• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Not sure what dose of xanax to take with methadone

Dinkus123

Bluelighter
Been on methadone for 5 years on 2 week carries and started using it to get high this past month. I never taken benzos with my methadone ever. I take around 400 mg of methadone to get the nod I want. Now just wondering what xanax dosage is safe to take with methadone for a first time. Im not going to take 400mg with it thinking about 200-260. Don't want to overdose, I have a very high methadone tolerance though, just no tolerance to benzos whatsoever. Im getting the 2mg bars.

to be honest, well, at least on my end, if you've been using the done' for 5yrs w/ no worries and are at 400MG, then you really do not have much of a worry as long as you stay within reasonable dosage; see what happens w/ the .5 but and take it from there. I max'd my methadone out at 95MG and would still eat around 2MG/day. then again, I was somewhat used to eating xanny at this point but just give it time and see how all plays out. you'll be fine unless you do something REAL DUMB and just swallow a boat load of xanny.

And I am only on 60mg methadone daily but when I do want to get high I take upwards to 400-500 mg methadone to get the real nod I chase.

It's not safe to take xanax when you're taking 400mg methadone... Ask a doctor.

All I can say is start very low on both doses because these two classes of drugs are incredibly synergistic, moreso than people often plan on. Lost lots of friends mixing alprazolam with opioids, most of whom had huge tolerances. Stay safe brotha.

I ended up drinking 240mg methadone, and ate 0.5mg xanax. I guess I slept? for 3 hours... and feel sober now.. shit lol

Actually im an idiot they are the 2mg bars I took half the first time. So it was 1mg that was probably why i passed out for 3 hrs. when I woke up I took another half so now i've done 2mg of xanax definately not taking more. Thinking of taking more methadone since I don't really feel it, bnut going to wait a little bit.

Don't ramp up your dosages with these two classes of drugs. I woke up in the emergency room, or in ambulances a number of times. If you are not concerned for your health...(ie taking 240mg of methadone with 1mg of xanax) at least be concerned for your wallet. Those bills add up!

It's not safe to take xanax when you're taking 400mg methadone... Ask a doctor.

I know as I mod you have to say this, but lets be REAL here. we are all addicts here, and the dude is downing 400MG of Methadone; pretty sure he has a decent tolerance and has done enough drugs since he's on the done' anyway.

benzo/opiates are always a no, but ask any dope fiend and he's probably downing benzos like its nothing, which is why he may one day drop but we've all done it and he's looking for advice from someone whose done it himself, rather than ask a Dr. who will tell you something he knows not much about considering he has ZERO experience w/ both drugs (experience meaning TAKING the drugs).

400mg of methadone at once is a good way to prolong your heart rhythm and end up having an arrythmia and going into cardiac arrest. There is a reason the max dose of methadone is like 200mg or whatever, going read up on methadone and prolonged QTc interval and torsade de pointes arrythmias and ask yourself, is it worth the risk?

And mixing xanax with that high of a dose of methadone is ludicrous and it disgusts me that a doctor would allow someone to be on such high methadone doses because you're also now basically opiate dependent for live or are going to basically have like a year of very intense shitty withdrawals and PAWS if you ever decide you want to get off opiates all together (they cause sexual dysfunction in long term, very low testosterone levels, complete loss of motivation and eventually a permanent state of depression)

But yea don't combine xanax with methadone... I mean you tried it and "fell asleep" for 3 hours from 240mg and 1mg of xanax, I hate to say it but that may have been a minor od, your respiratory rate was probably very depressed while "asleep". This combo kills ruthlessly, it does not discriminate, benzos and opiates are a no no, period. If you value your life that is, or more importantly, care about what it would do to your family if something happened to you.

Sorry if I'm coming off as a dick but this is all the reality.

you guys make me laugh; yes, benzos and opiates SHOULD NOT be combined, but it happens daily. so rather than tell the dude to go ask a Dr. or that you are doing the wrong thing, lets tell him what to do w/ what he has because as an addict, we all know if he has that type of done' and benzos in hand, they are all going in his mouth in a matter of time. so yea, we can say, dont do that, its bad, and then he swallows 400MG and 6MG xanny and ends up dead, or we give him a reasonable dosage since we've probably all done it ourselves, esp. me, and see where it goes from there.

if you've been taking 400MG of methadone/day then you can probably handle 240MG and .5 xanny, then I dont know what to say. maybe you are allergic to benzos or something but .5 of a benzo is not going to drop many.

one more thing - people who never really did benzos expect a certain type of "high" from them; they are used to treat anxiety or help people sleep, you do not get any type of high like you would with opiates/opiods.

when anyone first starts taking benzos and has no tolerance, or no anxiety, they will be KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT; seriously, you will just fall asleep and feel ZIP! you wake up absolutely fine. there is no "high" from a benzo. unfortunately, back in the day I would lie to my Dr. to get a script and just ate them to help sleep and eventually got hooked and would take them along w/ dope to get knocked the fuck out; create even more of a nod. a benzo is gonna knock you out regardless and then once the other drug hits you are usually out like a light w/o a tolerance.

Just because something happens daily doesn't mean that it's the right thing to advocate.

My post was merely my best advice, I had no obligation as a moderator to give it.

It's like do you really think that I don't know that 400mg methadone means we're dealing with someone who's likely a little bit opiate tolerant?

Why might I recommend the OP try asking a doctor over blindly following the advice of some online forum post? Oh, right, when the risk of death, respiratory/cardiac arrest are extremely high. I lost too many people to methadone and xanax to take chances, they all had incredibly high tolerances, that didn't mean jack. So IMO it's worth a shot to at least try to deter others from taking the same lethal combination.

$0.02

@bostonbrowntown

I take temazepam and xanax to sleep everyday. Even with my tolerance I wouldn't take it with that amount of methadone....I just don't think having an extremely deep sleep that is very hard to be woken up from, and having a family member think you are dying call an ambulance...in which they give you narcan which sends you into screaming withdrawal, and then having to pay 500 for the ride, and 1200 to be strapped to a gurney in the ER for 5 hours is worth it.

@tricomb

I'm with you on this...so many of my friends succumbed to opiods/opiates and benzos (especially xanax) that I have a strong sentiment about this as well. Luckily I did not die, but my experiences with this combo have left a lasting impression on me.

well, I shot heroin for 8yrs, should I ask my Dr. if the heroin is bad for me? I am pretty sure he is fully aware of what is happening; esp. since he's at the clinic at this point and I assume he realizes his addiction brought him to a bad place.

nothing against you, or anyone here, but I hate when I make a post asking a question and people say "ask the Dr." or "you should not be doing that". yes, I completely understand both but, again, we are addicts here, and when the drugs are in front of you, or in your hand, you are taking them, so lets come up w/ the safest thing to do rather than leave him up in the air w/ no info.

what if he thought eating 8MG of xanny was normal to go w/ his 240MG done'? I just think we are always better off giving our advice based on past/present experience and what WE KNOW about the drug.

you guys make me laugh; yes, benzos and opiates SHOULD NOT be combined, but it happens daily. so rather than tell the dude to go ask a Dr. or that you are doing the wrong thing, lets tell him what to do w/ what he has because as an addict, we all know if he has that type of done' and benzos in hand, they are all going in his mouth in a matter of time. so yea, we can say, dont do that, its bad, and then he swallows 400MG and 6MG xanny and ends up dead, or we give him a reasonable dosage since we've probably all done it ourselves, esp. me, and see where it goes from there.

if you've been taking 400MG of methadone/day then you can probably handle 240MG and .5 xanny, then I dont know what to say. maybe you are allergic to benzos or something but .5 of a benzo is not going to drop many.

one more thing - people who never really did benzos expect a certain type of "high" from them; they are used to treat anxiety or help people sleep, you do not get any type of high like you would with opiates/opiods.

when anyone first starts taking benzos and has no tolerance, or no anxiety, they will be KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT; seriously, you will just fall asleep and feel ZIP! you wake up absolutely fine. there is no "high" from a benzo. unfortunately, back in the day I would lie to my Dr. to get a script and just ate them to help sleep and eventually got hooked and would take them along w/ dope to get knocked the fuck out; create even more of a nod. a benzo is gonna knock you out regardless and then once the other drug hits you are usually out like a light w/o a tolerance.

People do combine opiates and benzos true and they take that risk every time they do it. Almost all opiate related od's involve a benzo. This is a harm reduction site and I don't think anyone, in the spirit of harm reduction, can give this dude good advice on combining 400mg doses of methadone with xanax...

If you do it, half your regular dose of methadone and start with .5mg of xanax. Xanax doesn't really have a noticeable high. It fucks you up, but you can't really notice it much yourself. It relieves anxiety and makes you slur in high doses but there is little to no euphoria from it at all. And this is why it's so dangerous. People try to chase a non existent benzo high while on an opiate, respiratory depression is magnified tenfold, and they od and die.

My advice: if your going to do it, keep the doses of each low. But the problem with benzos is they can really impair your judgement and make you think more is a good idea...

I said I take 400 mg methadone to get high before I was taking benzos. I only took 240mg methadone last night along with 2mg xanax(I thought I took 1mg) and I remember being awake for an hour or two and than next thing I know I woke up in bed and is now 8:00AM. So basically the xanax just knocked me the fuck out and I went to sleep probably becuase I had no tolerance to benzos at all. Kind of a waste, at least I didn't wake up dead. Thanks for all the replys guys I appreciate it. If I do decide to mix the two again I will probably only do 0.5 mg xanax.

I said I take 400 mg methadone to get high before I was taking benzos. I only took 240mg methadone last night along with 2mg xanax(I thought I took 1mg) and I remember being awake for an hour or two and than next thing I know I woke up in bed and is now 8:00AM. So basically the xanax just knocked me the fuck out and I went to sleep probably becuase I had no tolerance to benzos at all. Kind of a waste, at least I didn't wake up dead. Thanks for all the replys guys I appreciate it. If I do decide to mix the two again I will probably only do 0.5 mg xanax.

240mg if methadone is still a lot, that's equal to like 500-600mg of oxycodone if I remember right.

Look just be safe. This is a possible deadly combo. At least have someone hanging out with you.

Personally I always liked going the other route....speedball!