not. Meaningful to me? Surely..
Lyrics are what you make of them..

lately i've been having a strange urge to parent offspring for the first time in my life and i'm thinking a lot about this line from "be" by common, which is one of my favorites:

waiting for the lord to rise, i look into my daughter's eyes
and realize i'ma learn through her
the messiah might even return through her
if i'ma do it, i gotta change the world through her

What a great thread, you rock Willow!

This has been stuck in my head lately, from a Neil Young song:

This whole world keeps spinnin round
It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin down

And one of my favorites, from the Flaming Lips:

You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

And some Dead

Ripple:
Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow

Good Lovin':
Even a blind man knows when the sun is shining.

Throwing Stones:
Rat cat ally, roll them bones, need that cash to feed the jones. And the politicians throwing stones, singing ashes, ashes, all fall down.

^^^ good choices :D i've always loved that line in throwing stones (def one of the better bobby tunes/post 1970s dead songs IMO). do you realize is one of my favorite songs ever, it would be hard to pick one line though - the whole song is so beautiful lyrically in its simplicity.. especially when you're candy-flipping with giant blasts of confetti going off all around you =D

waves.jpg

Considering how dirty this world is, spiritually and materially, I find one of my favorite single lines (how can you only have one favorite line?!?! :)) from a song called Wash It Away.

For as dirty as this world is, there is always beauty and purity to see, for instance step into a great untouched area of nature where the filth of humanity has not spoiled it yet (mainly people's greed and hatred and also the dogshit venom perpetuated into minds by mass media) ok I am going way overboard here so let me get on with my first favourite single line:

"today's a good day for my ego to die"

Last edited:

bodegon-beatles-1577378-o.jpg

Hey guys, lets continue with posting our favorite single lines in a tune. Last thread died of old age and has been buried here in the ole Archives....

In honour of the thread title, I thought I'd share with you how I've always loved the imagery in I Am The Walrus. Especially this one:

"Semolina pilchard climbing up the Eiffel Tower". Despite apparently referencing a real dude, from it I get images of a hokey Japanese horror movie from the 50's.

Have at it. :)

Love this thread thx.

semolina.png

http://onabbeyroad.com/feature0306.htm

28z8QMd9rn-2.png

=D

My next favorite single line:

'The truth is always the
anti-venom.'

over and over (lost and found) by clap your hands, say yeah:

"you look like david bowie, but you've nothing new to show me" love that song/line.

couple from st. vincent

huey newton - "fuckless cornsharks, toothless but got a big bark"

and

Summer is as faded as a lone cicada call
Memories so bright I gotta squint just to recall - from the song regret

seriously, st vincent might be the best band ever

"I don't wanna be your friend I just wanna be your lover no matter how ends no matter how it starts

Radiohead house of cards

Only one I can think of ATM

There must be some way out of here said the juggler to the thief.

aaa162.jpg

What solace lies in the arms of fate

-The ill embrace of uncertainty
When did I leave this in other hands
-To be pulled down at chance

Ripped away by destiny-claws
Am I another of fate's possessions
Dwelling the lie of freedom

Just another straw pulled at random

Reclaimed by deceiving time
A silent judgment I can not overrule

Drawn back into the origin-vortex
Uprooted and ground to dust
Retracted into anti-existence
A magnet repelled by life's polarity

Denied the self control of fate
we flow suspended in semi-life
Until the ever imminent day
when oblivion claims our breath

Nowhere indefinitely. Not dead, not alive
Existence-patterns ripped of symmetry. As will and
fate divide

Have I appeased the gods of fate
Am I allowed another day
Must I die to escape
the scanning eyes of death

over and over (lost and found) by clap your hands, say yeah:

"you look like david bowie, but you've nothing new to show me" love that song/line.

I love Clap Your Hands
And that line is great, really a good jab at generic indie bands.

waves.jpg

Considering how dirty this world is, spiritually and materially, I find one of my favorite single lines (how can you only have one favorite line?!?! :)) from a song called Wash It Away.

For as dirty as this world is, there is always beauty and purity to see, for instance step into a great untouched area of nature where the filth of humanity has not spoiled it yet (mainly people's greed and hatred and also the dogshit venom perpetuated into minds by mass media) ok I am going way overboard here so let me get on with my first favourite single line:

"today's a good day for my ego to die"

thank you so much for introducing me to this. resonates with me hard atm.

edit: had to come back, WOW. i need this in my life so bad right now. again, thank you. never heard of dude or the song but this shit is powerful to me.

'IM A VICTIM OF MY EVIL DEEDS BUT I DONT WANT YOUR SYMPATHY, IM COMFORTABLE IN MISERY' - Lil Ugly Mane

That's always just stuck with me, sums up my life pretty well.